Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Real Roadblock To A Stones 2012 Tour
Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 11, 2011 21:29

The real roadblock to any future Stones tour has little or nothing to do with Keith's book and the current status between Mick and Keith but rather the self destruction of the western world. With London burning and the United States destined to be a third world country (after it's soon to come economic collapse) the chances of any 2012 anniversary tour are looking slimmer and slimmer with each passing day. Can anyone blame them for not wanting to venture out into this type of environment? Could make Altamont look like a walk in the park! Man, do things change fast in our world today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 21:31 by thewatchman.

Re: The Real Roadblock To A Stones 2012 Tour
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 11, 2011 21:32

I see the glass half-full.

Date: August 11, 2011 21:36

Edith Grove

You know me well enough to know that I am a glass half full fellow myself, but let's not kid ourselves, the western world is heading into dangerous waters, not that we haven't been navigating dangerous waters since our existence, but this doesn't look good as far as the Stones are concerned. If only 2012 had fallen in 2010 or 2011 and U2 hadn't been out on the road......

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 11, 2011 21:41

thewatchman
Edith Grove

You know me well enough to know that I am a glass half full fellow myself, but let's not kid ourselves, the western world is heading into dangerous waters, not that we haven't been navigating dangerous waters since our existence, but this doesn't look good as far as the Stones are concerned. If only 2012 had fallen in 2010 or 2011 and U2 hadn't been out on the road......

....and if only they weren't collectively pushing 70s years old...

Date: August 11, 2011 21:52

R
thewatchman
Edith Grove

....and if only they weren't collectively pushing 70s years old...

No doubt their window of opportunity (physically speaking) is narrowing with each passing day, however, I think they still have enough left in the tank to pull off some sort of mini tour next year, but not if their lives are on the line. I don't think Mick wants anything to do with touring under the current circumstances both safety wise and economic wise.

Date: August 11, 2011 22:05

Mick is a rather astute businessman.

I'm sure he needs to see predictability in the economy, and until these governments can get a handle on things......well, that's all I'll say about that.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:05

thewatchman
With London burning and the United States destined to be a third world country (after it's soon to come economic collapse) the chances of any 2012 anniversary tour are looking slimmer and slimmer with each passing day.

Well then they should just tour and skip the US and UK - problem solved.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:08

i think they will tour,
a few concerts in the summerof 2012, London, Paris and New York.
Thats it.
Fortunately, we have Ronnie and the Faces and Charlie touring, Bill Wyman and probably Mick taylor doing some gigs in Europe.
as for the Stones..............??????????
god only knows(good song title by the way).
byeeeeee
jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:09

In 1981, the US had interest rates of near 20% and the economy was in shambles...interesting that they took 'Tattoo You' on the road rather successfully.

In 2002 they seemed to think it was ok to go on tour, after the collapse of the markets after 9/11.

U2 JUST completed the most successful tour in history.

Watchman, you don't know what you're talking about...give up already.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:10

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Date: August 11, 2011 22:12

Edith Grove
Mick is a rather astute businessman.

I'm sure he needs to see predictability in the economy, and until these governments can get a handle on things......well, that's all I'll say about that.

True, Mick is no fool and he isn't going to put his life on the line just for one last shot at glory. Might want to consider spending their last years in the studio churning out whatever is left in the artistic tank, much safer that way.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:16

If they had Wyman & Taylor back in the fold and lost the backup singers, Blondie
& stuck Chuck off to the side like Stu or Nicky Hopkins use to be...

They would have no problems selling tickets in the States...
Look at what U2 just did..

MLC

Date: August 11, 2011 22:17

I don't think Mick worries about "putting his life on the line."

Just keep charging those inflated ticket prices and that will keep out the street trash miscreants.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:21

Crisis or no crisis, if people can see the Stones for less then 50 bucks, they'll go.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:24

Who will sponsor this Tour and more importantly, Who will insure them?

Date: August 11, 2011 22:27

treaclefingers
In 1981, the US had interest rates of near 20% and the economy was in shambles...interesting that they took 'Tattoo You' on the road rather successfully.

