Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie @ Polo Rocks next Saturday
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 15, 2011 15:44

Anyone from here going ?

Here's the link

www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/350046A5D505424E?artistid=1111387&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Re: Ronnie @ Polo Rocks next Saturday
Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 15, 2011 15:48

I want to go, its not that far from were i live. The thing is i don't drive and would have to cycle and i don't want to cycle back. The evening standard are offering 20% off tickets.

www.ticketmaster.co.uk/polorocks

Date: July 15, 2011 16:02

Mr Cox - Have just emailed two friends in Horsham who might drive, any good to you?

Posted by: turd ()
Date: July 15, 2011 16:48

This is Kenney Jones's polo club.
Should be good if the weather's nice, but expect the audience will mainly be toffy nosed polo plonkers.

Date: July 15, 2011 17:05

I just fancy seeing the Faces (well Mac, Ronnie and Kenny) in a small venue for a good cause. TNPP's an occupational hazard.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 15, 2011 17:11

It'll be worth going to. Trust me.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 15, 2011 18:52

Mr Cox - Have just emailed two friends in Horsham who might drive, any good to you?

thanks for the offer but its the wrong way for me, i'll probably just cycle back if I go!

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 15, 2011 19:26

simplyred.com have tickets for £43 instead of £60

John Nicholls

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 15, 2011 21:40

I'm in with Straycatuk! Cheers for the tip on the discounted tickets!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 15, 2011 22:44

johnnythunders
Anyone from here going ?

Here's the link

www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/350046A5D505424E?artistid=1111387&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

That's not a link, so here yo go: link thumbs up

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 16, 2011 00:36

The footage on youtube swung it - Ronnie is at top of his game and (imho) Mick Hucknell out Rods Rod nowadays.

Can't wait !

sc uk

Date: July 18, 2011 10:47

SimplyRed.com still haver reduced tickets as of this morning. Thanks for the tip John! Weather permitting this should be great...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 18, 2011 12:31

johnnythunders
SimplyRed.com still haver reduced tickets as of this morning. Thanks for the tip John! Weather permitting this should be great...

Yeah .... as per usual ya gotta take the great British weather into consideration. WHAT a pain in the proverbial !! Fingers crossed !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 21, 2011 12:29

Weather forecast for Saturday is for showers in the morning only so we could be OK...

Date: July 22, 2011 20:43

looks like we might miss the rain .

sc uk

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 22, 2011 22:15

ooo I want to go...... hope its a blast.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 22, 2011 22:24

hope you all have a goodtime,
enjoy!!!
byeeee
jeroen

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 23, 2011 01:10

... and if you survive it, you can see Bill Wyman in Bury St Edmunds on Sunday.

Date: July 24, 2011 17:02

Great show - very small crowd. Dedicated I would Rather go Blind to Amy .Will try to post something later - Ronnie is on blistering form !

sc uk

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: July 24, 2011 17:39

I second that, it was a brilliant night and I have never heard Ronnie sounding as good as this for a long long time.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 24, 2011 18:10

I wasn't there (something urgent came up), so s**t S**t s**t and yet more s**t plus a thousand curses, cos I'm sure it was a great gig. O well, next time. Hope all that went had a great time though. Any pics and "reviews" for want of a better expression ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 24, 2011 23:20

Date: July 25, 2011 11:19

Ooh La La

Some shakey camera work,bad singing and poor sound free of charge !

sc uk

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 25, 2011 15:42

Mona! Fantastic!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 25, 2011 15:44

The bit included Down Payment Blues by AC/DC and The Jack!

Date: July 26, 2011 17:37

Gig Review: The Faces, Polo Rocks! Hurtwood Park Polo Club, July 23rd 2012

Simon Wright

Vantage Point: Stage centre, a few rows from the front

Mick Hucknall? Mick Hucknall?? How can it be that the two best gigs of 2012 thus far have featured the spiral-haired Simply Red serial shagger? Yet at both the Ian Stewart tribute at the Ambassadors and now fronting a rejuvenated Faces, Mick Hucknall has proved himself a soulful and understated vocalist and an effective frontman.

The audience at this outdoor gig was clearly divided between polo fans and Faces fans, each with their own strict dress code. Relations between the two tribes were generally good, although the presence of picnic chairs and wicker hampers directly in front of the stage caused some consternation as the band bounded on stage just after 9 o'clock on a fine summer evening somewhere on the Surrey/Sussex border. This version of the Faces comprised Ronnie Wood on lead guitar, his son Jessie on unobtrusive rhythm guitar, Ian ‘Mac’ Maclagan on piano and organ, Glen Matlock on bass, Kenny Jones on drums (it's his polo club) and the aforementioned Mick Hucknall on lead vocals. Traditional opener Miss Judy's Farm was followed by the band's mission statement Had Me A Real Good Time. At this point the sound man responded to the many shouts of "we can't hear the vocals" and from this point on the gig developed its own momentum.

