Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Honky Tonk Women
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:51

...'One more cup of coffee 'fore I go.
To the valley below.

'

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:59

There is a mono version of this song that really has a superior sound due to the mix. Is it on Time Trax 1 perhaps?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:01

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:16

..Honky Tonkin'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 1, 2011 20:29

DiscoVolante
Mathijs
cc
Mathijs
And, there's something else that never felt right: Charlie's drumming in the intro and first verse. To me, it lacks his famous swing. It's a bit butch, pounding just a tad too hard. For years I have doubt it actually is Charlie and Jimmy Miller instead. I still feel awkward about it.

DiscoVolante
One thing that can be said about Honky Tonk Women is that it's one of Charlie Watt's best performances. That intro where he just seems to fall in is brilliant in its own simplicity and the beat that follows is precise as a heartbeat.

can someone address this conflict?

Sure no conflict, just my opinion. I find the same with Jigsaw Puzzle and Let it Bleed. These tracks also have a less-than-normal swinging Watts in my opinion.

Mathijs
I think Keith mentions something about Honky Tonk Women in Life how Charlie really shines on that track. Not that it really matters when discussing taste but its worth adding that detail.

yes, but saying that it's a track where charlie shines and where he doesn't play like he usually he does are not necessarily different... in other words, keith may agree with Mathijs that it's not charlie's usual style on "HTW," but that the elements that disappoint Mathijs are actually what keith would prefer all the time. Think of how he'd go on about charlie if he played that way more often!

but actually, I think it's probably just that keith is going along with the conventional opinion there--since everyone remembers that opening drum beat, so does keith.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2011 10:36

cc
DiscoVolante
Mathijs
cc
Mathijs
And, there's something else that never felt right: Charlie's drumming in the intro and first verse. To me, it lacks his famous swing. It's a bit butch, pounding just a tad too hard. For years I have doubt it actually is Charlie and Jimmy Miller instead. I still feel awkward about it.

DiscoVolante
One thing that can be said about Honky Tonk Women is that it's one of Charlie Watt's best performances. That intro where he just seems to fall in is brilliant in its own simplicity and the beat that follows is precise as a heartbeat.

can someone address this conflict?

Sure no conflict, just my opinion. I find the same with Jigsaw Puzzle and Let it Bleed. These tracks also have a less-than-normal swinging Watts in my opinion.

Mathijs
I think Keith mentions something about Honky Tonk Women in Life how Charlie really shines on that track. Not that it really matters when discussing taste but its worth adding that detail.

yes, but saying that it's a track where charlie shines and where he doesn't play like he usually he does are not necessarily different... in other words, keith may agree with Mathijs that it's not charlie's usual style on "HTW," but that the elements that disappoint Mathijs are actually what keith would prefer all the time. Think of how he'd go on about charlie if he played that way more often!

but actually, I think it's probably just that keith is going along with the conventional opinion there--since everyone remembers that opening drum beat, so does keith.

And maybe Keith is refereing to the sound of Charlie -it is a Jimmy Miller masterpiece soundwise.

Mathijs

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 3, 2011 01:49

The song is absolutely one of their best - I am not and never have been really impressed with the live versions. The drums NEVER sound right!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 03:04

71Tele
It's perfect, of course.

The main guitar part is brilliant. Alchemy. Beyond great...and I still can't f'n play it the same as the record!

Agree. This song was probably the first song where felt the groove of Keith's playing. Its completely rhythmic, syncopated and primal, almost like its just an extension of Keith's body....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 4, 2015 23:56

Released today in 1969. What was the 'A' side?

Advert from International Times.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: July 5, 2015 02:04

A classic!

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: July 5, 2015 02:39

I was about 10 years of age when I heard this the first time while lying in bed listening to the radio around 1974. That guitar stood out like a light in the darkend room. I remember thinking... wow, there's something extra special about that lick and timing. Especially and in particular, Keiths part.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: July 5, 2015 02:52

Note that it's Honky Tonk Women. Occasionally shows up on releases / set lists as Honky Tonk Woman

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 06:13

slew
The song is absolutely one of their best - I am not and never have been really impressed with the live versions. The drums NEVER sound right!

LOVE YOU LIVE - supreme. Thousand times better than the studio version.

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: July 5, 2015 10:26

It's one of their best in a long string of singles, and it was their last one that made it to No. 1 in the UK and in the US. Keith Richard's intro is such an absolute smash and I think that most guitar players in the blues rock section were downright impressed. If I made a list with the best intros in the world, Honky Tonk Women would be amongst the very best. I wouldn't even be surprised if it went to No. 1. Honky Tonk Women is a total classic, no doubt about it ....

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 5, 2015 10:53

Shimmering brilliance. I well remember in Perth, this seemed to hold onto the number one position on the singles charts for what seemed forever. Just nonchalant execution of a superbly crafted moody single. Love it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 12:45

GasLightStreet
slew

LOVE YOU LIVE - supreme. Thousand times better than the studio version.

smileys with beer Yes that is the best one.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 12:48

rocker1

The previous posting of the video above reminds me that there's a little fill that Keith played nearly every time on the 75-76 versions of HTW that I've never heard him play on any other tours before or since. It's the simplest thing, but I absolutely love it.

You can hear it in this video at the 1:22 - 1:25 mark, right after Keith joins Jagger for the chorus. It's about 8 notes, and it's just a cool little fill. And most versions from 75-76 have this little fill after the chorus. At one time I recorded this little snippet (from a '75 show, I think) back-to-back, over and over, making myself about a 5-minute long tape of just this short 8-note segment over and over.

