Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The Fate Of The Rolling Stones Likely To be Decided In Next 12 Months
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:20

Rocky Dijon
I promise to do my best to not let this thread die even if I have to invoke one of the Forbidden Words to do it.

Watchman, in case you don't know, there are several Forbidden Words that are guaranteed to prolong any thread for pages and pages.

Some, but not all of these words are...

Vibrato

Royalties

Murder

Twinkies

McLean

You are now armed and dangerous on IORR. Let all fear your tread.

Can we add "weaving" to the list?

And "twinkies"? confused smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:27

Weaving is one of the Forbidden Words.

I'm afraid Twinkies (the snack cake) has earned a place on the list.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:30

71Tele
Rocky Dijon
I promise to do my best to not let this thread die even if I have to invoke one of the Forbidden Words to do it.

Watchman, in case you don't know, there are several Forbidden Words that are guaranteed to prolong any thread for pages and pages.

Some, but not all of these words are...

Vibrato

Royalties

Murder

Twinkies

McLean

You are now armed and dangerous on IORR. Let all fear your tread.

Can we add "weaving" to the list?

And "twinkies"? confused smiley

This forum is at it's best when it's subscribers practice the ancient art of weaving! Nothing like a bunch of Stones fanatics weaving a little truth now and again! Keith would be proud.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:39

Rocky Dijon

For clarification purposes, is it only Twinkies that are banned or are Ho-Ho's and Ding Dong's guilty as well due to the Hostess Connection? Also, is it permissible to use "Twinkies" in a non-snack cake reference as in "Oh Twinkies" as a substitute for "Oh S**t"? Also, a little history behind the banning would be nice. After all, aren't Twinkies, Cockroaches & Keith supposedly the only things that will survive the end of the world?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:46

mr_dja
Rocky Dijon

For clarification purposes, is it only Twinkies that are banned or are Ho-Ho's and Ding Dong's guilty as well due to the Hostess Connection? Also, is it permissible to use "Twinkies" in a non-snack cake reference as in "Oh Twinkies" as a substitute for "Oh S**t"? Also, a little history behind the banning would be nice. After all, aren't Twinkies, Cockroaches & Keith supposedly the only things that will survive the end of the world?

There is a whole other meaning to "Twinkies" but this is a family-friendly site - or so I'm told.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:48

We all love trying to read the tea leaves. Just admit it.

Yes, I'd be surprised if they let next year pass. I'd also be surprised if they bill as the 50th.

But their 'fate' is up to them. All we can do is watch and stir the tea.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 12, 2011 23:56

AngieBlue
All we can do is watch and stir the tea.

could i have a single-malt, please?

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 13, 2011 01:23

StonesTod
AngieBlue
All we can do is watch and stir the tea.

could i have a single-malt, please?

Sure.

Date: April 13, 2011 02:20

mr_dja
[For clarification purposes, is it only Twinkies that are banned or are Ho-Ho's and Ding Dong's guilty as well due to the Hostess Connection? Also, is it permissible to use "Twinkies" in a non-snack cake reference as in "Oh Twinkies" as a substitute for "Oh S**t"? Also, a little history behind the banning would be nice. After all, aren't Twinkies, Cockroaches & Keith supposedly the only things that will survive the end of the world?

All snack foods are off limits in conjunction with Mick Taylor by Order of Special Edict 196974.

Date: April 13, 2011 02:22

71Tele
[There is a whole other meaning to "Twinkies" but this is a family-friendly site - or so I'm told.

I thought that was just "Twinks" but I may have been misinformed.

I'll ask StonesTod.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: April 13, 2011 14:58

StonesTod
they don't do anniversary tours...and i agree with tele - the calendar won't dictate squat

Once again StonesTod is the idiot he always is. The Licks tour was a 40 year anniversary tour. The compilation that came out, that they toured to support, was 40 Licks. It was 40 because it was 40 years.

Throughout that tour all members of the band remarked on the 40 year mark. The DVD that came out was 4 Flicks, a reference to 40 licks.

So, let's see...they put a greatest hits package out in honor of their 40th and then they tour in support of that 40th anniversary CD...noooo...it wasn't an anniverary tour.

Date: April 13, 2011 15:18

Idiot is an awfully strong word. Please reconsider something more charming like hooligan or scallawag.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 13, 2011 16:06

Twenty Eleven

The Year Of Jibberish

A Prattling Way To Kick Off The Second Decade Of The Twenty Hundreds

Date: April 13, 2011 17:08

It's Gibberish. I'd call you an idiot for making a simple mistake, but it's already been done.

Date: April 13, 2011 17:23

sladog
StonesTod
they don't do anniversary tours...and i agree with tele - the calendar won't dictate squat

Once again StonesTod is the idiot he always is. The Licks tour was a 40 year anniversary tour. The compilation that came out, that they toured to support, was 40 Licks. It was 40 because it was 40 years.

Throughout that tour all members of the band remarked on the 40 year mark. The DVD that came out was 4 Flicks, a reference to 40 licks.

So, let's see...they put a greatest hits package out in honor of their 40th and then they tour in support of that 40th anniversary CD...noooo...it wasn't an anniverary tour.

thanks for your understanding, support and thoughtfulness. we idiots need to stick together, right?

Date: April 13, 2011 17:24

Oops, sorry, Skipstone, that was StonesTod who took the abuse. Doesn't matter, I enjoy following both of your posts.

Date: April 13, 2011 17:25

Rocky Dijon
Idiot is an awfully strong word. Please reconsider something more charming like hooligan or scallawag.

i like idiot. feels right. sounds right. and idiots like me aren't sharp enough to know those other big words, but i'm sure they're good too.

