Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: anyone of you a "fan" of Bill wyman?
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 15, 2011 05:30

By "fan" do you mean fan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 05:32 by Brue.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 15, 2011 06:05

Yes, Bill was always fantastic live, and he came up with so many great bass lines, his use of space and silence is unique, always swinging. Besides the most well-known examples there are others songs where he shines, Sway, No Expectations, Moonlight Mile, Rocks Off, Memory Motel, Beast Of Burden, all of Ya-Ya's, and the list goes on.

smileys with beerRe: anyone of you a "fan" of Bill wyman?
Posted by: 5string ()
Date: September 15, 2011 06:12

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beersmileys with beerwinking smileyloved Bill! he steppeped aside for -his own reasons Daryll did a fine job in a tHough situation--and was a nice guy! bet D would love to have Bill do a few in the event of any shows--we would too--cheerss to a few last gigs including everyone! UH HUH

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 15, 2011 07:22

Lots of Wyman fans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 14:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 15, 2011 07:52

Yes,it would be great to see Bill play again with the stones - whether it be a few numbers or a full concert.Same with Mick T as well.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 15, 2011 08:08

A Big Fan Here! thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 15, 2011 08:17

Bill had a right to leave when he did...for many reasons...including being sick of Keith.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 15, 2011 08:23

Excepting Charlie, you can tell the greatness of a Stone by how much Keith tries to diminish them.

Date: September 15, 2011 08:32

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 15, 2011 09:12

Big fan here.

rock photographer-Koh Hasebe

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 15, 2011 09:14

Of course.
He is the bass player for The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 15, 2011 09:26

24FPS
He wasn't as glamorous or as good looking as the others and therefore people felt they could identify with him more.

I've always thought he was the most traditionally handsome of the group (& my mum agrees)...

Date: September 15, 2011 09:27

M4000D
He shagged more chicks in the 60s than Mick and keef did combined.

Yeah baby

According to 'Life' he just made them weak cups of tea.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 15, 2011 09:47

Sleepy City
M4000D

Yeah baby

I've always thought Keith never liked Bill, and that quote from "Life" (which I think he mentions twice) kind of proves it. That's such a petty thing. Why would you mention it twice about him in your book and not much else?

Date: September 15, 2011 09:53

tomk
Sleepy City
M4000D

Yeah baby

I've always thought Keith never liked Bill, and that quote from "Life" (which I think he mentions twice) kind of proves it. That's such a petty thing. Why would you mention it twice about him in your book and not much else?

I was more disappointed with Keith's almost complete dismisal of Bill's contributions in the book than pretty much anything. You're right though, they've obviously never been close, with Bill being much friendlier with Mick (I was pleased to see Bill attending the premiere of a Mick Jagger movie in the "Being Mick" documentary, something Keith would never do).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 15, 2011 10:09

Sleepy City
tomk
Sleepy City
M4000D

Yeah baby

I was more disappointed with Keith's almost complete dismisal of Bill's contributions in the book than pretty much anything. You're right though, they've obviously never been close, with Bill being much friendlier with Mick (I was pleased to see Bill attending the premiere of a Mick Jagger movie in the "Being Mick" documentary, something Keith would never do).

Yeah, about ten pages on Freddie Sessler, and hardly anything about Bill. Maybe if Bill had provided Keith with a steady supply of Merck cocaine he would have rated higher in "Life".

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 15, 2011 10:59

Well, Bill's attitude towards Keith in Stone Alone wasn't over friendly either ...

C

Date: September 15, 2011 11:07

liddas
Well, Bill's attitude towards Keith in Stone Alone wasn't over friendly either ...

C

Maybe not, but at least he acknowledged his contributions to the band.

I haven't read Stone Alone in 20 years, must re-read it again soon.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:18

Sleepy City
tomk
Sleepy City
M4000D

Yeah baby

In 40 years time, Keith has hardly ever said anything positive about Bill's playing. it's very strange, and maybe it has to do with the fact that it is difficult as a musician to judge your own and your bands' output. But I've always found it strange that they never acknowledged Bill, while they raved about Darryl Jones, whom just never fitted the bill (pun intended) at all. In my opinion, Bill was, together with Charlie, the integral part of the Stones -it's the songs written by Jagger/Richards, played by a band holding Wyman and Watts, fronted by Jagger. All else seems less important in a way, and can be substituted. And that includes the guitar playing of Richards!

Mathijs

Date: September 15, 2011 11:22

Mathijs
Sleepy City
tomk
Sleepy City
M4000D

Yeah baby

In 40 years time, Keith has hardly ever said anything positive about Bill's playing. it's very strange, and maybe it has to do with the fact that it is difficult as a musician to judge your own and your bands' output. But I've always found it strange that they never acknowledged Bill, while they raved about Darryl Jones, whom just never fitted the bill (pun intended) at all. In my opinion, Bill was, together with Charlie, the integral part of the Stones -it's the songs written by Jagger/Richards, played by a band holding Wyman and Watts, fronted by Jagger. All else seems less important in a way, and can be substituted. And that includes the guitar playing of Richards!

I under-appreciated Bill's contribution for many years, perhaps because of Keith's (& the others to a lesser extent) attitude.

One reason Ringo's drumming is perhaps (over?) appreciated is because Paul McCartney raves about it at every opportunity, such a difference to The Stones' attitude.

Date: September 15, 2011 11:34

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:34

bill leaving the stones is the same as john bonham and led zepelin. stones should have stopped when wyman retired. they are still a god band by average standards, but they are not supposed to average. their sound is completely different and the SPONTANEITY AND DANGER of their music - that garage band effect - is totally gone.

Date: September 15, 2011 11:45

What maked Bill stand out less on record is the fact that he was always turned low in the mix on the albums.

Live, he gets the space he deserves, and always play well, imo.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:45

Darryl is a fantastic musician, but Bill had a special, signature sound that is missed. Don't know what you got 'till its gone.

Date: September 15, 2011 11:59

DandelionPowderman
What maked Bill stand out less on record is the fact that he was always turned low in the mix on the albums.

Surprisingly, he was often louder on the earlier stuff (check out 'I Wanna Be Your Man').

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 15, 2011 12:02

Apart from his contribution to the Stones, I like Bill's post-Stones music. He plays what he likes, with fabulous musicians who get on well with each other, it's fun, and he certainly does not do it for money. He helps keeping the roots of "our" music alive, because he loves it.

Date: September 15, 2011 12:26

MartinB
Apart from his contribution to the Stones, I like Bill's post-Stones music. He plays what he likes, with fabulous musicians who get on well with each other, it's fun, and he certainly does not do it for money. He helps keeping the roots of "our" music alive, because he loves it.

Yes, & he's also been more prolific than any of his former band mates.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 15, 2011 12:29

'Bill Wyman just wants to take photographs of girls legs!' Good old Perks!

Didn't fit with the whole drug scene of the stones and was pushed out due to this, especially by Keith.

Date: September 15, 2011 13:57

crumbling_mice
Didn't fit with the whole drug scene of the stones and was pushed out due to this, especially by Keith.

Nor did Charlie (apart from the mid 80s when they weren't touring), but Keith's always welcomed & praised him... though perhaps more since Bill left.

Date: September 15, 2011 14:11

Another 'Hot' Bass-player:

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home