Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: I Wanna Be Your Man
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2011 11:22

He He, no it's more like a song-title from Jagger/Richards than a dance...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 20, 2011 11:44

Come On
Blue
Swedgen72
Blue
Well, for starters, great electric slide work!

Anyone who says Brian Jones was overrated needs to listen to that solo. Still awesome nearly 50 years later. Incredible to think no one had played slide guitar like that in the UK before this.

I concur!

I have to confess I never thought the guitarsound on 'I wanna be your man' with Stones is from slide-guitar, sounds more like Brian had plugged in a small transistor-radio...

It's Brian through a VOX AC30, with the treble boost engaged. And turned up way loud.

Mathijs

Date: July 20, 2011 11:52

...and with that treble boost engaged and turned up way loud, isn't that sounding like a slide-guitar even if you don't use a bottle-neck?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 20, 2011 12:03

Come On
He He, no it's more like a song-title from Jagger/Richards than a dance...

Yes I'm aware of that. My point is that it's not a song about a novelty dance (the twist, the locomotion, the watusi, the swim, etc). The left that sort of thing to pop groups & teen idols.

Date: July 20, 2011 12:13

Hey Sleepy, are you a lucky owner of this album?

on the back of the sleeve it shows after every song what kind of dance-style each song represented. Kind of funny info imo. there a couple of slow-fox as I remember...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:29

Come On
...and with that treble boost engaged and turned up way loud, isn't that sounding like a slide-guitar even if you don't use a bottle-neck?

It's top boost and no.

[www.voxshowroom.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-20 20:32 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 21, 2011 01:12

Sleepy City
Ronald Isley sounds like he could sing like that all night (& probably good), yet John Lennon sounds like he can sing that only once, despite taking it down from 'F' to 'D'...

Whatever, both versions are better than the original

Actually, Lennon could sing it only once...that day at least. It was the last song recorded after a day of sessions where they recorded 11 songs in 10 hours for their first album. He was also suffering from a cold. A second take was attempted, but his voice was shot.

Date: July 21, 2011 11:21

Jah Paul
Sleepy City
Ronald Isley sounds like he could sing like that all night (& probably good), yet John Lennon sounds like he can sing that only once, despite taking it down from 'F' to 'D'...

Whatever, both versions are better than the original

Actually, Lennon could sing it only once...that day at least. It was the last song recorded after a day of sessions where they recorded 11 songs in 10 hours for their first album. He was also suffering from a cold. A second take was attempted, but his voice was shot.

Yes I know that, but thanks anyway.

I doubt very much if he could've still sang like that at 30, let alone 60 or 70.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2011 11:29

Sleepy City
treaclefingers
But not too much taste to cut novelty records....ie, My Girl, Under The Boardwalk

I said novelty dance records...

Anyway, "The Twist" was soooo 1961.

I did understand what you said.

Date: July 21, 2011 11:36

treaclefingers
Sleepy City
treaclefingers
But not too much taste to cut novelty records....ie, My Girl, Under The Boardwalk

I certainly wouldn't call 'My Girl' a novelty record of any kind though (& probably not 'Under The Boardwalk' either), it's a soul classic!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:24

Sleepy City
I certainly wouldn't call 'My Girl' a novelty record of any kind though (& probably not 'Under The Boardwalk' either), it's a soul classic!

Whatever you call them, definitely two of the worst songs released by the Stones in the Brian era...thumbs down

Date: July 21, 2011 12:26

Don't forget Suzie Q...quite uninspired work from the Stones...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 21, 2011 12:34

rootsman
Sleepy City

Whatever you call them, definitely two of the worst songs released by the Stones in the Brian era...thumbs down

I love 'em both myself (the originals & the RS versions).

Date: July 21, 2011 12:35

Come On
Don't forget Suzie Q...quite uninspired work from the Stones...

It's OK, but certainly not as good as the Dale Hawkins original (it's still far more convincing than The Beatles version of 'Carol' though!).

Date: July 21, 2011 12:38

It's OK, but certainly not as good as the Dale Hawkins original (it's still far more convincing than The Beatles version of 'Carol' though!).

