Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: John Lennon
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 8, 2014 05:55

While the Altamont free concert on December 5, 1969 ultimately turned into a tragedy,life went on. Except for poor Meredith Hunter.

Young music lovers around the world held tight to their idealism and belief in the words of many songs that resonated for them. Their music idols seemed
almost Godlike to numerous fans.

Record sales dramatically increased...Live concerts and rock clubs flourished.

Until something unthinkable happened. On December 8, 1980, John Lennon, with no warning at all, was MURDERED by a "fan."

THIS was the true End of Innocence for music lovers throughout the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 08:42 by stonesrule.

Re: OT: John Lennon
Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: December 8, 2014 12:10

Senseless in the extreme. Impossible to watch A Hard Day's Night without thinking "how could anybody kill him".

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:01

I heard the news when I was sitting warm under the kotatsu (Japanese-style warming device with low table with an electric heater).
It seems like it was only yesterday.

BTW,
I've received Rock'N'Roll on the hi-res SHM-SACD format today.
Though I have every version of this album from vinyl to remastered cds, this format must be hard-hitting in sound-wise.
This is real Hot Stuff, dude. Oldies But Moldies!grinning smiley

a couple of figures in front of John were George, Stuart Sutcliffe and Paul. (from left to right)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:26

John Lennon went much to soon .

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:34

I was of fairly young age (pre-teen) and learned from my family (older brothers and sisters mainly) and it didn't truly register with me till a few years later when I became a minor Beatles collector.

But it is definitely one of those things that had an impact for anybody aged in their twenties and above when it happened. Watching the footage shot of the crowd outside the Dakota and elsewhere immediately after clearly reflects that. But nowadays with so many years gone by I'm not sure how much it resonates, especially with so much turmoil reflected in today's news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 15:35 by nightskyman.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:41

nightskyman
I was of fairly young age (pre-teen) and learned from my family (older brothers and sisters mainly) and it didn't truly register with me till a few years later when I became a minor Beatles collector.

But it is definitely one of those things that had an impact for anybody aged in their twenties and above when it happened. Watching the footage shot of the crowd outside the Dakota and elsewhere immediately after clearly reflects that. But nowadays with so many years gone by I'm not sure how much it resonates, especially with so much turmoil reflected in today's news.

Even set against the standards of today such a murder would be shocking.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:51

MrThompsonWooft
nightskyman

Even set against the standards of today such a murder would be shocking.

Yes, of course. Any assassination occuring in America (of a celebrity be it rock star, actor, etc., let alone government leaders) would be shocking.

But I wasn't saying it would not be shocking...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 8, 2014 18:35

Played some JL today in remembrance. Sure did have a great Rock and Roll voice and very much into original Rock and Roll. Sure do miss his thoughts on politics and life, would be great to hear what he had to say today. Maybe that's why we've been denied? Anyhow, hope he's somewhere great enjoying eternity.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 8, 2014 18:49

The Beatles A Day in the Life

video: [www.youtube.com]

I remember very well this sad day for the music while watching the morning news the day after at 6 a.m. in Calgary Canada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 21:30 by runaway.

Posted by: Jon Lasaa ()
Date: December 8, 2014 18:57

Hi all.

Today I have been listening to a lot of The Beatles and Mr. Lennon´s songs.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 8, 2014 19:01

I'm sure when John Lennon wouldn't have killed by a mean a-hole, 34 years ago. We would have seen a big Beatles Reunion World Tour in the 90s.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 8, 2014 20:01

stonesrule
the true End of Innocence for music lovers throughout the world.

What on earth does that mean? confused smiley

Date: December 8, 2014 20:13

Maybe Stonesrule means that John Lennon was the last Rock And Roll hero we could trust and follow? Now it's just about fame and money, something to that affect. I could write more but sometimes I feel it's foolish to go too deep. In the end John meant a great deal to a whole lot of us. Worst thing is how he went.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 8, 2014 20:24

Koen
stonesrule

Good question. My innocence ended long before John Lennon's murder.

John Lennon was one of 12,000 Americans killed by gun violence in 1980. It's a serious problem here -- was a problem in 1981 and remains a problem today. About 24,000 Americans die each year by gunshot wounds, half as a result of suicide. Statistics are not kept on the number of wounded who survive.

I admire you Brits for your gun regulation laws. Just walking down a street in England is that much more pleasurable knowing you won't be a victim of random gun violence.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2014 20:30

As a 17 year old at the time of Lennon's death who was raised on the Beatles, this was mind-bogglingly sad (and still is to this day).
And from that personal perspective, the greatest tragedy in Rock and Roll history.

Date: December 8, 2014 20:48

Hairball, ironically I too was 17 years old then. I went into a tail spin for about 2 years afterwards. Today I look back at everything including how I have grown older. John was that "special" Rock and Roller for me. He shared his life with people like us and we listened. Those were the days. Thanks to Dr. Winston O' Boogie.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 8, 2014 20:56

It is still so sad and, really, shocking, after all these years.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 22:46

cant believe its 34 years. the frightening thing was, that if he didnt get him that night, he would have got him the next day, he admitted as such. john would have had no chance of escaping this crazed excuse for a human being.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:02

buttons67
cant believe its 34 years. the frightening thing was, that if he didnt get him that night, he would have got him the next day, he admitted as such. john would have had no chance of escaping this crazed excuse for a human being.

