Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones in '76 - An Appreciation!
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 13:16

One of the very first bootlegs I ever got was the film of the Stones in Paris, 1976. The 50-minute TV special (at that time I didn't have the second part of that special, just the first 50 minute version). Jagger's "singing" on some tracks took a lot of getting used to, especially after seeing the great performances on 'Ladies and Gents 1972'

Over the years I've come to love the 1975 and 1976 tours; the Live audio's sound mostly excellent to me. Kickstarted maybe by 'L.A. Friday' official release last year; and going back to re-discover the DVD of one of the L.A. Forum dates, and also the full Paris 1976 (2 TV specials, and the full uncut show)

CD's like 'Vive Le France' from the June show, and 'Hot August Night' from Knebworth recently; I love the interplay between Keith and Ronnie. Bill and Charlie are exceptionally good also and the band is just grooving! Mick's singing on some tracks takes a little bit away of course but musically 1976 sounds wonderful to me for the most part.

The band look at their most decadent; and album of the time "Black and Blue" is one of my favourites - a melting pot of reggae, funk and cool rock'n'roll.

Re: The Stones in '76 - An Appreciation!
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 28, 2013 14:33

Yep - love the 76 tour. It gets some bad press but I much prefer the Stones looser than the slick stadium rock machine they became from 81 onwards although they have redeemed themselves on this latest tour.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 28, 2013 15:26

1976? A real in-between year for rock-music. I can't even remember what band I were into then....Bowie's Berlin-era maybe....or very much Reggae....

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 28, 2013 20:15

The guitar competencies of the band were on top 75/76, then. Never before and after they played on such a level. It was a real two guitar band with rhythm and lead parts by Ronnie and Keith. Incidentally Ronnie played more elaborate solos than today. Best examples are the great versions of SFTD. I appreciate them more than the version on GYYYO.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 28, 2013 22:17

RobertJohnson
The guitar competencies of the band were on top 75/76, then. Never before and after they played on such a level. It was a real two guitar band with rhythm and lead parts by Ronnie and Keith. Incidentally Ronnie played more elaborate solos than today. Best examples are the great versions of SFTD. I appreciate them more than the version on GYYYO.

I saw them in 1976 at age 21, after having seen them in 1973. I had a perfect place, they were very well visible as well as audible, in a little, cosy stadium in The Hague. It was all rather nice, but although the Stones were still my heroes the concert was the opposite of impressive. A bummer in fact.

The next day I could hear them very clearly through my windows. I lived near that stadium and the weather and wind were favourable, so I could hear them for the second time. Second bummer in fact and it kinda left me cold to hear the Stones play live just being in my own place. A funny experience, nothing more than that.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 28, 2013 22:30

The Stones played in the park in '76 in The Hague, it was a great day with Robin Trower as opener for The stones, and with some new great tracks played from Black And Blue made us dancing, i think that the Black and Blue album at the time was well received.

Date: August 28, 2013 22:34

runaway
The Stones played in the park in '76 in The Hague, it was a great day with Robin Trower as opener for The stones, and with some new great tracks played from Black And Blue made us dancing, i think that the Black and Blue album at the time was well received.

They didn't play in a park, they played in a relatively little football stadium called The Zuiderpark Stadion in The Hague, on May 29 and 30, to be precise.

Date: August 28, 2013 22:40

kleermaker
runaway

They didn't play in a park, they played in a relatively little football stadium called The Zuiderpark Stadion in The Hague, on May 29 and 30, to be precise.

Its called Zuiderpark that means still a park!
When I go see them Stones i don't count the trees!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 28, 2013 22:46

76 was the first time I saw them and so I have a soft spot for that era. I was a teenager and from about 71 the Stones' music had helped me through the difficult years and steered me away from the bad disco music and down a much more exciting musical path. All the songs from that tour and Black and Blue bring back some great memories and even now I love the look of the clothes they wore on that tour!

Date: August 28, 2013 22:51

runaway
kleermaker
runaway

Did you ever see trees in a stadium? It's called Stadium in the first place. I highly doubt you were there.

Date: August 28, 2013 23:03

kleermaker
runaway
kleermaker
runaway

Did you ever see trees in a stadium? It's called Stadium in the first place. I highly doubt you were there.

I don't care about that and you must hav had a great time with Ronnie playing!

Date: August 28, 2013 23:15

runaway
kleermaker
runaway
kleermaker
runaway

I still get a headache when I think of that gig. In 1982 I was so stupid to let my friends persuade me to see the Stones in The Kuip, the Feyenoord stadium, in Rotterdam where I lived and worked at that time. It was the last time I saw them. That says enough.

Date: August 28, 2013 23:40

kleermaker
runaway
kleermaker
runaway
kleermaker
runaway

I still get a headache when I think of that gig. In 1982 I was so stupid to let my friends persuade me to see the Stones in The Kuip, the Feyenoord stadium, in Rotterdam where I lived and worked at that time. It was the last time I saw them. That says enough.

First of all I find the ticket for Zuiderpark its a blue ticket and besides Robin trower, Kokomo was also guests and I did pay f25, for the ticket and hell of course it was a footballstadion, The Stones playing Rotterdam 1982, I went to see them twice, I got a free ticket for one of them, I had a great time with all these great Bands playing, "George Thorogood, J.Geils Band and The Stones.
The stadion was packed and the concrete was moving from the weight of people dancing.
Cheers.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 29, 2013 05:41

I've been to Zuiderpark too.The day when the Angels made some problems.Lots of people were drunk or/and stoned.
Maybe not one of the best, but still a good show.I had fun that night.
Another good gig was Dortmund.76 - yeah !!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:39

I love the 1976 tour, bad singing and all.

