Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What's happening with the rehearsals?
Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: April 6, 2013 22:59

Who cares about the tour? grinning smiley What I want to know is where are the rehearsals and have they started? Seriously, they should be started by now.

Re: What's happening with the rehearsals?
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:01

Rehearsals begin next week in LA.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:01

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:07

Cocaine Eyes
Rehearsals begin next week in LA.

bye bye johnny
[www.iorr.org]

Thanks!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:50

Do they really rehearse at all? According to Mr Perks he was not allowed to either rehearse, soundcheck or choose which song to play on.
Usually they need 10-20 gigs to get their chops together. In this case that will occur just about when the tour ends!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 23:54 by Stoneage.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2013 00:25

Stoneage
Do they really rehearse at all? According to Mr Perks he was not allowed to either rehearse, soundcheck or choose which song to play on.
Usually they need 10-20 gigs to get their chops together. In this case that will occur just about when the tour ends!

Yes, it seems that Mr. Jagger was the most affronted by Bill's departure from the band. Keith has spoken warmly of Bill in recent times and invited him to jam in late 2011--but Mick was notoriously absent from most of that jam time, showing up on only the third day and leaving abruptly.

I've often wondered if Mick's solo song Don't Tear Me Up was directed at Bill.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 7, 2013 00:53

stonehearted
Stoneage

Yes, it seems that Mr. Jagger was the most affronted by Bill's departure from the band. Keith has spoken warmly of Bill in recent times and invited him to jam in late 2011--but Mick was notoriously absent from most of that jam time, showing up on only the third day and leaving abruptly.

Nonsense. Mick invited Bill to participate in Stones in Exile movie and spoke warmly of him or at least neutrally in the interviews and never boorishly - in contrast to Mr. Richards. More - Bill's wife is Jerry Hall's friend and the close one, and after Wyman's departure from the band Mick and Bill communicated regularly and met on children's birthday parties - while Mr. Richards has not seen Bill for years.
As for London jam in late 2011 Mick was with Martin Scorsese when the latter was awarded the Order of the Legion of Honor in Paris and it was known in advance. I think that this sessions were designed specifically so that Mick could not be there and he still did it.
Btw, Teddy wrote that Bill took part in the New Jersey sessions in May and left early because of the tension. I believe Teddy, he usually knows what he says.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 7, 2013 01:13

Because of Mick they are already full speed rehearsing - he doesn't leave things to last minute...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 7, 2013 01:16

proudmary
Mick invited Bill to participate in Stones in Exile movie and spoke warmly of him or at least neutrally in the interviews and never boorishly - in contrast to Mr. Richards.

I ain't having it...garbage
Keith thinks of Bill as a brother in stone...and he shouldn't. Bill's a quitter who misses the spotlight.

Date: April 7, 2013 01:42

proudmary
stonehearted
Stoneage

Nonsense. Mick invited Bill to participate in Stones in Exile movie and spoke warmly of him or at least neutrally in the interviews and never boorishly - in contrast to Mr. Richards. More - Bill's wife is Jerry Hall's friend and the close one, and after Wyman's departure from the band Mick and Bill communicated regularly and met on children's birthday parties - while Mr. Richards has not seen Bill for years.
As for London jam in late 2011 Mick was with Martin Scorsese when the latter was awarded the Order of the Legion of Honor in Paris and it was known in advance. I think that this sessions were designed specifically so that Mick could not be there and he still did it.
Btw, Teddy wrote that Bill took part in the New Jersey sessions in May and left early because of the tension. I believe Teddy, he usually knows what he says.

This was discussed at length on IORR last year, but I believe this claim was refuted. People kept confusing what Keith was saying in the press about "rehearsals", taking it to mean that Bill was present in New Jersey in May 2012, when in fact he was only present for the 3-day London jam in 2011. Bill himself has said that he took part in only one rehearsal, but had been at the London jam in 2011--in all the numerous interviews he has done in the last year, he has not made any mention of having been present for the 4-song filmed segment in New Jersey that was originally intended for Crossfire Hurricane. Bill said he enjoyed taking part in the 3-day jam sessions in London, so why would there be tension forcing him to leave early from the New Jersey session? This would have made him less than optimistic about taking part in the 2012 shows, but in all his interviews from last year he was warmly anticipating working with The Stones again onstage, and he has expressed his disappointment that he didn't get the opportunity to be more involded with them--which he wouldn't be saying if there was actually tension. And yes, Keith has spoken warmly both about Bill and his bass playing. Though they were never close when they were in the band together, Keith said after the London jams, "I never realized how much I miss the old bugger!", going on to speak glowingly of his bass playing abilities as well. Look at the photos below. Is Mick Jagger shown shaking Bill's hand? Is Mick even anywhere near or acknowledging Bill in any of the group photos? Nonsense indeed!

