Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: "bridges" and "A bigger bang"---and "Voodou" tops "EXILE"
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 23, 2011 07:38

proudmary
StonesTod
71Tele
Life is too short to listen to mediocre music.

well-said; although i might add that mediocrity is in the ear of the beholder - i don't claim my tastes are better than anyone else's.

I agree. I like ABB, you don't. It doesn't mean your taste is worse than mine. But I prefer Sticky Fingers and Exile - I guess that's our common ground

Still, I think Rain Fall Down is one of Stones' best songs
As for Wild Horses I found that sentence - wild horses couldn't drug me away - being as much of cliche as possible

The song transcended the cliche in Wild Horses. It was so good that they could get away with the lyrical cliche. And it wasn't that bad a cliche in terms of pop songs because I don't believe anyone had used it until then. Rain Fall Down? Ok filler, but not one of the "Stones' best songs". The bar is pretty high for anything from the last four or five studio albums to be in that category, but hey, if you think so, great!

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 23, 2011 09:35

71Tele
Yes, things can become outdated, but we are were talking Exile here. It was had almost 40 years to sound outdated and it never has. I just played it for someone (the vinyl) in her 20s an hour ago in fact, and she was blown away.

I'm still blown away by Frankie Avalon's Venus, but I also think that it is outdated. I would not mind at all if 60s rock became popular again, because I love it, but I think it's not very realistic.

71Tele
I live in Seattle and went through the whole grunge thing. I had to hear about how great they were all the time. I don't hear that so much anymore.

Interesting; I did not know. Maybe they don't like the new singer, but I think he's not bad. Anyway, in my opinion Dirt is an important album. The first three tracks of it are all good, and it has some others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-23 09:55 by lsbz.

Date: January 23, 2011 09:47

lsbz
71Tele
Yes, things can become outdated, but we are were talking Exile here. It was had almost 40 years to sound outdated and it never has. I just played it for someone (the vinyl) in her 20s an hour ago in fact, and she was blown away.

I'm still blown away by Frankie Avalon's Venus, but I also think that it is outdated. I would not mind at all if 60s rock became popular again, because I love it, but I think it's not very realistic.

71Tele
I live in Seattle and went through the whole grunge thing. I had to hear about how great they were all the time. I don't hear that so much anymore.

Imteresting; I did not know. Maybe they don't like the new singer, but I think he's not bad. Anyway, in my opinion Dirt is an important album. The first three tracks of it are all good, and it has some others.

Well at a certain point we all like what you like, and it's silly to have to defend it if you like it.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 23, 2011 10:50

Wild Horses is maybe the best ever song!!!!!!!!

My wife likes ABB too
ABB was the best RS's album that colud be made in 2005

The 70's won't never come back

Enjoy the eclectic and rich discography of our friends; there is nice music in all the albums; there are better and there are worse tunes, but the essence of RS's music is in all of them

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 23, 2011 13:40

71Tele
proudmary
StonesTod
71Tele
Life is too short to listen to mediocre music.

well-said; although i might add that mediocrity is in the ear of the beholder - i don't claim my tastes are better than anyone else's.

I agree. I like ABB, you don't. It doesn't mean your taste is worse than mine. But I prefer Sticky Fingers and Exile - I guess that's our common ground

Still, I think Rain Fall Down is one of Stones' best songs
As for Wild Horses I found that sentence - wild horses couldn't drug me away - being as much of cliche as possible

The song transcended the cliche in Wild Horses. It was so good that they could get away with the lyrical cliche. And it wasn't that bad a cliche in terms of pop songs because I don't believe anyone had used it until then. Rain Fall Down? Ok filler, but not one of the "Stones' best songs". The bar is pretty high for anything from the last four or five studio albums to be in that category, but hey, if you think so, great!

not to mention, songs w/ cliches are what make many songs catchy. off the top of my head, i'm thinking about Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and especially the G 'n R version. resorting to putting down wild horses due to cliche is just looking/inventing reasons not to like such a great tune.

Date: January 23, 2011 14:04

LeonidP
not to mention, songs w/ cliches are what make many songs catchy. off the top of my head, i'm thinking about Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and especially the G 'n R version. resorting to putting down wild horses due to cliche is just looking/inventing reasons not to like such a great tune.

In my perception, it is foremost the performance on record that is a little off. You can't have that with low-energy lyrics. The concept in itself is dubious; not impossible but difficult to get right. I think that GNR did not get it right with Knockin' On Heaven's Door, so for me that's only an illustration of my point. I do think that they succeeded with November Rain though.

Date: January 23, 2011 16:01

lsbz
In my perception, it is foremost the performance on record that is a little off. You can't have that with low-energy lyrics. The concept in itself is dubious; not impossible but difficult to get right...

seems like you're going a wee bit overboard w/ the analyzing rather than just enjoying a good song for what it is (in my perception)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 23, 2011 16:03

71Tele
lsbz
71Tele

71Tele

Imteresting; I did not know. Maybe they don't like the new singer, but I think he's not bad. Anyway, in my opinion Dirt is an important album. The first three tracks of it are all good, and it has some others.

