Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Exile Re-Issue 6 Months Later
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 26, 2011 18:24

Disc 1 Original Exile
PLAY IT-all the time, often, from start to finish without skipping a cut. I really think this is their masterpiece...their exemplar.

Disc 2
"Pass the Wine (Sophia Loren)" LIKE IT/PLAY IT - love the harmonica
"Plundered My Soul" LOVE IT/PLAY IT - Mick can be proud of this one
"I'm Not Signifying" LIKE IT/PLAY IT - but vocal too nasal - nice harmonica
"Following the River" DON'T LIKE IT/DON't PLAY IT - wtf
"Dancing in the Light" DON'T LIKE IT/DON't PLAY IT - too forced
"So Divine (Aladdin Story)" LOVE IT / PLAY IT - it fits
"Loving Cup" (Alternate take) LOVE IT / PLAY IT - almost perfect
"Soul Survivor" (Alternate take) DON't LIKE IT / DON'T PLAY IT - dumb
"Good Time Women" LOVE IT / PLAY IT - more of these would have been nice
"Title 5" ?!?! / DON'T PLAY IT
"All Down The Line" LOVE IT / PLAY IT - I'd still like to know why this was left off the North American release

So...5 songs I'd play in public, 2 I might listen to if it came on the radio, 4 I'd avoid.

Not a bad Disc 2, actually...looking forward to future releases.

Cheers

Re: Exile Re-Issue 6 Months Later
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 26, 2011 18:26

already in mothballs. better luck with the next project.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 26, 2011 18:40

I really like the "new" tracks, although personally I don't like "Following The River" because I don't like ballads. But the rest of it is great. I have it on LP, and let both sides play through. I even like "Title 5", its just a jam and sounds cool and who gives a hoot what year it was from. It was good to hear "Sophia Loren" after reading of it's existence in that Martin Elliott book. It was good to hear a vocal melody to Aladdin Story after all these years... Plundered My Soul is the great song amongst them all. Hopefully the Stones release outtakes from the 1973 era or thereabouts (Scarlet, Fast Talking Slow Walking, etc). That's when Travelling Man will probably get an official release too, and the Brussels set. I hope they do this, it would make a great release.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 26, 2011 19:00

Travelling Man dates from 1969 so it shouldn't be released on a 1973 era disc. Having said that Aladdin Story & Dancing In The Light also date from 1969 but were on the Exile release so who knows...

I think Title 5 is fantastic by the way, the most enjoyable track on the outtakes disc!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 26, 2011 19:04

bolexman
I really like the "new" tracks, although personally I don't like "Following The River" because I don't like ballads. But the rest of it is great. I have it on LP, and let both sides play through. I even like "Title 5", its just a jam and sounds cool and who gives a hoot what year it was from. It was good to hear "Sophia Loren" after reading of it's existence in that Martin Elliott book. It was good to hear a vocal melody to Aladdin Story after all these years... Plundered My Soul is the great song amongst them all. Hopefully the Stones release outtakes from the 1973 era or thereabouts (Scarlet, Fast Talking Slow Walking, etc). That's when Travelling Man will probably get an official release too, and the Brussels set. I hope they do this, it would make a great release.

on lp? there´s a lp of the second disc out?

Date: January 26, 2011 19:06

Yeah I've read different dates for Travellin Man ranging from 1969-1973. That's great Tseverin you like "Title 5", it is a groovy track! People forget that rock'n'roll is best when it is stripped back and basic.

Good thread idea palerider22. Interesting how people's feelings on an LP can change over time.

Date: January 26, 2011 19:21

bluesinc.
bolexman

Yes its a bootleg pressing. You can get them on Ebay. It's a great transfer, the sound quality is really good! Mine is on translucent blue vinyl. And it includes both versions of Plundered My Soul, so you receive the excellent single-version. I purchased this LP instead of bothering with the Exile boxset.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 26, 2011 19:28

I LIKE IT..Yes i do....Love it in fact...The best cd since TY...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:17

i made an edited version of the "new old" stuff and i play it real regular.
and it plays in my head quite a lot too, when i'm not near my stereo
and i ain't signifyin :E

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:19

I like it very much. Following the River may be a little too on the nose but I sometimes think the same about Angie. That's alright.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:37

what does "on the nose" mean? Thanks.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:38

In your face!-----or singing through his nose?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:43

Soul surviver is quite interesting - if I didn't know it was Keith/The Stones, I'd bet it's the Velvet Underground.

the biggest surprise though was the crappy packing of the 2CD edition

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 26, 2011 21:01

cc

Maybe like Keith said "His cock on the end of his nose"winking smiley

I play it all the time, PMS being my fav, of couse
Btw, is it casual coincidence that PMS also reduction for Premenstrual syndrome?

