Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What'so great about Knebworth?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 28, 2011 04:34

love the knebworth setlist to bad youtube wont show wild horses for some reason but all other songs can be viewed

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 28, 2011 04:48

That is interesting that youtube wont show wild horses, but overall I am very impressed (and appreciative to everyone who has posted) with all of the Stones clips on Youtube, and very very appreciative of the Stones for being pretty cool about allowing most clips to stay up.

It seems some bands are militant about not allowing anything to be posted there... so proost to the Stones for being cool regarding clips... and for that matter, I also offer them thanks for being cool about the trading of Stones bootlegs... as far as I know anyway... Im sure the usual suspects/trolls will have some smart ass crap do you have to say about that, as usual.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 04:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 28, 2011 07:18

Great setlist, sloppy performance. Better than the '76 Europe tour, but worse than the best shows on the '75 USA tour.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 10:09

You did have to be there to be honest.

Has it happens i managed to sprain my ankle on the friday evening and had to stop at the back of the crowd so i could rest it and not get knocked etc anyway after a few songs of the stones i said to my mate, this is no good lets make our way to the front amazingly some people were leaving so make it easier to get down to the front, we got to about 30 yards from the front and then it hit me why i love them so much it was so just amazing to get so close and capturing the atmosphere, magical feel about it.

I think it was the longest set list they have done and obviously the songs they did stood out.

It was a hot sunny day and a cool evening and the waiting for over four hours just added to the frustration and then the release of anticipation when they did finally appear.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 28, 2011 10:28

I recall that Knebworth was right one week before the famour Reading Rock Festival. It was the year when I ran away from Home (which was Germany at that time) as I couldn't stand anymore the village I lived. The reason was that I saw the Stones in Stuttgart and though it was much to big at lousy the notes of Street Fighting Man gave me the kick to hit the road.
Knebworth was for the very first time that the Stones did for the very first time a much longer show in Europe with an amazing setlist and it was by far one of the most magical nights to remember in the 70ies. It was also a whispering wheeping goodbye to the intimacy of Theatre and even Arena shows. The crowd at those days were amazingly cool and one week later at Reading you met the same bloke. So do not judge if you haven't been there. It was still a free flow spirit which did not happen in Fitness Studios and prefectly shaped bodies.
I won't say it is not good today, but the shows are different. And by far the quality of the sound and the performance is sometimes much to perfect to represent Rock and Roll.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 28, 2011 17:31

It's been a nice setlist and a huge concert.
That's fine, - but nobody said Knebworth's been that great all in all.

Apart from this I don't find the 76 tour so bad, - like many always say.
Most of them haven't seen the shows anyway! Maybe the boots don't sound that great.

But I've been to all those tours and I also saw quite a few from those 76 gigs.
And I can tell you many of these 76 shows had a very good and warm feel to them.
Me and my friends enjoyed them a lot! More than some other tours gigs.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 28, 2011 23:18

flilflam
I just listened to this live version of the Stones playing Hand of Fate in 1976. Listen to it please with an objective ear. The song is played at a very rapid and frantic pace, and Jagger sings as if he has just ran a marathon and just wants to get finished so he can take a nap. Even Charlie is off. He hits the cymbals and percussion almost as much as Ringo Starr did with the Beatles. I have heard many fans praise Knebworth to the limit. I just don't get it. Do not tell me you had to be there to appreciate this train wreck of a song. If you were there and liked this piece, you must have been stoned out of your head.

I would much rather see a carefully rehearsed new song from A Bigger Bang or any song from Four Flicks than this piece of you know what.

ahhhh no,,,, to just stick with your youthfull dismal 40 licks version all right
kneb rocks and the bad boy s are rollin

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 28, 2011 23:38

i like knebworth 76..it's the 70's hyde park 69..

it's seems to be a lot of different audience recordings of this show....

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 28, 2011 23:43

flilflam

Terrible - but this was 1976 and that's their worst live year.

To be fair I had a friend who was there at Knebworth.

He said that 10cc were on before them and their equipment kept breaking down (they were using tapes!!!) everyone had to wait for it to be fixed, it dragged on and on.

When the Stones came on;
1) It was very very late
2) They were tired/drunk/stoned.

1976 + tired/drunk/stoned = not good.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: July 29, 2011 06:53

What's so great about Knebworth?

Well, according to Lynyrd Skynyrd, the best part of Knebworth was...Lynyrd Skynyrd. And hey, nothing wrong [and lots right] with their set, so to each their own.

