Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: I Wanna Be Your Man
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2011 21:58

Happy24
I just saw Ringo yesterday doing this Rolling Stones cover :-) Anyway, I love both versions of this song, just as I love both bands. I hope it is allowed now, almost 50 years later :-)

+ 1

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:04

Sleepy City
Blue
Well, for starters, great electric slide work!

Great bass playing too! smoking smiley

Certainly wipes the floor with The Beat-less' version.

Oh yes, outstanding bass!!! Am I bad...always forgetting to acknowledge Bill's incredible work and taking him for granted! His bass really does make this song GROOVE!!

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 19, 2011 00:18

One of the most revolutionary rock songs ever. Slide guitar had never been used like that before.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 19, 2011 00:22

neptune
One of the most revolutionary rock songs ever. Slide guitar had never been used like that before.

As an actual song it isn't particularly good, but the brilliance is what they did with it of course.

Date: July 19, 2011 00:35

Sleepy City
neptune

As an actual song it isn't particularly good, but the brilliance is what they did with it of course.

I agree with you. It's the IDEA of using slide guitar like that coupled with a really fast-paced rhythm section that makes the song novel for its time. Otherwise, the song itself is kind of bland.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: July 19, 2011 02:24

Love this - this totally captures what separates the Stones from the Beatles - they fully deconstruct the rhythm and the guitar tones could only be achieved in those days by pushing the amps to the edge of instability - this shows they knew exactly who they were and who they were going to be right off the bat. They just made a holy mess out of this L&M tune

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2011 02:32

The lyrics are amazing....they really speak to me.

Date: July 19, 2011 03:17

treaclefingers
The lyrics are amazing....they really speak to me.

Funny.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 19, 2011 03:30

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 19, 2011 05:31

One thing about the live recordings of The Beatles-when Ringo took his turn (usually "Wanna Be Your Man" or "Boys") the drums really kicked ass!! I guess because with Ringo's vocal mike being turned on it caught the drums so much better. If you've never noticed it listen to some of the old cds and you'll see what I mean...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 06:55

According to the book A Hard Day's Write Paul had started (but not finished) the song for Ringo, and then Paul and John saw Oldham on a London street, from where the three ended up meeting with Mick and Keith, in whose company John and Paul then finished writing the song, after which they gave it to Mick and Keith to record. But then the very next day the Beatles recorded it with Ringo.

I've wondered: Did Mick and Keith know when they "bought it" that it was also intended for Ringo? If not, how did they react when they learned of the Ringo version?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 19, 2011 08:50

.. And even more important: How would the song had sounded with Lennon at the microphone? smiling bouncing smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 19, 2011 08:50

Silver Dagger

It features amazing bass but sonically speaking the record has no real bottom - just all treble. And incredibly it's a sound the Stones were to return to on a couple of tracks on Dirty Work - in the middle of the over-layered and over-produced sounds of the 80s.

Spot on. The slide and the bass are amazing but they bass should sound like a bass. I smell a future remix here. Anybody done a remix with more bass?

Date: July 19, 2011 11:27

Come On
.. And even more important: How would the song had sounded with Lennon at the microphone? smiling bouncing smiley

Still not as good as The Stones (George & Paul were no substitutes for Brian & Bill).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:43

His Majesty
scottkeef
Bill has said in numerous places that the "home-made" bass of sorts that he assembled early on(theres lots of pics ) was his favorite and that he used it nearly exclusively for recording through the late 70s long after he had stopped using it for performing. I dont know if this is the one used for recording this song but it does make ya wonder...

He used it in the studio a lot, but not as often as he implies. There's loads of photos of him recording using the Framus and Vox basses during 60's.

Judging on pics he hardly used his home made bass in the studio during the '60's, but he started using it more in the '70. There's pics of SF, Exile, GHS sessions where he plays this bass, and then again in '77 for Some Girls. But on Some Girls what ended up on the album is the Ampeg London bass en the Travis Bean.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:45

Sleepy City
71Tele
Mathijs
Sleepy City

I played this to a bass-playing friend a few years back & he swore that Bill was using an acoustic bass! He's wrong of course, but I can't recall hearing quite the same bass sound on any other RS record.