I love the addition of all the Black and Blue material, the playing is spot on and for me, Charlie is at his absolute peak here. I love his playing on this tour. Just listen to the groove and fills on "Honky Tonk Woman" on Love You Live.

After 1969/1970, 1975/1976 is my favorite era.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 12:48

vudicus

I love the addition of all the Black and Blue material, the playing is spot on and for me, Charlie is at his absolute peak here. I love his playing on this tour. Just listen to the groove and fills on "Honky Tonk Woman" on Love You Live.

Agreed; I thought the 'Black and Blue' songs worked brilliantly Live - one of my favourite Stones live moments is Mick and Keith around the same micrphone, grooving to 'Hot Stuff'.

'Black and Blue' is one of my favourite albums anyway; it just sounds so groovy, production is crystal clear, solo on 'Hot Stuff' and 'Hand of Fate' (I know, not Ronnie or Keef) are gorgeous.

The look of the band was also one of their absolute coolest i.m.o.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: August 29, 2013 13:11

Saw them on the opening night of the ´76 tour in Frankfurt. Horrendous, absolutely. Poor Ronnie Wood did his best, but he looked like one of the Faces, acted like one and played like in the Faces - which is great, but just doesn´t suit the Stones. Mick Jagger the reggage soulman, not his best impersonation. Charlie & Bill were solid as usual, but while being the greatest sidemen, they can´t save the whole show if the conductor is asleep. Mr Richards looked like a cadaver and played like one.

But: It was a great night and experience and the audience went wild and ev´rything was "so far-out that it was outtasight, man!"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 29, 2013 13:29

crumbling_mice
76 was the first time I saw them and so I have a soft spot for that era. I was a teenager and from about 71 the Stones' music had helped me through the difficult years and steered me away from the bad disco music and down a much more exciting musical path. All the songs from that tour and Black and Blue bring back some great memories and even now I love the look of the clothes they wore on that tour!

Love the new mouse logo Senor Crumbling.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:11

vudicus

I agree on everything but I have to say after 1972/1973. Partly I prefer 1976 (the B&B stuff, you gotta move, Happy, BS and HTW) and 1975 IYCRM and many more to 1972. That said nothing really beats 1972/1973, it's too brilliant. 1969 was too childish although Keith sounds like he's living inside the guitar. He breathed guitar in 1969, Rambler being the best example.

1. 1972
2. 1973
3. 1975
4. 1977
5. 1969
6. 1976
7. 1978
8. 1981

But the one I love the most is probably 1976. Something about the groove, the sound, the attitude.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:13

The best version of Stray cat blues ever, much better and dirtier than the 1969 version.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:46

runaway
kleermaker
runaway

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:54

Redhotcarpet
The best version of Stray cat blues ever, much better and dirtier than the 1969 version.

That is quite awful really. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 29, 2013 15:19

Redhotcarpet
vudicus

I agree on everything but I have to say after 1972/1973. Partly I prefer 1976 (the B&B stuff, you gotta move, Happy, BS and HTW) and 1975 IYCRM and many more to 1972. That said nothing really beats 1972/1973, it's too brilliant. 1969 was too childish although Keith sounds like he's living inside the guitar. He breathed guitar in 1969, Rambler being the best example.

1. 1972
2. 1973
3. 1975
4. 1977
5. 1969
6. 1976
7. 1978
8. 1981

But the one I love the most is probably 1976. Something about the groove, the sound, the attitude.

What about that grand 1970 tour? Never heard the Essen gig on a bootleg?
To call the 1969 tour "too childish" is weird to me. Such a fantastic tour.

Date: August 29, 2013 15:21

His Majesty
Redhotcarpet

That is quite awful really. tongue sticking out smiley

Messy, in every way yawning smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 30, 2013 12:17

kleermaker
RobertJohnson

I saw them in 1976 at age 21, after having seen them in 1973. I had a perfect place, they were very well visible as well as audible, in a little, cosy stadium in The Hague. It was all rather nice, but although the Stones were still my heroes the concert was the opposite of impressive. A bummer in fact.

The next day I could hear them very clearly through my windows. I lived near that stadium and the weather and wind were favourable, so I could hear them for the second time. Second bummer in fact and it kinda left me cold to hear the Stones play live just being in my own place. A funny experience, nothing more than that.

There is no tour of our fav band without messy gigs ...

Date: August 30, 2013 12:48

RobertJohnson
kleermaker
RobertJohnson

Even though the Ya Yas version of SFTD is incredible, the rest of the 69 versions weren't that strong.

I agree about some of the 75 versions of SFTD being more interesting guitar-wise than most 69 versions.

Date: August 30, 2013 22:37

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
kleermaker
RobertJohnson

Even though the Ya Yas version of SFTD is incredible, the rest of the 69 versions weren't that strong.

I agree about some of the 75 versions of SFTD being more interesting guitar-wise than most 69 versions.

Objection Your Honour!
Here's my proof:

There are certainly some more, and of course more than a couple from the 1970 tour.
Those were the Sympathy For The Devil-days, Your Honour.

Date: August 30, 2013 22:39

I have all of them - and more...

Now, put on all the 75-versions you have winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 30, 2013 22:42

They are all shit compared to the studio version.

Date: August 30, 2013 22:45

That's true. But that doesn't mean that there isn't interesting guitar playing on the 75 versions by BOTH guitarists thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home