Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When things go wrong...
Posted by: gagi ()
Date: July 31, 2011 18:54

Re: When things go wrong...
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 31, 2011 18:59

That She's So Cold has always been pretty painful. It takes Mick to finally step in and get Charlie and Keith on the same page.

Anybody know where that Brown Sugar is from? My guess is the Bridges tour.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:05

This never happens to "today's" live artists....
....... ......but then again, I heard someone claim that 90% of Britney Spears' last "LIVE" tour was lip synced.

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:18

theimposter

Looks like Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour to me...

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:28

Based on the sound of that Brown Sugar, which is very thin, it has to be Steel Wheels or Urban Jungle.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:42

Max'sKansasCity
....... ......but then again, I heard someone claim that 90% of Britney Spears' last "LIVE" tour was lip synced.

All but the final song of the show, apparently.

Aside from the issue of the quality of her music (and I'm sure most/all of us can agree it's bloody awful), it not only baffles me as to why anyone has the nerve to put on a concert which is pretty much all lip-synched, but why people will actually spend money to watch it.

Shows how low the bar is now for entertainment and how f***ing stupid so many people are.

Saying that, I do think there's a sizeable group of people whose main motivation for attending a Stones concert would be 'seeing' them as opposed to 'hearing' them. Makes you wonder - in the (unlikely) event of the Stones doing a show that was largely lip-synched, would there actually be a demand for it? There probably would, although not to the same degree as a gig by Britney and the like, as we're comparing it to acts that dont have a 'pedigree' as a live performer and an audience thats unlikely to be too discerning.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:44

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Aside from the issue of the quality of her music (and I'm sure most/all of us can agree it's bloody awful), it not only baffles me as to why anyone has the nerve to put on a concert which is pretty much all lip-synched, but why people will actually spend money to watch it.

Shows how low the bar is now for entertainment and how f***ing stupid so many people are.

Saying that, I do think there's a sizeable group of people whose main motivation for attending a Stones concert would be 'seeing' them as opposed to 'hearing' them. Makes you wonder - in the (unlikely) event of the Stones doing a show that was largely lip-synched, would there actually be a demand for it? There probably would, although not to the same degree as a gig by Britney and the like, as we're comparing it to acts that dont have a 'pedigree' as a live performer and an audience thats unlikely to be too discerning.

I saw two shows by JLS a couple of years ago (no I'm not a fan, they played at the theatre where I work), & although all the vocals were live, there were NO live instruments - just backing tracks! Glorified karaoke in other words.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:55

My all time favorite..Street Fighting Man, New Jersey 1994.

The transition from the bridge to the verse is a train wreck. Keith is absolutely lost. Mick again takes the ball and puts the band on track. funny to see the band's reaction at the end...Mick's face says it all: "How'd we get out of that one?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 22:56 by Justin.

Date: July 31, 2011 23:00

I still think the worst is the one where Keith plays IORR while the rest of the band play Satisfaction...

Date: July 31, 2011 23:04

Sleepy City
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

I saw two shows by JLS a couple of years ago (no I'm not a fan, they played at the theatre where I work), & although all the vocals were live, there were NO live instruments - just backing tracks! Glorified karaoke in other words.

Does it indicate the sad state of affairs in the world?
sizzle over the taste of the steaks?... all show, no go?... fake is OK?

The worst part is when Disney, and the other moneymofos, catch wind that idiots will actually buy enough tickets to SELL OUT arenas for this type of nonsense... then they pump and dump even more acts just like this..... sad sad sad

I try to read/post to a lot of different boards world wide, just to keep track of what is up... and this sometimes leads me into strange places, reading strange things... for instance at the height of that Britney tour, as word was spreading that she was mostly fake(lip syncing)... on one board I saw a Britney "excusist" saying something like "Well, if you want her to dance so well, you cant expect her to sing too".... and other posters started flowing in to agree with that whole heartedly... I just sighed... and closed the window. sad sad sad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 23:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 31, 2011 23:11

Sleepy City
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Its not actually a new phenomenon. Quite a few 80's bands that relied predominantly on synthesizers played to music that was pre-programmed.

I remember a friend of mine going to a Cocteau Twins gig around that time and telling me afterwards that on seeing how little tape was left on the reel to reel machine at the side of the stage, he was able to beat the rush by leaving early as 'I figured out we weren't getting an encore' !

Date: July 31, 2011 23:32

There may be a lot more prerecorded "live playing" going on than we realize (or that artist will admit) (I shudder to think of the coming books which will reveal the truth)(is ignorance bliss?)..... anyway...

Whne I saw Boston a few years back, Tom Shultz came out at the end and said something like "Every sound you heard tonight was played live by someone on this stage."

I wondered if maybe it would be the start of shaming other artists into saying the same thing.... but I have never heard anything said like that since... so maybe there are more and more sounds being prerecorded than we might believe... I think some bands, like RUSH, who have rabid crazy fans, could NOT play most of their songs without using prerecorded parts, due to the layering the group does ion the studio.

What is acceptable, where does it cross the line of being more recorded than live?

My biggest issue with too much prerecorded is it limits what can spontaneously occur from show to show.... not that many things do anyway... but if/when it is ONLY humans playing the sounds there will be bloopers... which are funny, someone could make a TV show based on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 23:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 31, 2011 23:42

I heard Elton John had something to say about the idea that Madonna played live it was.........."Madonna play live...........oh @#$%& off"

Date: July 31, 2011 23:47

EddieByword
I heard Elton John had something to say about the idea that Madonna played live it was.........."Madonna play live...........oh fck off"

It would be funny to see more artist going after each other like this (maybe it would be)... at least then we would know who is live and who is faking. Maybe "live" artist could start a "certification" process... where it is certified that everything that is heard is live... I dont know where it would lead...but it would be fun to watch.

