Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: The hate for keith and his current guitar skills
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 3, 2011 02:29

ROPENI
msw2525=addicted,this sounds way too familiar >grinning smiley<

Then addicted would have had two login names at one point in time.

msw2525 has been around for almost a year.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 3, 2011 02:33

Edith Grove
ROPENI

Then addicted would have had two login names at one point in time.

msw2525 has been around for almost a year.
Edith,l know they probably are not the same person,but their premise in regards to those that acknowledge Keith's decline,is pretty much the same.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: April 3, 2011 02:36

I am not moonlighting as anyone else just so you guys know. Not sure why people do that anyways

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 3, 2011 02:45

We love Keith, however, when someone who happens to be musically inclined who pints out the fact that his skills have seriously eroded, it is a fact. Download 1981 "Little T&A" on youtube,then download the same song 2006. The defense rests.

Keith takes alot off time off during a song ans poses way too much.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 3, 2011 02:52

msw2525, say Hi to Keith next time you see him. Some people here still love him.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 3, 2011 02:59

ROPENI
No Addicted would have personally insulted someone while at the same time promoting an upcoming event.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 3, 2011 03:01

sweetcharmedlife
ROPENI
No Addicted would have personally insulted someone while at the same time promoting an upcoming event.winking smiley

LOLsmileys with beer

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 3, 2011 03:09

msw2525
71tele, am i not discussing the band and one of its members current status as a player in that band these days and how is skills are or are not what they once were? And how that plays into their music? Seriously relax man just putting in my two cents is all. Oh and yes i already started the keith is dreamy site and got quite a few members thank you very much.

I'm perfectly relexed, but thanks...well, you started a thread with the premise that people hate Keith. I was merely pointing out that in my opinion that premise is flawed. Everyone has the right to their "two cents" but if you put something like that up there, you should expect strong disagreement.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 3, 2011 03:11

For me it's like this. Yes they're getting older, and yes they're slowing down, skills are leaving them. That's fine, that's natural, of course.

What is not decreasing though are the ticket prices. Can you imagine what they're going to cost this time around? I will not pay my hard-earned money through the nose to wince at musical trianwrecks from heroes I've seen since they were babies only in their mid-forties.... just because they're The Rolling Stones. I have more respect for my own memories of them than that.

It'll be their first tour since the 2008 recession. Good luck.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-03 03:12 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: April 3, 2011 03:12

Title5Take1
It's rock and roll, and his recent playing is good enough for me; it's not like he has to play what Joe Pass would play, which Keith never could have played.

And I wonder how much is superimposing. One thing that grates on me is when I've seen YouTube interview clips with rock stars with reputations for substance abuse but who are perfectly lucid and sober in these certain interview clips. Even though they are perfectly sober in these certain clips, some idiots in the comments beneath often say, "He's totally stoned here!!" I'm thinking of sober clips of Keith and Jim Morrison, where they'll be perfectly lucid, but some viewers will superimpose intoxication on them even when it's not there. I suspect that sometimes happens with Keith's recent guitar playing.

No, he doesn't have to play what Joe Pass would play. He only has to play what Keith would play, and it was alarming last time out that sometimes he didn't seem capable of doing that. Are we supposed to not notice?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 3, 2011 03:13

There won't be any "Keith Can't Play Anymore Ticket Discounts", I'm sure.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2011 03:15

Fook ......looks like not gonna get ta meet a lotta you dudes......

ROCKMAN

Date: April 3, 2011 03:16

Midnight Toker
We love Keith, however, when someone who happens to be musically inclined who pints out the fact that his skills have seriously eroded, it is a fact. Download 1981 "Little T&A" on youtube,then download the same song 2006. The defense rests.

Keith takes alot off time off during a song ans poses way too much.

I think you mean the prosecution rests! Seriously, you're completely right about this.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 3, 2011 13:32

The main question to me is:how does he really feel as an (ex) guitar player/
Rolling Stone ?
Does he realize he drowned and spoiled most of his life using drugs and regrets it?

As a true musician it must be very painful if you cannot play anymore..
He once told:"I will end up playing the guitar like I started: as a kid on the stairs of my home." A beautiful candle burning out like this? Webcam please!

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 3, 2011 13:50

Amsterdamned
The main question to me is:how does he really feel as an (ex) guitar player/
Rolling Stone ?
Does he realize he drowned and spoiled most of his life using drugs and regrets it?

As a true musician it must be very painful if you cannot play anymore..
He once told:"I will end up playing the guitar like I started: as a kid on the stairs of my home." A beautiful candle burning out like this? Webcam please!

Les Paul played the same until his death at 90+ . and his heydays were a decade before .

i think if i get arthritis and get to that stage i will move to open G playing . . oh wait

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 3, 2011 15:03

ROPENI
"Current guitar skills"? from his own mouth he has not picked up a guitar in a long time.

Where did he say that? I see many people saying that he hasn't touched one in years, but where did he say it?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 3, 2011 15:08

I think he said that in Kimmels talkshow, he wanted "to get away from the axe a little after the tour" and he was "rusty".

Date: April 3, 2011 15:10

windmelody
I think he said that in Kimmels talkshow, he wanted "to get away from the axe a little after the tour" and he was "rusty".

Jimmy Fallon's show? Did he do Jimmy Kimmel Live without me seeing it?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 3, 2011 15:13

Sorry, it was Fallon.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 3, 2011 15:14

according to angee on the first page of this thread:

"The one time Keith said he hadn't picked up a guitar much recently was during his appearance with Jimmy Fallon almost a year ago."

