Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: anyone of you a "fan" of Bill wyman?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2011 08:15

vermontoffender
I do find it odd that so many people who have followed the band since '94 seem to hate it so much....

I don't hate the current incarnation of the Stones. I love them live. I overlook the bass now instead of focusing on it and enjoying it. It's the studio, where subtlety is needed, that I miss Bill the most. For a stone faced, stand in one place, Buster Keaton like character, he could sure infuse that sound with a lot of emotion.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:02

Can't see Bill ever coming back for more than one night only. He wasn't treated in the best way and tolerated by Keith, despite him really helping Keith out on numerous occasions. Charlie was liked more cos he was musically more advanced than either Mick or Keith. At least we still have the Bill Wyman years to relive. I always thought it a bit tight that Keith would re-record the basslines and the ones I've heard weren't anything special in terms of bass playing

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 16, 2011 12:09

I'm glad the Stones continued after Bill left. I discovered the Stones in 1990 and did not see them live before 1995. I wish I had seen them with Bill. I have since seen Bill with his own band and also with Charlie at the Boogie 4 Stu shows and I love the way he plays.

I met Bill during one of his book signings and man, is he obsessed with women...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 16, 2011 12:15

I met Bill during one of his book signings and man, is he obsessed with women...

What happened? grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: justafan ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:09

He is one of the originals and he is missed. Obviously they were way better with Bill than Daryl and he was always funny to watch in the videos. The way he exchanged glances and facial expressions with Charlie was always good for a laugh. I've always enjoyed Bill's interviews as well. They're informative and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. There is always that remembrance that Bill was doing a 14 year old girl when he was what around 50? I know it was fodder for the tabloids and made a joke of at the time, but I'm sure it was upsetting to lots of people. I know although they were much younger at the time that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did the same thing. Should we just keep their public and private lives separate? I don't know. I'd love to hear some others opinion on this...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:18

The majority of Rock musicians were 'doing' under age girls in the 60's and 70's. If you are off your tits in a hotel in the back of nowhere and on tour and some girl offers it on a plate and she's hotter than hell...do you...

a) ask for proof of ID ?
b) Have amazing drug fuelled sex with her?
c) Ask her if she has a friend who can join in too?

Illegal or not illegal, state/national laws don't apply when rock bands are on tour.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:24

justafan
He is one of the originals and he is missed. Obviously they were way better with Bill than Daryl and he was always funny to watch in the videos. The way he exchanged glances and facial expressions with Charlie was always good for a laugh. I've always enjoyed Bill's interviews as well. They're informative and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. There is always that remembrance that Bill was doing a 14 year old girl when he was what around 50? I know it was fodder for the tabloids and made a joke of at the time, but I'm sure it was upsetting to lots of people. I know although they were much younger at the time that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did the same thing. Should we just keep their public and private lives separate? I don't know. I'd love to hear some others opinion on this...

I couldn't give a toss about their private lives when it comes to music. Heck, I still listen to (& enjoy) Gary Glitter, but that doesn't mean I'd hire him as a babysitter...

Posted by: justafan ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:26

Yes I understand about someone you meet like that, but that doesn't apply in this situation does it? Or is that how Bill met her originally? Even if that's the case he knew she was 14 and continued right?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2011 17:44

I can see that you're just 15/13 years old, but I don't want your ID .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 17:45 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 16, 2011 17:52

well he did marry her...

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 16, 2011 17:59

Let's don't talk about Bill's eventual obsession for women.

I mean that is something typical male anyway, to be 'obsessed'. Whether it is connected with women, trains, beer, cars, Rolling Stones, your own mother, or whatever...

Let's answer the original question, again.

Yes, I am a fan of Bill Wyman, but only in relationship with The Rolling Stones. Don't care to much for his solo-works.

IMO, Bill is a very important ingredient to this delicious Rolling Stones. If the Rolling Stones were a pizza, Bill would be the cheese or the tomato-sauce, something like that. Not that I like 'tomato-sauce', but combined with...well.

Bill (along with Charlie) is the perfect 'counter-weight' to sexy jumping Mick and his dirty henchman Keef....

Date: September 16, 2011 19:58

Without Bill no Rolling Stones

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:28

Agree as Bill is a very big part of the Stones sound....Without him we
really wouldn't have the band we love..

