Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: The hate for keith and his current guitar skills
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 3, 2011 20:45

Gazza, i meant in terms of official releases. i guess "huge amount" was an overstatement. but looking at the list of official live albums and dvds, there's much more recent stuff as opposed to material from the 60s and 70s.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 3, 2011 21:01

I just love the Stones and I can't wait to see them back on the road again

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 3, 2011 21:15

Gazza
mtaylor
Keith himself knows his problems. Charlie mentioned in an interview previously published here on the board, that Keith during the last tour was about to give up playing on the tour beucase of pain in his fingers - that tells a lot for a person that loves to play guitar and being on tour.

There have been talks about somehow a treatment to his artritis problems - how much really has happened I don't know. Maybe somebody can tell.

I think that 'interview' was pretty much written off as being made up, was it not?

He more or less suggested the band was done as well in the same 'interview', yet amazingly none of the rest of the several French journalists who were supposedly present saw fit to report it nor did the world's media pick up on it.
Good question - it's always hard to say not being present.

But, we have Charlies words on Austrian TV saying recording for new material is going on and the Stones will be back in studio for more new material. That's at least very good news. That probably also means, if no healt problems show up, a new tour at a certain level. Mick and Charlie working together could also mean production of a new tour - it's Charlies and Mick's work to do these things. They have done it wonderfully the last many years and will do it one more time.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 3, 2011 21:32

Listen to this and be proud of being a Stones fan - having the best frontman and the rest of the band as well. And despite being older with less ability to play guitar - Keith has had his very good moments - listen to the whole acoustic Strppied part....

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 3, 2011 21:36

mtaylor
Listen to this and be proud of being a Stones fan - having the best frontman and the rest of the band as well. And despite being older with less ability to play guitar - Keith has had his very good moments - listen to the whole acoustic Strppied part....

Keith's great.smoking smiley

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: April 3, 2011 21:55

ineedadrink
thewatchman
Personally, I don't care how much his skills may have declined. I love the man dearly, (my kind of people) and want him on stage with the rest of his mates no matter what.
what if he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease? you'd prefer to have him on stage in such a sad state that he makes a fool of himself for your enjoyment?

Of course not, take your insults elsewhere.

Date: April 3, 2011 22:52

ineedadrink
what if he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease? you'd prefer to have him on stage

HUH ???

-------------------

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 3, 2011 22:55

ineedadrink
Gazza, i meant in terms of official releases. i guess "huge amount" was an overstatement. but looking at the list of official live albums and dvds, there's much more recent stuff as opposed to material from the 60s and 70s.

Ok...now I get ya.

Well, they simply recorded far more often in their heyday. And live albums weren't very commonplace in the 60s. And those that were - as evidenced by the one live record they DID release in the 60s - was hampered by the fact that they performed in front of audiences who couldnt hear them.

A live album is also a way of cashing in on a tour and filling some downtime between tours.

However, every Stones tour since '75 has been documented in a live album.

75-77 - LYL 81-82 - Still Life, 89-90 - Flashpoint, 94-95 - Stripped, 97-98 No Security (I know they toured in '99, but it was just an extension of 97-98), 02-03 (Live Licks), 05-07 - Shine A Light.

And the only reason why there was no live album from the 71-73 era was down to legal issues over the ABKCO material. Otherwise, there would have been.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 3, 2011 23:01

Gazza
every Stones tour since '75 has been documented in a live album.

Not the '78 tour.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 3, 2011 23:12

thewatchman
ineedadrink
thewatchman
Personally, I don't care how much his skills may have declined. I love the man dearly, (my kind of people) and want him on stage with the rest of his mates no matter what.
what if he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease? you'd prefer to have him on stage in such a sad state that he makes a fool of himself for your enjoyment?

no insult. i was merely questioning the validity of your "no matter what" comment.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2011 23:43

erikjjf
Gazza

Not the '78 tour.

shocking oversight by our man. it's the old age, i swear. these cute little blackouts that used to last a couple of seconds eventually start to take out large sections of the day.

Date: April 3, 2011 23:44

ineedadrink
thewatchman
ineedadrink
thewatchman

no insult. i was merely questioning the validity of your "no matter what" comment.

it would be interesting to know what it would take to keep some at home. more drooling than singing? evidence of most of the band wearing depends and checking them between every other song?

Date: April 3, 2011 23:54

erikjjf
Gazza

Not the '78 tour.

I over-edited myself. Was gonna say 'every world tour' and edited out 'world' !

Seriously. moody smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 3, 2011 23:55

Keef is the king of all riffage, the reason why I play guitar, etc. But seriously, given his various issues, could the Stones even get a tour insured nowadays? They don't hit the road without being underwritten.

Date: April 4, 2011 00:12

Gazza
erikjjf
Gazza

Not the '78 tour.

I over-edited myself. Was gonna say 'every world tour' and edited out 'world' !

Seriously. moody smiley

weak

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2011 06:02

ineedadrink
thewatchman

I could get behind that.

Date: April 4, 2011 06:03

dcba
CBII
There's a great deal of passion when it comes to this subject. Sometimes the box is better left closed.

Probably because everyone here aknowledges that, in a live setting, Keith is the Rolling Stones. If he can't perform or if he half-performs and spends 1h40 mugging for the cameras and the people at the front row, the show's gonna be poor...

