Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: John Lennon
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 9, 2014 02:21

Not to mention the added net effect of building a massive security wall between celebrities and fans.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 9, 2014 03:40

That murder still gets me angry after all these years, we definitely lost a good man and great musician/songwriter that day.

I still would rather remember him on a day other than when he was killed. It brings up pain and sorrow which I'm sure Lennon wouldn't want associated with his memory. But somehow humanity is drawn to the shock and awe of instances like these. I guess any reason to remember him is ok but it's sad that it has to be his death and the violent incident causing it. Especially as it is rarely referenced in the context of improving mental health issues or gun violence in America.

I wonder what day John would like to be remembered on? I can just imagine his answers....something to do with peace and love.

peace

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 01:00 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2014 04:25

Why We Still Mourn John Lennon
This worldwide icon is still on the minds of many, 34 years later
posted by Candy Leonard, December 8, 2014

> R.I.P. John Lennon

On Dec. 8, 1941, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt referred to Dec. 7 as “a date that will live in infamy.” But to millions born after World War II, Dec. 8 is the date that lives in infamy­ — that was the day, in 1980, that John Lennon was assassinated.

Baby boomers, myself included, continue to mourn this man they never met, a man who aspired only to play rock ‘n’ roll but who, between 1964 and 1970, unwittingly became the de facto leader of a worldwide youth movement. He inspired us to successfully challenge the stifling conformity and perceived hypocrisies of the Greatest Generation, and, to the ongoing dismay of social conservatives who “want their country back,” ushered in a new era.

When we met The Beatles — 79 days after the assassination of JFK — baby boomers of all ages saw immediately that these four androgynous young men represented a new New Frontier. Amused older observers dismissed The Beatles as a passing fad, but we were enthralled — not only by the band’s new sound and appearance, but by their casual rebelliousness, and promise of fun and freedom. Early Beatles factoids told us that John was the leader, and that always seemed true.

With I’m A Loser in the fall of ’64 and Help! the following summer, John showed us vulnerabilities beneath his cheeky exterior. We related to these pop confessionals and used them, along with other increasingly sophisticated lyrics, to make sense of our own lives.

For six years, The Beatles engaged millions of children and adolescents with a nonstop flow of sounds, images and ideas; a constant flow of new. Indeed, growing up with The Beatles was like following a dazzling alternative curriculum, more interesting and more relevant than what we were learning in school. And more empowering.

The Voice Of A Generation

Fans and critics alike began “close listening” in December ’65 with Rubber Soul, the album that elevated The Beatles from pop stars to artists. We had come to trust and rely on The Beatles as a source of something much more than entertainment, and those feelings deepened. On The Word, Lennon tells us he is the leader of the emerging counterculture and exhorts us to embrace love as a guiding principle in our lives — something he would do repeatedly over the years.

John challenged us again two months later with Nowhere Man, a political song with a call to action. The takeaway message was “pay attention,” “be engaged in the world” and “have opinions.” About one minute into the song, you can hear the mobilizing tone, a signal to millions of young people, increasingly frustrated by the hypocrisy of their elders. Three months after that, in Rain, Lennon presents us with the case for nonconformity and critical awareness as he points out the foolishness of how “they” behave.

By the summer of 1966 — after Lennon’s Jesus comment and Dylan’s motorcycle accident — the “voice of a generation” baton passed to The Beatles. They were now widely acknowledged, by young people and "the establishment,” as leaders of the counterculture. Lennon’s disdain for intellectuals, authorities and ideologues, combined with his intermittent self-loathing, made him uncomfortable in the role. But he was also an impassioned communicator with deeply held views, well aware of the power he wielded over a very large and very impatient generation. With Yoko’s support, he found purpose in his celebrity.

Blending Art And Activism

Lennon continued to challenge us with his unique blend of art and peace activism. And though many disliked Yoko, or didn’t appreciate the bed-ins and the War Is Over campaign, we watched and listened. And we knew John — outspoken, playful and authentic — was on our side. We were inspired by his willingness to speak up for what he believed, even when his ideas, methods and wife were ridiculed.

Our historically-unique relationship with The Beatles — made possible by the demographics, technology and the politics of the moment — still defies description: Not quite like older brothers or friends, not quite like dads or uncles and not quite like teachers or ministers. And definitely not like relationships with any pop stars before or since. And while Lennon wasn’t everyone’s favorite Beatle, he was the one who most often brought the “weirdness” that was so compelling.