(I've done that for so many parts of so many Stones songs that people must think I'm nuts, just listening to one little bit over and over...but I like it!)

That little segment is brilliant. One of my favorites.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: July 5, 2015 16:24

cc
asinandalie
I love HTW and gets me going each morning alongside my coffee.

are you saying you listen to it every day? Wow...

I also listen to HTW every day & play along with it. It gets me going every time.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 5, 2015 17:01

kammpberg
Note that it's Honky Tonk Women. Occasionally shows up on releases / set lists as Honky Tonk Woman

...constantly on the ZIP Code Tour setlists, btw.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: July 5, 2015 19:37

Redhotcarpet-Thanks for posting that video which I had not seen. That has long been my favorite version of HTW. Great to see the video.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 5, 2015 19:50

Don't know if this has been mentioned here but I distinctly remember reading that the famous intro chords to this tune weren't the original intro but played as a counterpoint to some other chords. Something like the main guitar track was muted during a playback session and the counterpoint guitar we are all so familiar with was all of a sudden standing out there alone and everyone realized "that's it". They found the perfect "less is more" intro quite by mistake! I think I read this in the context of Taylor doing his overdubs on the song, perhaps from Taylor or Jimmy Miller, but I may be wrong.

Anybody else remember reading this about the creation of HTW?

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: July 5, 2015 20:08

HTW is the first Stones song I remember...summer of '69 and my late brother borrowed it from a friend...I can still see the 45 revolving on the turntable with a greenish/blue London records label...I was eight years old.

Interesting to note that on the Stones in the Park movie...when they play HTW live for the first time ever, the film shows MT playing and he is playing the intro riff (not the straight open G dyad but the bending riff just prior to the vocals)...can't see what KR is playing but I was very surprised to see this, and makes me wonder who played what in the studio. It's common knowledge that the track was almost complete when MT joined them to do some overdubs...but the Stones in the Park footage made me wonder!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 20:58

Redhotcarpet
rocker1

The previous posting of the video above reminds me that there's a little fill that Keith played nearly every time on the 75-76 versions of HTW that I've never heard him play on any other tours before or since. It's the simplest thing, but I absolutely love it.

You can hear it in this video at the 1:22 - 1:25 mark, right after Keith joins Jagger for the chorus. It's about 8 notes, and it's just a cool little fill. And most versions from 75-76 have this little fill after the chorus. At one time I recorded this little snippet (from a '75 show, I think) back-to-back, over and over, making myself about a 5-minute long tape of just this short 8-note segment over and over.

(I've done that for so many parts of so many Stones songs that people must think I'm nuts, just listening to one little bit over and over...but I like it!)

He sort of does it on the Hampton version. It's a little turn around lick that totally fits. It's a great little twist on LOVE YOU LIVE for sure.

On the URBAN JUNGLE tour boot July 7 it sounds like Ronnie playing it!

The New Orleans VOODOO boot I have Keith kind of does it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 5, 2015 21:30

GasLightStreet
Redhotcarpet
rocker1

He sort of does it on the Hampton version. It's a little turn around lick that totally fits. It's a great little twist on LOVE YOU LIVE for sure.

On the URBAN JUNGLE tour boot July 7 it sounds like Ronnie playing it!

The New Orleans VOODOO boot I have Keith kind of does it.

I love it when people point out little things like that, it's the smallest stuff like this that get me excited about music. Thanks rocker1.

I've always enjoyed hearing Keith playing the HTW licks solo in this warmup clip too. Such a classic Stones riff and sound, you immediately know it's Keith and although just about anybody who plays guitar can replicate it, it is never quite like Keith.

What guitar did Keith use to record Honky Tonk Women?
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 9, 2019 07:43

It sounds like a Telecaster but I didn't see him playing one until the early 70's. Could it have been his black '57 Les Paul Custom? Or the Dan Armstrong plexiglass? Or maybe the Maton Supreme he used for some songs on "Let It Bleed"?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 19:27 by TornAndFried.

Re: What guitar did Keith use to record Honky Tonk Woman?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 9, 2019 10:19

I'm far from sure but I would suspect the LP Custom.

[ As for it "sounding like a Tele"... the ebony fretboard on LP Customs can give a bit more of a percussive snap when compared to Gibsons with a Rosewood board.]

Date: April 9, 2019 11:11

Richards used the Gibson ES-330 in the studio a lot, and the sound of this guitar through a HiWatt Dr-103 on Hyde Park sounds very much like the sound of the studio Honky Tonk Women and the 1969 version of Loving Cup. My best guess would be the Gibson ES-330.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2019 12:24

I bow to your greater wisdom in this stuff Mathijs .smiling smiley

Doesn't sound like a true hollow body to me...but I'm not very good at identifying guitars through the amps they used around that time .

Do you think he used the Hi Watt in the studio as well ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 12:41 by Spud.

Date: April 9, 2019 14:58

Spud
I bow to your greater wisdom in this stuff Mathijs .smiling smiley

Doesn't sound like a true hollow body to me...but I'm not very good at identifying guitars through the amps they used around that time .

Do you think he used the Hi Watt in the studio as well ?

Yes, I believe it is the ES-330/HiWatt combination he used for HTW. There's pictures that show the guitar and amp in the studio, he used it at Hyde Park, and the Es-330 for the David Frost show as well.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2019 15:34

smiling smiley I'll enjoy having a renewed listen with that in mind .

Never owned one but I have always admired Hi-Watt amps.

Different sound.. but one thing they share with Fender tweed type amps is a fantastically characterful clean to crunch sound.

A sound that preserves all the dynamics & clarity but with an "attitude" that doesn't need loads of overdrive to achieve.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home