Ehrrr....yes...probably...confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 21, 2011 15:21

neptune
Sleepy City
neptune
One of the most revolutionary rock songs ever. Slide guitar had never been used like that before.

As an actual song it isn't particularly good, but the brilliance is what they did with it of course.

I agree with you. It's the IDEA of using slide guitar like that coupled with a really fast-paced rhythm section that makes the song novel for its time. Otherwise, the song itself is kind of bland.

I agree. the song is stupid and corny an sich but it is the band that rapes it that makes the difference. Probably the roughest and rawast cut of piece made by any white musician by then. That's the punk, that the garage, that's anything you name with 'rock' with attitude you hear there. Even The Stones would never be so raw and sonically authentic ever since. A historical recording. I think it is widely under-rated, or referred solely as an oddity as The Stones making a "Lennon/McCartney-cover", and being their first 'hit' or something bland like that. Come you critics, music historians and all, listen to the damn track! It rocks like hell!

I still rate Brian's slide guitar the most effective quitar solo ever in the recorded history of the Stones with Keith's "Sympathy" solo.

- Doxa

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:52

Doxa
I still rate Brian's slide guitar the most effective quitar solo ever in the recorded history of the Stones with Keith's "Sympathy" solo.

Brian's slide solo burst the doors open in 1963, charting new paths for how rock guitar could be used. I'm sure guys like Ronnie Wood, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Syd Barrett, Lou Reed, etc. took notice. A very underrated and underappreciated contribution from Brian, as you say, Doxa, most music critics mention the same old lame stories about John and Paul giving away this crappy-ass tune to ALO. If I had written something as crappy as I Wanna Be Your Man, I would want to give it away too! Leave it to Brian Jones to make something of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 16:56 by neptune.

Date: July 21, 2011 17:04

neptune
Doxa

Brian's slide solo burst the doors open in 1963, charting new paths for how rock guitar could be used. I'm sure guys like Ronnie Wood, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Syd Barrett, Lou Reed, etc. took notice. A very underrated and underappreciated contribution from Brian, as you say, Doxa, most music critics mention the same old lame stories about John and Paul giving away this crappy-ass tune to ALO. If I had written something as crappy as I Wanna Be Your Man, I would want to give it away too! Leave it to Brian Jones to make something of it.

smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2011 18:17

Sleepy City
treaclefingers
Sleepy City
treaclefingers

I'd argue Twist and Shout is even 'more' classic, and certainly a better performance. They should never have recorded those 2 songs.

Date: July 21, 2011 18:48

treaclefingers
I'd argue Twist and Shout is even 'more' classic, and certainly a better performance. They should never have recorded those 2 songs.

It's still about a novelty dance called "the twist", very big in 1960-1962, but definitely old hat by 1963-1964.

Maybe The Stones should've closed their first album with 'Let's Twist Again'.

Date: July 21, 2011 22:15

Ha Ha, NOW I see what you mean....nearly 50 ýears later I can enjoy it in another way, like some Presley soundtrack-song or something...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: July 21, 2011 22:43

Come On
Ha Ha, NOW I see what you mean....nearly 50 ýears later I can enjoy it in another way, like some Presley soundtrack-song or something...smiling smiley

Glad someone gets it at last! winking smiley

If The Beatles hadn't recorded 'Twist & Shout' for their first album then it's very doubtful that they'd have recorded it for 'With The Beatles' or the 'Long Tall Sally' EP, as the twist was well & truly dead by then.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 21, 2011 23:43

His Majesty
Come On

It's top boost and no.

[www.voxshowroom.com]

Of course, treble boost is what applies most to external 'top' boost gizmo's. Vox nomenclature...

And indeed, no.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 22, 2011 00:03

Mathijs

Of course, treble boost is what applies most to external 'top' boost gizmo's. Vox nomenclature...

Mathijs

The Vox top boost additional unit is quiet different to, say, a Rangemaster though

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 1, 2013 19:10

It was released 50 years ago today. smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:32

Probably the only Rolling Stones single with an extended solo by Brian.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: November 4, 2013 23:31

The Stones made a raw rocker with Brian on top slide form out of a rather dull Beatles original. Love this one!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2179
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home