Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Joni Mitchell
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: July 30, 2011 07:41

How many Joni fans do we have on this board?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 07:41 by tipps.

Re: OT: Joni Mitchell
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2011 12:52

I love her music.

IMO she's one of the best and versatile female singer-songwriters ever, played with the best musicians around, like Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin etc.
And she can play the guitar!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-30 13:05 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 30, 2011 13:14

I'm a fan - especially of her albums between 1971 and 1976

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 30, 2011 14:34

I'm Mr Obvious when it comes to Joni.

Love Court and Spark, Hissing... and of course Blue, one of my top 10 albums, maybe only second to Exile

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 30, 2011 20:55

I worry about her. She's become reclusive and her physical condition from supposed MS is not public knowledge. I know she lashed out at Bob Dylan a couple years back, which seemed fruitless. I was lucky to see her the last time she toured, on a triple bill with Dylan and Van Morrison in 1998. I did run into Tom Scott and told him I loved his work on 'Court and Spark'. That album might be the best pop album of the 70s. I do know that her lyrics stick with me. If I remember correctly, Hendrix was a big fan.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:04

She has a beautiful voice but I don;t care for most of he music. She does have some gems though - I love They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:13

Love the woman dearly. Bought Big Yellow Taxi when it came out, saw her with The Band, Jesse Colin Young, and CSNY at Wembley in 74; again at Wembley Arena in 83 and at Roger Waters' The Wall show in Berlin in 1990. But Shadows And Light was the last album I really enjoyed. Her music from then on lacked the songwriting touch of old.
Blue and Hissing Of Summer Lawns are my fave albums by her.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 30, 2011 23:19

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: July 31, 2011 01:18

Love her to death.
The stretch from "Ladies of the Canyon" through "Blue," "For the Roses" and "Court and Spark" is flawlessly great, but may not even represent her best.
Love that she left the business on her own terms and won't come back just for a wad of cash.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 31, 2011 01:44

A unique talent. Count me in. "Coyote" and "Help Me" are my favorites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 01:45 by 71Tele.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 31, 2011 02:09

slew
She has a beautiful voice but I don;t care for most of he music. She does have some gems though - I love They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Her forced little "HaHaHa HaHaHa!" at the end of that record is one of the creepiest sounds ever captured on tape...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 31, 2011 02:44

I lived with BLUE for years! Played it constantly. I have most of her cds, and think she's a genius....no, I KNOW she's a genius! There's really no one like her, a poet,& a musician with incredible insight. I'm glad she received the Kennedy Award a few years ago. I regret that I never saw her live, but then again she seldom tours. I guess that's one thing on my BUCKET LIST that will never be.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 31, 2011 02:59

MrHappy
... Love that she left the business on her own terms and won't come back just for a wad of cash.
Yeah that is admirable, but on the hand... a wad of cash can come in mighty handy, especially now that times have changed and artist today make more playing concerts than selling LPs. Seems like Joni dropped out of sight while $20-45.00 ticket was the norm... now it is 100-300.

I dont know her circumstance.... someone above said she has MS, so maybe she cant play... but maybe she can... heck I dont know... but I give people credit for what they have done and Joni has done a lot.

If she can play, she should do some shows, even selling 3000 seats halls at 100-300 per ticket, on a 20-30 city run, would earn her a lot of dough... I dont know if she needs it or not.. I only wish her the best.

PS
Along this line of thinking.... wishing/hoping past GREATS could come back today and get the money inferior talents are making these days.... wouldnt it be cool if sports greats could come back and make 20 million in one year?... when "back in the day" breaking the 1 million per year barrier was unheard of.

Today, some losers come out of college, sign a big contract, never do much of anything, still make 50 million in 3-4 years and then they retire and are gone.

Wouldnt it be cool if old "Hall of fame players", who were fanatastic for years and years could come back and make the money today average players make today. Sports players cant come back, but music artist can... and should.

