Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: "bridges" and "A bigger bang"---and "Voodou" tops "EXILE"
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 18, 2011 02:26

Exile topped the UK & US albums chart in 1972, but the sales were a bit "low" in comparison with Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers and during the 70's and 80's it didn't sell that well as catalog title.
During the 90's everything changed, the album did sell over 450k in UK and 1.1m in the US since 1993-94.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 18, 2011 02:31

His Majesty
I prefer Their Satanic Majesties Request over Exile On Main Street. It's imperfect, but really unique. It's like the tv series The Prisoner on an lp. Weird, beautiful, makes sense, doesn't make sense and so on. I love it!

Exile is far too normal for my tastes and the whole hype of it being their greatest album etc etc drove me away from it.

I like them both, however, Satanic is the one I listen to most of all and that includes all Stones albums - takes me on a magical mystical journey back in time to my happiest years as a teenager and is also great music to write to. I also like the music of the Grateful Dead and the Doors to write with.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 18, 2011 03:34

Cuts from all three v Exile ? I reckon I could enjoy this double album every bit as much as Exile................but then tomorrow it might be Goat's head soup/Black & blue/Undercover...........

Side 1.
Love is strong
Might as well get juiced
Back of my hand
I go wild
You don't have to mean it

Side 2.
Anybody seen my baby ?
Rough Justice
Thru & thru
Sweet neocon
Out of control

Side 3.
Rainfall down
Moon is up
Thief in the night
How can I stop
Biggest mistake
Blinded by rainbows

Side 4.
Don't wanna go home
It won't take long to forget you
Brand new car
Out of tears
Streets of love
You got me rocking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-18 03:39 by EddieByword.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 18, 2011 07:32

Exile is just perfect! A great blend/mix of great songs thru-out. I can't even listen to 1 or 2 songs from Exile ... instead I can only play it when I know I have time to sit and hear the entire thing.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:45

With all do respect, it's very hard to take this threads seriously...Is like the other guy that said that Sticky is crap...Yes is a matter of taste, but come on....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 18, 2011 17:45

Gazza
treaclefingers
[Fairly respectable numbers overall, particularly VL. Even if Exile is 'double counted', then you would have to extrapolate from the stats that the others are also double-counted, which means we're comparing apples to apples.

Why? They're not doubles (well, technically a couple are vinyl doubles but Cd was the format of choice for the lifespan of those later releases and vinyl sales would be negligible). The latter albums compare favourably sales-wise considering Exile had a head start on them of two or three decades.

Of course, 'Exile' didnt have a world tour to promote it. The others did. The 'Voodoo Lounge' tour remains the Stones most successful one (and the most successful by anyone) in real terms.

Ah well, I guess you are correct with respect to how the tabulation would be done.
I was in fact looking at it from the perspective of vinyl, as the latter day albums (post 1990) are all double vinyl's, and if memory serves, all of them longer than exile.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 18, 2011 19:11

Exile On Main Street is the greatest album in the history of the Universe.

Full stop.

Case Closed.

Game over.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 18, 2011 19:16

71Tele

Full stop.

Case Closed.

Game over.

That may be the case if you have a very limited view and expectation with regards to music.

It isn't better than Axis Bold As Love, Beggars Banquet, Songs in the Key of Life etc etc etc.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 18, 2011 19:21

remember now - there are no greatests nor bests; there are only favorites. please do a "replace all" of "the best" or "the greatest" with "my favorite" and we can end the pointless bickering and debating. this will leave additional time for political discussions and personal attacks.

Date: January 18, 2011 19:28

StonesTod
remember now - there are no greatests nor bests; there are only favorites. please do a "replace all" of "the best" or "the greatest" with "my favorite" and we can end the pointless bickering and debating. this will leave additional time for political discussions and personal attacks.

grinning smiley

Date: January 18, 2011 19:59

His Majesty
71Tele

Full stop.

Case Closed.

Game over.

That may be the case if you have a very limited view and expectation with regards to music.

It isn't better than Axis Bold As Love, Beggars Banquet, Songs in the Key of Life etc etc etc.

I see, so if I think it's better it's because of my "very limited expectations and view of music"? Get off yer high horse.

How, pray tell, is Beggars Banquet less "limited" than Exile? You just happen to prefer it, that's all. And Songs In The Key Of Life is a fine album, but Exile is no less "limited", just stylistically different. It is just as bold and ambitious. My "views" and "expectations" of music are quite refined, thank you very much. But good that you are able to make such a sweeping judgment about me based on the mere fact that I have a high opinion of Exile.

Date: January 18, 2011 19:59

georgelicks
Exile topped the UK & US albums chart in 1972, but the sales were a bit "low" in comparison with Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers and during the 70's and 80's it didn't sell that well as catalog title.
During the 90's everything changed, the album did sell over 450k in UK and 1.1m in the US since 1993-94.

Why is sales your measurement of artistic worth?

Date: January 18, 2011 20:33

71Tele

I see, so if I think it's better it's because of my "very limited expectations and view of music"? Get off yer high horse.

How, pray tell, is Beggars Banquet less "limited" than Exile? You just happen to prefer it, that's all. And Songs In The Key Of Life is a fine album, but Exile is no less "limited", just stylistically different. It is just as bold and ambitious. My "views" and "expectations" of music are quite refined, thank you very much. But good that you are able to make such a sweeping judgment about me based on the mere fact that I have a high opinion of Exile.

The point was there is no greatest album in the universe because of the greatness of so many other albums out there.

