Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: its only rock and roll---the Album
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 1, 2011 16:37

Like I said, I don't really like the album that much, but I do think Short And Curlies is a lot better than most people seem to think. It's a catchy little number with nice vocals and a cool sound to it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 1, 2011 16:46

"Short and Curlies" is fun, but it's like a "finished" version of "Hide Your Love," which works better somewhat unfinished.

I like the title track, "Luxury," and "Fingerprint File." "Dance Little Sister" has some appeal, but it feels mechanical.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 1, 2011 17:55

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
treaclefingers
cc
LieB
Possibly the Stones worst album pre-Dirty Work.

+1

how could a band this successful make such a poorly produced album?

-1 there is nothing wrong with this album...better than GHS.

NOT better than GHS. At least that record had some songs with actual feeling: 100 Years Ago, Winter, Coming Down Again. Not so with IORR, which had a few rock throwaways, a stale ballad, a fairly mediocre Motown cover, an ok funk workout, and possibly their weakest single to date.

No rockers on GHS are better than IYCRM, imo.

I too think that CDA is better than the ballads on IORR, but do you really find TWFNO stale?

And FF is WAY better than 100 Years Ago, imo.

Still, I like GHS the most, but that´s mainly due to the horrendous sound on IORR.

Well, rockers isn't really the best thing about GHS, so I agree with you there. I never said TWFNO was stale, I meant Til The Next Goodbye...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 1, 2011 17:57

straycatblues73
im amazed by the lack of appreciation here especially for Short & Curlies - whats not to like ?
a great , fun song , good harmonies , keith at his very best ,funny lyrics .
dance LS is a great one taker.
aint too PTB nice version, amazing originality in keiths solo. maybe they should finish the covers album
the ballads are all good.
luxury, another fun song with phony accent.
and FINGERPRINT FILE ,how can you not love this song ? fantastic arrangement, great closer.

more comedy songs on this album than before, just sit back and enjoy them.

What's not to like about Short & Curlies? It's very, very weak songwriting. Lazy.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 1, 2011 18:33

71Tele
straycatblues73
im amazed by the lack of appreciation here especially for Short & Curlies - whats not to like ?
a great , fun song , good harmonies , keith at his very best ,funny lyrics .
dance LS is a great one taker.
aint too PTB nice version, amazing originality in keiths solo. maybe they should finish the covers album
the ballads are all good.
luxury, another fun song with phony accent.
and FINGERPRINT FILE ,how can you not love this song ? fantastic arrangement, great closer.

more comedy songs on this album than before, just sit back and enjoy them.

What's not to like about Short & Curlies? It's very, very weak songwriting. Lazy.

so thats a technical issue , but what about the overall sound and presentation ?

about lazy songwriting , what about songs like i'm alright (whoever actually wrote that)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 1, 2011 18:36

KeefintheNight82
What are the Bsides and outakes from this one?

If 'Through the Lonely Nights' is from this album, I think it's better than several songs on the album and could have been a good one if included.

What about 'waiting on a friend'? Is it an outtake from this album?

Possibly could have been some stronger stuff on the album.

WOAF is from GHS. And they did the right thing in leaving it off until they'd finished it properly. Through The Lonely Nights is a GHS outtake as well.

Drift Away is an IORR outtake - probably omitted as one cover was enough. Living In The Heart of Love is another. Interesting as a song on a bootleg, but probably needed a bit more work.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 1, 2011 18:59

Actually, originally IORR was to have one side of covers...hence Drift Away, but after cutting that and ATPTB they scrapped that idea and went towards a full fledged studio album or their originals...

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 1, 2011 22:24

well, for me its their no.4 in the seventies--behind "sticky"-"Exile"-and "Some Girls"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2011 00:08

Havo
well, for me its their no.4 in the seventies--behind "sticky"-"Exile"-and "Some Girls"

thumbs up

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 21, 2011 15:06

I've just got It's only Rock'n Roll SHM-SACD.
This slow tempo version of Finger Print File was very interesting.
It's kind of funny but Mick's whispering was totally new to me, then it's OK.thumbs up

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 21, 2011 15:49

A time and place album. I like to re-visit it occasionally.

Never really liked the song IORR, but like the rest.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: June 21, 2011 16:39

when i was youngsmiling smiley)) i liked IORR a lot, both the album and the song, but now i consider it one of their weaker albums ofthe 70ies. i still like especially IYCRM. cant stand (in fact never could) IYRWTBMF....Short & Curlies for me is fun, maybe a simple song but at least not pretending more....

