Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: I Just Want To See His Face
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 17, 2015 04:43

I play this one frequently. If you don't nod your head or at least find your shoulders moving listening to this, check your pulse.

I don't know how to write about Exile. Can't find the words. But there were some awesome descriptions here peppered in thread.

Yeah, this song does it for me/ another go to off Exile.

Sorry not more descriptive, but wanted to chime in a strong yes for this song.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 17, 2015 06:29

As I have long said the greatest album of all time...sorry Beatles fans.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 17, 2015 06:54

drbryant
Mathijs
It defines Exile in a way -you imagine them sitting there in this swampy basement, jamming on tracks like this. Funny thing though that it was completely recorded in LA.

Mathijs

I thought that the track was one of those recorded in Nellcote. Wikipedia says as much. Was it worked on in Nellcote and then completely redone in LA? For Whitlock's claims to be valid, the song would have had to originate in LA, so maybe that's right.
Mathijs' point is correct. It is not about where it was recorded it is the narrative and mystyque of album that counts. For years I imagined them in that basement making this little jam. In the studio they re-lived the basement and put us there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 06:57 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:03

andrewt
The moment when Ventilator Blues fades into Just Wanna See His Face is like being drawn through a vortex into a strange and mystical world...

It's such a great transformation!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:06

Exile on Main Street is a mosaic. It's a collection of songs, some of which stand-alone wouldn't amount to much, but as part of the whole, they make sense. "I Just Want To See His Face" would stand out weird on Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers, but on Exile on Main Str it really adds to the overall murky swampiness of the album. It's a mood album and this song is an excellent contribution to that mood. (Just as "Turd on the Run" or "Rip This Joint" for instance).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:36

Never liked this strange song. Always skipping it. Btw, Exile is imho a very over-rated Album, very much like Some Girls is.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:40

Exile is another masterpiece as a whole, when you listen Exile you get yourself a drink and enjoy the album: " I Just Want To See His Face", is a soulful song from the swamps, the foundations were done in Nellcote, Mick Taylor on bass.
To skip a song on an vinyl album sounds very strange to me.

Date: July 17, 2015 19:54

- Sorry Sir, Where can I read criticism on EOMS?

- In .... iorr.org of course boy!

Date: July 17, 2015 20:27

Are you referring to my post? I have no problem with criticism on EOMS, me and my friends listened EOMS as an album not singles, and where is your review on this track if I may ask?

Date: July 17, 2015 20:43

Exile would be a masterpiece if they had released it as a single LP with 10 or 12 tracks on it. But as a double LP it contains too many fillers.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:45

HMS
Never liked this strange song. Always skipping it. Btw, Exile is imho a very over-rated Album, very much like Some Girls is.

No worries HMS, sounds like Dirty Work is much more to your liking. Diverse opinions are what make this board interesting.

Never thought this one was much of a song. Incomplete and undeveloped is the best description I can think of. Although I like Bobby Whitlock's electric piano I kind of wish they would have developed it into more than what it is. Given Keith a crack at finding some good guitar parts, really worked out some good lyrics, etc. As it is it's one of my least favorite Exile tracks and I actually wonder what they were thinking by including it. I think Mick was just personally enjoying his gospel, soul, singing with the black girls phase at the time, something he obviously nailed with Let It Loose.

I think Nicky Hopkins would have played a bit more variety if he was playing the keyboard part, it doesn't particularly sound like his style and I wish they had given proper credit to Whitlock here. I mean even Keith is credited with electric piano here but I'm not hearing it. Mr. Whitlock interestingly comments on the YouTube vid for this song, says MT was playing the bass.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:55

Maybe a little OT, but this thread brings to mind the discussion a few years back about gospel music. Worth revisiting for all the good information and great songs posted.

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 20:57 by latebloomer.

Date: July 17, 2015 21:24

latebloomer
Maybe a little OT, but this thread brings to mind the discussion a few years back about gospel music. Worth revisiting for all the good information and great songs posted.

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks latebloomer for posting this great gospel thread and I do hav some gospel vinyl.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2015 02:35

Sleepy City
A big reason why I think Exile is so much weaker overall than the previous 3 albums. Should've remained an outtake.

Get thee to an insane asylum.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 18, 2015 07:29

Tentatively some rather floating associations I for long have had round "Just Want to See His Face":

Far beyond my own knowledge, I wonder, in the first place, if this track, instead of gospel, may be heard as a spiritual, understood as a kind of music form that belongs to the antecedents of gospel music. But here as an instrumental back track to that again. Mick Jagger's singing on top of that mesmerizing musical track.

