Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: I Just Want To See His Face
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 11, 2015 11:31

But we're not apposed to talk about it

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 11:38

the article is hilarious. it says that the deluxe re-issue of sticky fingers is coming out, so the one of exile "can't be far behind".

that tells you all you need to know about the guy who wrote it.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 11, 2015 11:39

71Tele
Sleepy City
A big reason why I think Exile is so much weaker overall than the previous 3 albums. Should've remained an outtake.

No! Fantastic atmosphere. Gritty, soulful, swinging. Sometimes on a work like Exile, the "minor" songs are a key part to why the thing works so well. This is a case in point. As for Exile being weaker, fuggedaboutit.

I agree.

The Rolling Stones at their most uninhibited.

My face upon reading the 'Just a bunch of noise' description: eye popping smiley

Olly.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: July 11, 2015 11:45

Great track from what was the soundtrack to our summers at the lake.

We always left this cassette on our boat, permanently stuck in the player and used to just let it play over and over and over and over. It was a perfect long album for the lake. That is mostly what Exile is to me. Some of the other songs have grown life memories of their own, but this track, actually it is more just a "groove" is firmly stuck at the lake in my mind.

To me this groove feels like hot weather, warm sun, blue skies, summer breeze, cold beer, water skiing until we were worn out and then just hanging out on the speedboat, drifting around doing nothing but smiling ya ya ya... fine,fine,fine seeing the warm sun glisten on my beautiful long term girlfriend(long gone now). Listening to this track brings back vivid memories of her standing on the small front part of the boat slow dancing while this groove played... sipping my cold beer and loving life. I can still see her moving to this groove, like a movie in my head, it is just that kind of groovytrack. ya ya ya.... fine,fine,fine... ya ya ya... fine,fine,fine... ya ya ya... ya ya ya... fine,fine,fine...

Can we get that time machine working already?

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 14:03

i like the song. i was lucky enough to see the black crowes at Amsterdam paradiso playing an Amazing cover of it. unforgettable

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 11, 2015 16:21

Jagger said it was a jam with Watts and Taylor and maybe somebody else. It very well could be Whitlock on electric piano. I definitely don't hear Hopkins. I think the personal list on the first page of this thread is off the mark.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 16, 2015 04:01

This was my favorite track the first time I listened to Exile. I remember going back and listening to it three times in a row, and being annoyed that you can hear just a bit of the end of Ventilator Blues. I don't think it's the best written song on the album (that's Shine A Light, IMHO) but truly, this is the song that jumped out the most, and that's saying quite a bit, because the rest of the album is full of unforgettable tunes.

I love the mesmerizing, soft melody and pulsing rhythm. To me, it really feels like a new gospel/blues hybrid. I think it has a distinct and unique vibe that stands out.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 16, 2015 05:45

Sleepy City
Stoneage
Come on, it's not even a song, it's a sketch to a song never completed. Ask Mick jagger what he thinks about Exile and you will get a more sober answer than what you will get here.

smileys with beer

Some of the comments here remind me of Beatles fans praising The White Album for "songs" such as Wild Honey Pie and Why Don't We Do It In The Road.

And so...why shouldn´t they??? what the heck.....

Date: July 16, 2015 05:47

Hey sleepy, just stick ´with ob-la-di..., good nite and i will

Date: July 16, 2015 05:54

This song seems almost like a demo, as if they only used a cheap cassette recorded which had a covered-up microphone, listened back, and thought, 'Good enough'...Not awful, but definitely one of Exile's (only) low-points.

Date: July 16, 2015 06:12

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
This song seems almost like a demo, as if they only used a cheap cassette recorded which had a covered-up microphone, listened back, and thought, 'Good enough'...Not awful, but definitely one of Exile's (only) low-points.

hey, ya got a pont, but: if this sounds to you like a throwaway, then exile, white album, aloha from hawaii make no sense to you at all.....