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 21, 2011 19:01

The only negative thing about IORR I can say is the muffled mixing, even on the new editions; a great Rock/Soul/Blues/Ballad album with unchallenged highlights like "Time Waits For No One", "Fingerprint File", "Till the Next Good Bye", "If You really Want To Be My Friend". An album of the transition from MT to RW with an awesome solo from Keith on "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", the only version of this song I like.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 21, 2011 23:51

Agree totally with your 4 listed unchallenged highlights. Oustanding songs which would have been challenged if not the virtuosity and musicality of MickT. 20 minutes of musical heaven.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 22, 2011 00:05

I like listening to this album in the summer time for some reason. It has a fun vibe to it.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 22, 2011 00:22

IORR is a bit strange for a Stones album. Not very rock'n roll one.
But I love it for Fingerprint file, IORR, Time waits for no one.
The sound is however bad.

Did someone plan to buy the SACD just released ? it is from "DSD 2011 master made with analog tape" (see cdjapan) but does it mean it is mastered from analog tape ? not sure.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 22, 2011 06:12

Took me a while to come around to this one. "Luxury" is completely underrated and "Dance Little Sister" is a great song to rock out in a bar. "Time Waits For No One" is a lost treasure and of course the title track is a Bona-fide Stones classic. Could have done without "Short & Curlies" "Till the Next Goodbye" and "If You Really Want to Be My Friend." "Fingerprint File" worked better live IMO.
Funny how GHS, IORR, BAB and ER were considered for years to be the nadir of Stones music, and now they're thought to be something of a "silver era" for the band.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: June 22, 2011 09:24

I liked this lp a bit better than Goats.. I didnt like the cover picture on GHS.

Date: June 22, 2011 10:16

24FPS
Context is important too. Goats Head Soup was seen as a less than successful album, somewhat like Emotional Rescue being the followup to Some Girls. Goats Head Soup succeeded Exile and the expectations were high. Goats Head Soup was kind of dismissed, with a lot of good will given the band for the four masterful albums that had preceded it. Therefore 'It's Only Rock and Roll' was anticipated as a makeup for Goats Head Soup. But it simply couldn't live up to what people had expected of the Rolling Stones. I think if we were honest with ourselves, they never would be better than Exile.

As the single for the album, IORR was also slammed as not being in the league of their last major hit, Angie, which was a world wide smash. The album did lack some of the depth of even Goats Head Soup. IORR's followup, Black and Blue, was a bigger head scratcher for fans, with no hit single, and only 8 cuts! It wasn't until Some Girls that they regained some of their aura. But looking back, IORR is a much better album than generally agreed upon. It's biggest sin was not being in the same golden circle of the Stones' earlier work.

I thought Fool To Cry was a big hit single?

Date: June 22, 2011 10:32

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Context is important too. Goats Head Soup was seen as a less than successful album, somewhat like Emotional Rescue being the followup to Some Girls. Goats Head Soup succeeded Exile and the expectations were high. Goats Head Soup was kind of dismissed, with a lot of good will given the band for the four masterful albums that had preceded it. Therefore 'It's Only Rock and Roll' was anticipated as a makeup for Goats Head Soup. But it simply couldn't live up to what people had expected of the Rolling Stones. I think if we were honest with ourselves, they never would be better than Exile.

As the single for the album, IORR was also slammed as not being in the league of their last major hit, Angie, which was a world wide smash. The album did lack some of the depth of even Goats Head Soup. IORR's followup, Black and Blue, was a bigger head scratcher for fans, with no hit single, and only 8 cuts! It wasn't until Some Girls that they regained some of their aura. But looking back, IORR is a much better album than generally agreed upon. It's biggest sin was not being in the same golden circle of the Stones' earlier work.

"Fool to Cry" stalled in the top 10 in their two biggest markets (North America and Europe) whereas "Angie" was a massive #1 throughout the world; along with "Satisfaction," and "Honky Tonk Women" it's their most successful single, and the biggest hit they ever had in Europe.

Source
Jens B. Backlund
[users.abo.fi]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-22 10:34 by stevecardi.

Date: June 22, 2011 10:39

stevecardi
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

"Fool to Cry" stalled in the top 10 in their two biggest markets (North America and Europe) whereas "Angie" was a massive #1 throughout the world; along with "Satisfaction," and "Honky Tonk Women" it's their most successful single, and the biggest hit they ever had in Europe.

