Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Stones show from 78???
Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 08:38

This is more of a question than anything else. I only have the passaic NJ show which i agree with most is very good and I have handsome girls but what am I missing?

Re: Best Stones show from 78???
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 28, 2011 10:45

apart from shows you're missing "Girls, Pills & Powders" and "Woodstock Rehearsals 1978", two amazing bootlegs from the same year with studio sessions.
when it comes to live stuff, which Handsome Girls you have? The Swingin' Pig is 4CD while Dandelion is just 2CD...
Saturday Night Live 1978 material isn't the best I've heard
Hollywood Studio Sessions August-Sept 1978 can do.
that'd be all for me...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 28, 2011 11:44

""Woodstock Rehearsals 1978", two amazing bootlegs from the same year with studio sessions"

Imho the playing is often sloppy on this one (warming up for a tour doesn't make for great performances) but there are some rare covers on this set.

Regarding live shows : Detroit is an overlooked gem.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 28, 2011 17:00

I personally like New York and Washington.

Date: June 28, 2011 17:23

Detroit seems like the best. We only have a few songs from it, though.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 28, 2011 17:27

Wasn't the Detroit show played in a very small venue in '78?

Date: June 28, 2011 17:44

yes it was.

Posted by: wandlimb ()
Date: June 28, 2011 17:56

Does anyone know if one exists from Cleveland '78? I have one on a cassette tape I recorded when I was in the crowd. I'm going to be transferring it to digital this weekend, if I have time.

Karla

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:04

They did Satisfaction only once that tour.

Real lazy and loud version.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:06

"Wasn't the Detroit show played in a very small venue in '78?"

It was at the Masonic Hall and someone (was it here or at HC?) shared his memories of the show (as an attendee). It was QUITE wild with people crashing the gates and invading the floor of the venue while the band was playing.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:12

Detroit or Ft Worth

Date: June 28, 2011 18:14

wandlimb
Does anyone know if one exists from Cleveland '78? I have one on a cassette tape I recorded when I was in the crowd. I'm going to be transferring it to digital this weekend, if I have time.

Karla

Yes it does,i have 2 versions one from audiotape another is VGP one.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:16

they did satisfaction in chicago so there may be more than one performance for the '78 tour.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:20

wandlimb

Karla

This one (Rimshout) has the SG songs from Cleveland 78:

Just so-so quality, obviously a crowd recording.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:47

sundevil
they did satisfaction in chicago so there may be more than one performance for the '78 tour.

They also did Satisfaction as an encore in Oakland on Mick's birthday, July 26, 1978. They were not doing encores that tour.

Date: June 28, 2011 19:44

Greensboro is another ex show,too bad recording is incomplete,incredible energy that night!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:06

wandlimb

Karla

Yeah there is a Cleveland boot rolling around, sound quality is pretty poor though

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:13

New York-Academy of Music...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:40

ROPENI
New York-Academy of Music...

I thought it was played at New York Palladium....? Is this the same venue, only in different names?

Date: June 29, 2011 18:41

It was palladium to my knowledege,anyways brilliant gig!

Date: June 29, 2011 18:45

DandelionPowderman
Detroit seems like the best. We only have a few songs from it, though.

Well that's not really true, we're only missing 5 songs; "Far Away Eyes", "Respectable", "Sweet Little Sixteen," Brown Sugar" and "Jumpin Jack Flash"

Detroit IS the best show of the tour, though - IMO. Other great ones, Chicago, Myrtle Beach and New York City.....as a starter.
Mostly, the stadium shows were not good, only the gigs at smaller venues. Chicago and 2nd Anaheim are exceptions.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: June 29, 2011 19:58

Same venue, the Academy reopened as the Palladium ( I think the promoter Ron Delsner bought it ) it in Sept 1976?

Date: June 29, 2011 20:08

Myrtle beach wow that show has an energy!

Date: June 29, 2011 20:25

marko
Myrtle beach wow that show has an energy!

It sure has, Marko

But I'm surprised to see you mentioning Greensboro, here
Yes Greensboro has got great energy, I agree -but the energy is directed at nowhere, I think.

Date: June 29, 2011 20:55

Well,,,i do think Greensboro has best version of when the whip comes down.
After i have finished uploading boring ABB shows,78 will get and treat,,all the shows ofcourse.

Erik,what do you think of Lexinton or Membhis(i have nice recording of this)?

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 29, 2011 20:59

rattler2004
wandlimb

Karla

Yeah there is a Cleveland boot rolling around, sound quality is pretty poor though

Indeed. I have it on vinyl and it's a ghastly recording of an even worse show. I was there.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: June 29, 2011 21:03

Cleveland is dreadful - my understanding is the Stones were blown off stage by opener Kansas which will tell you how bad they were.

Posted by: wandlimb ()
Date: June 29, 2011 21:13

R
rattler2004
wandlimb

Karla

Indeed. I have it on vinyl and it's a ghastly recording of an even worse show. I was there.

Of course, I was 17 and caught up in the moment. I remember being disappointed that it was only 90 minutes, though.

Karla

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 29, 2011 21:15

stewedandkeefed
Cleveland is dreadful - my understanding is the Stones were blown off stage by opener Kansas which will tell you how bad they were.

It was dark and rainy all day and there was just an ugly vibe in the air. Kansas was well received but Peter Tosh most assuredly was not. The Stones played horrifically, Jaggers voice was a coked out croak and his gaunt appearance under that red cap freaked people out. There was, of course, the knucklehead contingent who didn't know or care to know, the Some Girls stuff so they set about lighting cherry bombs. The whole show was less than 90 minutes which pissed people off as well since the Stones had provided a nearly three hour tour de force in the same venue three years earlier. Also, the show ENDED in the late afternoon. I was back in Toledo by 7pm or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-29 21:26 by R.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 29, 2011 22:41

I was at the '78 Greensboro show, and I've always rated it ninth on my list of nine Stones concerts between 1975 - 2006.

However, I finally listened to the bootleg of the show last summer for the first time, and I have to say that I may have ranked the concert a little lower than I should have.

It's funny. How much you enjoy (or do NOT enjoy) a concert can have a lot to do with who you are with, your energy level, your expectations of what the show "should" sound like, the people around you (like idiots on all sides of you jabbering on and on about things like "did you go to the beach this summer?," or, "Yeah, man, rock and roll! Rock and Roll! Did you hear me? ROCK AND ROLL!!" etc.)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home