Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tongue & Lips trademark becoming more renowned than the Stones themselves?
Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: January 26, 2011 17:47

Has the famous tongue & lips trademark become more famous than the Rolling Stones themselves, and if not, then how long will it be before it does?

More to the point, just how big an influence has this logo been on the band's post-seventies career?

Re: Tongue & Lips trademark becoming more renowned than the Stones themselves?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 26, 2011 17:50

I'd say yes.
Can't tell you how many kids I see these days wearing the logo on t-shirts.

I gotta think most of these kids don't know where that logo comes from.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:07

Mainman
Has the famous tongue & lips trademark become more famous than the Rolling Stones themselves, and if not, then how long will it be before it does?

More to the point, just how big an influence has this logo been on the band's post-seventies career?

The answer to your first question is yes. Your second question I don't even understand.

Date: January 27, 2011 01:37

In which case I'll put you down as:
a) yes
b) haven't a clue

Date: January 27, 2011 01:45

Mainman

I haven't a clue as to how a band's career can possibly be "influenced" by their own logo. What exactly are you trying to say? That they've spent the last 40 years trying to make music that sounds the way their logo looks????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 01:47 by tatters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:45

What do you mean post 1970s? They finally did something different with it for Steel Wheels and then went way beyond that with a whole new design for Voodoo and then the Babylon one was cool. What, the only one that's been normal since 1989 was on Stripped, Live Licks and Shine A Light, as far as the back cover goes and in general.

I know She's So Cold was the first different tongue and the last one until Steel Wheels with exception of the original hardly being used for releases and the double gleam tongue being the common tongue now.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:46

Mainman

Huge, as they're more of a brand name than a band these days - and the degree of priority given to the marketing of merchandise is very high. Its a 365-day a year thing - which the music isnt.

As said above, the logo gets worn by kids who could barely name you more than one band member or a couple of songs. They certainly arent the sort of people the band are trying to attract to their concerts as theyve outpriced them.

Retro-chic being what it is, its not inconceivable that the logo will even outlive the band's music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 01:47 by Gazza.

Date: January 27, 2011 01:52

It's certainly out performed the band's music!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:07

What about John Pasche? He should have made a royalty deal with Mick, shouldn't he?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 27, 2011 03:28

Gazza

As said above, the logo gets worn by kids who could barely name you more than one band member or a couple of songs. They certainly arent the sort of people the band are trying to attract to their concerts as theyve outpriced them.

Retro-chic being what it is, its not inconceivable that the logo will even outlive the band's music.

True, its meaningless. Remember when wearing a t-shirt with your favorite group or singer to school was like a badge of honor? It really bugs me when I see kids with the Johnny Cash shirts......who's next?
It's the homogenization of music history and culture.
Then again, I used to love wearing authentic Triumph Motorcycle shirts just because Dylan wore one on an album cover and James Dean rode one. And I've never been on a motorcyle.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 03:35 by stupidguy2.

Date: January 27, 2011 17:06

Gazza
Mainman

Huge, as they're more of a brand name than a band these days - and the degree of priority given to the marketing of merchandise is very high. Its a 365-day a year thing - which the music isnt.

Okay, I think I now understand the OP's second question, which should have been worded "To what extent have the Stones financially benefited from having such a cool logo?" The answer is that having such a cool logo certainly hasn't done them any harm.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 27, 2011 17:46

the branding is very important...there are "boutique" type sections in major departments stores like Bloomingdales in New York that sell series of Rolling Stones t shirts...and it has a very high profiile spot on the selling floor right by the escalator.The brand will live on no doubt about that...

Date: January 27, 2011 17:54

John Pasche got SCRUDE by Mick out of the tongue and lips logo, yet alone they hardly use the one he originally designed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 17:02 by skipstone.

Date: January 27, 2011 19:29

Sorry about my little knowledge in the word of English: But what does scude mean? I've heard about SCUD-missiles, but that's probably not what John got from Mick?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 27, 2011 19:58

Stoneage
Sorry about my little knowledge in the word of English: But what does scude mean?

"Proper" English would be: John Pasche got SCREWED by Mick....

Date: January 27, 2011 20:06

Ok, I get it! Thanks EG! Imagine how rich John would have been with a royalty contract!

