Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Would an "Unplugged" album be a realistic option now for them?
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 10, 2014 04:36

Hi all

As most here will recall the "unplugged" thing was all the rage in the first part of the 90s. The Stones obviously never did one. I know they gave us "Stripped" but it is quite different.

Just thinking from a money spinning exercise for them once they're off the road this time doing an unplugged show/cd/DVD would probably be a commercially sensible thing to do.

To begin with it's one (or two if they wish) show. No new material is needed. No need to spend four months making an album, then two years touring behind it.

They could pull out and dust off many gems. Using Clapton's as a working template they could grab and rework as they've done so many times live anyway one of their classics and try to push it as a radio friendly thing that could really pave the way for the album to become a heavy seller. "Layla" for example re Clapton and Rod brought in a new cover he'd not done before with "Have I told you lately" and both had enormous success with the respective album/video and single.

The Stones could really go out on a limb here: Winter; COTM; TWFN and do purely acoustic reworking a of their heavier numbers. I think if they did Ruby Tuesday as the song to concentrate on as a single it could really sell. This would be done I'm assuming as a one off deal with Sony or whoever who would be responsible for getting this into high rotation on radio and TV (in the US at least - and let's face it if it becomes a smash in the US the rest of us will probably follow suit - especially if it picks up a couple of Grammies).

Al of them sitting including Mick. Darryl perhaps with an upright. Plus they'd be paid millions to do one or two shows only so it's not like there's no benefit in it for them.

It could also give them so long awaited chart success due to releasing nothing new for almost a decade and introduce them to a younger generation that would ordinarily overlook them.

I realise all of what I say would no go to how I plan it but I think it would be a pretty solid idea for them to get involved in.

Different to Shine a Light - which let's face it was just them on stage with a cameo for Scorsese to look stupid in (Where's the set?? Is Ron gonna open or is Keith gonna open?? Stress stress) - no probs Martin it's not like Keith hasn't opened every show since 1964 or something but make a pointless slaps for the cameras....)

Anyways. Just a thought. And it's nice to dream smoking smiley

Re: Would an "Unplugged" album be a realistic option now for them?
Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 10, 2014 05:15

No

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 10, 2014 05:43

It was a realistic option for them in the mid-nineties, and they called it Stripped.

Date: July 10, 2014 06:01

I was wondering the same thing earlier today, but you beat me to the punch! I think 'Stripped' is okay, but I'd like acoustic versions of the electric rockers, like HTW, CYHMK? (maybe the first 3 minutes?), etc...

I think it's out of the question, though. As far as the Stones are concerned, they already did an Unplugged session (technically, they did, but...).

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 10, 2014 06:41

Stripped was it. And with the companion, was pretty good. It's been done.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 10, 2014 09:19

Not now. There's no reason to see them at 70 really do it unplugged. Its a cool step in a band's career, but not your last step, and the problem is anything they do nowadays could be their last. Best stick with what they are already known for and go out with it strong.

Stripped is as close as you get, but I do think something either in the 80s or 90s would have been cool. Like a real unplugged like Neil Young's or Rod Stewart's, etc. I don't think they'd actually have the chops now, at least Keith, to make it sound really good acoustically. I also think Mick's vocals a few decades ago would have been really cool for unplugged. Not youthful but also matured without being too old.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:01

Doing an "unplugged" concept doesn't really make sense with the Stones. They've always done a lot of acoustic stuff, ever since they wrote Tell Me and As Tears Go By. It's an integral part of the band, and I think it would be a little silly (over simplistic, perhaps) to label a whole concert or album as "unplugged".

They did the unplugged trend really well with Stripped -- staying true to their style and not even using the word "unplugged".

That said, I have a bootleg called Unplugged, with (semi)acoustic stuff from the '68-73 period and it's lovely.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:18

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
acoustic versions of the electric rockers, like CYHMK

confused smiley That riff works on an electric guitar only.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:39

No!

'Unplugged' and Symphonic back up-shit is over...and out for good...thanks God!

..but it's fully OK with a cover-album made in a box....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:56

dcba
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
acoustic versions of the electric rockers, like CYHMK

confused smiley That riff works on an electric guitar only.

No, it doesn't. [Abbie Cardwell - CYHMK]

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:26

"Stripped" is not an "Unplugged" concert in my opinion but to each their own. It was recorded in a studio without an audience and the remaining were just songs from a cpl theatre shows they did. And Companion was never released so doesn't come into what I'm talking about which is to somehow get them back on the charts with a record that's not a comp or another standard live cd.

As for a backwards step in their career I agree to an extent but I mean all they do is tour behind songs more than 30 years old for the most part. Their career really has no way of going backwards from here given they've done nothing new for a decade and are just really a greatest hits touring package. Be nice to see them do something like this if they can't be flagged recording another album (and who can blame them?)

One point I had failed to consider is Keith's ability to play these tracks nowadays as RollingFreak pointed out.

