Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
is slowhand really God?
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 27, 2011 20:30

Is clapton really God? I love clapton as an artist...his work with blinf faith...dominoes and his first solo album are some of my personal favorite music....but what about johnny winter...duane...as blues guitarists? they dont have the body of work...but ive heard other guitarists who have impresssed me more. clapton always seemed limited to me. For instance...taylor incorporated so much more melody in his blues...wheras ec seemed to rely on the standard blues scale.....is there really no one better?

Re: is slowhand really God?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 27, 2011 20:32

Well, just like the various sheeple of the world, he can be "God" if you want him to be. Just keep it at home.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 27, 2011 20:57

Is Clapton realy God? couldn't believe that headline in the music papers in the'60's. I thought it stupid then and much more so now. I've seen pub guitarists with the same amount or even more talent than EC. He's gone downhill big time in my opinion.I bet his gigs at RAH in May will all be virtually identical give or take a few songs.I know we can say that about many bands/artists but he is more boring than most.I've seen him about six times since the '70's and that will do for me. confused smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2011 21:06

It should be noted that the God graffiti started prior Hendrix's arrival in London. Once Hendrix started to woo the crowds in places like the Bag O'Nails and the Marquee, Clapton was no longer viewed as the very best.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 27, 2011 21:38

"is slowhand really God?"

Of cours he is : look closely at pix of his hands. He's got one round scar in the middle of each palm...

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 27, 2011 21:46

is slowhand really God?..No..Mick Jagger is!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 27, 2011 21:56

What I dislike most about the "Clapton Is God" nonsense is that it marked the first time when for many people playing an instrument really well became more important than creating a great song, or a band creating a great sound.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 27, 2011 22:05

No more or less than anyone else is! And even if a "ordinary" human being can be considered to be "God" and Clapton was "God" then what term would apply to true geniuses, like Mozart and Leonardo da Vinci, rather than capable interpretors of one genre of music like the Blues?

Like most areas and subjects in life, people lack a sense of proportion.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 27, 2011 22:41

71Tele
What I dislike most about the "Clapton Is God" nonsense is that it marked the first time when for many people playing an instrument really well became more important than creating a great song, or a band creating a great sound.

Yes, and this is where the Stones far surpass him with the all the great songs they were making. At the height of this CIG nonsense, had Buddy Guy entered a room with Clapton in it, Clapton would have bowed.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 27, 2011 22:52

crawdaddy
Is Clapton realy God? couldn't believe that headline in the music papers in the'60's. I thought it stupid then and much more so now. I've seen pub guitarists with the same amount or even more talent than EC. He's gone downhill big time in my opinion.I bet his gigs at RAH in May will all be virtually identical give or take a few songs.I know we can say that about many bands/artists but he is more boring than most.I've seen him about six times since the '70's and that will do for me. confused smiley

I for one have not seen many pub guitarists of this caliber:

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 27, 2011 22:56

Well, I love Clapton's playing but in that video he's playing standard pentatonic licks and plays the same one for about half the video.

Date: March 27, 2011 23:06

Damn, Clapton was so cool in 68 - what happened?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 27, 2011 23:17

Big Al
Damn, Clapton was so cool in 68 - what happened?

He stayed equal more or less.
Others got better.

Date: March 27, 2011 23:22

I've seen that clip on my Farewell Cream DVD many years ago and many times since.EC was great in the '60's and into the '70's but boring and repetitive now .He's not the only one to go downhill.Dare I say it.............MT is still pretty good ,and better than Eric,but not quite as good as when he was a Rolling Stone.On the other hand............Jeff Beck and Walter Trout.....not everyones taste,have just got better and better. If you wanna see and hear guitarists that are equal or better than EC ,go down to The Grey Horse Pub,Kingston on a Sunday afternoon or jam session evening and you have a good chance to see brilliant playing.A few other pubs in Surbiton/Kingston area as well. That's the sort of place I have seen players of that calibre at times.The talent is there all over the U.K. and the world .smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-27 23:49 by crawdaddy.

Date: March 27, 2011 23:23

Amsterdamned

Others got better.

I was thinking more along the lines of his hair, the tasche, the clothes, attitude, etc... he became a complete dullard by the mid-70's

Date: March 27, 2011 23:39

Big Al
Amsterdamned

Others got better.

I was thinking more along the lines of his hair, the tasche, the clothes, attitude, etc... he became a complete dullard by the mid-70's
Eric was ''A dedicated follower of fashion'' in those days,but a grumpy old man wearing boring old clothes now (like the rest of us from the '60's) I guess. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-27 23:47 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 27, 2011 23:57

Mick Taylor is the man! Is the creature known as god a man? Discuss.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2011 00:03

crawdaddy
Big Al

Amsterdamned

Others got better.

Eric was ''A dedicated follower of fashion'' in those days,but a grumpy old man wearing boring old clothes now (like the rest of us from the '60's) I guess. smoking smiley

In Jeff Beck we trust!

Date: March 28, 2011 00:06

Mick Taylor is the man! Is the creature known as god a man? Discuss

I don't get into religion,race,politics etc. as it creates threads that never seem to end and are pointless. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-28 00:17 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 28, 2011 00:24

I saw EC with Winwood and really enjoyed it. I can't really say how good or downhill he is from his heyday.

EC said that when he played with Derek Trucks it challenged him. I have seen DT many time and he is very, very good.

Other guitar players who I have seen and find very good are Steve Vai and John Frusciante.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 28, 2011 00:27

crawdaddy
Mick Taylor is the man! Is the creature known as god a man? Discuss

I don't get into religion,race,politics etc. as it creates threads that never seem to end and are pointless. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Correct.
Everybody says my opinions are pointless. I know my place.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 28, 2011 00:42

Here's Bob Dylan with God...

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: March 28, 2011 00:42

Clapton is one of the most boring artists of all time. A great example of soulless electric blues. Made some good records in the 60s and early 70s though!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 28, 2011 00:51

Ferret
Clapton is one of the most boring artists of all time. A great example of soulless electric blues. Made some good records in the 60s and early 70s though!

thumbs up

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 28, 2011 05:36

I love Clapton, have seen him many times including the MSG concert with Steve Winwood. He's in my Top 10 but... God? I'm not sure God would have been doing his towels at a laundry in LA earlier this month!

(Full props for keeping it real, Eric!)

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 28, 2011 05:37

deadegad
Other guitar players who I have seen and find very good are Steve Vai and John Frusciante.
frusciante is really good. steve vai is a w-a-n-k-e-r.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-28 05:38 by ineedadrink.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 28, 2011 06:43

Amsterdamned
crawdaddy
Big Al

Amsterdamned

Others got better.

In Jeff Beck we trust!

Amen, brother! Jeff Beck can play rings around Clapton, and has been able to do so for 45 years.

By Clapton's own admission, Jeff Beck can play anything he can, but he can't play a lot of things that Beck can. In particular, Clapton noted Beck's right hand technique. See their joint Rolling Stone interview from a couple years ago.

Date: March 28, 2011 07:02

Sleepy City
Here's Bob Dylan with God...

Looks more like Chuck Berry with God to me...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:04

is slowhand really God?

........ well I guess The Pointer Sisters would say YES!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2011 07:07

I kind of rue the day when lead guitar players became "Gods", even Hendrix.

Musicians are just human beings...sometimes very talented, flawed, complex human beings. The Godlike thing about them is their ability to take us someplace magical. But even that comes from somewhere else, Keith talks about "the antennae", George said it was within you and without you. The God is the music itself, not the receiver.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home