Date: January 28, 2011 00:16

tatters
Gazza
Mainman

Okay, I think I now understand the OP's second question, which should have been worded "To what extent have the Stones financially benefited from having such a cool logo?" The answer is that having such a cool logo certainly hasn't done them any harm.

No, that's NOT what I meant!

The point of the question was to ascertain whether the unforseen success of their branding had influenced them to the point where business would take an increasingly higher priority over their musical output/performances; a point which Gazza very succinctly and eloquently alluded to in his earlier response.

They have indeed become a brand - a very successful one - though incredibly, with the addition of a logo that can exist independently outside of their increasingly marginalised music, irrespective of what it is supposed to be representing.

Alas, it would seem that Pete Townshend's decription of the Stones as "a tee-shirt-selling machine" back in early 1982 was merely the tip of a mammoth-sized ice-berg.

Date: January 28, 2011 02:53

Mainman
tatters
Gazza
Mainman

No, that's NOT what I meant!

The point of the question was to ascertain whether the unforseen success of their branding had influenced them to the point where business would take an increasingly higher priority over their musical output/performances; a point which Gazza very succinctly and eloquently alluded to in his earlier response.

They have indeed become a brand - a very successful one - though incredibly, with the addition of a logo that can exist independently outside of their increasingly marginalised music, irrespective of what it is supposed to be representing.

Alas, it would seem that Pete Townshend's decription of the Stones as "a tee-shirt-selling machine" back in early 1982 was merely the tip of a mammoth-sized ice-berg.

Okay, I see. But do you think their merchandising really reaches all that many NON-Stones fans? I haven't seen anyone lately, other than myself, wearing a Stones t-shirt. And even I know it's a totally passe thing to be wearing. It was cool in the 70s. Now it just pegs you as being stuck in the 70s.

Date: January 28, 2011 03:03

Gazza

What kids are these? I don't seem to see too many of them. Sometimes I'll see a young celebrity wearing the logo, and it makes them look hopelessly uncool, mainly because they're unaware they're wearing something that stopped being cool 30 years ago. Once in a while someone does come up with a cool variation on it, though. I saw a purple one on a tie-dyed t-shirt during the B2B tour that I liked a lot.

Date: January 28, 2011 03:14

The tongue-logo and vintage Stones clothing seems to "in" for teenage girls and younger women. A couple of years ago hardrock, vintage t-shirts (Kiss, Motorhead, AC/DC) were fashionable among young girls.I don't think it has much to do with the music, moreso with fashion. Personally, I remember buying those hideous black t-shirts at concerts in the 90-ties. The merchandise has stepped up a bit since then.

Date: January 28, 2011 03:18

tatters
Gazza

What kids are these? I don't seem to see too many of them. Sometimes I'll see a young celebrity wearing the logo, and it makes them look hopelessly uncool, mainly because they're unaware they're wearing something that stopped being cool 30 years ago. Once in a while someone does come up with a cool variation on it, though. I saw a purple one on a tie-dyed t-shirt during the B2B tour that I liked a lot.

These kids wearing the tongue label are eveywhere. Most of the time there is no reference to the Stones. There doesn't have to be.

Its a badge...of sorts.

Date: January 28, 2011 17:04

Edith Grove
Stoneage
Sorry about my little knowledge in the word of English: But what does scude mean?

"Proper" English would be: John Pasche got SCREWED by Mick....

Oh you guys made me laugh out loud on that one!

Yeah, I just fixed it. Just saw it. Edith, I was going by the BP spelling and forgot the letter R.

Although I kinda like Scude.

Date: January 28, 2011 17:11

Mainman
tatters
Gazza

These kids wearing the tongue label are eveywhere. Most of the time there is no reference to the Stones. There doesn't have to be.

Its a badge...of sorts.

Like my son, born in 1983, who wears a replica Led Zeppelin 1977 Tour t-shirt. But I see way more Zep shirts on "kids" than Stones shirts. I think maybe some Black kids like the logo and see it as a "Black Thing". The 70s soul band Rufus (featuring Chaka Khan) had an album cover with artwork that was very similar to the Stones logo. Also, the logo has strong oral sex associations. When I was 18 I had a jacket with a Stones logo I had embroidered on the back of the right shoulder. A number of (older) women saw this as some kind of signal that I liked to "go down".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-30 00:10 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home