But even though it's sloppy in that 1976 sort of way, it also has a few moments that I sort of really like. Some of the recordings of Midnight Rambler from this show have the vocals very buried in the mix at the very beginning, and when Ronnie jumps in on his Strat during some of the early minutes of the song, it's really nice the way he rides on top of Keith's main riff. I think the tone of this might be the very definition of "Stratocaster Squawk." Well, it's honkin' like a duck, or quackin' like goose, or whatever...help me out with the similes, guitar player guys! Anyway, it's good Stratty tone, and it's a few nice little licks...for the first minute or two of the song, anyway.

Date: July 29, 2011 08:57

rocker1
Well, it's honkin' like a duck, or quackin' like goose, or whatever...help me out with the similes, guitar player guys!.

It sounds like two pickups out of phase?

Is that a similie?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:20

Sketchy version, but listen to Ronnie's solo - he was brilliant in 75/76 - in fact a lot of what he played then sounded a bit Mick Taylor-ish. Interesting how his soloing style had changed by 1978 (although still capable of fast, fluid playing), which then degenerated by 1981 (when his control over his guitar was brilliantly liked to a man struggling to control a pneumatic drill....)......

Date: July 29, 2011 13:06

This is not great (mostly because of Mick's lazy vocals).. BUT... listen to Bill moving it.

Bill was great, always.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 29, 2011 14:37

Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Silver Dagger
I'd take the 76 tour anyday over the 81/82 tour when the songs were played too fast and sounded cold and emotionless. And being played in stadiums made them lose the intimacy of hearing them in an arena.
Anyway, getting back to Knebworth - you had to really be there to appreciate it. Yes, sure they played sloppy but the excitement of that setlist far outweighed any musical shortcomings. Sometimes it's good just to live for the excitement of the moment and that sure was the case here.

We had been kept waiting for 5 hours and for them to finally take to the stage was an incredible relief after the scorching hot day and then freezing cold night.
Hearing Route 66, Stray Cat Blues, Around And Around, Dead Flowers, Let's Spend The Night Together and other songs for the first time was an incredible experience - under-rehearsed or not. In fact I'd rather hear the Stones play under-rehearsed than many of today's groups' slick and over-polished note perfect live shows. This is rock'n'roll we're talking about - not a classical orchestra.

Yes, I'll go with all that, (although I did really enjoy Bristol & London '82 too) Knebworth for me at least was a fantastic weekend, great setlist, great atmosphere and in those days perfect renditions of songs (ala Pink Floyd etc) were becoming very unfashionable anyway...(just getting me tongue out me cheek - I can just imagine Keith thinking about stuff on that level too.......cool smiley.) - .....yeah brilliant weekend - Lynyrd Skynyrd too of course - the nearest anything ever came (for me at least) to that after was Bob Dylan et al at Blackbushe in '78 - but still not there with the Stones.

Sounds like you were at a lot of the same festivals I went to in the 70s Mike. I managed to get to all the Knebworths from 74 to 79

74 - Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Alex Harvey Band, and Tim Buckley
75 - Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, Captain Beefheart, Roy Harper, Linda Lewis
76 - Stones, 10CC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band
78 - Frank Zappa, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile,Wilko Johnson''s Solid Senders
78 - Genesis, Jefferson Starship, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Devo, Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section
79 - Led Zeppelin, New Barbarians, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Southside Johnny, Commander Cody, Fairport Convention

Also made it to both The Who shows at Charlton 74 and 76, and a few Hyde Park free shows - Queen and Kevin Ayers/Nico.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. You jammy b**tard!!

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 29, 2011 14:38

flilflam
I just listened to this live version of the Stones playing Hand of Fate in 1976. Listen to it please with an objective ear. The song is played at a very rapid and frantic pace, and Jagger sings as if he has just ran a marathon and just wants to get finished so he can take a nap. Even Charlie is off. He hits the cymbals and percussion almost as much as Ringo Starr did with the Beatles. I have heard many fans praise Knebworth to the limit. I just don't get it. Do not tell me you had to be there to appreciate this train wreck of a song. If you were there and liked this piece, you must have been stoned out of your head.

I would much rather see a carefully rehearsed new song from A Bigger Bang or any song from Four Flicks than this piece of you know what.

Sure it is rough, but to me it has a great vibe!!

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 29, 2011 15:18

Knebworth is the Holy Grail. Hand Of Fate their best tune and this is a great version IMHO. The meaning of the lyrics are all about my life right now, I got a similar situation as the guy in the tune, so I can really identify (I'm also in a hurry).

Stones=Sloppy and Rock N Roll.