If I understood what you were talking about Come On I'd respond. Are you saying you'd like them to do a cover album?

Perhaps ABB is their swan song then. Anyways as I said was just a thought.

I would love to hear CYHMK all acoustic though. It's certainly possible and would sound awesome if they could pull it off.

Date: July 10, 2014 12:31

RoughJusticeOnYa
dcba

That riff works on an electric guitar only.

No, it doesn't. [Abbie Cardwell - CYHMK]

If you wanna emasculate the Stones's legacy, well anything's do-able smoking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 10, 2014 13:36

NO !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 10, 2014 13:55

Blues album. Pay tribute to the ones that influenced you on your way out.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 10, 2014 14:02

OzHeavyThrobber

If I understood what you were talking about Come On I'd respond. Are you saying you'd like them to do a cover album?

Yup, the way Neil Young made his latest 'A Letter Home', with an 'older' sound...that would be something, and blues-classics...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 10, 2014 14:53

I don't see any obstacles for them to record an acoustic rhythm and blues album. In fact, it would be awesome thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 10, 2014 15:38

No Its all been done

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:00

I remember thinking it felt like an odd choice back in 95 to do Stripped. It has some cool tracks on it but also felt too 'early'. As in, they were doing a massive very popular global tour. On an international pop stage, they were at the top of their form. They are still popular now, but not on a 'pop' level. Very different.

I hope they dig deep and do a new record. Screw the acoustic thing. Just give us great new music.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:09

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
... but I'd like acoustic versions of the electric rockers, like HTW, CYHMK? (maybe the first 3 minutes?), etc...

Already done: See Let it Bleed, track 3.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:12

An "unplugged" album would be very cool. Hell, I'll take anything at this point.

Date: July 10, 2014 18:13

"I remember thinking it felt like an odd choice back in 95 to do Stripped. It has some cool tracks on it but also felt too 'early'. As in, they were doing a massive very popular global tour"

I even wonder if they recorded (I mean "professionnally recorded" - 48 tracks and all that) any of their 1994-95 stadium shows...
They seemed to be bored to death with the "BIG concerts" format and concentrated on the 4 club-shows and the 2 acoustic studio sessions instead.

Hence "Stripped"...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:15

I think it would be a good idea. But an unrealistic thing to expect. Also "Unplugged" doesn't necessarily mean that its all acoustic.

Date: July 10, 2014 19:02

dcba
"I remember thinking it felt like an odd choice back in 95 to do Stripped. It has some cool tracks on it but also felt too 'early'. As in, they were doing a massive very popular global tour"

I even wonder if they recorded (I mean "professionnally recorded" - 48 tracks and all that) any of their 1994-95 stadium shows...
They seemed to be bored to death with the "BIG concerts" format and concentrated on the 4 club-shows and the 2 acoustic studio sessions instead.

Hence "Stripped"...

Miami 1994. It's even officially released.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:08

DP,

There were actually 2 VL shows from the US leg officially released - the Miami one, sold in shops that you correctly mention and another show (don't know where) sold by the Merch Stands at later shows on the same tour, including in Europe where I bought it. I have both and definitely 2 different shows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:08

I got stripped when I was first getting into the Stones and really enjoyed it. At that time I was strictly into their 81 and earlier music. I didn't think they would even be worth seeing live after that point. Stripped made me realize there was more to them than that.

I think it would be great if they did something like stripped again with their 60's pop songs and old blues stuff. Highly unlikely though.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:03

That would be a poor idea and would give me a very bad feeling. That`s for bands who haven`t any ideas anymore and need some money. Or doin it with classical orchestras ... arrrggh !!

Tom

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:27

electricmud
That would be a poor idea and would give me a very bad feeling. That`s for bands who haven`t any ideas anymore and need some money. Or doin it with classical orchestras ... arrrggh !!

Tom

Exactly...!

Honestly though, this is kindof how I felt about YCAGWYW, but I also know many fellow IORRers on a personal basis, and know for a fact that many of them got teared up at their respective shows. Personally I felt very little 'emotion' or nostalgia this tour. I chalk that up to very few surprises, only two Chuck Berry tunes and almost ZERO blues tracks...

Date: July 10, 2014 21:28

DandelionPowderman

It's bloody awful : even the Nov.24 rehearsals are better than the main show. It serves as a tour souvenir more than anything else...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 21:30 by dcba.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:35

dcba
DandelionPowderman

It's bloody awful : even the Nov.24 rehearsals are better than the main show. It serves as a tour souvenir more than anything else...

It went south very quickly when Whoopi Goldberg introduced the band but was really more interested in whoring Planet Hollywood.

Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:39

DeanGoodman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

It went south very quickly when Whoopi Goldberg introduced the band but was really more interested in whoring Planet Hollywood.

She had to go somewhere to figure out what she was going to say!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home