Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chuck Leavell interview - November 15
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 16, 2013 00:36

From a wide-ranging conversation, posted by The Celebrity Cafe:

Rolling Stones' keyboardist Chuck Leavell talks music, trees, family and Mother Nature Network

By Tina Henry, 11/15/2013

TCC:.... You've not only been the keyboardist for the Rolling Stones for the past 31 years, you've also been dubbed their "unofficial" music director. Are they ever going to change that to official?

(Both laugh)

CL: You know what? Actually, in the last program they included that title so they finally acquiesced.

TCC: Good, it's about time.

(Both laugh)

TCC: Mick has said that you are a quite talented arranger as well as a historian for the band, and Keith Richards was quoted as saying, "Without the continuity that Chuck Leavell brings to us, the Stones would not be the Stones." How does that make you feel?

CL: Well, wonderful. A lot of that goes back to my relationship with Ian Stewart. Stu was very much like a big brother to me when I first came in the band. He immediately welcomed me, he pushed for me to be in the band and encouraged the other guys to include me. When we were touring, Stu and I were constant companions and we just got to be very close. I think, especially from Keith's perspective, because Stu played that wonderful boogie-woogie style on some of those classic records that the band did early on, and I learned a lot of that style from Stu and so, Keith sees me... I think that's what he means in his statement about continuity, that Stu sort of lives on with what I learned from him and what I can bring to the table.

And then with Mick, it's a lot of time spent together working on set lists, a lot of time talking about the entire presentation from beginning to end, how we can make a set flow and make it work and make it enjoyable for us as well as the audience, to put the iconic songs in the right places and still leave room for a little bit of experimentation and some lesser known material that the hardcore fans want to hear.

And then, of course, that relationship extends to Charlie and to Ronnie and it's just an honor to have the seat and, obviously, since 1982, and I did come into the band at that time, the role has escalated as time goes on and it's just a real pleasure to still be here and to have the role be stronger than it was in the beginning.

TCC: I saw you and the Stones in '89, I believe it was, in Los Angeles at the Steel Wheels tour.

CL: Yeah! That was to me a very strong sort of landmark era for the band. It was important that we come out and reestablish the validity and ... to be recrowned in some ways, if you know what I mean. There had been a number of years that there had been no tours, since 1982. There had been the two records in between and then, Steel Wheels being the third record in that era and the band knew and understood it needed to be a really strong album, really strong record, good songs, but, even more importantly, when they decided to embark on a tour, it was important that we really explore the catalog, and that's when, for me, it was a bit of a turnaround. That's when I began to really take a lot of notes on every rehearsal, every night that we rehearsed, what we did, any changes in the arrangements we might make, and documenting all of this and... so that I could quickly reference and answer any questions that the guys had. I think that's when my role as unofficial musical director may have begun, because I think they depended on me... that role to perform those things. And then... from then on subsequent tours, it got even stronger.

[thecelebritycafe.com]

Re: Chuck Leavell interview - November 15
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 16, 2013 00:55

Chuck is a big fan of Chuck...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 16, 2013 00:58

You'll hear no Chuck bashing from me, other then, keep him below the guitars in the mix.

Thanks for the post.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 16, 2013 01:51

And quit turning darkly dramatic songs like Midnight Rambler into plinkety-plink upbeat numbers. He doesn't stand out in a good way. I don't find myself seeking out his piano when I'm listening to the group. But when he's totally inappropriate it really sticks out. Maybe his playing with the group changed over time to where he thinks his playing is more important that it really is. It's kind of sad that they've aged so much that they have to depend on someone like Chuck to get by.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:00

Wheres ALO when you really need him?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:07

During the show I saw this year (Boston 2), there was a moment where I thought of the Chuck-haters (or, at the very least, detractors) here on the forum.

Chuck was doing a piano solo during one of the rocking numbers, and I was watching him play it on one of the big monitors above the stage. At the end of the solo, he lifted his right leg and dropped the bottom of his shoe on the high end of the keyboard for the final note, displaying that trademark grin as he did so.

I thought, 'Oh, there are some people on IORR who would just be completely beside themselves if they saw that.'