I never heard that before! And also frightening is 19 years later George is attacked:

"At approximately 3:30AM, Michael Abram, a 33-year old native of Liverpool, avoided security by scaling the fence of Harrison’s Friar Park estate near Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire and entered the mansion by throwing a statue through a window, which woke up the sleeping Harrisons.
George confronted Abram, who was screaming at the spiritual Beatle with a knife in his hand. The 56-year old Harrison ran at Abram to try to tackle and disarm him. The attempt was unsuccessful, and George was stabbed repeatedly in the chest."

Date: December 8, 2014 23:05

Buttons67- sometimes I have a hard time coping with the fact that "we" can't escape people like this. If John had a chance maybe he would have wrote a song about it. I think he would have, because that's the kind of guy he was. Without too much white washing (because he had faults) I will always be grateful for what he said in his music, plus the great tunes he composed. This is it for me on this subject. Until next year, when it repeats itself. That's just the way it is. Peace and Love to the fellow fans and music lovers.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:22

frankotero
Maybe Stonesrule means that John Lennon was the last Rock And Roll hero we could trust and follow?.

What does that even mean..

I can't stand fluff...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:25

well would you leave your lady and ya credit card with Gene Simmons while you took a quick slash???

ROCKMAN

Date: December 8, 2014 23:26

Pietro
Koen
stonesrule

John Lennon was one of 12,000 Americans killed by gun violence in 1980. It's a serious problem here -- was a problem in 1981 and remains a problem today. About 24,000 Americans die each year by gunshot wounds, half as a result of suicide. Statistics are not kept on the number of wounded who survive.

I admire you Brits for your gun regulation laws. Just walking down a street in England is that much more pleasurable knowing you won't be a victim of random gun violence.

Exactly. If your innocence ended because a rock star died and it still bothers you to this day then you are a lucky person.

It was a tragedy for someone that age to lose their life, and it was a tragedy for his family and for people who actually knew him.. The rest is just fluff..

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:43

Chapman is a loser douche who probably thinks he's "cured" now, I hope he gets out... I'd love to help re-indoctrinate that stain back into society...watch out little Markie....somebody just might lay some "Rough Justice" on you....

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 9, 2014 00:13

stanlove
Pietro
Koen
stonesrule

Exactly. If your innocence ended because a rock star died and it still bothers you to this day then you are a lucky person.

It was a tragedy for someone that age to lose their life, and it was a tragedy for his family and for people who actually knew him.. The rest is just fluff..

Of course its a tragedy when anyone is killed. Lennon was someone who meant something special to many people and who did nothing but bring joy into the lives of millions. His murder was a loss to many people who did not know him; more important it was and is symbolic of what this world does with its treasures. It is not "fluff,"despite your pseudo-sophisticated analysis. I don't have a problem with your critique of "loss of innocence,"but you should have stopped there.

Date: December 9, 2014 00:17

Rokyfan
stanlove
Pietro
Koen
stonesrule

Of course its a tragedy when anyone is killed. Lennon was someone who meant something special to many people and who did nothing but bring joy into the lives of millions. His murder was a loss to many people who did not know him; more important it was and is symbolic of what this world does with its treasures. It is not "fluff,"despite your pseudo-sophisticated analysis. I don't have a problem with your critique of "loss of innocence,"but you should have stopped there.

Millions of Beatles enjoyed the Beatles music. Lennon's death in 1980 didn't change anything about the Beatles..Are you saying that if Lennon didn't die millions of people actually couldn't live without the followup to DF?

I was old enough to know at the time that Lennon was not the big deal that he was built up to be after his death..It wasn't 1967 anymore.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 9, 2014 00:32

buttons67

He had been in New York a couple weeks earlier from what I understand and couldn't bring himself to do it. I think he also considered doing it a day or 2 before the 8th, so I'm sure he would have kept on until it was done.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 9, 2014 00:39

stanlove

If your innocence ended because a rock star died and it still bothers you to this day then you are a lucky person.

Lennon's death in 1980 didn't change anything about the Beatles..

Are you saying that if Lennon didn't die millions of people actually couldn't live without the followup to DF?

I can't stand fluff...

Every year when there is a Lennon remembrance thread, you always bust in with your heavy-handed tripe about how various posters take it too personally.

What is your frigging problem? If people want to take a day to remember a favorite artist who has passed, then just leave them to it. No one here needs to be psychoanalyzed or provoked by some high and mighty anonymous troll at a computer keyboard with an agenda of detached clinical superiority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 00:41 by stonehearted.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 9, 2014 01:40

ronkeith72
Chapman is a loser douche who probably thinks he's "cured" now, I hope he gets out... I'd love to help re-indoctrinate that stain back into society...watch out little Markie....somebody just might lay some "Rough Justice" on you....
He'll never get out. I guarantee he's one of the most hated killers still alive. He gets out, he'd be dead or so abused that he kills himself within 24 hours.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 9, 2014 02:13

"Fluff?"

In those times the murder of one of the most famous and revered musicians and songwriters in the world seemed impossible to believe.

We were still naïve about the jealousy and nuttiness...the ENVY that FAME apparently brings with it in the modern world. John was VERY famous...a
Beatle!

The SHOCK of his murder filled the world with tears. Tears shed by his fellow musicians, including the Rolling Stones. By fans, by the parents who knew how much the Beatles meant to their kids.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home