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 16, 2015 10:02

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

This is another example where Jagger's "recollections" seem implausible. He calls it a "jam" with Jagger singing vocals thought up on the spot. Let's think about that. The basic track was done in Nellcote. Parts were then worked out for studio musicians (Whitlock, presumably, and Plummer), and fairly complex background vocals, and recorded in LA. The song structure and feel of the track must have been deliberate - there was too much time and expense put into it to come to any other conclusion.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 16, 2015 10:37

I thought this track was nothing 1972, today it's a masterpiece...
(I'm still waiting for the album 'Dirty Work' to be a masterpiece to my ears)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 16, 2015 12:07

great track.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 16, 2015 16:38

Whitlock has started publicly campaigning for writers credit. He claims he initiated the groove and chords. Bobby's dad was a preacher and Mick got the idea from that. Whitlock says he turned down an offer to "join" The Stones to form Derek and The Dominoes with Clapton, where he was a full partner. Bobby infers he is not credited because he rejected The Glimmes. One of the most unique tracks they've ever done. At first easily dismissed, Mick can be a great producer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 16:42 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 16, 2015 17:20

Mathijs
It defines Exile in a way -you imagine them sitting there in this swampy basement, jamming on tracks like this. Funny thing though that it was completely recorded in LA.

Mathijs

I thought that the track was one of those recorded in Nellcote. Wikipedia says as much. Was it worked on in Nellcote and then completely redone in LA? For Whitlock's claims to be valid, the song would have had to originate in LA, so maybe that's right.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 16, 2015 18:51

nice reminiscences, Relms

Posted by: relms ()
Date: July 16, 2015 19:08

peoplewitheyes
nice reminiscences, Relms
smiling smiley If offered a chance I would go back and do it all again in a split second.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 16, 2015 19:18

DoomandGloom
Whitlock has started publicly campaigning for writers credit. He claims he initiated the groove and chords. Bobby's dad was a preacher and Mick got the idea from that. Whitlock says he turned down an offer to "join" The Stones to form Derek and The Dominoes with Clapton, where he was a full partner. Bobby infers he is not credited because he rejected The Glimmes. One of the most unique tracks they've ever done. At first easily dismissed, Mick can be a great producer.

I wouldn't say he is campaigning for credit as much as just trying to share his memories of how the song was created. I generally think anybody who was involved with writing a song with the Stones is likely to remember it, and since Mick has said he doesn't even remember who was playing on it, I tend to believe Mr. Whitlock's version of the story. No doubt Mick was instrumental in making the tune as well so not to take any credit from him but I would say Jagger/Whitlock would probably be a better description of the writers here.

Date: July 16, 2015 21:28

RawIguanaCologne
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

hey, ya got a pont, but: if this sounds to you like a throwaway, then exile, white album, aloha from hawaii make no sense to you at all.....

No, I enjoy the White Album (well, except for 'Revolution 9' and maybe one more song...winking smiley) and Exile. I've never gave Aloha From Hawaii much of a listen...I don't know why, after all, I do have an old vinyl copy of it! Y'know what, I'm going to listen to it, and I've got a feeling I'll enjoy it (I love Elvis' music!)

drbryant
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

This is another example where Jagger's "recollections" seem implausible. He calls it a "jam" with Jagger singing vocals thought up on the spot. Let's think about that. The basic track was done in Nellcote. Parts were then worked out for studio musicians (Whitlock, presumably, and Plummer), and fairly complex background vocals, and recorded in LA. The song structure and feel of the track must have been deliberate - there was too much time and expense put into it to come to any other conclusion.

You may be right, but I suppose I'm just not too thrilled that there's the cross-fade from 'Ventilator' into this...Guess it's just not exactly my cup of tea.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 16, 2015 21:28

Naturalust
DoomandGloom

I wouldn't say he is campaigning for credit as much as just trying to share his memories of how the song was created. I generally think anybody who was involved with writing a song with the Stones is likely to remember it, and since Mick has said he doesn't even remember who was playing on it, I tend to believe Mr. Whitlock's version of the story. No doubt Mick was instrumental in making the tune as well so not to take any credit from him but I would say Jagger/Whitlock would probably be a better description of the writers here.
Certainly, I have no doubt Whitlock's ommition is more about the narrative of the album. A different writing partner for Jagger could not come to light, especially with Parsons and Keith being pals.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 16, 2015 22:40

I like this tune. Was actually listening to it last week a few times over and over. Great song.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 16, 2015 23:07

The moment when Ventilator Blues fades into Just Wanna See His Face is like being drawn through a vortex into a strange and mystical world.