However, Mick Jagger certainly likes Mick Taylor--he actually allowed Taylor to rehearse with the band, spoke glowingly of his appearances last year ["....he played very well...."], but was dismissive of Bill Wyman's appearance ["He played with us last year but is not keen on touring. He made that very clear to us."]

So why was Taylor allowed to rehearse for his 1-song guest appearance, but Wyman was not allowed to rehearse for his 2-song appearance?

Taylor -- who recorded some new guitar parts for the 2010 expanded re-release of "Exile on Main Street" -- acknowledges that he "had my doubts" about how the Stones would hold up on stage these days, and how he'd fit in with them. But he says that any concerns were dispelled after rehearsing for the two shows at London's O2 Arena in November.

Full story at: www.billboard.com/articles/news/1481381/mick-taylor-predicts-more-rolling-stones-rocking-ahead

It does not matter that Bill was allowed back into the Stones In Exile project as well as to play on some revamped tracks for the album reissue. It doesn't mean that Mick and Bill were even in the same room at the same time, as with the Ian Stewart tribute album [Boogie 4 Stu] track Watchin' The River Flow, whereas Mick Taylor and Mick Jagger were actually writing together for Plundered My Soul. But these were just for reissue projects and a tribute album.

It was actually Keith who was instrumental to inviting Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor back to jam just for the hell of it, which led directly to their involvement in the 2012 shows--shows that almost didn't even happen until the last minute due to Mick Jagger's admitted reticence.

....The quote comes from a Spinner interview where Richards confirmed that he had been playing with bandmates Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts in London. And when asked if there was a possibility that Mick Jagger would join the group for rehearsal, Richards had this to say:

“Of course. I mean, everybody’s welcome,” Richards told Spinner. “I was going to ask Bill Wyman to come by too. And Mick Taylor. The whole lot. They’re all Stones, you know? Why not?”

“Charlie and I are going to work together,” Richards said later. “Just go in and see if we can warm our chops up. And of course everyone else is welcome. Mick Taylor’s welcome. I don’t see why everybody who was a Stone shouldn’t be involved.”

Full story at: www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/11/keith-richards-invites-bill-wyman-and-mick-taylor.html

It seems that Keith is now the only Stone [besides Charlie of course] these days who displays any affection toward their former bass player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 21:28 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 7, 2013 02:55

It seems that Keith is now the only Stone [besides Charlie of course] these days who displays any affection toward their former bass player

Don't forget Ronnie he gets on well with Bill but otherwise your absolutely correct - Bill and the Stones will never do anything with each other again. I think it genuinely hurt Bill (hence his statements to the press) that after 30 years service all he got was 10 minutes stage time and off hand treatment.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 7, 2013 12:38

After the rarities cover thing maybe Bill is not comfortable with this people

Date: April 7, 2013 12:48

But Teddy have good sources saying Bill was indeed rehearsing in NJ?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 7, 2013 12:54

i had it on excellent authority that Bill was at the New Jersey rehearsals and filming session, not merely in London. The Stones were not at all thrilled with his attitude (I took this to mean Mick and Keith both, I don't know about Charlie). It was decided that taking Bill on in any serious fashion was going to be a pain in the ass. I believe this is why he was not offered a larger role. I posted this at the time, not to expect much. He was invited as a guest. If he wanted more, he certainly didn't play his cards right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-07 12:58 by TeddyB1018.

Date: April 7, 2013 13:47

TeddyB1018
i
had it on excellent authority that Bill was at the New Jersey
rehearsals and filming session, not merely in London. The Stones were
not at all thrilled with his attitude (I took this to mean Mick and
Keith both, I don't know about Charlie). It was decided that taking Bill
on in any serious fashion was going to be a pain in the ass. I believe
this is why he was not offered a larger role. I posted this at the time,
not to expect much. He was invited as a guest. If he wanted more, he
certainly didn't play his cards right.

Interesting, according to your sources what was Bill's attitude? He's no pushover so I imagine that created some problems.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 7, 2013 13:49

Who believes that Bill was not allowed to rehearse, soundcheck or whatever?
No way the Stones would take a chance like that or act like that.

Date: April 7, 2013 16:27

steini
Who believes that Bill was not allowed to rehearse, soundcheck or whatever?
No way the Stones would take a chance like that or act like that.

He was given a rehearsal but only one. His beef wasn't with the one rehearsal but the fact that he wasn't told until last minute what he'd be playing on or given any say in the matter. I can believe the Stones wouldn't sound check him probably as he was plugged into Daryl's amp.

I'm interested to hear off Teddy what Bill's attitude was at the NJ sessions? It seems a shame that he won't be involved in Hyde Park 2013 despite him saying categorically that the 69 Hyde Park gig was his favourite moment with the band.

Do you reckon Teddy that he'll be involved in Hyde Park in July?