If you'll pardon the pun, the thought did give me a bit of a chuckle.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:19

He does that at Hyde Park as well, at least I'm sure I saw it in the film from those two concerts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 02:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:23

stonehearted
During the show I saw this year (Boston 2), there was a moment where I thought of the Chuck-haters (or, at the very least, detractors) here on the forum.

Chuck was doing a piano solo during one of the rocking numbers, and I was watching him play it on one of the big monitors above the stage. At the end of the solo, he lifted his right leg and dropped the bottom of his shoe on the high end of the keyboard for the final note, displaying that trademark grin as he did so.

I thought, 'Oh, there are some people on IORR who would just be completely beside themselves if they saw that.'

I was at the same concert - Good thing I was on Keith's side.

BTW - Stonehearted as you know that concert was officially recorded (Cameras were present). I wonder if anything will materialize of the footage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 02:27 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:26

24FPS
And quit turning darkly dramatic songs like Midnight Rambler into plinkety-plink upbeat numbers. He doesn't stand out in a good way. I don't find myself seeking out his piano when I'm listening to the group. But when he's totally inappropriate it really sticks out. Maybe his playing with the group changed over time to where he thinks his playing is more important that it really is. It's kind of sad that they've aged so much that they have to depend on someone like Chuck to get by.

thumbs up +1

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:36

Chris Fountain
stonehearted

I was at the same concert - Good thing I was on Keith's side.

BTW - Stonehearted as you know that concert was officially recorded (Cameras were present). I wonder if anything will materialize of the footage.

Yes, I was on Ronnie's side of the stage and so was looking that moment at the monitor at audience left.

The reason they have cameras on hand for pro-shots is for the video monitor feed above the stage. It was the same way for the Who concert I saw at the same venue last year.

I don't think they are intended for commercial release--like for Shine A Light, where Martin Scorsese's desire to capture full detail and close-ups became an issue for Jagger in terms of their intrusive presence--however, The Who made available for online purchase a live DVD as well as live CD for every concert they played on their Endless Wire tour.

But I doubt The Stones have any plans for the footage other than for archival purposes. It would be a great momento though to have a live DVD of the show(s) you attended.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:40

Beast
24FPS

thumbs up +1

smileys with beer

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:51

Reading that section about the Steel Wheels tour, all I could think of was...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 16, 2013 04:52

Any idiot can raise pine trees. I'm tired of reading about them. I have a few fruit trees and they are lot more trickier

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 16, 2013 08:55

I was working a big shot fund raiser thing tonight where Chuck was honored (somewhat related to this article I believe) as well as entertaining the stuffed shirt crowd. He was doing a sound check while we were setting up -- say what you want -- this boy can play. He did some boogie boogie, "Down the Road a Piece," and "No One Knows You When You're Down and Out" and later for the audience also included "Statesboro Blues." He seemed to really enjoy playing for us working stiffs and I say we gave him a lot more than the 400 fat cats. I loved listening to him, love what he is doing to raise environmental awareness, and he struck me as real gentleman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 08:56 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:56

stonehearted

He does that every time he plays Honky Tonk Women. Tired.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:17

Chuck could have learnt from Stu than an acoustic grand piano sounds much better than the electric stuff he plays

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:40

Any idiot can raise pine trees

....Hey Yeah but Pinetarsol is a good thang .........If ya got a bit of sensitive skin

ROCKMAN

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:54

So the guy has pelayed with the biggest names around for decades, is concerned about environment and looks like a true nice and humble fellow. Besides, our beloved Stones trust him as musical director and is well known that he tries to include some rarities in the set-lists to mix things a bit as many demand.

Honestly, sometimes I don't get why ther is so much hate for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 12:55 by milio77.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 16, 2013 13:00

Maybe people think that he is responsible of the lack of attitude and wildnesss in RS music during last decades. He has turned sloppy R&R group in a smart music comercial machine. Where is the guitar driven sound that ruled RS music since 1968 to 1982????

Date: November 16, 2013 13:13

KeithNacho
Maybe people think that he is responsible of the lack of attitude and wildnesss in RS music during last decades. He has turned sloppy R&R group in a smart music comercial machine. Where is the guitar driven sound that ruled RS music since 1968 to 1982????
smileys with beer

Date: November 16, 2013 13:15

I understand that point but seriously... ¿Do we really think that happened against the band's will?

