Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: May 24, 2011 22:50

Classic Rolling Stones track. Bill's bass is great too! thumbs up I prefer the stereo version...

There's no reason not to believe that Brian play the acoustic part.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 24, 2011 23:22

A great song by any measure but especially for those who witnessed its release, to be around in 65 and have this "new" song hit the airwaves....wow.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 25, 2011 01:57

DandelionPowderman
lapaz62
The Kinks, You Really Got Me and All Day and All Of The Night came out a year before Satisfaction, dont you think they are better Rock Songs.

Absolutely not, not even close, imo. Satisfaction's sound, riff, lyrics and the message of frustration defined the 60s.

You Really Got Me is nothing but sexual frustration. Satisfaction on first listen is nothing but the same. To say that the Kinks doubleheader of You Really Got Me and All Day and All of the Night are not even close to Satisfaction is mind blowing. I recognize Satisfaction's popularity and it's singular importance the summer of '65, but now I don't find myself listening to it unless it comes on oldies radio. I think the singles that followed right after, Get Off My Cloud and 19th Nervous Breakdown are better. Otis Redding did it right.

Date: May 25, 2011 02:18

Was the 'True Stereo' version released on the first pressing of the German Hot Rocks cd released anywhere else?

Scotty,
Irvine,CA

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 25, 2011 03:06

Bärs
whitem8
...the fans who were questioning what was the point of everything when all you had in life was ...college, wife, kids, safe career ... No Satisfaction indeed.

Would you have more satisfaction in life without education, a partner, children, and a safe job?
The point being that society at that time was saying this is what you need for satisfaction. This is what will plug you into the consumer society and you will be on the fast track to satisfaction. Yet this was a time where the youth were waking up to a bigger life outside of their well managed and manicured bubble.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 25, 2011 09:55

[email protected]
Was the 'True Stereo' version released on the first pressing of the German Hot Rocks cd released anywhere else?

Scotty,
Irvine,CA

No, I don´t think so - but there´s a bootleg called "Stereo", seek and you will find...

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 25, 2011 10:42

whitem8
Bärs
whitem8
...the fans who were questioning what was the point of everything when all you had in life was ...college, wife, kids, safe career ... No Satisfaction indeed.

Would you have more satisfaction in life without education, a partner, children, and a safe job?
The point being that society at that time was saying this is what you need for satisfaction. This is what will plug you into the consumer society and you will be on the fast track to satisfaction. Yet this was a time where the youth were waking up to a bigger life outside of their well managed and manicured bubble.

I don't know.... Many people on iorr would probably kill someone if that would be what it takes to get a good education, a big family and a safe career.

Date: May 25, 2011 10:54

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
lapaz62
The Kinks, You Really Got Me and All Day and All Of The Night came out a year before Satisfaction, dont you think they are better Rock Songs.

Absolutely not, not even close, imo. Satisfaction's sound, riff, lyrics and the message of frustration defined the 60s.

You Really Got Me is nothing but sexual frustration. Satisfaction on first listen is nothing but the same. To say that the Kinks doubleheader of You Really Got Me and All Day and All of the Night are not even close to Satisfaction is mind blowing. I recognize Satisfaction's popularity and it's singular importance the summer of '65, but now I don't find myself listening to it unless it comes on oldies radio. I think the singles that followed right after, Get Off My Cloud and 19th Nervous Breakdown are better. Otis Redding did it right.

Aquired taste is one thing. A look at the sales numbers, and what became of the bands after their swan song is another thing. Satisfaction made the Stones go from big to huge. The reason? They released a brilliant song that the whole world could relate to. That wasn't the case with the two other songs mentioned, although they are very, very good.