Well at a certain point we all like what you like, and it's silly to have to defend it if you like it.

silly? it's totally unnecessary. i like loads of stuff that many/most would call shite - so what? what would be silly would be to listen to stuff i don't like just because i happen to like the band/act.

Date: January 23, 2011 16:28

LeonidP
lsbz
In my perception, it is foremost the performance on record that is a little off. You can't have that with low-energy lyrics. The concept in itself is dubious; not impossible but difficult to get right...

seems like you're going a wee bit overboard w/ the analyzing rather than just enjoying a good song for what it is (in my perception)

If the song's being used to discredit Rain Fall Down, I think it should be put a little in perspective. I don't think it's a bad song, but certainly not one of the greatest that the Stones made. There are other ones as well, like She's A Rainbow and Gimmie Shelter, that seem to be popular here, but that I don't find particularly good.

Date: January 23, 2011 21:42

lsbz
...There are other ones as well, like She's A Rainbow and Gimmie Shelter, that seem to be popular here, but that I don't find particularly good.

yet you consider Rain Fall Down as one of their best tracks? ... just wow, how did you ever end up on this board?

and i suppose sex drive is better than sympathy for the devil?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-23 21:50 by LeonidP.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 23, 2011 22:32

Come on dudes! I mean, either you like a song or not. Of course I choose Wild Horses over Rain Fall Down every day of the week.
But honestly, who gives a f. Life is too short to bitch about which song is the best one or do those stupid
Top Ten Lists unless you happen to be Dave Letterman.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 23, 2011 23:38

LeonidP
lsbz
...There are other ones as well, like She's A Rainbow and Gimmie Shelter, that seem to be popular here, but that I don't find particularly good.

yet you consider Rain Fall Down as one of their best tracks? ... just wow, how did you ever end up on this board?

From what I've read there's quite a few people on here (And that I know otherwise) that really like Rainfall down, it's a bit weird though to compare it with Wild Horses if only because Wild Horses is a ballad and Rainfall down is funk driven....a bit like comparing a roast beef dinner with a chicken curry, they're just too different....you might like one alot one day and the other the next. As songs standing on their own though I reckon Wild horses shot it's load (As in reached it's climax/zenith) at Knebworth in '76, since then, to me, all renditions of it have seemed pretty bland and even the original to my ears has become, well, take it or leave it, Out of tears on the other hand radiates a beautiful haunting melancoly that for me at least still resonates strongly after 16 years, Blinded by Rainbows is pretty underated IMO too.(The lyrics of Rip this joint and Swet Black Angel are topical too (As opposed to timeless)). As for Sympathy,again IMO, the introduction of this at Las Vegas in 1994 turned the Voodoo Lounge tour from a really adventurous unpredictable delight into a by the numbers yawn.yawning smiley The Voodoo Lounge tour...to... The Playing it Safe Setlist tour in one easy move....literally. Personally I might not like Sexdrive over Sympathy but certainly rate Too much blood over it, compared with the utterly wild TMBlood Sympathy is for my tastes a trifle pedestrian and staid. Cheers then, EddieByword

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-23 23:50 by EddieByword.

Date: January 24, 2011 00:10

lsbz
LeonidP

In my perception, it is foremost the performance on record that is a little off. You can't have that with low-energy lyrics. The concept in itself is dubious; not impossible but difficult to get right. I think that GNR did not get it right with Knockin' On Heaven's Door, so for me that's only an illustration of my point. I do think that they succeeded with November Rain though.

They succeeded at what exactly with November Rain?

Date: January 24, 2011 00:15

EddieByword
LeonidP
lsbz

From what I've read there's quite a few people on here (And that I know otherwise) that really like Rainfall down, it's a bit weird though to compare it with Wild Horses if only because Wild Horses is a ballad and Rainfall down is funk driven....a bit like comparing a roast beef dinner with a chicken curry, they're just too different....you might like one alot one day and the other the next. As songs standing on their own though I reckon Wild horses shot it's load (As in reached it's climax/zenith) at Knebworth in '76, since then, to me, all renditions of it have seemed pretty bland and even the original to my ears has become, well, take it or leave it, Out of tears on the other hand radiates a beautiful haunting melancoly that for me at least still resonates strongly after 16 years, Blinded by Rainbows is pretty underated IMO too.(The lyrics of Rip this joint and Swet Black Angel are topical too (As opposed to timeless)). As for Sympathy,again IMO, the introduction of this at Las Vegas in 1994 turned the Voodoo Lounge tour from a really adventurous unpredictable delight into a by the numbers yawn.yawning smiley The Voodoo Lounge tour...to... The Playing it Safe Setlist tour in one easy move....literally. Personally I might not like Sexdrive over Sympathy but certainly rate Too much blood over it, compared with the utterly wild TMBlood Sympathy is for my tastes a trifle pedestrian and staid. Cheers then, EddieByword

The lyrics to Rip This Joint are topical? I don't think so. They are too humorous and obscure to be topical. And you wouldn't know Sweet Black Angel is about anyone in particular unless you knew the back story, so I would argue that one isn't topical either. Again, Exile is timeless, which is why it still sounds great 39 years later. Too Much Blood is one of the most awful things they have ever recorded, imo, but hell, it's very interesting to see what some folks prefer here. I am always surprised.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 24, 2011 00:39

71Tele
And you wouldn't know Sweet Black Angel is about anyone in particular unless you knew the back story, so I would argue that one isn't topical either.

very contorted reasoning here, Tele. You seem to be struggling with dissent against the Exile Doctrine...

