Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 12, 2011 21:51

Here is the video for the first single from Noel's upcoming solo album, High Flying Birds - what does everyone think? It's quintessential song-writing from the master, IMO. Wonderful stuff. I hear shades of Different Class era Pulp in the chorus.

Re: OT: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 12, 2011 22:27

Can't agree Al...it sounds like too many other Oasis songs, it's just too formulaic and there is nothing new. THis might be said for anything after their first two albums. I like Noel and think he is a good song writer but this as dull as dishwater. The video and lyrics are a litany of cliche's.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 12, 2011 22:44

Like it. Not a huge fan of Oasis as I find them too derivative but I like this. Less swash and more buckle IMO.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 13, 2011 00:21

Yeah, I was actually remarking to a friend yesterday that surprisingly I like what I've heard from the Beady Eye album better than this. Big fan of Noel's but I gotta say I don't know how many classics he's got left in him, which is fine. His strength is big, stirring anthems, for me anyway, and I find when he gets more introspective and mellow the bunk lyrics (please Noel, stop mentioning your soul in song!) and obvious chord progressions are more noticeable. I'm hoping he's still got a Some Might Say or Stay Young(a frickin' b-side, for God's sake)in him but if he doesn't, the back catalogue is always there. I watched his press conference and he did say he'd be doing Oasis tunes in the live set, so that's cool.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 13, 2011 00:40

I know some people don't like Oasis and whatever but some of their songs are quality and Noel surely has to be acknowledged as a great songwriter.

I love the single and I'm looking forward to the album too!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 13, 2011 01:01

I am a Liam man but this tune is alright.

I obviously like Beady Eye more, cos of the swagger. Noel is great live, but it ain't the same with little brother.

It's like Mick without Keith, I could see Keith live 7 days a week, but Mick maybe 3 or 4 nights.....

Date: August 13, 2011 01:08

MadMax
I am a Liam man but this tune is alright.

I obviously like Beady Eye more, cos of the swagger. Noel is great live, but it ain't the same with little brother.

It's like Mick without Keith, I could see Keith live 7 days a week, but Mick maybe 3 or 4 nights.....

Beady Eye are ok but it's all rather same old same old, as with a lot Liam's writing. He's still doing the whole Lennon wannabe thing.

Noel was the brains behind the operation and I think this album will show that.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: August 13, 2011 02:00

Check out the B-side. A great tune in my opinion. You can find it here:

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Date: August 13, 2011 02:22

RnT
Check out the B-side. A great tune in my opinion. You can find it here:

[www.uncut.co.uk]

I haven't heard this one yet. Thanks

Date: August 13, 2011 04:35

Yeah but it's the same as with The Stones, I don't care about the brains in music, in fact,I don't remember the last time I used my brain for anything more complicated than the football betting. Hopefully that'll change soon though.

Sad but true. I want crotch music,not radiohead.

Marvin Gaye,Stones, Oasis, Faces, The Who, Chester Burnett, Beady Eye and Johnny Paycheck is crotch music to name a few.

Date: August 13, 2011 04:51

I think you're doing a bit of a disservice to artists like the Stones, the Who and Marvin Gaye etc. There's a lot more to these artists than just crotch music.

The brains behind the music is important to anyone who really wants to understand it in my opinion but that doesn't neccessarily mean that it's pretentious or self-important.

Date: August 13, 2011 19:43

Well IMHO Crotch also means Heart.

I just wanna take it away from bands and artists like Pink Floyd, God bless them but when is there really any time on a saurday night to play Pink Floyd or radiohead?

I wouldn't even wanna hear The Smiths on a saturday night, music should be about feelings, not calculatings.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: August 13, 2011 23:01

Has a Kinks feel to it....

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: August 13, 2011 23:31

batcave
Has a Kinks feel to it....

Totally. Specifically Dead End Street. I like it though.

Note that Noel's a lefty who plays guitar right-handed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 23:44 by Zack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home