Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Would an "Unplugged" album be a realistic option now for them?
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 11, 2014 02:26

I agree with you DP in that an acoustic blues album would be great to hear. Just be nice if they played it on a tv studio or something to an audience of only a couple of hundred or something.

No need to write anything as they can do old classics and some if their own blues numbers (how good would it be them ripping out "Parachute woman"?).
Plus they do to have to spend months recording.

Posted by: Stranger09 ()
Date: July 11, 2014 05:03

While I doubt it would happen, a 'Stripped 2', with a slightly more adventurous track selection - for instance songs like 'Who's Been Sleeping Here' and Back Street Girl - would be interesting.

Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: July 11, 2014 13:02

OzHeavyThrobber
and Rod brought in a new cover he'd not done before with "Have I told you lately" and both had enormous success with the respective album/video and single.

T

Have I told you Lately was on Rod Stewarts album, Vagabond Heart released 2 years before he did unplugged

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2014 15:55

DandelionPowderman
dcba
"I remember thinking it felt like an odd choice back in 95 to do Stripped. It has some cool tracks on it but also felt too 'early'. As in, they were doing a massive very popular global tour"

I even wonder if they recorded (I mean "professionnally recorded" - 48 tracks and all that) any of their 1994-95 stadium shows...
They seemed to be bored to death with the "BIG concerts" format and concentrated on the 4 club-shows and the 2 acoustic studio sessions instead.

Hence "Stripped"...

Miami 1994. It's even officially released.

I have it on VHS...I can't play it anymore, but I have it!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2014 07:25

Actually, I have it on good authority that they will be recording an acoustic jam album, with 40-minute versions of Gomper and Sing This All Together (See What Happens).

Date: July 12, 2014 14:09

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
dcba
"I remember thinking it felt like an odd choice back in 95 to do Stripped. It has some cool tracks on it but also felt too 'early'. As in, they were doing a massive very popular global tour"

I even wonder if they recorded (I mean "professionnally recorded" - 48 tracks and all that) any of their 1994-95 stadium shows...
They seemed to be bored to death with the "BIG concerts" format and concentrated on the 4 club-shows and the 2 acoustic studio sessions instead.

Hence "Stripped"...

Miami 1994. It's even officially released.

I have it on VHS...I can't play it anymore, but I have it!

Me too (got the cd with Beast Of Burden and both Keith-songs as well), and I CAN still play it! smiling smiley

What's with the bashing of this show, btw? I still like it.

It even has an unplugged set smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 14:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 13, 2014 10:22

LieB
Doing an "unplugged" concept doesn't really make sense with the Stones. They've always done a lot of acoustic stuff, ever since they wrote Tell Me and As Tears Go By. It's an integral part of the band, and I think it would be a little silly (over simplistic, perhaps) to label a whole concert or album as "unplugged".

Bob Dylan did one

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 14, 2014 15:02

Album not!

But maybe some unplugged shows in smaller venues?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2014 15:25

LeonidP

Bob Dylan did one

At that time Dylan was in severe need of an artistic booster. The "Unplugged" session served as did the Woodstock'94 show. After these two Bob was bron again... >grinning smiley<

The Stones weren't in need of some artistic booster.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 14, 2014 17:40

<<Bob Dylan did one>>

In 1962.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 14, 2014 18:44

OzHeavyThrobber
Hi all

As most here will recall the "unplugged" thing was all the rage in the first part of the 90s. The Stones obviously never did one. I know they gave us "Stripped" but it is quite different.

Just thinking from a money spinning exercise for them once they're off the road this time doing an unplugged show/cd/DVD would probably be a commercially sensible thing to do.

To begin with it's one (or two if they wish) show. No new material is needed. No need to spend four months making an album, then two years touring behind it.

They could pull out and dust off many gems. Using Clapton's as a working template they could grab and rework as they've done so many times live anyway one of their classics and try to push it as a radio friendly thing that could really pave the way for the album to become a heavy seller. "Layla" for example re Clapton and Rod brought in a new cover he'd not done before with "Have I told you lately" and both had enormous success with the respective album/video and single.

The Stones could really go out on a limb here: Winter; COTM; TWFN and do purely acoustic reworking a of their heavier numbers. I think if they did Ruby Tuesday as the song to concentrate on as a single it could really sell. This would be done I'm assuming as a one off deal with Sony or whoever who would be responsible for getting this into high rotation on radio and TV (in the US at least - and let's face it if it becomes a smash in the US the rest of us will probably follow suit - especially if it picks up a couple of Grammies).

Al of them sitting including Mick. Darryl perhaps with an upright. Plus they'd be paid millions to do one or two shows only so it's not like there's no benefit in it for them.

It could also give them so long awaited chart success due to releasing nothing new for almost a decade and introduce them to a younger generation that would ordinarily overlook them.

I realise all of what I say would no go to how I plan it but I think it would be a pretty solid idea for them to get involved in.

Different to Shine a Light - which let's face it was just them on stage with a cameo for Scorsese to look stupid in (Where's the set?? Is Ron gonna open or is Keith gonna open?? Stress stress) - no probs Martin it's not like Keith hasn't opened every show since 1964 or something but make a pointless slaps for the cameras....)

Anyways. Just a thought. And it's nice to dream smoking smiley

No. A NEW album but they are too lazy

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home