Large In Life, Larger In Death

Our relationship with Lennon was new and modern, unlike any that existed before. And so our reaction to the loss, even after more than three decades, is a new, modern kind of grief — but no less real than what we’d feel for a dear friend or family member. We continue to miss his wit and his intellect. We’re sad for his wife and sons. We wonder what he’d think about the Internet, climate change, The Middle East and digital downloads.

Lennon was larger than life during his life, and has grown even larger in death. He remains a cherished figure to the global siblinghood of Beatle fans who grew up with him, as well as to younger admirers who bemoan the fact that they “never walked the planet at the same time as John Lennon.” Some deify him. Yes, he was just a guy who wanted to play rock ‘n’ roll, and he was by no means a perfect human being, but he’s become a worldwide symbol of humanity’s highest aspirations — and you know that can’t be bad.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 9, 2014 04:30

I grew up first being a Beatle fan before I got into the Stones. I, like many million other folks, loved John. I just thought that he was "cool" personified. I certainly did not know him, but through his music, I felt like I did. His music was a major part of the soundtrack of my life. When he died, it was like a cherished uncle had passed away. I was emotionally shaken for weeks. It was like a part of me had died as well. I still think about what could have been had he lived. Just a sad, sad tragedy. Rest in peace John. You were my idol...

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 9, 2014 04:50

You think the Stones make a lot money touring the Beatles would have put them to shame.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 9, 2014 05:33

black n blue
You think the Stones make a lot money touring the Beatles would have put them to shame.

You mean if they had never stopped touring and never broken up and never died? Hard to say. When you consider that they probably would have made their last good album in 1974, seeing the Beatles today might not be any big deal. We might even be wondering what all the fuss had been about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 05:34 by tatters.

Date: December 9, 2014 05:37

<<seeing the Beatles today might not be any big deal.>>

They would still be considered legends, just as the Stones and Who are, and they would draw the crowds and generate big money as a force in the arena.stadium concert industry.

But that's all academic because they could not have continued on past 2000 or so, considering that George Harrison died of cancer in 2001.

Date: December 9, 2014 05:54

We might even be wondering what all the fuss had been about.

lmfao. I think you are just trying to get a reaction, no? I don't think anyone can seriously doubt what the fuss was all about. eye popping smiley

peace

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 9, 2014 06:09

stonehearted
stanlove

If your innocence ended because a rock star died and it still bothers you to this day then you are a lucky person.

Lennon's death in 1980 didn't change anything about the Beatles..

Are you saying that if Lennon didn't die millions of people actually couldn't live without the followup to DF?

I can't stand fluff...

Every year when there is a Lennon remembrance thread, you always bust in with your heavy-handed tripe about how various posters take it too personally.

What is your frigging problem? If people want to take a day to remember a favorite artist who has passed, then just leave them to it. No one here needs to be psychoanalyzed or provoked by some high and mighty anonymous troll at a computer keyboard with an agenda of detached clinical superiority.

I already told you. I hate fluff..I like things to be presented the way they actually are and were not how worshippers want it to be..

Date: December 9, 2014 06:12

stonesrule
"Fluff?"

The SHOCK of his murder filled the world with tears. .

Just what I am talking about..For ever one person making a huge deal about his death at the time and going to parks and singing naïve songs, they were 10 people rolling their eyes at the silliness..Fact...I deal in facts..It hardly filled the world with tears..

Like I said it was sad that he was murdered, but it changed nothing except for the life of his family...Not sure why people feel the need to exaggerate the importance of it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 06:18 by stanlove.

Date: December 9, 2014 06:20

Best not to feed the trolls. They are only seeking to provoke a reaction. That is their agenda. Fluff, indeed. What a tosser. All attitude and no substance. Some people I just can't stan the thought of.

Date: December 9, 2014 06:36

stonehearted
Best not to feed the trolls. They are only seeking to provoke a reaction. That is their agenda. Fluff, indeed. What a tosser. All attitude and no substance. Some people I just can't stan the thought of.

This again is exactly what I am talking about.You either see it like them ( exaggeration and clichés ) or you are a troll...And a tosser ( do you Brits only have about 5 sayings ), what next you are just taking the piss.

You win. yes Lennon in 1980 was a very important word figure and when he died everything changed. The whole world was filled with grief and most people were barely able to continue. He was at the top of his game.