You're friend was right, Bill used various short scale hollow body basses until early 1970. He started with a big body Framus Star Bass in early '64, and switcehd to the smaller Star Bass somwhere in '65. Stripped of its paint he last used this bass on the Hyde Park gig. He endorsed the Vox Bill Wyman bass, and used a Vox Astro IV V273 violin Bass for some of the BB and LIB sessions. These where all hollow bodied.

On I Wanna Be Your Man Wyman uses the large bodied Framus Star Bass.

Mathijs

I think maybe SleepyCity's friend meant "acoustic" as in upright bass?

Yes, or an unplugged acoustic bass (like a 4-string acoustic guitar, not sure if they even existed then though). Something without an electric pick-up in other words.

Both Framus Star basses are just that -an acoustic bass with a mike stuck on it.

Mathijs

Date: July 19, 2011 11:48

Sleepy City
Come On

Still not as good as The Stones (George & Paul were no substitutes for Brian & Bill).

I wonder what Mick, Brian and Bill could have done with Twist and Shout ?

Date: July 19, 2011 11:58

Come On

They had too much taste to cut novelty dance records, but (just like The Beatles) I doubt if they'd have done as good a job as The Isley Brothers did with their cover version.

Date: July 19, 2011 14:21

Ok let's compare...

Not bad but their drummer has nothing to show Ringo..

Nah, Sorry but I'll still vote for Lennon here....

2 1 2 0

Date: July 19, 2011 14:26

Ronald Isley sounds like he could sing like that all night (& probably good), yet John Lennon sounds like he can sing that only once, despite taking it down from 'F' to 'D'...

Whatever, both versions are better than the original:

Date: July 19, 2011 14:32

...Agreed...they're saxophone-player must have been hired by Little Richard later....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2011 23:03

Sleepy City
Come On

They had too much taste to cut novelty dance records, but (just like The Beatles) I doubt if they'd have done as good a job as The Isley Brothers did with their cover version.

But not too much taste to cut novelty records....ie, My Girl, Under The Boardwalk

Date: July 19, 2011 23:07

treaclefingers
But not too much taste to cut novelty records....ie, My Girl, Under The Boardwalk

I said novelty dance records...

Anyway, "The Twist" was soooo 1961.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2011 23:22

aaaaahhhhhhh good ta see the Top Notes version getting a mention sleepy ....
The young Phil and Mr Wexler kinda rushed things thru on that one....and apparently while Bert Berns was there

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 19, 2011 23:50

saw ringo on sunday and he was great, BUT I always liked the soundcheck version from Paul in 1993, it was different but great

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:19

Blue

Anyone who says Brian Jones was overrated needs to listen to that solo. Still awesome nearly 50 years later. Incredible to think no one had played slide guitar like that in the UK before this.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:28

Swedgen72
Blue

Anyone who says Brian Jones was overrated needs to listen to that solo. Still awesome nearly 50 years later. Incredible to think no one had played slide guitar like that in the UK before this.

I concur!

Date: July 20, 2011 08:38

Blue
Swedgen72
Blue

I concur!

I have to confess I never thought the guitarsound on 'I wanna be your man' with Stones is from slide-guitar, sounds more like Brian had plugged in a small transistor-radio...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 20, 2011 09:07

Jagger/Richards wrote some true novelty dance songs theirselves..listen to Congratulation...(not to be mistaken for Dylans own Congratulation from The Wilbury III)..

2 1 2 0

Date: July 20, 2011 11:12

Come On

Jagger/Richards wrote some true novelty dance songs theirselves..listen to Congratulation...(not to be mistaken for Dylans own Congratulation from The Wilbury III)..

I've never heard of a dance called the "congratulation", perhaps you can demonstrate how it goes?

(not to be mistaken for the Cliff Richard classic either...).

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home