Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
First "modern" Stones song in the sixties
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:19

Generally, Jumpin' Jack Flash may come to mind as the first song with a modern/ definitive Stones-signature beat.

IMO, I would say the birth was before, when they released 2000 Light Years from Home. You just have to forget the psychedelic intro.

Re: First "modern" Stones song in the sixties
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:24

I think "Tell Me"

Date: July 7, 2014 21:26

Tell me is a gentle pop song...

Date: July 7, 2014 21:29

The Joker
Tell me is a gentle pop song...

In 1964 it was very hip and moderngrinning smiley

Date: July 7, 2014 21:33

-You tell me "Tell Me" but you are 2000 Light Years from the topic

cool smiley

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:47

Probably Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown or The Last Time.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:52

I believe the correct answer is "Paint It, Black"..

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2014 22:17

Gomper.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 7, 2014 22:42

Satisfaction 1st modern song

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 7, 2014 22:45

Modern?

"Going Home"
"Mothers Little Helper"

Date: July 7, 2014 22:59

The Joker
-You tell me "Tell Me" but you are 2000 Light Years from the topic

cool smiley

Tell Me is the longest track and most controversial on the album " UK LP The Rolling Stones" and is essentially an experimental song.

Posted by: LouisianaSwamp ()
Date: July 7, 2014 23:01

Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing on Her Head?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 7, 2014 23:15

What do you mean by 'modern' ?

Date: July 7, 2014 23:25

Tell Me was a 50s-ish Teddy Boy-ballad. The Last Time might have been their first contemporary-sounding or modern hit.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: July 8, 2014 00:01

Jumpin' Jack Flash for sure anticipated some aspects that a lot of rock / hard rock songs would assume later in the '70s, especially that idea of a rhythmic and “atmospheric” progression that goes beyond or gives a different ending to the formula “strophe - refrain - strophe - refrain ...

Satisfaction, The Last Time, 2000 lights are very modern too in some aspects, but I believe, as said above by Duke Richardson, that Paint It Black is their most modern song.

It has a timeless charm that makes it sound always “contemporary”, and even if many hardcore fans are not enthusiastic about it, it might be the song that people will remember most (together with Satisfaction, probably) within decades, or even centuries. Give a look at youtube, there are hundreds of young bands covering Paint It Black. The song is characterized by a very effective contrast or dialectics between the strophe and the refrain, the former has something dark, oriental-sounding, that creates a tense, suspended atmosphere, and then the latter suddenly breaks out, through a sort of back-beat or counterpoint, in a more “open”, cathartic melody. I don't know if I'm making myself clear, I'm far from being a professional musician and please don't hesitate in reminding me that this might be a lot of bullshit, but in PIB I see the “archetype” of a lot of successful songs as Smashing Pumpkins' “Bullet With Butterfly Wings”, or Nirvana's “Smell Like Teen Spirit”, etc.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 8, 2014 03:22

Modern? It all sounds like R&B to me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2014 05:04

tklawson
Probably Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown or The Last Time.

surely not the last time...that was a 50s redo, no?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 8, 2014 05:20

satisfaction was the break out. It had nothing to do with rhythm and blues. It could not be categorized

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:07

satisfaction was the break out .... yeah an then followed by
Get Off My Cloud ... Sure it was over-shadowed by Satisfaction but it's
title and esp those lyrics are hip & out there ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:18

<<satisfaction was the break out. It could not be categorized>>

Except as "pop"--pop enough to be number 1. It was the Velvet Underground who could not be categorized--at least with John Cale in the band.

<<It had nothing to do with rhythm and blues.>>

Right you are! The main riff that Keith "wrote" in his sleep is heavily derived from Motown soul (from the horn riff in Nowhere To Run by Martha and the Vandellas). Keith was only using the Gibson Fuzz Box as a sketch for the horn section he intended to use in the song's final arrangement, but kept it at the insistence of the rest of the band. Before the fuzz box, it was going to be a country-type song, or as Mick looked back on it from 1968, "It sounded like a Folk song when we first started working on it".

But listen to how easily Satisfaction can fit into the rhythm and blues mould when covered by such an artist....