In 2002 they seemed to think it was ok to go on tour, after the collapse of the markets after 9/11.

Good points, sure hope you are right, but that only addresses the economic issue. There are still safety concerns that are very real, and as I said, the world can change overnight and is getting more and more dangerous with each passing day. My guess is that Mick probably doesn't feel all that comfortable with the idea of touring these days from a safety point of view.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:29

I agree with both sides of this discussion...and therefore, if I was MJ, I would do the obvious. Play a one off concert and see what the response/demand was...if it was good, play another, if the ticket sales kept stable, keep adding gigs until a noticable downward trend started -then call it a day.

I still think that if it was marketed well as the last tour, it would be a financial success despite the collapse of the western markets. The riots mean @#$%& all, and won't affect the tour. How would a few gangs of rioters stop a gig, Stones fans would kick their ass if they started any silliness.

Date: August 11, 2011 22:30

njlstones815
Who will sponsor this Tour?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:32

Theres no business, like Show business... LIKE NO BUSINESS I KNOW!!!

Recession resistant... derpression resistant... riot resistant....
Heck, Nero had people buying tickets to see him play a
fiddle, when the devil went down to Georgia, as Rome burned.

...................................... THE DUDE ABIDES
..................... THE STONES WITHSTAND

Not to mention old ass Paul McCartney just completed a copy cat baseball park tour, which the Stones invented.......

THE STONES WILL ROLL...BANK ON IT!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 22:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 11, 2011 22:34

Lady Jayne
"It's the economy, stupid!"

Yes, that's what was implied by stating that the United States economy is on the verge of collapse. The world is also becoming more dangerous with each passing day because of economic unrest and instability.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 11, 2011 22:38

I think The Rolling Stones should be the least of our worries if Western civilization is really coming to a crashing downfall.

Good thing it isn't.thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2011 23:50

thewatchman
treaclefingers

Good points, sure hope you are right, but that only addresses the economic issue. There are still safety concerns that are very real, and as I said, the world can change overnight and is getting more and more dangerous with each passing day. My guess is that Mick probably doesn't feel all that comfortable with the idea of touring these days from a safety point of view.

I think mick had a helluva lot more to worry about regarding 'safety' after Alamont and the Hell's Angels.

Date: August 12, 2011 00:03

treaclefingers
thewatchman
treaclefingers

I think mick had a helluva lot more to worry about regarding 'safety' after Alamont and the Hell's Angels.

Yes, but we have to make every single world event relevant to the Stones in some way! winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 12, 2011 00:09

I think if the US is really headed for economic collapse, as a small businessperson, that concerns me far more than whether 3/5 of the Rolling Stones tour again.

Date: August 12, 2011 00:11

71Tele
I think if the US is really headed for economic collapse, as a small businessperson, that concerns me far more than whether 3/5 of the Rolling Stones tour again.

Please see my previous post! Lol

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 12, 2011 00:31

Maybe we should add "Small Todger Jokes" to the list as well.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 12, 2011 00:45

The Stones could summon 1000 of the super wealthy around the world, and charge one million each.
One show and U2 record is gone. Yes, that wouldn't do wonders for the rest of us.

Posted by: Dutch guy ()
Date: August 12, 2011 00:58

Dutch guy says nothing to do with U2, world economy or dangerous environments, but fact that Stones are over. If we are honest this has been situation for little while. This is not slur on Stones (ROCK STONES!) - and not to anger Stones fans - but simply the end of the road guys. We love Stones but all things will end. But can still enjoy the music! Always have Stones to carry with us, but find other ways to rock! Salute Stones for long service! Now, what about future of the world?

Date: August 12, 2011 01:00

Something will be cranked out next year to capitalise on the big 50. That mightn't be a your but I'd expect a greatest hits or something. They're working on a Some Girls deluxe aren't they?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 12, 2011 01:14

Watchman, how many Stones CDs do you own?
Have you ever bought a ticket and watched The Rolling Stones in performance?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home