On the other hand, I have no problems with their actual sound. After all, I don't think the "Vegas era" (as many call these last two decades) diverts than much from the golden years. Background singers? Lot of keyboards? Horn section? That's what you find in "Exile on Main St." also.

But to each his own. Everyone's free not to like Chuck and express so of course. But him being musical director and all, I don't think he's got the last word about the course the band takes. Or at least I don't picture him overtaking Mick and/or Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 13:16 by milio77.

Date: November 16, 2013 13:39

milio77
I understand that point but seriously... ¿Do we really think that happened against the band's will?

On the other hand, I have no problems with their actual sound. After all, I don't think the "Vegas era" (as many call these last two decades) diverts than much from the golden years. Background singers? Lot of keyboards? Horn section? That's what you find in "Exile on Main St." also.

But to each his own. Everyone's free not to like Chuck and express so of course. But him being musical director and all, I don't think he's got the last word about the course the band takes. Or at least I don't picture him overtaking Mick and/or Keith.
He does count off the tempo to every song. I noticed on "Sweet Summer Sun" that everything seems slow. This from the band that used to play every song like it was a race to the finish. More on "Sweet Summer" later. I want to watch it again before I write a review to be fair. The initial viewing left me seriously underwhelmed for the most part. Not all of my issues are with the Stones. I enjoyed Glastonbury on YouTube much more. & I think Chuck seems like a cool guy. Just wrong for this band. Maybe if they lowered him in the mix it would help.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 16, 2013 13:56

THoroughly nice bloke is our Chuck, and his work with the Allmans is beautiful. Unfortunatly I don't like his work with the Stones, it doesn't gel, a classic example is his intro on Sympathy - just awful and gives the song whole different feel. I have no doubt he is an extraordinarily talented musical arranger but give me the old Hopkins/Mac/Stu approach any day. As others have mentioned, he needs lowering in the mix and let the guitars do what they do. We are stuck with him as the band seem to like him and so be it.

Date: November 16, 2013 14:51

crholmstrom

He does count off the tempo to every song. I noticed on "Sweet Summer Sun" that everything seems slow. This from the band that used to play every song like it was a race to the finish.

Yes, but the boys are around 70 now, Keith has arthritis... Probably that's why the tempos are slower. After all, there are a few songs in which Keith marks the tempos. Take JJF for instance, which is also lower than it used to be in the last tours. I mean, I can agree that Chuck could be lower in the mix in certain moments, but that doesn't make him guilty for the Stones getting older.

And anyway, my point is that any decision power he has inside the Stones I guess it must be with at least Jagger's and Ricards' consent...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 16, 2013 14:53

I agree: Chuck's work on the deluxe Brothers & Sisters, and Wipe The Windows is excellent. His fusion material with Sea Level is also pretty good, and his playing on 24 Nights and Unplugged with Clapton is great.

I think the Stones are a guitar band, and, in some instances, Chuck upsets this balance. I happen to quite like him in the Stones, more so than Matt Clifford in 1990 on the Urban Jungle tour. I always thought there were far too many musicians on the stage circa 89/90, in contrast to Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: November 16, 2013 15:00

KeithNacho

It's absolutely insane to believe Chuck is responsible for that.

Date: November 16, 2013 15:03

His Majesty
He does that at Hyde Park as well, at least I'm sure I saw it in the film from those two concerts.

He started that in 1994, only it was Keith finishing his piano solo on HTW, inclufing the end kick smiling smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 16, 2013 22:40

I am as big a 70's era Allmans fan you can find. I simply love Chuck and Dickey on Brothers and Sisters and their live work.... I find it hard to believe he's so mediocre in The Stones but he is. He is no way as appropriate as, Stu, Nicky, Ian or Billy. Some of the best keyboard playing on 50 counting is done by the second sax guy on B-3 who's an inspired musician but his name goes by me right now. Adding Al Kooper on B-3 and putting Chuck on a real piano would be my idea.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 17, 2013 00:06

DandelionPowderman
it was Keith finishing his piano solo

Absolutely correct

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2013 20:26

"A lot of that goes back to my relationship with Ian Stewart"

Damn I was expecting that one... smoking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home