I alway loved how Bill would look right at you during a concert...
At a Stones show in Philly, in 75 he took my pack of smokes..
(NEVER THREW THEM BACK---Just smoked them)...haha..

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:52

Bill will always be the number one bassplayer in the Stones.
Though since he decided to leave the band we have to stick with what the other guys think is the best!

Darryll aint to shabby either. Still it's hard to replace such a bassplayer as Bill!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: varv ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:02

Big fan of Bill Wyman. Not only as a musician but I think most of the best Stones interviews were with Bill. If they put out a box set of Bill Wyman interviews I'd be first in line. Great sense of humor,great stories,and a Rolling Stones fan himself.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:56

Glad to see so make like minds here liking Bill so much. Where were you when he needed us in the years before he split? Don't know what you got until it's gone sure seems to be the case here. I could care less how old his main squeeze is, I think the whole 14 yr old Mindy thing was a case of the old bugger actually falling in love, I mean he courted her and her parents before embarking on that wild ride. I am glad my taste in women has matured in direct proportion to my physical age and as said so well above, I am not considering this guy for my babysitter, just my favorite bands bass player!

His bass playing is more and more in my mind these days as I listen to the Stones tunes I love. So rhythmically perfect and as I'm beginning to realize, actuall rather flashy. He rips high notes up the neck and plays these amazing melodic runs in the tinest spaces that were left for him in that music. Really great stuff. Some of his fills actually make the whole song for me these days. It took me alot of years to admit it but Bill Wyman is as key to the Rolling Stones sound as Mick or Keith is to the songwriting. period. I doubt he is coming back and all of us are too blame for not acknowledging him for his role when the time was prudent and might have helped him decide to stick it out some more. Bill we LOVE you, you ARE the Rolling Stones. Maybe more so than Keith, Mick or Charlie. peace.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: September 16, 2011 22:16

now on this board who would return to his/her former job, just for a few evenings?

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Date: September 16, 2011 22:17

24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS
Excepting Charlie, you can tell the greatness of a Stone by how much Keith tries to diminish them.

why that's rather nasty 24FPS, maybe true when he was addicted and insecure but now that he is less addicted and indifferent I'll bet his relationships to the band have matured a bit. peace.

With all respect I am referring to the current day Keith. He trashed Mick in 'Life'. The only begrudging compliments he came up with for Bill are that he had 'talent' and 'timing'. For some perverse reason the only Stone he can compliment on a consistent basis is Charlie. Not a word of the feeling Brian played with. Not a nod to the incredible lyrics Mick is still writing. Not even a toss to Bill for keeping the band together on stage when it could get very ramshackle in the 70s. Maybe it's an English thing, being closed with your emotions. Unfortunately I've seen it with some great, but insecure artists who don't like their spotlight encroached upon.

Well glad you clarified that for us. The book is just that, a photograph of memories, captured at the time the book was written. Keith has so much great stuff to tell us that it would have been out of context and boring if he spent more than a coupla pages complementing his bandmates. I read the book and did not get the impression that Jagger was trashed. In fact musicially speaking he was praised over and over again. Keith was in his own world for years and the things in the book barely scratched the surface of his personal relationships in the band. The whole Mick signing a solo deal on the back of a Stones contract was sleazy and deserved the few pages of anger that Keith honestly related to us. Bill kept to himself for years and wasn't in Keith inner circle of friend so of course didn't get much print there, same with Mick Taylor really. As far as Keith reacting to getting his spotlight encroached on , that is complete rubbish since he could care less about spotlights and self admittedly almost killed his dreams with heroin trying to avoid it. peace.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 16, 2011 22:40

24FPS, what a great post at the top of this page. You said it all.

Date: September 16, 2011 23:09

the juf
now on this board who would return to his/her former job, just for a few evenings?

Well Pauline, I should suggest the following.

Let's just listen to Bill and The Stones.

And while we kiss (I am just like Bill), let's read some nice stories by Gerard Reve, while we are sitting next to the fire-place...

Date: September 16, 2011 23:28

keefbajaga
the juf

Well Pauline, I should suggest the following.

Let's just listen to Bill and The Stones.

And while we kiss (I am just like Bill), let's read some nice stories by Gerard Reve, while we are sitting next to the fire-place...

Can I get you two a cup of tea or perhaps a cool drink? peace.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home