Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: References to the Stones in fictional TV programs or films
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 23, 2012 18:43

still ill

Plus of course the Simpsons episode but i guess that's too obvious

Speaking of the Simpsons...

And of course in the Sopranos: "Exile On Main St. Janice!"

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 25, 2012 10:11

colonial
colonial
(Series1)..Wayne in the British comedy Auf Wiedersehen Pet..who fancied himself as a Ronnie Wood lookalike once said something along the lines of

"People say I look like Ronnie Wood outta The Rolling Stones"

Auf Wiedersehen Pet (Series3)

Oz.. "Thought she might of been a Stones fan with a name like Wyman"..
Wyman.. "ya hardly idolize a Bass player would ya"..

Auf Wiederersehen Pet (Series3)

Oz..There's no way ya can tell what I like to listen to
Wyman..Early Stones,The Clash,Clapton and a sprinkling of C and W
Oz.."Your Dad shagged more women than Mick Jagger"

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 25, 2012 10:33

KSIE
Elmo Lewis
Yeah, EG, "Streets Of Love" was used in a daytime saop. 90210 was back during the Voodoo Lounge tour.

I hate to admit to knowing both of these, but the daytime show was "Days of our Lives"

The BH90210 episode was VL Tour at the Pasadena Rose Bowl. Could have been some clever editing, but it looked like the actors were at the actual show.

Yes, they were there. I saw Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth backstage. Tried to hit on the latter - major fail. The former signed the back of my ticket, and was repulsed after I told her that the disposable Stones tongue tattoo on my forehead was real.

Other references: in "Doogie Howser," he was supposed to see the Steel Wheels show in LA, but was tied up at the hospital so missed it. His pal Vinny was pissed off. Finally I could feel superior to the child genius.

Also: the cheesy blaxploitation film "Blacula" (excuse my vagueness) -- Cop quotes "all the cops are criminals, all the sinners saints" line. Other guy incorrectly wonders if it was said by some other character. No, the first guy says, "Mick Jagger."

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 25, 2012 11:33

In the show Blossom, her Dad was a musician, piano I think, and they had parts of the show that referred to the character having played with the Stones. There was one episode where they had a scene where Mick calls to get him to play but the kid doesn't think it's really Mick Jagger....seems how it went. Been awhile now!!!

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 25, 2012 21:13

stonesncrowes
There was an episode in the last season of the TV show The Wonder Years that was titled "Ladies and Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones". The entire episode revolves around a rumor that the Stones are playing at some dive bar and the kids spend the entire night driving from place to place trying to find them. Since The Wonder Years takes place in the 60's there's a few other Stones references strewn about throughout the years.
the series was repeated in britain a few years ago
great episode , fantastic . that episode is set in 73 which caused some arguments here cause of the 72 americantour but it is the episode after the new years eve one (when kevin is delivering chinese food)and therefore in january , spot on for them to be around and rehearsing for the benefit show and hawai .
the wonder years . . anyone that grew up in the seventies surely must relate to it ? i love it! imagine being so close meeting the stones in the seventies.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 25, 2012 22:43

2 Seinfeld references.

The Sponge (Season 7) - Jerry's girlfriend works in a soup kitchen. She says at dinner, "Guess who I worked with last week?" George replies, "Mick Jagger!" No, the answer was Maya Angelou.

The Old Man (Season 4) - Sid Fields, the 87-year-old man whom Jerry volunteers to look after has Emotional Rescue in his record collection. It's not mentioned, just a prop. Seen for a few seconds in the taxi. Took a screenshot with my iPhone but don't know how to post.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 25, 2012 22:59

stonesncrowes

The movie Almost Famous has a few Stones references including one in a deleted scene that explains that Penny Lane began her life as a Band Aid after Keith pulled her on stage during Midnight Rambler and she never looked back.

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. If I can remember anymore I'll make sure to post them.
My favorite rock movie...and I almost fell off of the couch when I saw this scene. I'd watched the movie several times before but I received the "bootleg" version for Christmas. I couldn't believe that scene....Penny Lane says, "They gave me Coca-cola with lemon in it - there was no looking back after that."

There's also a scene in Almost Famous, where Jimmy Fallon, who plays Stillwater's new manager, Dennis Hope, says "If you think Mick Jagger will still be out there trying to be a rockstar at age 50, then you are sadly mistaken."
YEAH. Rock on! smoking smiley

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 25, 2012 23:05

There's an episode of Family Guy where Death pays a visit to Peter Frampton (not to kill him, just to use him to help Peter).

When Frampton sees death creeping up on him, he says

"SHOULDN'T YOU BE AT KEITH RICHARDS HOUSE???"

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 25, 2012 23:07

At the end of an episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, he says something like this in the closing monologue...

You have to learn to tame your beast, otherwise you're no better than Bill Wyman.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 25, 2012 23:27

colonial
Im sure The Stones have being mentioned in Coronation Street a few times

Hi, colonial. Do you remember the poster of Mick on the wall of Mike Baldwin's knicker factory? That was in the days when when Vera Duckworth worked for him.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: March 26, 2012 00:49

The movie 'When Harry Met Sally' - Harry refers to Mick when Sally draws lips during a game of Pictionary

Also the English 90's Sitcom 'Men Behaving Badly' the chracter Dorothy compares going out with her boyfriend Gary to going out with Bill Wyman!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 27, 2012 00:56

They've been referenced to a ton of times on tv or in the movies. Some off the top of my head;

TV;

Rescue Me
Monk
The Flinstones
The New Adventures Of Old Christine
Seinfeld

Movies;

The Hollywood Knights
Must Love Dogs
Author Author
Mrs. Doubtfire
An Officer And A Gentleman

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:41

colonial
colonial
colonial
(Series1)..Wayne in the British comedy Auf Wiedersehen Pet..who fancied himself as a Ronnie Wood lookalike once said something along the lines of

"People say I look like Ronnie Wood outta The Rolling Stones"

Auf Wiedersehen Pet (Series3)

Oz.. "Thought she might of been a Stones fan with a name like Wyman"..
Wyman.. "ya hardly idolize a Bass player would ya"..

