Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Phil Collins Retires From Music
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 7, 2011 18:49

His last few albums were shocking though.

The man sounds like he's lost all of his confidence.

But he has plenty of money to enjoy in his retirement....

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 7, 2011 19:35

Was really hoping for a reunion tour with Gabriel.

I liked the first several 'Collins' era albums, but they took a radical turn towards pop with "then there were 3". Could've done without that and most that followed.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: March 7, 2011 20:06

Not to bust your bubble PAULYWAUL but my favorite band hasbn't been relevant in 20 years or so. You can argue they made CD's but the trutgh be told the on people who bought them were die hard fans. The general public didn't really give a shit. Yes they went to the shows but even at the end they weren't seeling out all of them . So yes I think maybe they could take a hint from Phil .

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 7, 2011 21:11

I was also hoping for a full reunion after Banks, Rutherford, Hackett, Collins and Gabriel re-recorded Carpet Crawlers in 1999 and released that great box set.

Anyways, he was one HELL of a drummer back in the day...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 8, 2011 14:37

Phil Collins has said that he does not plan to retire from music.

Speculation over whether the popstar would stop performing and recording hit the web after his recent interview with FHM.

In the interview, Collins said: "It feels like a good time to stop for a while... I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

However, Collins's representative has now told People: "He is not, has no intention of, retiring."

The singer underwent surgery last year to treat nerve damage to his left hand.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2011 16:29

Elmo Lewis
Woody24
Elmo Lewis
Our prayers have been answered!

You have very strange, hateful prayers indeed.

Nah, I'm a nice guy - just got burned out on Phil's boring brand of music in the 80's.

Just read the article - I want to apologize - didn't know Phil had health issues. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

That said, I'm not gonna miss his music very much (although I did like a couple of songs - "Misunderstanding", "In The Air Tonight", etc.).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-08 16:30 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 8, 2011 16:38

tatters
Yeah, but even Gabriel's solo stuff became more and more commercial.

Really? Like what?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 8, 2011 17:03

leteyer
tatters

Really? Like what?

Like "Sledgehammer", "Big Time", and "Steam" to name just a few. Any of those would not have been out of place on any of the latter-day Genesis albums.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 8, 2011 17:31

This one is always good. Although the original with Gabriel and Steve Hackett was better.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 8, 2011 18:43

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 15:52 by vudicus.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 8, 2011 18:47

sweetcharmedlife
This one is always good. Although the original with Gabriel and Steve Hackett was better.

Steve Hackett was on the original but Peter Gabriel was not. IT's from Trick of the Tail, the first post-Gabriel album.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 8, 2011 18:52

jamesfdouglas
sweetcharmedlife

Steve Hackett was on the original but Peter Gabriel was not. IT's from Trick of the Tail, the first post-Gabriel album.
Ok,I got the album,but thought Gabriel was on it for some reason.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 8, 2011 19:33

Phil Collins wrote and recorded some absolutly brilliant pop fluff for quite awhile.

Whether you like that or not is a matter of taste but he was on a Paul McCartney and Elton John level as far as producing mass appealing records.

But, what happened to him? Since the mid 90s he has gotten worse and worse. Do you lose the ability to make those jingly pop type songs with age? Or is it the fate of trying to run with the trends and second guess what people will buy?

Anyway he had a good run and whatever you think of music like that I've always enjoyed his voice and thought he was a good singer.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: March 8, 2011 19:48

@#$%& all of y'all Phil Genesis haters....I for one am sad about this and will miss him dearly...

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 8, 2011 20:55

I've got a terrible feeling he's on a mental illness path. Suicide could be a real threat

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 9, 2011 02:11

He plays Grestch!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 04:54

Sad. But Phil is way too hard on himself. A guilty pleasure indeed.
Its amazing to remember how huge he was. This guy had a hit every year from 80-90 (?)
Not a fan of the Gabriel Genesis. I prefered the affable balding guy with the pop flair.
In spite of his fluffy, poppy persona, his best songs, solo and Genesis, always had tinges of meloncholy and sadness, like someone who can't get over a lost love. But it wasn't trite, the lyrics and melodies had a real soulfulness to them. They sounded rooted in real emotions.
It's the South Park guys' fault. Bastards.