To describe Satisfaction as nothing but a summer hit - that IS mind blowing, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-25 10:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: sealingwax ()
Date: May 25, 2011 11:00

Love this version. Especially Brian's loud guitar!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-25 11:02 by sealingwax.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 25, 2011 19:30

'To describe Satisfaction as nothing but a summer hit - that IS mind blowing, imo.' - Dandelion Powerman

I didn't say it was nothing but a summer hit. To be THE hit of the summer of '65 really meant something. This was the age of massive singles competing with England, competing with Motown, competing with the Brill Building. It's SINGULARITY is what stands out. I can't tell you what THE single of the other summers was, but a lot of people know that Satisfaction owned the summer of 1965. For America, I think of Summer in the City as the single of the summer of '66, but I don't know if that translated world wide the way Satisfaction did. In fact I can't think of any other single that dominated a particular summer the way Satisfaction did. It owned a time and place. And it certainly elevated the band to a whole new level of popularity. But it is certainly not the greatest song in the Stones catalogue. It may be recognized as such because of its identification with the band, but it's no Jumpin' Jack Flash or Honky Tonk Women.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 23, 2012 20:19

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: September 23, 2012 20:26

THE MOST FAMOUS " ROCK RIFF" INTRO EVER drinking smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 23, 2012 20:34

Silver Dagger
Simply the greatest pop song of all time. The beginning of garage punk, rock and punk itself - all can be traced down to this one incredible gem of a song.

The way it starts up with that incessant riff, that grows and grows and carries Jagger's howling tale of sexual frustration right down the rock'n'roll highway.

It's the song that nearly every hot blooded male - and probably females too - can relate to - not getting your way in a phoney bullshit world. And all the while you're singing your head off to it on the dance floor or in a car imagining all the dumbass authority figures that you just want to blow away.

And you know what - it still sounds just as great today as it did the day it came out. Pure pop genius.

A or The rock anthem for those who were on that world at that time. In any case, you feel highly frustated when you do not hear it at a Stones concert. Same for JJF.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2012 23:59

Great track, sorry GREATEST track of course. I wish they would have played it in concert, similar to the original studio version.

I find the Otis Redding funk breakout tiresome. Don't get me wrong, I like Otis Redding doing it, just not the Stones doing Otis Redding doing it.

It would be like hearing CCR do Tina Turner's version of Proud Mary. Tina's version is great BUT YOU HAVE YOUR OWN VERSION!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 24, 2012 00:09

Ah... 6th Form discos and my world famous Mick jagger impression.

This was the best tune for it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 24, 2012 02:29

I read through all of these posts and find some intersting view points. Like Louie Louie is a better song that one blows my mind. To hear this song when it was released would have been cool. I don't listen to it all that often anymore as I've heard it probably 1,000 times. When I do hear it after not listening to it for a while I'm still knocked out by the sudden impact of the riff. This is possibly the best rock song ever recorded. Not my favorite Stones song either but I have to rate it number one its a great great song!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 24, 2012 03:28

Brian doesn't even appear on the original studio version of Satisfaction? Where was he that he couldn't even handle tambourine, as on several other tracks from that period? Couldn't he at last have handled one of the guitars as he did on the backing track they used for their September 3, 1965 appearance on RSG?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 05:27

Influences:

1) Mick said in ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE that Keith had the line "I can't get no satisfaction" which he probably got from Chuck Berry's 30 DAYS with its line "I can't get no satisfaction from the judge."

2) In a now defunct magazine (whose title I forget), an interviewer asked Keith, "SATISFACTION has similarities to Martha and the Vandella's DANCING IN THE STREET. Was it influence?"

KEITH: [laughs] "Yeah, there might be a bit of that song in there."

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 24, 2012 05:49

Title5Take1
Influences:

1) Mick said in ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE that Keith had the line "I can't get no satisfaction" which he probably got from Chuck Berry's 30 DAYS with its line "I can't get no satisfaction from the judge."

2) In a now defunct magazine (whose title I forget), an interviewer asked Keith, "SATISFACTION has similarities to Martha and the Vandella's DANCING IN THE STREET. Was it influence?"