Date: August 1, 2011 00:01

EddieByword
I heard Elton John had something to say about the idea that Madonna played live it was.........."Madonna play live...........oh @#$%& off"

I think that was a reaction to her being honoured with an award (I think it was by Q magazine) for 'Best Live Act'.....

Date: August 1, 2011 00:04

If they want to announce in advance that a show will be lip-synched or use pre-recorded music, then fine.

As long as its ok for me to use a fake credit card to pay for the tickets.

Fair's fair...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:07

Gazza
EddieByword

I think that was a reaction to her being honoured with an award (I think it was by Q magazine) for 'Best Live Act'.....

Oh yeah...I couldn't remember when myself but now you mention it that does sound about right...........

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:26

A classmate in high school told me of hearing a "late 60's or early 70's" era bootleg at his friend's house that was "hilarious, because the Stones keep trying to start SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL but keeping stopping and starting over because they keep messing up. And finally Mick screams at the band to stop messing up."

I'd love to hear this, but never have.

Date: August 1, 2011 00:28

Max'sKansasCity
There may be a lot more prerecorded "live playing" going on than we realize (or that artist will admit) (I shudder to think of the coming books which will reveal the truth)(is ignorance bliss?)..... anyway...

Whne I saw Boston a few years back, Tom Shultz came out at the end and said something like "Every sound you heard tonight was played live by someone on this stage."

I wondered if maybe it would be the start of shaming other artists into saying the same thing.... but I have never heard anything said like that since... so maybe there are more and more sounds being prerecorded than we might believe... I think some bands, like RUSH, who have rabid crazy fans, could NOT play most of their songs without using prerecorded parts, due to the layering the group does ion the studio.

What is acceptable, where does it cross the line of being more recorded than live?

My biggest issue with too much prerecorded is it limits what can spontaneously occur from show to show.... not that many things do anyway... but if/when it is ONLY humans playing the sounds there will be bloopers... which are funny, someone could make a TV show based on them.

Betcha this guy doesn't use backing tracks...

Date: August 1, 2011 00:46

Title5Take1
A classmate in high school told me of hearing a "late 60's or early 70's" era bootleg at his friend's house that was "hilarious, because the Stones keep trying to start SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL but keeping stopping and starting over because they keep messing up. And finally Mick screams at the band to stop messing up."

I'd love to hear this, but never have.

Unless he was listening to the bootleg 'The Devil is My Name' which features numerous outtakes of the song taken from the 'One Plus One' movie (and the 'Mick screaming at the band' thing is a bit of an exaggeration), he's talking bollocks.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:48

[/quote]

Some nice jumping on 3:52 min...must be the backing track that stopped too late!!

Date: August 1, 2011 00:51

CERTIFIED 100% LIVE
NO BACKING TRACK/NO LIP SYNC

plus the sound guy wouldnt know which tracks to load, heck sometimes the musicians dont know which songs.... Remember that part of the movie where a young Bruce Springsteen was hired to be Chuck's backing band for the night... and Chuck was late, so Bruce was worried about no rehersals.... and when Chuck gets there Bruce worriedly asks him.. ""but... but... but.. what songs are we going to play??""... and Chuck says......

Chucks says "We are going to play Chuck Berry songs... 1 2 3 GO!!!!"

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:51

theimposter
That She's So Cold has always been pretty painful. It takes Mick to finally step in and get Charlie and Keith on the same page.

Even the best of the best can goof up now and then. At least we know it's them an not some pre-recorded BS.

CBII

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:53

Sleepy City
Max'sKansasCity

You got that one right Sleepy. It's always exactly what's coming out of the amplifiers at a Chuck Berry show.

CBII

Date: August 1, 2011 00:54

Even the best of the best can goof up now and then.
At least we know it's them an not some pre-recorded BS.

truer words have never been spoken....
We should set those words in bronze, for all etertnity.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2011 00:58

When things go wrong.............it hurts me to ...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 01:01

Even Roger Waters is guilty of it now. On his recent Wall tour he used vocal backing tracks for the high parts. LAME!

Posted by: rangerdave ()
Date: August 1, 2011 02:07

Let's not forget this one.. Charlie can't find the downbeat until after the first chorus!

:-D

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 09:12

theimposter

I know it happened the same once in Dallas in 1989, 11th of November but this one seems to be different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 09:22 by jpasc95.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 1, 2011 11:29

Gazza
Sleepy City
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity

Its not actually a new phenomenon. Quite a few 80's bands that relied predominantly on synthesizers played to music that was pre-programmed.

I remember a friend of mine going to a Cocteau Twins gig around that time and telling me afterwards that on seeing how little tape was left on the reel to reel machine at the side of the stage, he was able to beat the rush by leaving early as 'I figured out we weren't getting an encore' !

It's actually quite the norm for many bands to either completely lip-sinc, or play along with a pre-recorded tape. Michael Jackson's shows in the 90's where for 90% lip-sinced. Aerosmith play's over pre-recorded backing tracks since the 90's, Bon Jovi uses pre-recorded lead guitar parts when Sambora doesn't feel 100% well. Coldplay use 96 tracks on the mixing board for four musicians on stage -they have pre-recorded everything, and added a load of strings and synths. U2 plays over sequencers since the 90's.

And even the Stones have used pre-recorded parts, especially during the Steel Wheels tour. The basslines to Undercover where pre-recorded for example.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home