If he didn't tell us that he preferred Peace then there never would have been any Peace in the world because it wasn't like 99% of people in the world want peace, it was only Lennon and he spread it to the world.. Oh yeah thank goodness he shared every little aspect of his life with us constantly, I know some thought it was just the boring chatter of a narcissist but they were wrong, it was a great man honoring us by letting us into everything him and his wife did. That was very important..

I now wish I did sign the petition that people were trying to get people to sign right after his death that would have made his birthday a holiday. The 10 to 1 people who were laughing about that just didn't get it..

IS there anything I missed? Peace brothers..Carry on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 06:38 by stanlove.

Date: December 9, 2014 06:48

<<This again is exactly what I am talking about.>>

And this, again, stain, is exactly what I am talking about.

Okay, so you don't like Lennon, and you have problems with him as a person. Fine, we get that, because you hammer people's heads in every post with the same agenda-driven rhetoric.

But do you really think an In Memoriam thread is the proper decent place for your obvious agenda? Why don't you take your "facts versus fluff" argument over to the "Beatles vs. Stones" thread instead? This thread was started so that any number of people here can join in and share in the talents of a musician and songwriter that we admire and dearly miss--not so some self-righteous little twat could have his very own private midget spank bank!

So why don't you just go and crash a funeral or something? I'm sure there must be people's graves you want to go and piss on.

Date: December 9, 2014 07:09

stonehearted

Okay, so you don't like Lennon, and you have problems with him as a person. Fine, we get that, because you hammer people's heads in every post with the same agenda-driven rhetoric.

But do you really think an In Memoriam thread is the proper decent place for your obvious agenda? Why don't you take your "facts versus fluff" argument over to the "Beatles vs. Stones" thread instead? This thread was started so that any number of people here can join in and share in the talents of a musician and songwriter that we admire and dearly miss--not so some self-righteous little twat could have his very own private midget spank bank!

So why don't you just go and crash a funeral or something? I'm sure there must be people's graves you want to go and piss on.

I hardly think a message board online is like a funeral or a grave..

And as you may have noticed I haven't attacked anyone for being upset about the death of Lennon, I have disagreed with those who try to force on everyone how much of a world event and how important it was.. I am big on accuracy..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2014 08:31

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 9, 2014 10:38

poor John.Still the most awful event in rock's history

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: December 9, 2014 10:53

stanlove
stonesrule
"Fluff?"

The SHOCK of his murder filled the world with tears. .

Just what I am talking about..For ever one person making a huge deal about his death at the time and going to parks and singing naïve songs, they were 10 people rolling their eyes at the silliness..Fact...I deal in facts..It hardly filled the world with tears..

Like I said it was sad that he was murdered, but it changed nothing except for the life of his family...Not sure why people feel the need to exaggerate the importance of it..

Not sure why people feel the need to be so dismissive of it either.

John Lennon was a working class hero, and for many of his generation his senseless death was a brutal mid-life reminder of their own mortality. Kennedy's assassination had stolen their innocence, Lennon's assassination shattered their hopes.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 10:57 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 9, 2014 11:42

If you had the luck of the Irish...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 23:20 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2014 14:25

stanlove
stonehearted

This again is exactly what I am talking about.You either see it like them ( exaggeration and clichés ) or you are a troll...And a tosser ( do you Brits only have about 5 sayings ), what next you are just taking the piss.

You win. yes Lennon in 1980 was a very important word figure and when he died everything changed. The whole world was filled with grief and most people were barely able to continue. He was at the top of his game.

If he didn't tell us that he preferred Peace then there never would have been any Peace in the world because it wasn't like 99% of people in the world want peace, it was only Lennon and he spread it to the world.. Oh yeah thank goodness he shared every little aspect of his life with us constantly, I know some thought it was just the boring chatter of a narcissist but they were wrong, it was a great man honoring us by letting us into everything him and his wife did. That was very important..

I now wish I did sign the petition that people were trying to get people to sign right after his death that would have made his birthday a holiday. The 10 to 1 people who were laughing about that just didn't get it..

IS there anything I missed? Peace brothers..Carry on.

For a guy that claims to deal 'just in facts' you seem to have a proclivity to run fast an loose with them.

You seem to have absolutely no idea about what you are talking about...it's like you free associate and somehow think the first thing that enters your mind has to be the truth.

One last observation...what's the anger all about? The poor guy died 34 years ago...haven't you had a chance to release all that bottled up fury?