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 26, 2011 21:46

I mean... obvious. To put it in a fairly negative way. Following the River and Angie don't leave the listener much room to use his or her imagination but they're still good.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 26, 2011 21:55

...great version full of guitars in this "loving cup"....As a whole nearly a
fine new album...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 26, 2011 22:26

cc

Bull-eye. Perfect shot/spot. Spot on.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-26 22:31 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2011 22:28

on the nose ......usually means stinks/rotten in this part of thee world

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 26, 2011 22:31

Rockman
on the nose ......usually means stinks/rotten in this part of thee world

Wow! I never knew.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 26, 2011 22:34

Squiggle
I mean... obvious. To put it in a fairly negative way. Following the River and Angie don't leave the listener much room to use his or her imagination but they're still good.

thanks.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 26, 2011 23:15

proudmary
cc

Maybe like Keith said "His cock on the end of his nose"winking smiley

I play it all the time, PMS being my fav, of couse
Btw, is it casual coincidence that PMS also reduction for Premenstrual syndrome?

I would rather have PMS than a plundered soul.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 26, 2011 23:40

Except for the original Loving Cup, PMS is the only one that lasts. Most of us already had Good Time Women, or the early All Down the Line....
But PMS was worth it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 27, 2011 10:35

>> Most of us already had Good Time Women, or the early All Down the Line <<

well but the early All Down the Line we had wasn't the one they released as a "bonus track"
and it rocks :E

Date: January 27, 2011 10:41

<"Good Time Women" LOVE IT / PLAY IT - more of these would have been nice
"Title 5" ?!?! / DON'T PLAY IT
"All Down The Line" LOVE IT / PLAY IT - I'd still like to know why this was left off the North American release>

confused smiley Of the three mentioned songs, Title 5 is the only one I can listen to once in a while. IMO, all the outtakes/early versions are very poor compared to the originals, except for Loving Cup, which is brilliant - although seemingly it's two or more takes spliced together.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 27, 2011 14:03

I'm crazy for Plundered My Soul and Good Time Women. I like a few of the others but don't play the exile remaster CD.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 27, 2011 14:16

"Pass the Wine (Sophia Loren)" Beautiful jam
"Plundered My Soul" Marterpiece!
"I'm Not Signifying" great!
"Following the River" beautiful! I love it!
"Dancing in the Light" not bad
"So Divine (Aladdin Story)" not bad
"Loving Cup" (Alternate take) great
"Soul Survivor" (Alternate take) great
"Good Time Women" interesting, but I don't play it
"Title 5" ????
"All Down The Line" not bad but I prefer the original

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 27, 2011 16:25

bluesinc.
bolexman
I have it on LP, and let both sides play through.

An album is still called an LP, regardless of the format. I know that's not how it started out but it's become that. In fact, CDs are even longer players ha ha.

Perhaps bolexman meant vinyl since there are not two listenable sides to a CD record/album/LP...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 27, 2011 17:11

i still call 'em records, too. they'll always be records to me.

Date: January 27, 2011 17:16

To clarify, I have it on vinyl. I call them LPs (long-player).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 27, 2011 17:17

Pass The Wine (Sophia Loren) ***** Excellent tune, a nice groove. Certainly could have made the album (remove Sweet Black Angel or See His Face, two tracks that certainly could have been left off). This track gets played a considerable amount.

Plundered My Soul ***** I wish the single version was on the album. Regardless, I love this tune. Another one that is strange that they didn't finish for the album considering they used some Sticky Fingers leftovers instead of some of these newly recorded tunes. Play this track a good bit.

I'm Not Signifying ***** Mississippi Delta-esque blues with New Orleans brass and that New Orleans rolling piano. Too bad this didn't make the initial release because it's easily the best track on this compilation. This track gets played on a regular basis.

Following The River - Obvious why this was forgotten - it's just an imitation of Loving Cup with a few other tunes that are similar and IT SUCKS now that Jagger has put these lyrics on it with that horrible screech howling that he does on this. Was somebody jamming a knife in his stomach while he 'sang' this? Mick's singing is too affected. This track is horrendous. If I never hear this track again it'll be too much.

Dancing In The Light ** Sounds like one of those 'hey this is a good idea' that doesn't make a "good song". Like a watermelon milkshake. I don't listen to this track.

So Divine (Aladdin Story) *** A little better than Dancing In The Light but too much like Paint It Black combined with the ultra-hippy sound of the chorus. Another good idea that doesn't take off or really go anywhere. And that horrible Keith overdub for a 'lead' hurts the song. Why Taylor couldn't have added to this and made it have a good lead I'll never understand. I hardly listen to this track.

Loving Cup (Alternate Take) **** This is cool. It's nice to have something different, to listen to how it evolved. I play this one every now and then. The final version is the best.

Soul Survivor *** Cool to hear another difference. Love Keith's rambling singing. The backing track is what's nice, the minor differences than what made the album. But I hardly play this one. More than Dancing In The Light and So Devine...

Good Time Women ***** Great to have the not-going-anywhere demo version in excellent quality finally. Nice and funky and dirty and just...it's excellently dumpy. In fact, it even sticks together better than Tumbling Dice!

Title 5 ** I take this as just something to throw on here to end the comp with but it's so obviously not from the 1969-71 period. OK, whatever, but certainly there was some other things they could have put on this comp.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home