Two of my favorite Phil songs and damn if they don't get to me still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 04:55 by stupidguy2.

Date: March 9, 2011 05:30

stupidguy2
Sad. But Phil is way too hard on himself. A guilty pleasure indeed.
Its amazing to remember how huge he was. This guy had a hit every year from 80-90 (?)

Between 1984 and 1990, Phil scored thirteen CONSECUTIVE Top 10 hits in the United States, including SEVEN #1 hits. In addition, Invisible Touch, the 1986 Genesis album, yielded five Top 5 singles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 05:35 by tatters.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: March 9, 2011 05:45

andy js
I've got a terrible feeling he's on a mental illness path. Suicide could be a real threat

He should be ok as long as he avoids listening to his own records.

Date: March 9, 2011 08:33

tatters
leteyer
tatters

Really? Like what?

Like "Sledgehammer", "Big Time", and "Steam" to name just a few. Any of those would not have been out of place on any of the latter-day Genesis albums.

thats just a perfect stars lining up deal. what peter happened to do at the moment had a sound that the mainstream radio would touch. if the did those songs in the late 70's or late 90's no one would have cared about them and they probably wouldn't have been huge hits

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 9, 2011 09:14

Genesis three gems...let's forget about the rest...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 9, 2011 16:06

Collins has confirmed his retirement, but says he is not "a tormented weirdo".

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 16:09 by tatters.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 9, 2011 16:34

Come On

Genesis three gems...let's forget about the rest...

what's the matter with Wind And Weathering?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 9, 2011 16:58

1) U2 dissing Phil Collins is totally ridiculous, it takes one to know one - one could say.

2) I don't like Phil's music, but after reading the article I feel very sorry for him - it's awful - not being able to do the things one loves...

3) every time there's a party going on at my place, i put on this:

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:38

from the BBC

Phil Collins confirms retirement

British singer and drummer Phil Collins has confirmed reports he is to retire from the music business.

"I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis," he wrote on his website.

His decision, he said, was not down to "dodgy reviews", "bad treatment in the press" or "because I don't feel loved".

Collins' announcement was in response to a series of "distorted" articles that had erroneously painted him as "a tormented weirdo", he added.

"There's no need for the straitjacket!" joked the 60-year-old, whose hits include In the Air Tonight and Another Day in Paradise.

A former member of rock band Genesis, Collins went on to achieve huge success as a solo performer, including hit albums as No Jacket Required and ...But Seriously.

The winner of seven Grammy awards was also the recipient of an Academy award for his soundtrack for the Disney animated film Tarzan.

Last year he topped the UK album chart with Going Back, a collection of Motown and soul covers.

The singer has two sons, Nicholas and Matthew, with his third wife Orianne Cevey, whom he divorced in 2008.

Date: March 9, 2011 17:40

tatters
Collins has confirmed his retirement, but says he is not "a tormented weirdo".

[www.bbc.co.uk]
Their are enough of those around here.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 9, 2011 17:51

Strider
This is why Peter left (genesis), because Phil wanted more to do more commercially accepted material instead of being an artist.

I don't thinkl you have this right at all. It's pretty well documented that Peter left for personal reasons and Phil did not exactly have an equal 'say' in the
band until later.

Date: March 9, 2011 18:00

Strider
Peter's stuff became more commercial only after he cleaned up from riding the horse.

With respect, I don't think this is right either. I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan and I have never read anything about him being an H addict. As a matter of fact he has a reputation of being pretty straight. Where is this documented?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:01

TippyToe
andy js

He should be ok as long as he avoids listening to his own records.

Post of the week. smileys with beer

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:44

Amused
1) U2 dissing Phil Collins is totally ridiculous, it takes one to know one - one could say.

2) I don't like Phil's music, but after reading the article I feel very sorry for him - it's awful - not being able to do the things one loves...

3) every time there's a party going on at my place, i put on this:

First off, it was Paddy or whatever his name was, the bartender, that dissed Phil. Bono did not diss Phil. Of all people, Bono loves pop music - why would he diss Phil?

Are you being sarcastic about your number 3?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home