Reading between the lines of one or two interviews, it looks as if during Patti's illness Keith had more important things on his mind than practising the guitar or working in his basement recording studio. Whether that has now changed is something we just don't know - there's no evidence either way at the moment.

Date: April 3, 2011 15:33

Well, he didn't say anything like not picking up a guitar in a long time, let alone years.

The video is here: [www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com]

And I did a transcript of the bit about guitar practice:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jimmy Fallon:
Do you ever get rusty? Do you ever not like play the guitar for months?

Keith Richards:
Actually you're looking at a very rusty Keith Richards right now.

Jimmy Fallon:
No, are you?

Keith Richards:
Yeah, I do have to do some practice, so don't pull me up (Points to the house band).

Jimmy Fallon:
So you get like.... You need a little....

Keith Richards:
If you've been on the road for two years, and then suddenly you stop. So you say "Just put the axe away for a little bit", and then you say "I've really gotta catch up man". So at the moment I'm doing a lot of catch-up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disregarding that this interview is almost a year old and all that, Keith merely said that he put the guitar away for a little bit and that he's doing some catch-up, and lastly that he's very rusty. The worst part of it is that it's so typical for many people on this forum (And you know who you are) to take a mouse and make it into an elephant.

I hope I've set the record straight for some people with this post.

Keith Richards did not say that he hasn't picked up a guitar for years!!!!

So there.....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 3, 2011 15:53

The problem with most Keith haters is quite simple. There are way too many amateur medical doctors out there who seem perfectly comfortable diagnosing brain damage from afar, with no formal training at all. And I forgot to mention all the amateur arthritis experts and alcohol abuse experts, once again with no medical training at all. I wrote a thread called Keith Bashers are Frustrated Musicians a few months ago. Needless to say, this was met with anger because some amateur musicians were unabe to accept that their guitar skills were sub par.

I have said this before and will say it again. Keith's guitar skills should be judged by the studio work only. I was very pleased with the musicianship on A Bigger Bang. No one will remember a mediocre stage performance. We will always have the CD's and vinyl records.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 3, 2011 16:14

flilflam
I have said this before and will say it again. Keith's guitar skills should be judged by the studio work only. I was very pleased with the musicianship on A Bigger Bang. No one will remember a mediocre stage performance. We will always have the CD's and vinyl records.

Well if we look at their officially released output during a decade or so actually we Stones fans - and anyone interested in - have been treated with a load of "mediocre stage performance" stuff compared to studio stuff. Think of FOUR FLICKS, LIVE LICKS, A BIGGEST BANG DVD, SHINE A LIGHT movie and CD compared just to A BIGGER BANG and those few FORTY LICKS tracks. One can not ignore all that stuff if one is going to judge Keith as a guitar player during a last ten yaers or so.

Anyway, as far as the topic of this thread goes, talk is cheap in both ways - since A BIGGER TOUR tour here is only three-number Crickets performance and a few studio overdubs as an evidence to make judgements about Keith's skills as a guitar player. No matter how we interpret Keith's words, the actual output is not that convincing. I am all ears to hear more (guitar playing, not talk of it).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-03 16:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 3, 2011 16:30

The real question is whether or not Don McLean is a Keith-hater based on the lyrics of "American Pie." Let's not lose our focus, people.

Date: April 3, 2011 16:32

Doxa
flilflam

Well if we look at their officially released output during a decade or so actually we Stones fans - and anyone interested in - have been treated with a load of "mediocre stage performance" stuff compared to studio stuff. Think of FOUR FLICKS, LIVE LICKS, A BIGGEST BANG DVD, SHINE A LIGHT movie and CD compared just to A BIGGER BANG and those few FORTY LICKS tracks. One can not ignore all that stuff if one is going to judge Keith as a guitar player during a last ten yaers or so.

Anyway, as far as the topic of this thread goes, talk is cheap in both ways - since A BIGGER TOUR tour here is only three-number Crickets performance and a few studio overdubs as an evidence to make judgements about Keith's skills as a guitar player. No matter how we interpret Keith's words, the actual output is not that convincing. I am all ears to hear more (guitar playing, not talk of it).

- Doxa

I liked Keith's playing in the 2000s. He did a great job, although there was some performances in 2007 where he was out of it.
As you say, talk is cheap. We can't know if he's better or worse right now, but consider Daniel Day-Lewis who dropped acting for 5 years to make shoes in Italy. He came back and kicked ass in Gangs Of New York. Why do you always have to judge on the negative side of things? Is it because you want to be happily surprised if you think he actually does play better in 2012? Can't you get on the team for a little bit?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 3, 2011 16:33

Rocky Dijon
The real question is whether or not Don McLean is a Keith-hater based on the lyrics of "American Pie." Let's not lose our focus, people.

Don McLean can shove it no matter what. >grinning smiley<

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 3, 2011 16:34

it's interesting that there's a huge amount of live stuff from the stones' recent performances but hardly anything from when they were at the top of their game years ago.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2011 16:34

in a latter career move, mclean was a helluva bball player at ucla, where bill walton held down the same role decades earlier...and we know walton loves the stones, so it's not a far leap from that to recognize that mclean must like them too.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 3, 2011 16:40

It's logic like this that makes this board worthwhile.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 3, 2011 16:41

Midnight Toker
Download 1981 "Little T&A" on youtube,then download the same song 2006. The defense rests.

To below that's puching below the belt... Take 2 perfs of any artist that are separated by 25 years and you'll notice a decline. Imho it'd wiser and more revelant compare tings era by era.

The period that goes from 2002 to 2007 is a Stones era fo ex.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home