Sweeping judgments, we all make em.

As you were or else I'll show you the blade!

Date: January 18, 2011 21:13

His Majesty
71Tele

The point was there is no greatest album in the universe because of the greatness of so many other albums out there.

Sweeping judgments, we all make em.

As you were or else I'll show you the blade!

Of course you are right about that...I was using the well-honed technique called "hyperbole" to make a point about how good I think Exile is, which admittedly does not always translate well to e-mail postings.

Can you put the blade away please?

Date: January 18, 2011 21:44

71Tele

Can you put the blade away please?

thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 18, 2011 21:52

Totally agree that ABB and Voodoo are better. The extra cuts released last year from Exile was no better than second rate. Listened twice then put it away.

Date: January 19, 2011 05:26

StonesTod

What the fvck are we supposed to call 'greatest hits' packages now?!

"Our favourites, from the last 40 years, and we hope yours!"?

Date: January 19, 2011 05:40

treaclefingers
StonesTod

if you are personally attacking my suggestion, then i suggest my policy is working....

Date: January 19, 2011 07:41

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

if you are personally attacking my suggestion, then i suggest my policy is working....

Not really an attack personally, just finding a rare opportunity to perhaps twist your words to mean something that you hadn't actually intended. smileys with beer

I agree with you on the ridiculous best/greatest arguments...these are all just matters of taste.

Having said that, Dirty Work is a poor album...there, I said it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:28

True, but on top of it all stands 'Out of our Heads', American version...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:40

I don't like the other two, but in my opinion A Bigger Bang is on par with Exile. The average quality is lower, but it has for great rock tracks and the right attitude. I also think that the rock sound of it is innovative, and viable for a future musical direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-19 08:59 by lsbz.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 19, 2011 11:49

lsbz
I don't like the other two, but in my opinion A Bigger Bang is on par with Exile. The average quality is lower, but it has for great rock tracks and the right attitude. I also think that the rock sound of it is innovative, and viable for a future musical direction.

Agree with you.I really like A Bigger Bang too. There is very good review in Uncut' Stones Special by Bud Scoppa. He gives 5 stars to 6 song - it's even more than Sticky Fingers get. Sure it's too long, but we can to cut off on ours Ipods and playlists numbers we don't like.
Quote from Scoppa's review
"What remains is a slam-bang 12 track album running hair over 47 min - a significant upgrade for your listening and rocking pleasure..... It's simply terrific"

Date: January 19, 2011 15:35

proudmary
lsbz

Agree with you.I really like A Bigger Bang too. There is very good review in Uncut' Stones Special by Bud Scoppa. He gives 5 stars to 6 song - it's even more than Sticky Fingers get. Sure it's too long, but we can to cut off on ours Ipods and playlists numbers we don't like.
"What remains is a slam-bang 12 track album running hair over 47 min - a significant upgrade for your listening and rocking pleasure..... It's simply terrific"

Wow. Someone gave 5 or 6 stars to songs on ABB! More than Sticky Fingers! That must prove that my ears are wrong and ABB is a better album than Sticky Fingers.

Right.

Date: January 19, 2011 16:22

71Tele
proudmary
lsbz

Wow. Someone gave 5 or 6 stars to songs on ABB! More than Sticky Fingers! That must prove that my ears are wrong and ABB is a better album than Sticky Fingers.

Right.

Nobody is saying that A Bigger Bang is better than Sticky Fingers. What I'm trying to say that ABB is just very good and even revealing album. It rocks and more interesting, gives you a representation what means to be the man in his 60s.
The man who yet hasn't lost a potency and a libido, on the contrary, active and live. But growing old. I didn't hear anything like that from anybody else. All albums of old rockers are sad songs of impotent men.

Btw, Sticky Fingers is their best album by far. Nothing is close to it

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 19, 2011 16:39

And the tepid 1994 US tour tops the 72 trek! I like this thread! >grinning smiley<

Date: January 19, 2011 17:03

proudmary
What I'm trying to say that ABB is just very good and even revealing album. It rocks and more interesting, gives you a representation what means to be the man in his 60s.
The man who yet hasn't lost a potency and a libido, on the contrary, active and live. But growing old. I didn't hear anything like that from anybody else. All albums of old rockers are sad songs of impotent men.

i give you credit for putting a positive spin on ABB. the more common view: a dirty old man who never grew up.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 19, 2011 17:52

--- + --- + --- = ---------

I agree!

Date: January 19, 2011 18:13

proudmary
71Tele
proudmary
lsbz

Right.

Nobody is saying that A Bigger Bang is better than Sticky Fingers. What I'm trying to say that ABB is just very good and even revealing album. It rocks and more interesting, gives you a representation what means to be the man in his 60s.

Btw, Sticky Fingers is their best album by far. Nothing is close to it

What it reveals is that a couple of formerly great songwriters have almost completely lost any inspiration.

Date: January 19, 2011 18:56

the more common view: a dirty old man who never grew up.

First, you're right - it's common view, people don't like to think independently and are more than happy to seize for the general opinion
And the second, it is simple human envy. People couldn't bear when Jagger sang in 93 I'm as hard as a brick, I hope I never go limp

And here after ten years, there is no sign of slowing down?
I mean obvious signs, because they are, only are well hidden

Date: January 19, 2011 19:01

proudmary
the more common view: a dirty old man who never grew up.

First, you're right - it's common view, people don't like to think independently and are more than happy to seize for the general opinion

well, i don't like to brag, but i was the first one to come to this opinion.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home