Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Phil Collins Retires From Music
Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:20

Now if only Sting would follow suit!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:27

nanker phelge
I agree wholeheartedly!thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:54

Collins recently said how he had played congas on George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS and didn't get a credit. So when it was reissued in 2000 he hoped he'd get a credit and mentioned it to George. George sent him an old outtake that consisted of Collins really badly playing congas and George saying to the engineer, "Let's try it without the congas." Collins was really hurt and thought George didn't have to send such an insulting outtake. When George later called him about the credit, Collins angrily mentioned the hurtful outtake. George said, "Phil, I recorded that just last month as a practical joke on you. That wasn't actually you on the congas. I had another drummer play congas really badly and I made that comment, and sent it to you as a practical joke." Collins said he went from the height of anger to the height of hilarity in a span of seconds. And he did get his credit finally on the reissue.

(I read this in PEOPLE or PARADE, I forget which.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 19:57 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 9, 2011 20:13

"I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 10, 2011 02:37

sweetcharmedlife
nanker phelge
I agree wholeheartedly!thumbs up
Yeah! Like Phil Collins, he was great with the band and his early solo work was excellent as well, but he's totally lost it somewhere in the first half of the 1990s...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 10, 2011 03:28

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
Collins has confirmed his retirement, but says he is not "a tormented weirdo".

[www.bbc.co.uk]
There are enough of those around here.eye popping smiley

They're not tormented. They're tormenting the rest of us.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 10, 2011 03:43

Good for him ... and good for us.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 03:45

Title5Take1
Collins recently said how he had played congas on George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS and didn't get a credit. So when it was reissued in 2000 he hoped he'd get a credit and mentioned it to George. George sent him an old outtake that consisted of Collins really badly playing congas and George saying to the engineer, "Let's try it without the congas." Collins was really hurt and thought George didn't have to send such an insulting outtake. When George later called him about the credit, Collins angrily mentioned the hurtful outtake. George said, "Phil, I recorded that just last month as a practical joke on you. That wasn't actually you on the congas. I had another drummer play congas really badly and I made that comment, and sent it to you as a practical joke." Collins said he went from the height of anger to the height of hilarity in a span of seconds. And he did get his credit finally on the reissue.

Very good story. I won't miss him, but good story.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 10, 2011 04:03

I think he's taking it all too hard. He made some good music, so what if it was more on the pop side, and it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. He shouldn't feel bad about his success. Hopefully he'll re- embrace his work as time goes on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 04:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2011 09:01

More Hot Rocks
Come On

Genesis three gems...let's forget about the rest...

what's the matter with Wind And Weathering?

Yeah that one is pretty much worth listen too also...thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 10, 2011 09:05

whitem8
Title5Take1

Did you see in the Beatles Anthology when they were all at the mixing desk at Abbey Road with George Martin listening to "Tomorrow Never Knows" (or it might have been "Golden Slumbers") and George Harrison said jokingly "bring in Phil Collins"? Very odd.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2011 09:09

Phil had some atmosphere in 'In the air tonight'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: March 10, 2011 10:19

I read somewhete that his retirement has something to do with pain. Collins said he couln't hold his drumsticks in his hands anymore and had to fix them with some chatterton.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 10, 2011 11:37

He accually retired about 7 years ago due to a hearing problem, this hasn't been mensioned so i don't quite know what happened there.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 10, 2011 13:22

He does sound very down, and I guess he has to grieve. But all is not lost; apparently he can recover from the physical damage in a year or so.

He's just 60, and there is plenty of time to forge new directions. Look at Bill Wyman! And there are many things within the sphere of music he could do if he truly wanted to. But no one ever promised a pop career would last until a musician died, unless he died young.

Good luck, Phil, and remember, when God closes a door, he opens a window.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 10, 2011 14:48

71Tele
whitem8
Title5Take1

Did you see in the Beatles Anthology when they were all at the mixing desk at Abbey Road with George Martin listening to "Tomorrow Never Knows" (or it might have been "Golden Slumbers") and George Harrison said jokingly "bring in Phil Collins"? Very odd.

They were listening to Tomorrow Never Knows. The reference to Phil probably had to do with Phil having done a cover version of TNK on his 1981 album, Face Value. As with the Beatles Revolver, it was the closing track on the album.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: March 10, 2011 15:57

The one thing I didn't care for was a quote by him, I believe in Rolling Stone Magazine, saying something to the effect of he can't relate to what is on MTV & they wouldn't relate to him. I felt saddened that he thought the only way to be relavent in music is to appeal to the MTV crowd.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 17:40

Title5Take1

He he! Good old George. Now there is someone that was, is and will continue to be missed.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: March 10, 2011 19:58

chrismusic
The one thing I didn't care for was a quote by him, I believe in Rolling Stone Magazine, saying something to the effect of he can't relate to what is on MTV & they wouldn't relate to him. I felt saddened that he thought the only way to be relavent in music is to appeal to the MTV crowd.

Well, this is what i have been driving at in another thread. I'm no fan of Phil's music personally, although his music is mostly very listenable, except for when he went too pop in the mid-late eighties with 'Two Hearts' etc. Would still rather have him than the X-Factor and American Idol wannabies, which dominates the charts with nothing but hype (in the main). Phil does have a musical talent, which i think is hard to deny.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2011 20:11

This is how I like to remember him.
One of the best jazz-prog rockbands ever: Brand X, with Phil at his best!!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home