Auf Wiederersehen Pet (Series3)

Oz..There's no way ya can tell what I like to listen to
Wyman..Early Stones,The Clash,Clapton and a sprinkling of C and W
Oz.."Your Dad shagged more women than Mick Jagger"

Wayne who fancied himself as a Ronnie Wood lookalike is sitting in the wheelbarrow.Gary Holton (Wayne) who was also a musican was a good friend with Ronnie.

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:25

The British television series from the 80s The Young Ones had an episode [Boring; 1984] where The Stones are mentioned [clip 1 of 3, at 5:50].

"....next door, The Rolling Stones are making a new album while two hippopotamus make love underneath the piano...."

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: March 21, 2013 03:25

British TV shows have referred to the stones numerous times over the years. Examples~

the Thick of it-great BBC political satire-has a character referring to an idea "doing a Brian Jones" (meaning being dead in the water)

In an early episode of the fabulous "Rumpole of the Bailey" the accused's defence was that he was at a Rolling Stones concert when the crime was supposed to have occurred

The Dennis Watermann character in "New Tricks" reminisces in one episode about a Stones concert he saw in his youth and talks about "poor old Brian"

In an episode of "The Good Life" the snooty one refers to "that pop person Jack Jagger"

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: March 21, 2013 03:38

tumblingdice
In the show Blossom, her Dad was a musician, piano I think, and they had parts of the show that referred to the character having played with the Stones. There was one episode where they had a scene where Mick calls to get him to play but the kid doesn't think it's really Mick Jagger....seems how it went. Been awhile now!!!

There also was an episode of "Blossom" where the family was talking about the aftermath of a nuclear war and someone said "all that will be left after it will be cockroaches". The son then says "Someone seriously underestimated Keith Richards".

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 21, 2013 06:12

ozziestone
British TV shows have referred to the stones numerous times over the years. Examples~

the Thick of it-great BBC political satire-has a character referring to an idea "doing a Brian Jones" (meaning being dead in the water)

In an early episode of the fabulous "Rumpole of the Bailey" the accused's defence was that he was at a Rolling Stones concert when the crime was supposed to have occurred

The Dennis Watermann character in "New Tricks" reminisces in one episode about a Stones concert he saw in his youth and talks about "poor old Brian"

In an episode of "The Good Life" the snooty one refers to "that pop person Jack Jagger"

The Good Life is also referenced in The Young Ones:

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 21, 2013 17:31

The Young One's--what a great show!
Isn't "Boring" the episode with the little demons named "Orgo" and "Fetumch"?!

I dont think anyone has mentioned Mad Men yet, they had an episode backstage at a Stones show trying track down Allen Klein to sign them on to do a commercial.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 21, 2013 20:18

My fave show has many references. It's called Californication.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:23

There is an episode of the 1970's (1971?) TV series 'Budgie' starring Adam Faith, that plays Brown Sugar as the background music in practically every scene.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:30

Twice on Married....With Children

1-a young Al tells his dad he has to see the Stones because its probably their last tour (1972), and Bundy Sr. refers to the Stones as "as bunch of limeys"

2-Al and Jefferson are watching tv. Suddenly Al sez, "Look! Its the Barnaby Jones reunion show!!", to which Bud Bundy informs them that it's really the Rolling Stones new video and the guy they think is Buddy Ebsen is really Keith Richards!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:36

I blame Johnny Bravo.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:22

All In the Family - Edith mentions something about oh no when the Rollinn Stones came on Archine mooned the TV or something like that.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:40

Wayne's World 2

Date: March 22, 2013 10:22

Isn't that the guy out of Withnail & I ? Same voice

Date: March 22, 2013 12:23

ozziestone
Isn't that the guy out of Withnail & I ? Same voice

I've never seen it, but I looked on Ralph Brown's Wikipedia page, and yes he was in that. He was also in Star Wars Ep. 1, The Boat That Rocked (aka Pirate Radio here in the U.S.), Alien 3 and a bunch of other stuff.

Date: March 22, 2013 13:52

You should see it then-it's a classic. That guy (Ralph Brown) has a fairly minor role right at the end but he shines in it. Similar character to the Wayne's World role actually.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: March 22, 2013 15:01

"All in the Family"

Gloria has a bunch of albums in her hand (I think it was either sticky or let it bleed) and she says to her dad. "Were going to listen to records over "susies"house" and her dad says something about the music today being subpar. What kind of music are you listening to? She says "The Rolling Stones" and her dad says "I know all about those Grave Diggers"

Date: March 22, 2013 23:52

ozziestone
You should see it then-it's a classic. That guy (Ralph Brown) has a fairly minor role right at the end but he shines in it. Similar character to the Wayne's World role actually.

I'll check it out, they have it streaming on Netflix.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 23, 2013 01:45

NoCode0680
ozziestone

I'll check it out, they have it streaming on Netflix.
Withnail is one of my very favorite flix...enjoy! smoking smiley
Another Stones reference was in "The Art of Getting By"...the kid says, yeah I guess someday I'll understand why my mother likes the Stones...Mmm - sounds too familiar.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home