Are you sure it isn't Nowhere To Run? This track has the same drum tempo and rhythm riff.

By comparison, there are no recognizable elements of Satisfaction in the backing track for Dancing In The Streets

andys-backing-tracks.webs.com/dancinginthestreet.htm

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 09:08

stonesnow
Title5Take1
Influences:

Are you sure it isn't Nowhere To Run? This track has the same drum tempo and rhythm riff.

By comparison, there are no recognizable elements of Satisfaction in the backing track for Dancing In The Streets

andys-backing-tracks.webs.com/dancinginthestreet.htm

You have a good point. But here's an old IORR thread on it >>> [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 09:11 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 24, 2012 10:16

Concerning Brian on Satisfaction: without specific references, I remember several statements that point towards Brian not being there for the session. I think Bill mentioned that they did the session when they had two days off from the road, and that Brian was missing in action. Keith mentioned that they recorded Satisfaction as a demo that started out as some folk song, and that he added the riff just to sketch out the horn section.

Mathijs

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 24, 2012 10:30

If the released version of Satisfaction was a demo, as lots of sources say it was, then there's no particular reason why Brian would be expected to be in the studio. They were intending to finish it some other time (if at all - apparently they didn't think that highly of it) and he'd have been wanted then. But events overtook them and it got released in its 'unfinished' state. So no Brian.

Date: September 24, 2012 10:33

I also read that the fuzz guitar was a temporary fix and they were going to put horns in there.

That would have been a real Stax/Otis sound.

Glad they didn't though.

Date: September 24, 2012 11:36

Green Lady
If the released version of Satisfaction was a demo, as lots of sources say it was, then there's no particular reason why Brian would be expected to be in the studio. They were intending to finish it some other time (if at all - apparently they didn't think that highly of it) and he'd have been wanted then. But events overtook them and it got released in its 'unfinished' state. So no Brian.

It could very well be a demo, as Richards makes several mistakes with the fuzz guitar -coming in late, forgetting to switch the fuzz on etc.

Mathijs

Date: September 24, 2012 11:38

Mathijs
Green Lady

It could very well be a demo, as Richards makes several mistakes with the fuzz guitar -coming in late, forgetting to switch the fuzz on etc.

Mathijs

You got to love the days when records were "imperfect".

Keith definitely stutters at one point in the riff.

It's beautiful.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: September 24, 2012 20:45

Maybe it's because I'm a drummer but I'm surprised no one else
has commented on the tambourine playing in the song.
I was shocked to learn:

Jack Nitzsche - tambourine

Besides the fuzz guitar, I think this is second most important musical
element of the song.

As far as Brian, seems like I remember at first he wasn't fond of the song.
Too much rock and not enough blues.
Maybe that's why he didn't play on it, if that's true.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: September 24, 2012 21:10

marvpeck
Maybe it's because I'm a drummer but I'm surprised no one else
has commented on the tambourine playing in the song.
I was shocked to learn:

Jack Nitzsche - tambourine

Besides the fuzz guitar, I think this is second most important musical
element of the song.

Er...why are you 'shocked'? Most musicians can shake a tambourine at times...

Mathijs

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 22:14

I recall reading long ago, maybe in the Death Of A Rolling Stone book, that Brian didn't care for Satisfaction because all he played was acoustic guitar on it.
The wide stereo version of Satisfaction found on the original German Hot Rocks is pretty much the only version where the piano is clearly audible.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 24, 2012 22:27

DGA35
I recall reading long ago, maybe in the Death Of A Rolling Stone book, that Brian didn't care for Satisfaction because all he played was acoustic guitar on it.
Ironically the lyrics did fit his persona very well. smiling smiley

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: September 24, 2012 23:45

Mathijs
marvpeck

Er...why are you 'shocked'? Most musicians can shake a tambourine at times...

Mathijs

Well yes but I always assumed it was one of the Stones.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home