Date: January 24, 2011 00:47

71Tele
EddieByword
LeonidP
lsbz

The lyrics to Rip This Joint are topical? I don't think so. They are too humorous and obscure to be topical. And you wouldn't know Sweet Black Angel is about anyone in particular unless you knew the back story, so I would argue that one isn't topical either. Again, Exile is timeless, which is why it still sounds great 39 years later. Too Much Blood is one of the most awful things they have ever recorded, imo, but hell, it's very interesting to see what some folks prefer here. I am always surprised.
Well, I do mean topical in the very loosest of senses in that 'Dick and Pat in ole D.C.,'(Richard & Pat Nixon if I'm not mistaken) places it in the late 60's/early '70's and semtex places Blinded by Rainbows in the 90's, Sweet Black Angel, little known or not is still anchored there by the fact of the subject....
>>>>Too Much Blood is one of the most awful things they have ever recorded, imo,<<<<< I was gratified to read the IMO as opposed to the tacit QEDs that prevail on some other posts by people who forget the proclaimation of probaly one of the greatest artistes of all time..William Shakespeare.."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....and make statements as though they are proven scientific facts..For me Undercover is the business end of the Stones and the only reason it doesn't wipe the floor with Exile is because it wasn't a double album...Keith himself said that Mick surpassed himself with the lyrics on that....Don't get me wrong, I'm a Stones fan and Exile was the 2nd album I heard and it certainly roped me in in 1973 but as time's gone by I've begun to think it a bit precocious and a bit of a drug fuelled pretentious ramble, sounds great but not a lot of depth really.....on the other hand "Life is short, just one look and it's over, comes as quite a shock" (ABB 2005) is a sincere, generous flat piece of poetry worth waiting for...IMO....maybe if you haven't had that shock it doesn't sound like much.......

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-24 01:07 by EddieByword.

Date: January 24, 2011 01:43

cc
71Tele
And you wouldn't know Sweet Black Angel is about anyone in particular unless you knew the back story, so I would argue that one isn't topical either.

very contorted reasoning here, Tele. You seem to be struggling with dissent against the Exile Doctrine...

Not at all. I feel no need to struggle.

Date: January 24, 2011 01:44

EddieByword
71Tele
EddieByword
LeonidP
lsbz

Well, I do mean topical in the very loosest of senses in that 'Dick and Pat in ole D.C.,'(Richard & Pat Nixon if I'm not mistaken) places it in the late 60's/early '70's and semtex places Blinded by Rainbows in the 90's, Sweet Black Angel, little known or not is still anchored there by the fact of the subject....
>>>>Too Much Blood is one of the most awful things they have ever recorded, imo,<<<<< I was gratified to read the IMO as opposed to the tacit QEDs that prevail on some other posts by people who forget the proclaimation of probaly one of the greatest artistes of all time..William Shakespeare.."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....and make statements as though they are proven scientific facts..For me Undercover is the business end of the Stones and the only reason it doesn't wipe the floor with Exile is because it wasn't a double album...Keith himself said that Mick surpassed himself with the lyrics on that....Don't get me wrong, I'm a Stones fan and Exile was the 2nd album I heard and it certainly roped me in in 1973 but as time's gone by I've begun to think it a bit precocious and a bit of a drug fuelled pretentious ramble, sounds great but not a lot of depth really.....on the other hand "Life is short, just one look and it's over, comes as quite a shock" (ABB 2005) is a sincere, generous flat piece of poetry worth waiting for...IMO....maybe if you haven't had that shock it doesn't sound like much.......

Lyrics, schmyrics. I just think Too Much Blood is an awful song.

Date: January 24, 2011 02:32

71Tele
EddieByword
71Tele
EddieByword
LeonidP
lsbz

Yeah, I've heard that before...and I've heard "it's one of the most primordial" songs ever written....I call it the Stones Marmite song...

Date: January 24, 2011 06:22

71Tele
Awful though it certainly is, amazingly they have done worse - Back To Zero.

Date: January 24, 2011 07:57

LeonidP
71Tele
Awful though it certainly is, amazingly they have done worse - Back To Zero.

I don't know...they are both scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

Date: January 24, 2011 08:58

LeonidP
lsbz

yet you consider Rain Fall Down as one of their best tracks?

I never said that. I only said that I think that it's as least as good as Wild Horses, which I don't find bad, but not particularly good either.

Date: January 24, 2011 09:29

71Tele
lsbz
LeonidP

They succeeded at what exactly with November Rain?

With over the top songwriting and performing. It's still within artistically tasteful limits because it has a very relevant theme. "Need some time on your own" is classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-24 09:35 by lsbz.

Date: January 27, 2011 00:21

Koen
What happened to the original thread anyway?......

...here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 00:22 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home