Maybe go for a walk?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2014 16:06

stanlove
The whole world was filled with grief and most people were barely able to continue.

Seriously?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 9, 2014 16:37

stanlove
stonehearted

And as you may have noticed I haven't attacked anyone for being upset about the death of Lennon, I have disagreed with those who try to force on everyone how much of a world event and how important it was.. I am big on accuracy..

It was a big event for a lot of people. For the vast majority of the world's population, I get that it was not. Most in, say, Mongolia, Nepal, Uganda probably couldn't care less. You are among the group for whom it was not a big event. For others, it was, like the JFK assassination was, and I am not comparing the men in the least, nor does the discussion have ANYTHING to do with what the world lost by not having what they would have done.

Because it is not something real to you (which is perfectly fine) you have a need to maintain that what is real to others is "fluff." You do not define fluff. And you really do not have a clue, as evidenced by your comment that people's loss had something to do with the music that he would have put out in the future, following up DF as you said. Clueless. Assuming you are sincere and not just someone who likes to be contrary which is what you sound like

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 02:57

stanlove,
yes this is an online blog, and not a funeral memorial. Yet, also good manners and graceful behavior should be something you carry throughout your life. And to come here on a post about the sadness for so many over the loss of Lennon and debate and generally act mean spirited says much more about your character than any point you may being trying to make about your opinions of Lennon and history. Why would you want that to be part of who you are? Why not just let the people posting on this thread express their sadness and condolences for an artist many people are missing?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 10, 2014 03:18

stonehearted

They would still be considered legends, just as the Stones and Who are, and they would draw the crowds and generate big money as a force in the arena.stadium concert industry.

I guess so. We know Macca is certainly capable of delivering a quality show. Sometimes when I'm at a Macca show, I'll actually close my eyes for a few moments, and pretend that it's the Beatles who are on stage. Thing is, the guys in Macca's band are better musicians than John, George and Ringo. For the four Beatles to sound that good, they would have needed a lot of help. Nothing that 10 guys playing under the stage couldn't have handled grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 03:20 by tatters.

Date: December 10, 2014 03:46

tatters
stonehearted

I guess so. We know Macca is certainly capable of delivering a quality show. Sometimes when I'm at a Macca show, I'll actually close my eyes for a few moments, and pretend that it's the Beatles who are on stage. Thing is, the guys in Macca's band are better musicians than John, George and Ringo. For the four Beatles to sound that good, they would have needed a lot of help. Nothing that 10 guys playing under the stage couldn't have handled grinning smiley

Maybe so, but the best musicians in the world can't always produce the best sounding and most entertaining band. So many other factors make up the best sound and show, the Stones are a perfect example of that. When the Beatles played on the rooftop of Apple HQ, I think they sounded great and were more entertaining than when I saw Macca this summer.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 09:07 by Naturalust.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 10, 2014 04:20

Naturalust
tatters
stonehearted

Maybe so, but the best musicians in the world can't always produce the best sounding and most entertaining band. So many other factors make up the best sound and show, the Stones are a perfect example of that. When the Beatles played on the rooftop of Abbey Road studios, I think they sounded great and were more entertaining than when I saw Macca this summer.

peace
No way Mac's musicians are better than their counterparts in the Fab 4. More consistent perhaps but The Four Headed Monster was a mean machine. With Bill Preston the rooftop results are pretty tough to beat. Paul's band has some good results but often I find the guitarists pitchy and rushed. His drummer is an amazing arena player on par with Joe English and Mick Fleetwood, he makes the songs his own but still tips his hat to The Mersey Beat. Abe Laboriel Jr. is also a fine backup singer he is everything a fan could expect from a sideman in a supergroup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 04:22 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 10, 2014 05:17

On a related note. Frank Zappa passed away 21 years ago last Thursday.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:50 by camper88.

Date: December 10, 2014 09:06

camper88
Naturalust
When the Beatles played on the rooftop of Abbey Road studios, I think they sounded great . . .

peace

I'd never heard the rooftop concert from Abbey Road, just the one from Apple.

That would be great to hear. winking smiley

Oops, yeah I always get Apple Corps and Abbey Road mixed up. Too little time spent in London, too much time spent in Hawaii....thanks for the correction. n

peace

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 21:16

That idiot won't get the luxury of killing himself...I was kind of rooting for those idiots from Isis giving us a beheading that we can all get behind!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 11, 2014 06:05

stanlove
stonehearted

... and yet you are not accurate.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home