Come back Joni, we miss you smiling smiley... I been walking central park...

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: July 31, 2011 05:38

I have met Joni on various occasions, in fact I hope to see her in the next few weeks. Maybe invite her over for dinner. No, I dont think she needs the money, she is very well off now. It would be nice to her in concert though, maybe do a few shows here and there like what Elton was doing for awhile last year. I like most of her music. Night Ride Home is nice. She is a real down to earth person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 05:39 by tipps.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 31, 2011 06:03

Love her. Still have a huge crush on her. I would love to have her sing me to sleep. She could sing a Chinese menu and I would get goose bumps

Date: July 31, 2011 06:09

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 07:08 by tatters.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 31, 2011 06:10

She plays a lot in all kind of exotic open tunings creating some very interesting voicings. [jonimitchell.com]

Date: July 31, 2011 06:26

Koen
She plays a lot in all kind of exotic open tunings creating some very interesting voicings. [jonimitchell.com]

Wow!! Joni has one of the best websites I have ever seen for a person like her. I dont know why I did not look before.... after perusing her site just a bit... Now I am kind of flabbergasted... speechless... she is so cool.

She does not need any advice...
Keep on keeping on Joni...... wow smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 06:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 31, 2011 06:50

I really loved her earlier music, and was in awe of her talent as a singer, musician, lyricist and composer. I rather lost interest in the 80s when she basically became a jazz musician. I also think she should protected the quality of her voice by not smoking, apparently she's been a diehard smoker since the age of NINE.

Date: July 31, 2011 06:55

Fab tour history pages [jonimitchell.com]

1975 Rolling Thunder Revue [jonimitchell.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 06:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 31, 2011 11:03

we on the farm are huge fans

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 31, 2011 12:26

"Mingus" is a timeless album to me.
And as a Stones fan the studioversion of the song "In France they kiss on Mainstreet" to me
is a must smiling smiley Great bluesy guitar-fills. Reminds me of Taylor.

Date: July 31, 2011 18:58

Joni has a great website where one can listen to (parts) of most of her music. It is well organised, free for (amazon type) snippets and fun. I did not even realize that she has never even paused releasing music, her most recent release was Sept 25 2007. Joni is pretty awesome. [jonimitchell.com]

From Saskatoon?

From Saskatoon?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 19:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 31, 2011 19:33

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 31, 2011 23:28

Man, she sure had a lot f guys shagging after her! Lucky lady!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 31, 2011 23:50

mickschix
Man, she sure had a lot f guys shagging after her! Lucky lady!
if you ever come to holland..... i give you a t sunrise...so cheers...but let me play some gram p (hearts on fire) than all right?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:38

BLUE and COURT & SPARK always get the kudos (understandably as they're outstanding achievements), but my personal favorites are FOR THE ROSES and HEJIRA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 03:51 by Glam Descendant.

Date: August 1, 2011 00:57

Glam Descendant
BLUE and COURT & SPARK always get the kudos (understandably as their outstanding achievements), but my personal favorites are FOR THE ROSES and HEJIRA.

Same here. I never really got what was so great about Blue. I much prefer For The Roses. She had moved beyond pure folk at that point, but hadn't yet gotten into full-blown jazz. Caught between those two musical styles, but making use of elements of both, it's the album that allows her genius to shine through at its brightest.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 04:46 by tatters.

Date: August 1, 2011 01:18

Joni was frequently the target of (mostly) female hecklers. Poor sound quality, but this is an amazing example of grace under fire. Things get crazy at about 1:50. "I even play for people who are flipping out"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 01:23 by tatters.

Date: August 1, 2011 04:31

tatters
Joni was frequently the target of (mostly) female hecklers. Poor sound quality, but this is an amazing example of grace under fire. Things get crazy at about 1:50. "I even play for people who are flipping out"

Somebody forgot to put the cat before the concert... MEEEEEOOOWWWW!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home