His decline is the whole band's decline.

Well then that would have occurred around 1973...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 4, 2011 06:04

I'm not going to bother reading all 4 pages (so far) of this thread but to say 'hate for Keith' is an extreme exaggeration. I have been a fan of Keith and his playing for 40 years and then some but I'm objective enough to know that his guitar skills have deteriorated dramatically. That's not hate. That's an objective observation based on attending many concerts and listening to many live performances with a critical ear. It's a great pity that this has happened and brings me no joy but there it is.

Date: April 4, 2011 06:08

Rocky Dijon
The real question is whether or not Don McLean is a Keith-hater based on the lyrics of "American Pie." Let's not lose our focus, people.

Nice inter-thread surgical manoeuvre. smileys with beer

Date: April 4, 2011 06:12

ab
Keef is the king of all riffage, the reason why I play guitar, etc. But seriously, given his various issues, could the Stones even get a tour insured nowadays? They don't hit the road without being underwritten.

I'm kind of doubting they would actually go on the road again as well, ALTHOUGH I could believe, (and maybe even get excited) about MJ securing Mick Taylor for 'the' tour, as a way to alleviate some of those insurance issues.

Ronnie and MT could (easily?) make a tour work, even without Keith.

Date: April 4, 2011 06:14

Gazza
Rocky Dijon
The real question is whether or not Don McLean is a Keith-hater based on the lyrics of "American Pie." Let's not lose our focus, people.

He's a Mick-hater. His hands 'were clenched in fists of rage', dont forget.

The bastard.

Could have been a raging 'hard on', which would then in fact make him a Mick-lover.

Date: April 4, 2011 06:15

StonesTod
Gazza
flilflam
I have said this before and will say it again. Keith's guitar skills should be judged by the studio work only. I was very pleased with the musicianship on A Bigger Bang. No one will remember a mediocre stage performance. We will always have the CD's and vinyl records.

Fair enough. Charge the price of a CD the next time they perform live then, and everyone will be happy.

don't say that! watch the exponential increase in cd costs now!! $450 for a single disc??? is that an on-disc experience or something?

I'd just download the first single for $45 and call it a day.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 4, 2011 06:36

Edith Grove
rooster
Hey..Dox...you remember the Leeds 82 show?....Jagger joined Keith on stage to sing Little T&A....thats so moving!..

So was this the last time Mick sang on a Keith song ?

This?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 4, 2011 10:56

ChrisM
I have been a fan of Keith and his playing for 40 years and then some but I'm objective enough to know that his guitar skills have deteriorated dramatically. That's not hate. That's an objective observation based on attending many concerts and listening to many live performances with a critical ear. It's a great pity that this has happened and brings me no joy but there it is.

71Tele:
Once again there are folks who unfortunately cannot discern between disappointment, criticism and "hate". It's really your problem, not ours. What we do here is discuss the Rolling Stones and their music, which includes the very real issue of the decline of the band and the individual players' skills and/or commitment. I sincerely doubt that anyone here "hates" Keith - quite the contrary.

Both these gentlemen express my thoughts perfectly.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 4, 2011 14:06

As I said many times before, I may be one of the very few that actually likes Keith's guitar playing in the recent past tours.

So I read that the SAL performance is represented above as a clear evidence of Keith's deteriorated skills as guitar player.

If I hadn't heard SAL before, based on your comments I would expect some terrible guitarplaying by Keith on it, yet what I actually hear is some truly great stuff (with the occasional bum notes on the Devil solo)!

And I think that we can all agree that SAL was not a highlight of the Bang tour.

So help me understand why SAL is such a good example of a bad performance by Keith?

Let's just take Keith's playing on any 73 All down the Line: where is it so different technically from the SAL version?

I myself have been playing guitar for more than 20 years by now, so do not be afraid to use technical words or examples.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 14:07 by liddas.

Date: April 4, 2011 14:50

StonesTod
ineedadrink
thewatchman
ineedadrink
thewatchman

it would be interesting to know what it would take to keep some at home. more drooling than singing? evidence of most of the band wearing depends and checking them between every other song?

Reminds me of a mock-up picture of the band onstage which appeared in a tabloid during the last tour (after a report that Mick used an oxygen mask during Keith's mini-set) which portrayed a Stones show where the band were not only wearing oxygen masks, but were in some cases on zimmer frames or had drips attached.

My father-in-law took it literally and found it amazing that they would go on stage looking that frail and pathetic.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 4, 2011 15:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 15:20 by Amsterdamned.

Date: April 4, 2011 15:18

liddas
I may be one of the very few that actually likes Keith's guitar playing in the recent past tours.

Thanks mate, now I know that I am not the only one smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 4, 2011 15:31

I don't hate it. It's the best he seems to be able to do. But I feel bad for him, his skills have diminished so far.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 4, 2011 15:51

Doxa
To continue a bit of my speculation (which it really is).
what Ronnie and Taylor did during the Stu gig - quite ordinary blues playing - sounded almost Hendrix-like quality stuff compared to the guitar playing we are used to in recent years with The Stones.

To me it's a tragedy.

- Doxa

The tragedy is their (former) life style.imo,
cause there are lots op 60+ players out there,still playing like hell.

To compare Wood blues playing to Hendrix..that's a bit far fetched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 16:05 by Amsterdamned.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1152
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home