Date: April 13, 2011 17:37

What about "lovable rogue?"

Date: April 13, 2011 17:50

Rocky Dijon
What about "lovable rogue?"

for me and sladog? he'd be more lovable if he came back here more often than in 8-month intervals. but i'll take anything with lovable in it. rogue...pogue...or anything that might be in vogue....

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 13, 2011 17:51

I also think they're much more likely to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their first release rather than their formation.

Date: April 13, 2011 18:02

Upon further reflection, StonesTod, I believe "upstart" suits you better. It is, after all, the word that started the Freedonian War.

Date: April 14, 2011 16:11

Rocky Dijon
It's Gibberish. I'd call you an idiot for making a simple mistake, but it's already been done.

Actually, it's either/both.

Date: April 14, 2011 16:12

That was still funny though, even if it wasn't meant for me!

Date: April 14, 2011 16:49

Jibberish is acceptable? Oh no, I guess we know what that makes me. Ah well, at least I'm in good company.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: April 29, 2011 13:48

I do find it funny you spend more time on the word "idiot" then on the fact that I, and others, are right and Stonestod is wrong. It WAS a 40th anniversary tour on 2002-2003. The Stones DO do anniversary tours.

Date: April 29, 2011 16:58

I never disagreed with you sladog (I always want to spell your name "sleigh dog" whenever I read it). I know it was a 40th anniversary and that they promoted it as such. It was the first anniversary they marked. When VOODOO LOUNGE was released on July 12, 1994 they were asked at the tour press conference if there was a significance to the album being released on the anniversary of their first show. Mick seemed genuinely puzzled as if he didn't actually know the date had any significance to fans. Since LICKS, anniversaries are now part of the promotion. YA-YA'S Deluxe Edition and AT THE MAX were promoted as anniversary reissues in 2009. It's now how they market themselves to an aging fan base aware of their history. Before LICKS, they tried to always live in the present. Now they embrace the past and do archival releases and everything else. I don't need convincing, seriously.

StonesTod on the other hand is just a barrel of laughs and I enjoy his posts. Much of my interaction with him is not exactly relevant to anything other than having a laugh. I try not to take anything here too seriously any more. It really is Only Rock 'n' Roll.

Date: April 29, 2011 17:20

That is funny Rocky - I never put the two together, their first show and the release date of VOODOO LOUNGE.

Like that shit matters. Some people - the kind of people who insist on something having a number with it or some kind of anniversary with it - are just odd like that. It would be one thing for the Stones to come out and say "Hey, we're going to play all of STICKY FINGERS this year since it's been out for forty years on" such and such date. That's acknowledging the significance of that album. But for the Stones/Promotone/UMe to release every goddamn commemorative reissue because of 20, 30, 40 etc years...is just stupid. What significance does the anniversary have? Nothing - except some number. UMe's reissue of EXILE had nothing to do with whatever anniversary of the LP - it was simply because 1. it hadn't been reissued yet with the rest of the catalogue and 2. because of the extra record it was a bigger deal. For the first time ever some actual extra music from the Stones. Damn right I'm gonna buy that! And for all I can figure it's probably the best selling UMe Stones reissue because almost nobody knew about the rest of the catalogue and EXILE got a huge push.

Of course, I still think the Virgin reissue was just fine but what do I know.

I looked up jibberish and on...some site, something to do with slang, it had it with a J and with a G. I found that elsewhere as well.

I always thought it was with a J - I never knew about it being spelled with a G. In line of jibber jabber... but not like Jig-saw Puzzle, which is Jigsaw Puzzle...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 29, 2011 17:41

sladog
Stonestod is wrong. It WAS a 40th anniversary tour on 2002-2003. The Stones DO do anniversary tours.

Technically, you're wrong; they don't do anniversary tourS, they've done just one. And it's StonesTod, not Stonestod. And StonesTod wasn't wrong, having used the plural. But even if he had used the word "tour", due to the years of good-natured quips he serves up here, we would refer to that post as "somewhat incorrect" or "unintentionally mistaken" instead of "wrong"; not to save him from a bruised ego or hurt feelings (after all, he's fine with calling himself an idiot), but so as not to disrupt his humour muse, who might go rogue on him and take down the entire internet and all of civilization with it. winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 29, 2011 17:46

I heard from the very reliable souce that they will celebrate the 50th Anniversary by relaesing a new collection celebrating the famous, profilic and very succesful latter half of their career (from 1987 on). It is called

YOU GOT ME ROCKING: BEST OF THE LEGENDARY VEGAS YEARS

Here is the track list:

1. You Got Me Rocking
2. Mixed Emotions
3. Saint of Me
4. Out of Tears
5. Like A Rolling Stone (live)
6. Highwire
7. Biggest Mistake
8. Love Is Strong
9. Anybody Seen My Baby?
10. Rough Justice
11. Almost Hear You Sigh
12. Streets of Love
13. Out of Control (live)
14. Rock and A Hard Place
15. Don’t Stop
16. How Can I Stop?

Then they will announce YOU GOT ME ROCKING world tour to tour behind the collection.
grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 29, 2011 17:47

The Licks Tour was not a 40th anniversary tour, it was the Licks Tour. ABKCO/Virgin teamed up and the Stones decided, for whatever dumb reason, to record 20 some tracks and picked 4 tracks, out of which 2 were really lame awful bad tracks, to include them with the hits comp to show they were still "a working band that is moving forward".

Too bad it was in a bad direction.

The album was some celebration of 40 years - unfortunately it did not actually have 40 licks on it because 4 of them replaced much better songs that they could have put on it.

So really, if you want to get down to it, it was 36 Licks.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home