NOT too much rehearsed, click tracked and utter boring, we got bands like Punk Floyd, coldplay and radiohead to serve up that alley. I'd rather get shot than attending one of their gigs I tell ya.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 31, 2011 18:35

The setlist was great but the performance at least on record like everything from 75-76 is subpar I'm sure it was great if you were there.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:41

Max'sKansasCity
It seems some bands are militant about not allowing anything to be posted there... so proost to the Stones for being cool regarding clips... and for that matter, I also offer them thanks for being cool about the trading of Stones bootlegs... as far as I know anyway... Im sure the usual suspects/trolls will have some smart ass crap do you have to say about that, as usual.

They do seem to be cool about it. I looked for some Dylan clips recently and couldn't find shit. I was looking for some Mick Taylor/Dylan clips and it was impossible. Maybe they're back up, or somewhere hard to find, but they were not easily accessible. Regarding the Stones, I do remember around the time last year of the official release of 'Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stone' the clips on YouTube vanished from that project. But otherwise, yeah, they're pretty cool about it. And I guess ABCKO is too.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:54

Right on

Facts be known, it is probably the freeks (like me) who are delighted to watch those grainy, crappy sounding, crappy looking clips who probably give the artist most of their freeking moneysmiling smiley happily handing it over.

I saw a study result recently (forget where) which indicated that it is actually the people who download movies on the pirate sites who are the ones who actually pay to go see movie at the box office. I dont pay to go to the movies anymore (because most movies suck, and I can see their suckyness in 6-8 months on my home TV... for "free" )..... but if some kid is willing to download it, he/she is probably not going to be satisfied with seeing it small... probably also will pay to see it on the big screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 19:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 31, 2011 20:15

slew
The setlist was great but the performance at least on record like everything from 75-76 is subpar I'm sure it was great if you were there.

Ergh, LA '75 is one of the best performances they ever did. Easily on par with the Taylor years

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 31, 2011 20:33

Won't have a word said against Knebworth...I wasn't there, but made it a few years later to see Zeppelin and The Barbarians. What I like about Knebworth is it is raw,yes, under-rehearsed and ragged as @#$%&...but that is what I like about the Stones, I hate the over practised, choreographed stuff that they have been performing since 81. YOu Gotta Move at Knebworth is perfect Stones. For those of you who were there, I am envious and made a bad decision not to go. It used to be a great festival. After the festival the nearest town (Stevenage) used to just packed with hippies anf rock fans - we'll never see those scenes again. It's all too frigging corporate these days.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 2, 2011 02:02

stevecardi - I have the LA Forum gig in its entirety and its ok the band is good. Mick's vocals though suck.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 2, 2011 08:06

I'm the one that uploaded this Hand of Fate! I love it, it's my favourite version, like to call it the toughest piece of music ever played.

Never has Mick sounded more cynical, hard. Keith's guitar has the same feel & atmosphere. And Ronnie plays well. Love it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 08:08 by Ringo.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 2, 2011 08:22

john lomax
Sketchy version, but listen to Ronnie's solo - he was brilliant in 75/76 - in fact a lot of what he played then sounded a bit Mick Taylor-ish. Interesting how his soloing style had changed by 1978 (although still capable of fast, fluid playing), which then degenerated by 1981 (when his control over his guitar was brilliantly liked to a man struggling to control a pneumatic drill....)......

+1 Coke stiff fingers in 1981. Sometimes great though. Rons solos on IYCRM (1975), A&A (Toronto 1977) are great.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 2, 2011 08:25

flilflam

God no. No no no. Much rather anything at all from 1976. It's not a great version this Hand of fate but that's alright. Doesnt matter. Mick and Keith works the song thru.

Date: August 2, 2011 10:38

flilflam

A ragged version, but Ronnie´s guitar solo makes it worthwhile to listen to, imo. BTW, how can you separate Charlie´s cymbals from the recording´s hiss here??

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 2, 2011 10:48

GravityBoy
This is not great (mostly because of Mick's lazy vocals).. BUT... listen to Bill moving it.

Bill was great, always.

The worse thing about is Keith playing NO solos (both are played by Ronnie!).

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 2, 2011 10:51

melillo
love the knebworth setlist to bad youtube wont show wild horses for some reason but all other songs can be viewed

It can be seen in several other places on the internet though:

[video.mail.ru]

I prefer this to LA Forum '75 (no horrible keyboards!).

Date: August 2, 2011 10:57

GravityBoy

Bill was great, always.

Nothing wrong with this version, apart from Keith not playing his solo. Great!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 2, 2011 11:27

I love that un-rehearsed performances, i love the New Barbarians mostly because of this. That's R&R

Ronnie keep on rocking!!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1952
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home