To go from the dark heart of human nature into gospel like that is a stone cold trip.

You don't wanna walk and talk about Taylor, just wanna hear him play...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 16, 2015 23:26

Sleepy City
Amused
truly one of the best songs they did. the ultimate proof they can play everything.
if anyone can recommend me an album full of songs like this, I'd appreciate that!
I used to play Blind Boys Of Alabama to death... by the way, they did a great cover:

This is much better than the Stones version! eye popping smiley

Maybe if the RS version had a proper mix (& a proper intro) then I'd enjoy that more too.

Wow..Two propers back to back..Brit legend..

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 16, 2015 23:29

One of 18 good songs on Exile..

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 17, 2015 00:55

relms
Great track from what was the soundtrack to our summers at the lake.

We always left this cassette on our boat, permanently stuck in the player and used to just let it play over and over and over and over. It was a perfect long album for the lake. That is mostly what Exile is to me. Some of the other songs have grown life memories of their own, but this track, actually it is more just a "groove" is firmly stuck at the lake in my mind.

To me this groove feels like hot weather, warm sun, blue skies, summer breeze, cold beer, water skiing until we were worn out and then just hanging out on the speedboat, drifting around doing nothing but smiling ya ya ya... fine,fine,fine seeing the warm sun glisten on my beautiful long term girlfriend(long gone now). Listening to this track brings back vivid memories of her standing on the small front part of the boat slow dancing while this groove played... sipping my cold beer and loving life. I can still see her moving to this groove, like a movie in my head, it is just that kind of groovytrack. ya ya ya.... fine,fine,fine... ya ya ya... fine,fine,fine... ya ya ya... ya ya ya... fine,fine,fine...

Can we get that time machine working already?

I am there! And I might try nick your girlfriend!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 03:32

I Just Wanna See His Face....Just wanna see his face! Stand up and be counted among those who submerge themselves in the Spanish moss trolling through the plantations looking for the lord, Ju Ju, Gris Gris. . . chicken heads and feet propped staring toward the needle and spoon. A fabulous journey is had when listening to I Just Want to See His Face. No passport necessary to travel through time and smell the mint juleps wafting from the front porch. Stand up and be counted!

Date: July 17, 2015 04:12

71Tele
Rockman
4 Exile On Main St. by Rolling Stones (Rolling Stones Records) 1972X

'I Just Want To See His Face' - that song had a big impact on me, particularly learning how to sing in that high falsetto, the way Jagger does. When he sings like a girl, I go crazy. I said, 'I've got to learn how to do that.' I couldn't really do it until I stopped smoking. That's when it started getting easier to do. [Waits's own] 'Shore Leave' has that, 'All Stripped Down', 'Temptation'. Nobody does it like Mick Jagger; nobody does it like Prince. But this is just a tree of life. This record is the watering hole. Keith Richards plays his ass off. This has the Checkerboard Lounge all over it.

Tom Waits ---- It's Perfect Madness -- The Observer. March 20, 2005

And who better to know than Tom? People who don't like Exile because it doesn't have "hits" or has a "muddy" mix are missing the whole juke joint atmosphere and gritty, twangy Southern swamp that I am convinced is the closest thing to what the Stones heard in their heads than any other record they have done. Exile is juke joints, pool halls, black churches, sweating dancers, whiskey in a cup, and a blade hidden in the sock. If someone doesn't get Exile I am sure they also don't get Howling Wolf or Tom Waits either. Probably prefer boring "rock" music - which Exile certainly isn't. Tom knows his shit, man.

Y'know I know of Tom Waits, but don't know anything that he sings. If I wanted to listen to him, where should I start??

Date: July 17, 2015 04:16

andrewt
The moment when Ventilator Blues fades into Just Wanna See His Face is like being drawn through a vortex into a strange and mystical world.

To go from the dark heart of human nature into gospel like that is a stone cold trip.

You don't wanna walk and talk about Taylor, just wanna hear him play...

Great line right there!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 17, 2015 04:23

One of the best ever unplayed songs...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home