Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: I Go Wild
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2011 05:47

JJHMick
Should have become the Brown Sugar of the 90s.

It probably could have, if it had different lyrics, melody and playing.

As is, it's zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 15, 2011 06:36

Rev. Robert W.
So depressing.

A lame song, recorded for the sole purpose of rousing beer-swilling concertgoers into a stadiumwide singalong...

And it failed.

Neatly sums up the worst aspects of the Stones in the post-Steel Wheels era.

Calculated stadium rock garbage, indeed!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 15, 2011 07:58

strange but true: i agree with all of the above :E

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 15, 2011 09:33

marcovandereijk
The Stones returning to their guitar oriented roots. Songs like this made the big difference
between the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour and the Voodoo Lounge tour:

Wonderful guitar weave going on. The lick Keith plays 4.02-4.04 is one of those Keith-licks I'm addicted to. I uisng it all the time when playing at home.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:26

lettingitbleed
...and..no Keith involvement! 100% Jagger

Do you think so? It sounds very much like a Keith song to me... Certainly there's nothing quite as basic as this on 'Wandering Spirit' but some of the lesser songs on 'Main Offender' come close.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:40

The Scott Litt remix is better than the LP version. It is the kind of song they can just toss off though. What Keith might consider "the Stones doing a Stones song" or however he put it once about making another album - Bridges perhaps.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:10

Well, I said it should have become thew Brown Sugar of the 90s. First of all because I like it but there are some 'reasons' too.
I don't read any lyrics in it that are MORE offensive than in Brown Sugar...
I think it owes more to the Riff-Rock-Stones-Style of Brown Sugar or Start Me Up and would have fared better than just heavy numbers like You Got Me Rocking or later Rough Justice that were released as singles.
If you look up some old georgelicks charts you will find that Love Is Strong was a US flop despite the NYC video - maybe a true Stones riff rocker like I Go Wild would have helped here. At least, I am sure that it would have fared better than You Got Me Rocking which got about the same 3 weeks of top 100 sales as I Go Wild a year later as a fifth (or fourth) single.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:25

How the hell did I miss this video back in the day? I swear MTV was boycotting the Stones in the 1990s. Never knew this existed.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:38

Keith calls this one a Mick track in LIFE. There's the story about Keith and Ronnie walking into the studio when Mick is rehearsing this song and Keith tells Mick "there's only two guitar players in this band and you're not one of them" which explodes into a lengthy childish argument with Anita being thrown into the mix as they both bear the grievances they had collected for several decades. Ronnie, Don Was, and Charlie retreat to the sound booth to wait it out. They end up hugging and then the band cuts the track.

I agree the Scott Litt mix was superior to the album track. I felt the same way about the Saber final mix of "Out of Control."

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:31

DragonSky
The Scott Litt remix is better than the LP version.

It is damn good. But I'm not sure it's technically a remix, maybe instead an alternate version. Anyway, here it is for the uninitiated:

[www.myspace.com]

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-16 01:34 by drewmaster.

Date: June 16, 2011 04:40

It's technically a remix. Just because it doesn't have that 'club' beat stuff going on and all that racket and other things like what the One Hit and Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions remixes have doesn't mean it's not a remix. It's a different mix than the LP version - plus the editing is less. Just like the Miss You 12" remix - it's essentially the LP version minus the editing.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 16, 2011 15:20

DragonSky
It's technically a remix. Just because it doesn't have that 'club' beat stuff going on and all that racket and other things like what the One Hit and Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions remixes have doesn't mean it's not a remix. It's a different mix than the LP version - plus the editing is less. Just like the Miss You 12" remix - it's essentially the LP version minus the editing.

I'm no expert on remixes, but this version has a different vocal and different guitars from the album version. I'm not saying it has to have club beats and all that, just that a remix doesn't contain any new elements recorded by the original artist, and this does.

Drew

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 16, 2011 15:44

Rocky Dijon
Keith calls this one a Mick track in LIFE. There's the story about Keith and Ronnie walking into the studio when Mick is rehearsing this song and Keith tells Mick "there's only two guitar players in this band and you're not one of them" which explodes into a lengthy childish argument with Anita being thrown into the mix as they both bear the grievances they had collected for several decades. Ronnie, Don Was, and Charlie retreat to the sound booth to wait it out. They end up hugging and then the band cuts the track.

I agree the Scott Litt mix was superior to the album track. I felt the same way about the Saber final mix of "Out of Control."

..it's examples like this that often make me question Keiths integrity....I mean he says it's about the music and then he does nothing to stop the "dreck" from coming out. If he was so strongly opposed he should have made an artistic/professional/honourable stand.
In business one of the worst things an associate can do is go along with your idea when you present it to him only to trash you in front of the boss or other associates...it's called back stabbing....and I think Keith does way too much of that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 19, 2011 17:12

I love I Go Wild - In fact I like Voodoo Lounge a lot. to me its the best album from the 4 that they've down since 1989. Pretty low output by the boys since then!!!!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 19, 2011 20:07

drewmaster
this version has a different vocal and different guitars from the album version

Scott Litt mix has guitars up in the mix but both versions look the same basically.
The only difference is one version is logner (Scott Litt mix).

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 20, 2011 23:21

This song is the slow cousin of "You Got Me Rockin' Now". It's got the same kind of production values but is a little more boring. I don't mind it. Sometimes, I enjoy it even. But overall, it's probably one of the weaker tracks from "Voodoo Lounge".

Date: June 20, 2011 23:50

drewmaster
DragonSky

I'm no expert on remixes, but this version has a different vocal and different guitars from the album version. I'm not saying it has to have club beats and all that, just that a remix doesn't contain any new elements recorded by the original artist, and this does.

Drew

Then what do you call the 12" version of Miss You? It's the same kind of thing. That was edited to be even longer but contains vocal and guitar parts that were left out of/mixed differently than the LP/single version.

The Scott Litt remix of I Go Wild is just that, a different mix, with a little less editing ie why the song is a little longer. There are some other vocal bits left in the mix, as well as a couple of extra measures of guitar here and there. It's no different than the Bob Clearmountain remix of Love Is Strong - some different guitar levels, some other guitar tracks used in places where they are not used on the LP version, a little less editing, as well as some additional vocal bits by Mick.

Call it the Les Is More remixing which, for me, is much better than all those other kinds of so called remixes that totally ruin a song.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: June 21, 2011 16:51

i always liked this one....even if you consider it a typical stones rocker - but i like these, so what?smiling smiley))))

Posted by: turd ()
Date: June 21, 2011 17:12

I don't understand why they changed the arrangement when they played it live.
The intro is different, the guitar lick is different, the drums are different, the vocals in the verses are lost somehow - and it seems slower.
Pity - great song on record.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home