Secondly, when I read reference to the Deep South, my mind is actually filled with other pictures.The mentionned musical track moved to the Middle East. Despite the lyrics evoking Jesus Christ, I instead figure in my head, making the lyrics somehow an anachronism, the situation when we learn about Moses coming down from the mountain and back to his people, just having received the Ten Commandments. When he finds his people in full worship of "heathen" religions. The song functionning as a possible sound track to a film having reached that situation.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 16, 2016 10:01

Mick Taylor should be listed as electric bass on this track. I ran it through a low pass filter in Pro Tools (while wearing high quality Sennheiser headphones) and it is there. Whoever is on the Wurlitzer is just playing what sounds like block chords, and the electric bass can definitely be heard playing little fills (like at 1:59). It is especially evident around 0:35 and 0:55, on through the one minute mark. Once you find it, it is quite obvious there is an electric bass.

Not sure why this board is so keen to take away a man's credits. It should be the other way around: giving the benefit of the doubt to the original liner notes.

Date: August 16, 2016 10:19

TravelinMan
Mick Taylor should be listed as electric bass on this track. I ran it through a low pass filter in Pro Tools (while wearing high quality Sennheiser headphones) and it is there. Whoever is on the Wurlitzer is just playing what sounds like block chords, and the electric bass can definitely be heard playing little fills (like at 1:59). It is especially evident around 0:35 and 0:55, on through the one minute mark. Once you find it, it is quite obvious there is an electric bass.

Not sure why this board is so keen to take away a man's credits. It should be the other way around: giving the benefit of the doubt to the original liner notes.

He probably played bass on it, but he COULD have played on it, for another musician to overdub it later. It's the same with Bobby Whitlock. We just don't know, and Exile is probably the hardest album to distinguish the different musicians, because of the mix..

For instance, we know that Taylor played drums on a GHS track, only to find out that Charlie had tracked the drums later because Glyn Johns told him to..

Date: August 16, 2016 10:28

Mick Jagger and Bobby Whitlock both said Mick Taylor played bass, he's listed in the original liner notes as playing bass, there is an electric bass on there, and it sounds like his playing style (plus it's a cool part). I feel like there is much more evidence pointing towards him playing bass than not.

There is some percussive upright bass as well.

Date: August 16, 2016 10:36

TravelinMan
Mick Jagger and Bobby Whitlock both said Mick Taylor played bass, he's listed in the original liner notes as playing bass, there is an electric bass on there, and it sounds like his playing style (plus it's a cool part). I feel like there is much more evidence pointing towards him playing bass than not.

If so, what's the problem? I just couldn't remember whether he was credited or not smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2016 10:50

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

If so, what's the problem? I just couldn't remember whether he was credited or not smiling smiley

He's not credited on here or timeisonourside

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 16, 2016 12:49

M. Taylor bass, B. Plummer bass.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 12:49 by Deltics.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:11

Silver Dagger

And it links so well between Keith's Ventilator Blues and the old vinyl side closer Let It Loose. The song shimmers like a hot summer day in New Orleans - and with those gospel background singers it has that great city stamped all over it. It's a really important part of the epic musical jigsaw and homage to Americana that Exile became.

I was 15 in the summer of '72. My girlfriend gave me Exile for my birthday. Even now, so many years later, this song is: lying in my room on a hot August day; the windows are open and it's raining. The damp smell of grass and hay drifts in as the music burbles up out of the murk like a half-remembered dream. One of my favorite moments on EOMS.

Date: August 16, 2016 18:56

...just another filler on EOMS.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 16, 2016 19:18

HMS

You are trolling. Just like on on threads on this board. Get a life. Or listen to Dirty Work. If you are looking attention, then why not write something worthy instead of trolling old thread?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 16, 2016 19:24

HMS

I tell you a secret...
Exile is full of fillers.
There is no need to repeat it at every Exile thread.

Date: August 16, 2016 19:51

The walls will always come down without filler... (ha ha)

Date: August 16, 2016 20:25

A stellar cast of fellow musicians and MOJO writers chose: Exile On Main Street as the Greatest Stones Album in 2002! Anyone talking about fillers, I don't take that seriously

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 16, 2016 20:30

Interesting tune, but definitely a released outtake. Works only on EOMS.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 16, 2016 20:39

EXILE ON MAIN STREET is an album, where there are seeming "fillers", in the sense of indifferent songs. The deep secret is that on this album the seeming "fillers" do not end up as such. There is something mystical about them which transcends that negative status.

"I Just Wanna See His Face" may not be among the five best songs oF EXILE. But, a paradox, maybe that song does even more for the magic of EXILE than the better songs do. Possibly the song is the very key to experience how great the album as a whole is with its mosaic.

[I am not one of those who consider EXILE better than all other Stones albums. But it is fully among the greats. I now don't rank within a group of approxiamately twelve great albums anymore. There was a distant time when BEGGARS BANQUET alone held the rank for me as their best album. Not so any more.]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 16, 2016 21:29

Great filler and important to their legacy. One of their most important tracks along with Mona. A sound from another time and place.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home