Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Phil Collins Retires From Music
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:56

tatters
If Phil can't be the toast of the MTV Music Awards, he doesn't want to be a musician at all? Is the man mentally ill? I understand about him not being able to play the drums, but he doesn't HAVE to play the drums to make music. He hasn't really had to play them since he took over Peter Gabriel's job, 35 years ago.

I gotta love this comment
Only elevators are going to miss him

LIke U2 once said "Phil, our parents love your music"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:58

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 7, 2011 02:01

Phil Collins disapproves: [www.southparkstudios.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 7, 2011 02:04

Munichhilton
tatters
If Phil can't be the toast of the MTV Music Awards, he doesn't want to be a musician at all? Is the man mentally ill? I understand about him not being able to play the drums, but he doesn't HAVE to play the drums to make music. He hasn't really had to play them since he took over Peter Gabriel's job, 35 years ago.

I gotta love this comment
Only elevators are going to miss him

LIke U2 once said "Phil, our parents love your music"

I actually like Phil. His solo stuff is a guilty pleasure, and Genesis is one of the all-time great bands. I'm glad I got to see them on what now appears to have been their final tour, in 2007. But Phil's comments are REALLY strange. It's like he thinks everything is still supposed to be just the way it was, in 1985, when he was the most popular artist in the world. And if it CAN'T be that way again, Phil's just gonna pick up his ball and go home!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 02:07 by tatters.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: March 7, 2011 02:28

"... the overplaying of his music which made people "want to strangle" him"

I can imagine that; it's really been overplayed. But it had some qualities as well.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 7, 2011 02:36

say what you want about phil collins, but you have to admit, "in the air tonight" is a great song.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 7, 2011 02:43

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 04:01

Elmo Lewis
Our prayers have been answered!

You have very strange, hateful prayers indeed.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: March 7, 2011 04:04

I actually liked Duke, some of Genesis and parts of Abacab are quite good (I heard No Reply At All on the radio the other day and was floored at the horns! That's some amazingly tight playing going on!). Phil's solo albums are a bit mushy but obviously full of pain, like Hello I Must Be Going's ballads.

Those big songs from No Jacket Required became such a part of that time, with Miami Vice using some of the songs and whatever - those were HUGE! And that gargantuan single Take A Look At Me Now or whatever it's called, that's a pretty damn good song.

But he did too much pop crap, like Sussudio and Don't Lose My Number and that awful horrible shit with Genesis, Can't Dance or whatever. I won't miss him - his songs are on the radio all the time as are the Genesis ballads. People stopped paying attention after that We Can't Dance album Genesis did.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 7, 2011 04:05

ineedadrink
say what you want about phil collins, but you have to admit, "in the air tonight" is a great song.

I will admit it was a great record. It was not a great song. There's a difference.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 7, 2011 05:40

I'm no fan of his music but Collins always struck me as an affable guy. I think people are missing the self deprecating humor in his (probably very off hand) comments here. I don't think he was taking himself seriously -- quite the opposite.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 7, 2011 05:59

Phil Is very perceptive.
He says no one is going to miss him and people are sick of his music.
...Well Phil, you said it, so I guess no one else has to.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 7, 2011 06:05

The one you really need ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 7, 2011 07:43

Cruel twist of fate here: he can't do what he used to do best, i.e., playing the drums like a monster!

A more fitting way out would have been for him to retire from being a frontman and stick to doing selected session gigs, solely as a drummer, for his pals.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 7, 2011 14:39

rebelrebel
I wasn't much of a fan of his solo work but he was a brilliant drummer. He seems to have a very accurate understanding of how he is perceived I must say. His comments on the music industry echo what Bowie said some years ago and I can well understand them. Good luck to him; I hope he finds other things to give him a happy retirement.

Agree. I never really liked Genesis and similarly his solo stuff didn't do much for me, but there's no doubting his skills as a drummer. I don't know if he isn't a little 'morose sounding' to be honest, but sad to say, he's probably 'not that far off the mark' in how he's perceived these days ?

But nevertheless, to read something like this is indeed sad ........

The songwriter also claims that listeners have grown "sick" of him and that there is no longer a place for him in the current music scene.

"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'," Collins says in an interview with FHM magazine.

"I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.

One can only wish him well and hope that whatever he chooses to do with his life from hereon is rewarding and fulfilling and gives him what he wants and needs.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: March 7, 2011 15:13

skipstone

The mutual hatred boiling just under the surface is palpable.

Date: March 7, 2011 15:24

"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'," Collins says in an interview with FHM magazine.

"I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.

What the hell? Phil sees Lady Gaga get hatched out of an egg wearing a meat suit and he has an epiphany? "I can't do this anymore" he says to himself. "I can't compete with this". Who says he has to compete with it? Why can't he just do the music he wants to do the way he wants to do it? If no one buys it, so what? It's like, if he's not "WINNING!", he won't even bother to play the game. Maybe a lot of older artists really do feel this way. It's just that I've never heard any of them express it quite so directly. Yes, it's sad.