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:36

DandelionPowderman
Tell Me was a 50s-ish Teddy Boy-ballad. The Last Time might have been their first contemporary-sounding or modern hit.

That's the first one that's sounds like the Stones.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:44

DandelionPowderman

I am not at all familiar with Teddy Boys-ballads. [Myself I have not listened to that much music from the '50s, outside for instance some blues and soul and a little Fats Domino. And I have got one compilation of Elvis Presley.] As you evidently are familiar with Teddy Boys-ballads, you might exemplify the genre and then a song or two that, according to you, could be the outspring for "Tell Me".

I can't guarantee that I will agree.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:58

Since the Stones are mainly about the sound rather than just the song itself, I would say it's Who's Driving Your Plane, because it is the first slower-tempo heavy rock song that they do without "pop" rhythms or affectations, and it sounds more like it could have been recorded later, sometime in 1968 or 9, rather than 1966. It provides a glimpse of things to come, to the point where by the end of the decade they have recorded something that is distinguished by that pure rock sound of uniquely Stonesy guitar that makes them timeless and defines the sound of the band as they would be in subsequent years and decades, the type of sound they would become best known for, which is first epitomized in their first truly modern song: Honky Tonk Women.

Date: July 8, 2014 11:07

drbryant
Modern? It all sounds like R&B to me.

Very modern in the early 60s in the UK...

Date: July 8, 2014 11:11

Witness
DandelionPowderman

I am not at all familiar with Teddy Boys-ballads. [Myself I have not listened to that much music from the '50s, outside for instance some blues and soul and a little Fats Domino. And I have got one compilation of Elvis Presley.] As you evidently are familiar with Teddy Boys-ballads, you might exemplify the genre and then a song or two that, according to you, could be the outspring for "Tell Me".

I can't guarantee that I will agree.

"Teddy Boy" is just an expression for the rockabilly musicians. When they made ballads, they sounded a bit like Tell Me smiling smiley

Date: July 8, 2014 11:16

Treacle: The Last Time sounded contemporary in 1964, even though it was based on a 50s song. The sound and the rawness was something new.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 8, 2014 11:19

It's without any doubt The Spider and The Fly....even long before 'Spiderman' himself got famous..

2 1 2 0

Date: July 8, 2014 11:26

Jann S. Wenner "The Rolling Stone Interview": Jagger Remembers

WENNER:
I recently listened to the very early albums, the first four or five you did, and they’re all pretty much the same. You were doing blues and covers, but one song stood out: “Tell Me (You’re Coming Back),” your first U.S. hit and your first composition together with Keith. It’s the first one that has the seeds of the modern Stones in it.
JAGGER:
Keith was playing 12-string and singing harmonies into the same microphone as the 12-string. We recorded it in this tiny studio in the West End of London called Regent Sound, which was a demo studio. I think the whole of that album was recorded in there. But it’s very different from doing those R&B covers or Marvin Gaye covers and all that. There’s a definite feel about it. It’s a very pop song, as opposed to all the blues songs and the Motown covers, which everyone did at the time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:19

DandelionPowderman
Treacle: The Last Time sounded contemporary in 1964, even though it was based on a 50s song. The sound and the rawness was something new.

I love the song of course, and would have been too young in 1965 to have known whether it was contemporary or not, I'm sure it was.

I rather thought that what we were talking about was defining a point where the Stones distinctly first had their 'modern' sound, that is their signature today.

I agree with the assertion that HTW was undeniably that sound and would not sound dated if released today. The Last Time to my ears, is definitely more of a period piece.

Date: July 8, 2014 16:24

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I love the song of course, and would have been too young in 1965 to have known whether it was contemporary or not, I'm sure it was.

I rather thought that what we were talking about was defining a point where the Stones distinctly first had their 'modern' sound, that is their signature today.

I agree with the assertion that HTW was undeniably that sound and would not sound dated if released today. The Last Time to my ears, is definitely more of a period piece.

With your criteria I would go for JJF or SFM, but I'm not sure how modern they sounded at the time. Maybe retro rock was the new loud in 1968?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1364
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home