Ronnie Wood dedicated songs to the memory of Amy Winehouse and to Ronnie Lane. The latter was ably represented by long-term Faces fan Glen Matlock who not only plays like Lane but even stands like him, sideways-on and leaning back into the microphone. Ooh La La and (especially) Debris honoured Lane's contributions. Mick Hucknall handled covers of I'd Rather Go Blind, I Wish It Would Rain, Maybe I'm Amazed and (I Know I'm) Losing You beautifully. As usual the latter contained Kenny Jones’ drum solo, which was mercifully brief. Mac shone on his co-written Cindy Incidentally, a prescient Silicone Grown and a driving Too Bad. Ronnie showcased his veteran black-and-silver Tony Zemaitis during a slide solo framed by the ancient Plynth and incorporating snatches of That's All You Need and Mona. Sobriety has sharpened his playing considerably and this was the best performance I've seen from Ronnie since the Stones at Wembley Arena in 2002.

The encores were special. Two blasts of vintage Small Faces (a mighty Tin Soldier and an All Or Nothing that was 95% audience participation) were capped by a fine Stay With Me which was as compulsively un-danceable as ever and sent everyone home with a grin. These Faces will make you dance, sing and do any old thing.

Thanks to Cliff and Paul for the company!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-26 17:41 by johnnythunders.

Date: July 28, 2011 11:07

Thanks for the review johnny . I have been too lazy to do one . I agree 100% with your words. What a fantastic band. I hope they do some small London shows soon !

sc uk

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2011 11:42

johnnythunders
Gig Review: The Faces, Polo Rocks! Hurtwood Park Polo Club, July 23rd 2012

Simon Wright

Vantage Point: Stage centre, a few rows from the front

Mick Hucknall? Mick Hucknall?? How can it be that the two best gigs of 2012 thus far have featured the spiral-haired Simply Red serial shagger? Yet at both the Ian Stewart tribute at the Ambassadors and now fronting a rejuvenated Faces, Mick Hucknall has proved himself a soulful and understated vocalist and an effective frontman.

The audience at this outdoor gig was clearly divided between polo fans and Faces fans, each with their own strict dress code. Relations between the two tribes were generally good, although the presence of picnic chairs and wicker hampers directly in front of the stage caused some consternation as the band bounded on stage just after 9 o'clock on a fine summer evening somewhere on the Surrey/Sussex border. This version of the Faces comprised Ronnie Wood on lead guitar, his son Jessie on unobtrusive rhythm guitar, Ian ‘Mac’ Maclagan on piano and organ, Glen Matlock on bass, Kenny Jones on drums (it's his polo club) and the aforementioned Mick Hucknall on lead vocals. Traditional opener Miss Judy's Farm was followed by the band's mission statement Had Me A Real Good Time. At this point the sound man responded to the many shouts of "we can't hear the vocals" and from this point on the gig developed its own momentum.

Ronnie Wood dedicated songs to the memory of Amy Winehouse and to Ronnie Lane. The latter was ably represented by long-term Faces fan Glen Matlock who not only plays like Lane but even stands like him, sideways-on and leaning back into the microphone. Ooh La La and (especially) Debris honoured Lane's contributions. Mick Hucknall handled covers of I'd Rather Go Blind, I Wish It Would Rain, Maybe I'm Amazed and (I Know I'm) Losing You beautifully. As usual the latter contained Kenny Jones’ drum solo, which was mercifully brief. Mac shone on his co-written Cindy Incidentally, a prescient Silicone Grown and a driving Too Bad. Ronnie showcased his veteran black-and-silver Tony Zemaitis during a slide solo framed by the ancient Plynth and incorporating snatches of That's All You Need and Mona. Sobriety has sharpened his playing considerably and this was the best performance I've seen from Ronnie since the Stones at Wembley Arena in 2002.

The encores were special. Two blasts of vintage Small Faces (a mighty Tin Soldier and an All Or Nothing that was 95% audience participation) were capped by a fine Stay With Me which was as compulsively un-danceable as ever and sent everyone home with a grin. These Faces will make you dance, sing and do any old thing.

Thanks to Cliff and Paul for the company!

Sounds fantastic. Too Bad and That's All You Need. Wow - that's all that I would have needed that night. And Mick's really proving himself as a great stand in for Rod. Anyone know when the next show is?

Posted by: DannyJoe ()
Date: July 28, 2011 14:44

Wish I was there.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 15:14

DannyJoe

Wish I was there.

I love this man, thanks for share thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home