Source
Jens B. Backlund
[users.abo.fi]

Top 10 is a big hit single. Certainly not a "no hit single", imo.

Date: June 22, 2011 10:49

DandelionPowderman
stevecardi
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Source
Jens B. Backlund
[users.abo.fi]

Top 10 is a big hit single. Certainly not a "no hit single", imo.

LOL you're right. I should have put quotation marks around "stalled." I also should have completely read through your post, as you already mentioned "Angie" was a worldwide smash smileys with beer

Date: June 22, 2011 11:04

smiling smiley Yeah, but I was referring to 24PS, who claimed that Black And Blue didn´t have any hit singles.

Date: June 22, 2011 11:12

treaclefingers
Havo

thumbs up

It's not everyday you meet TWO Stones fans who like IORR more than Sticky Fingers and Ya-Yas grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-22 11:13 by stevecardi.

Date: June 22, 2011 12:47

It must've been the times. That nembutal sound, engineers. producers and musicians on narcotics - and everything sounds hazy.
Most of the songs are pretty good, but could do with a remastering. You want to go in there with some windex, and clear off that film. And the songs could do with an infusion of tempo. Snare needs some spark. getr id of Rebop. Switch "Curlies" out for "Through the Lonely Nights".

Date: June 22, 2011 12:58

Palace Revolution 2000
It must've been the times. That nembutal sound, engineers. producers and musicians on narcotics - and everything sounds hazy.
Most of the songs are pretty good, but could do with a remastering. You want to go in there with some windex, and clear off that film. And the songs could do with an infusion of tempo. Snare needs some spark. getr id of Rebop. Switch "Curlies" out for "Through the Lonely Nights".

The album is re-mastered, and it still sounds muddy. A re-mix would have done the trick, imo.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 24, 2011 20:24

DandelionPowderman
The album is re-mastered, and it still sounds muddy. A re-mix would have done the trick, imo.

A remix is the last of 'It's Only Rock N Roll's worries, in my opinion. The problem with the album is the fact that the Stones were just not feeling very inspired in this period. The songs tend to lack focus, and are not written and arranged as meticulously as their work which was released around this same period. The Stones may have sounded a little tired and jaded on 'Goats Head Soup', but by 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' they were pretty much scraping the barrel, although to be honest, several of the songs display potential, but they are just not worked on in a dedicated enough fashion. However, songs like 'If You Can't Rock Me', 'Aint Too Proud To Beg', It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (the title track), and 'Dance Little Sister', sound uninspiringly forced. Sure, they sound typically Stones-like in style, but they ring hollow pretty quickly.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 24, 2011 20:28

I hear Mick trying really hard on this album, and someone else watching their teeth rot waiting for another fix.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: June 24, 2011 21:05

You cats over-analyze this crap...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 24, 2011 21:29

jamesfdouglas
I hear Mick trying really hard on this album, and someone else watching their teeth rot waiting for another fix.

Maybe so. In fact, of course, you make a very good point. Keith was pretty much out of it, although i really don't think Mick was terribly inspired, either. The sentiments of the title track alone seem to indicate that Mick was pretty much resigned to the lowest common denominator in terms of his aspirations at this point. The Stones were pretty much showing signs of relenting in terms of their musical ambitions, and were content to regard the recording of this album as overwhelmingly their objective to create 'Only Rock 'N' Roll'. Not that they've ever been a group with high and mighty aspirations anyway, and certainly rarely pretentious. However, lyrically, and musically, they were very much recording to order, and playing on the 'it's only rock 'n' roll' theme. Many groups have built their careers on just that, but the Stones in previous times managed to transcend their music, into something more meaningful, which is pretty much what has always set them apart. 'If You Can't Rock Me' is the type of track those not acquainted with the Stones would perhaps believe littered the Stones output, but this is far from true. 'If You Can't Rock Me' was one of the first times that the Stones would resort to cliche. 'Time Waits For No-One' is interesting musically and lyrically, and perhaps a touch autobiographical in terms of its sentiments, certainly in view that the Stones already appeared to have peaked. Musically it is interesting, but it does sound as though its sound had been arrived at via the mixing desk, and not a pre-conceived notion of where the song was going.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-24 21:34 by Edward Twining.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home