Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, Fats Domino and Johnny Cash Birthdays today
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 26, 2012 14:49

Fats Domino 84 and Cash'd be 80!!

All the best!!
Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: OT, Fats Domino and Johnny Cash Birthdays today
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 26, 2012 15:13

I love JC!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 26, 2012 15:26

If not mistaken, Didn't JC spend some time behind bars himself? I guess that is why prison appearance has more punch. Was it a DUI? - Simply don't recall.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 18:15

What a pitty JC is not here anymore.

I "discovered" him for myself about 2 years ago and I can't get enough of him. I like the classical old stuff, obviously, but what I play most are the American Recordings, When The Man Comes Around being my favourite album, one of the best albums ever, in my opinion. It is really amazing what a great stuff he came up with in his late years. The parallel with the late Bob Dylan comes to mind, but I have to addmit, that I like the late JC even better. There has been a discussion about Rick Rubin here recently. I don't know much about him and from the discussion here I got the feeling, that not much possitive can be said about him nowadays, but what he did for and with Johnny Cash is amazing and rare.

Anyway, happy birthday Johnny, I hope you're having a ball, wherever you are. And of coure happy Birthday to Fats Domino!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 18:19 by Happy24.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 26, 2012 20:08

Johnny spent the odd night in jail from 1959 - 1967.

In 1959 it was for being drunk and disorderly.
In 1965 it was for trying to smuggle amphetamines across the border from Mexico.
In 1966 it was for drunk and disorderly, and picking flowers in Starkville.
In 1967 he was arrested by Sheriff Ralph Jones, who confiscated his pills, and then let him out the next day, telling him to go and kill himself, giving him back his pills.

Johnny also came close to being arrested on his way over to Britain in 1995. According to Nicholas Davidoff's In The Country of Country, he locked himself in the first class toilet of a BA flight, guzzling pills. He stayed locked in the loo for the whole duration of the flight, and talked the air staff into not calling the police.

Johnny Cash's albums vary in quality: he has released some excellent albums, such as the American Recordings series, but he has also released his share of stinkers. The stinkers mainly rear their heads in the 70s and 80s, with such awful material as The Junkie, The Juicehead minus Me, The Rambler, Adventures of Johnny Cash, Rainbow, Classic Cash, Water From The Wells of Home.

The good Johnny Cash albums include his Sun material, 1959's Fabulous, Songs of The Soil, Ride This Train, Blood,Sweat, & Tears, Bitter Tears, Ballads of The True West, Carrying On with June Carter, At Folsom, At San Quentin, Hello I'm Johnny Cash, Man In Black, Pa Osteraker, and the Johnny Cash television show soundtracks.

The Class of 55 album is awful: the best track on that is not even by Cash, but rather Jerry Lee Lewis' Sixteen Candles. The Highwayman first album and Road Goes On Forever are the best of Cash's work with Willie, Waylon, and Kris. Their second album is no great shakes in my opinion.

Date: February 26, 2012 20:15

tomcasagranda
he next day, telling him to go and kill himself, giving him back his pills.

Johnny also came close to being arrested on his way over to Britain in 1995. According to Nicholas Davidoff's In The Country of Country, he locked himself in the first class toilet of a BA flight, guzzling pills. He stayed locked in the loo for the whole duration of the flight, and talked the air staff into not calling the police.

Interesting.. had not heard this.. but it aligns with what I've always thought: Johnny Cash never was able to give up drugs.. there is a common perception that he did. . fed in part by I god awful movie... but I think he was pretty much always taking stuff.. I'm sure there were breaks though.. I think that might explain also why his appearance suffered so much.. he aged unbelievably the last decade of his life. I think things caught up with him..

My proudest concertgoing experience is having gone to see him in a small club here in DC in either 95 or 96... I was a big fan of American Recordings at the time but didn't really know all that much about him.. I mean I knew some stuff... but not much... I can't remember much about the show either than Mick Fleetwood was there, the show was family revue style, and at one point there was a big screen behind him playing footage of trains and I think he sang Orange BLossom Special.. These days if you go to a show everyone takes pictures and videos but I have not seen one picture or video of that show!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:31

Johnny Cash didn't give up drugs in 1967/68.

He was wired up when he did the Folsom live album. He relapsed in 1969 at Long Binh, Vietnam, though he claimed to have pneumonia. He was clean at San Quentin, though.

After the birth of John Carter-Cash, he quit until 1976. Then he started using again, though he told Marshall Grant he was going through the change in life.

The worst thing was that, during the period that he re-commenced using, his creativity was at an all-time low. His album sales dropped, and, publicly, he re-dedicated himself to God with several gospel albums, such as A Believer Sings the Truth, and Believe In Him, yet he wasn't all that spiritual.

Then, there was the escapade with the ostrich, Waldo, who tore his insides with its claws. Johnny then started guzzling painkillers on top of amphetamines in 1981.

Then, in 1988, he had open heart surgery and a bypass. I think he went through phases of being clean, of not being clean, and causing no amount of grief to his family. Certainly, John Carter, in his book Anchored In Love, said that Johnny Cash continued to use, even as far as after American Recordings and Unchained.

The thing is the late period drug use certainly did his health no favours at all. The early period from 1957-1968 ran concurrently with a great period of creativity, with the end of his Sun recordings, the amazing concept albums of the 60s, and wonderful singles such as Ring of Fire, Forty Shades of Green, I Got Stripes, Don't Take Your Guns to Town, Orange Blossom Special, It Ain't Me Babe, and The Ballad of Ira Hayes.

I never saw Cash live, as I missed him at Glastonbury in 1994. I was at Glastonbury, but was narcotically enhanced, and passed out, missing the gig. It's been a great regret in my life: that, and declining a free ticket for Miles Davis in Cardiff in 1991.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: February 27, 2012 00:01

It's also my daughter's birthday. RIP Alicia Eve 1989-1990

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 27, 2012 00:05

Brue
It's also my daughter's birthday. RIP Alicia Eve 1989-1990

You have my deepest sympathy, Brue.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 27, 2012 00:14

Brue all the best you and family!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home