Date: March 7, 2011 15:31

tatters

What the hell? Phil sees Lady Gaga get hatched out of an egg wearing a meat suit and he has an epiphany? "I can't do this anymore" he says to himself. "I can't compete with this". Who says he has to compete with it? Why can't he just do the music he wants to do the way he wants to do it? If no one buys it, so what? It's like, if he's not "WINNING!", he won't even bother to play the game. Maybe a lot of older artists really do feel this way. It's just that I've never heard any of them express it quite so directly. Yes, it's sad.

Well, I think his comments are partly fuelled by his own physical deterioration, that's possibly why what he says sounds so downbeat and morose. Maybe FHM caught him on a particularly bad day, I dunno. Anyway, there's no disputing it's all tinged with sadness, but I partly agree with you ... why would you 'want' to compete with the likes of Lady Gaga, and given that you're a 60 year old Phil Collins, 'how' on earth would you ? Fair points you make.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 7, 2011 15:35

Woody24
Elmo Lewis
Our prayers have been answered!

You have very strange, hateful prayers indeed.

Nah, I'm a nice guy - just got burned out on Phil's boring brand of music in the 80's.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 7, 2011 15:37

Great front man for Genesis in his time. Never saw him solo but I imagine he was just as good, apart from the pop pap material.

Been listening to the Reunion Show with Peter Gabriel from 1982 recently. Now that was a hard front man to follow but he did it.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 7, 2011 15:58

As a die-hard fan of old Genesis, I will always "hate" him. Don't care at all for his solo stuff.

The guy has a pretty good sense of humor and all this could be only that, a funny way of calling a day. He's also a zillioner so he doesn't need the money. The best of luck Phil and no, I wont miss your music but hope you get plenty playing time with your children.

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: March 7, 2011 16:50

Genesis with Gabriel up front was a rock band with prog intentions.

Genesis with Phil up front was a pop band cranking out hits for the masses.

This is why Peter left, because Phil wanted more to do more commercially accepted material instead of being an artist.

Guess which version I liked.

Sounds like he's getting to be a bitter old man.

If he really wanted to go off quietly why did he even do the interview?

Date: March 7, 2011 17:21

Yeah, but even Gabriel's solo stuff became more and more commercial. I like Phil and Peter both, the prog stuff and the pop stuff. It's all good.

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 17:35

Was never a big fan but I also felt remorse when I read the article. All the best to you Phil.

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: March 7, 2011 17:37

tatters
Yeah, but even Gabriel's solo stuff became more and more commercial. I like Phil and Peter both, the prog stuff and the pop stuff. It's all good.

Funny thing about that too. Peter's stuff became more commercial only after he cleaned up from riding the horse. What does that say about drugs and creativity? Or was it that he was approaching middle age and like so many other artists his best stuff was created while he was young.

Is it the drugs or the youth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 17:38 by Strider.

Date: March 7, 2011 17:46

tatters
Phil sees Lady Gaga get hatched out of an egg wearing a meat suit and he has an epiphany? "I can't do this anymore" he says to himself. "I can't compete with this". Who says he has to compete with it? Why can't he just do the music he wants to do the way he wants to do it? If no one buys it, so what? It's like, if he's not "WINNING!", he won't even bother to play the game. Maybe a lot of older artists really do feel this way. It's just that I've never heard any of them express it quite so directly. Yes, it's sad.

That's what's so funny about that mentality - music is NOT a competition. It never has been, it never will be.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: March 7, 2011 17:56

skipstone
tatters
Phil sees Lady Gaga get hatched out of an egg wearing a meat suit and he has an epiphany? "I can't do this anymore" he says to himself. "I can't compete with this". Who says he has to compete with it? Why can't he just do the music he wants to do the way he wants to do it? If no one buys it, so what? It's like, if he's not "WINNING!", he won't even bother to play the game. Maybe a lot of older artists really do feel this way. It's just that I've never heard any of them express it quite so directly. Yes, it's sad.

That's what's so funny about that mentality - music is NOT a competition. It never has been, it never will be.

And if you don't like that, you're not where you should be. He should be proud with a classic single of reasonable quality. Not very many have that.

Date: March 7, 2011 17:59

For not being so liked he sure did have a lot of success. That has to mean something.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 18:01

Pretty honest self evaluation of ones self isn't it ? I like his honesty and I don't hate the guy. Maybe just maybe the Stones should take the hint from him.

Date: March 7, 2011 18:44

headly123
Pretty honest self evaluation of ones self isn't it ? I like his honesty and I don't hate the guy. Maybe just maybe the Stones should take the hint from him.

Maybe just maybe the Stones should take the hint from him

Wondered when a comment like that would appear ........ winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1418
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home