Date: April 7, 2013 17:47

Two rehearsals, then

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 7, 2013 17:54

Good to hear rehearsals will be underway next week, be great if one of you Socal's could get some inside info. I wonder if hbwriter will be able to wangle an interview with the band during their LA stay?

Date: April 7, 2013 21:31

TeddyB1018
i had it on excellent authority that Bill was at the New Jersey rehearsals and filming session, not merely in London. The Stones were not at all thrilled with his attitude (I took this to mean Mick and Keith both, I don't know about Charlie). It was decided that taking Bill on in any serious fashion was going to be a pain in the ass. I believe this is why he was not offered a larger role. I posted this at the time, not to expect much. He was invited as a guest. If he wanted more, he certainly didn't play his cards right.

I stand corrected--in that he actually did take part in one rehearsal for the 2012 hows, but cannot find any source where he admits having been present at the New Jersey rehearsals.

He told The Times: "In December 2011 Keith Richards called and said, 'Come on mate, why don't you have a jam with us?' Then they asked if I'd be interested in getting involved in the band for a special occasion. I thought I would get quite heavily involved, so when they said they only wanted me to do two songs I was a bit disappointed."

Wyman also revealed that he wasn't given much time to rehearse with the rest of the band. "I only had one rehearsal and no soundcheck so I just winged it. It was great, but I didn't want to go to America for two songs. I think they understood. Well, Charlie Watts did," he said.

Read more at: [www.nme.com]

Date: April 7, 2013 21:37

Might be that Bill is referring to the NJ-rehearsal as the one rehearsal, sine the London-thing was more informal?

It's not public info that Bill was there, but Teddy has the inside info.

Date: April 7, 2013 21:56

DandelionPowderman
Might be that Bill is referring to the NJ-rehearsal as the one rehearsal, sine the London-thing was more informal?

It's not public info that Bill was there, but Teddy has the inside info.

Presumably he knows someone who was there? Not that I would ask him to name names or anything, but just to confirm whether that was the case. In interviews last year, Keith makes no mention of Bill's presence, whereas both Keith and Bill acknowledge his presence for the London 2011 jam. Other sources list Don Was as having played bass for the 4 songs Brett Morgan filmed at the studio [Tangerine] in Weehawken. If Bill had appeared, you would think it would have been a big enough deal to at least acknowledge that it had taken place. It seems odd that Bill would be given his one rehearsal in May for shows in November that weren't even in the planning stages at that point. At that point, Keith was telling Rolling Stone that there was a "chance" the band would be playing "at least one" show later in the year. They were to meet in London in July to further discuss those performance possibilities.

In late April, the Stones began rehearsing in New York and continued working across the Hudson River in Weehawken, New Jersey, inviting a film crew led by director Brett Morgen to shoot footage for a documentary celebrating the group's anniversary, set for a fall release. The Stones blasted through classics including "Beast of Burden," "Respectable," "Fool to Cry" and "Gimme Shelter." "We played everything, really," says Richards. "We're just getting our chops together. It was like playing in the garage, a maintenance check, you know?"

The vibe was joyful, with Keith Richards and Mick Jagger joking around between takes.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Even though the Rolling Stones announced that they will not be touring in 2012 for the band's 50th anniversary, there are still rumors that the Stones will do at least one live performance in 2012. Several fan sites are reporting that the Rolling Stones have been rehearsing in a studio in Weehawken, New Jersey, from late April 2012 to early May 2012. At the rehearsals, Rolling Stones producer Don Was has reportedly been filling in on bass for Darryl Jones while Jones is performing in Europe.

May 3-5, 2012: The Rolling Stones continue rehearsals - which are filmed - in a studio in Weehawken, New Jersey, with Chuck Leavell on piano and Don Was on bass.

Keith Richards & Stones documentary film director Brett Morgan (May 2012): The NY-NJ maintenance check

Keith: It was fantastic. We played everything. Charlie and the band were in top form. I realized it had been five years!... We just did it to get our chops together. It was like playing in the garage. A maintenance check, you know?

Morgan: Someone would mention a song and within the second run they had nailed it. Having screened 50 years of material over the last six months, I would rank it up there with anything I've ever heard from them. They were extremely tight.

Date: April 7, 2013 22:04

Don was probably filling in, since it didn't work so well with Bill.

Teddy has stated that he has inside info, extremely good authority. I read somewhere that Bill was seen in NJ as well - but seemingly, this was very low-key.

It's not very unlikely he was there, since the rehearsals spanned thru a longer period of time than we were aware of back then.

Date: April 7, 2013 22:28

DandelionPowderman
Don was probably filling in, since it didn't work so well with Bill.

Teddy has stated that he has inside info, extremely good authority. I read somewhere that Bill was seen in NJ as well - but seemingly, this was very low-key.

It's not very unlikely he was there, since the rehearsals spanned thru a longer period of time than we were aware of back then.

Assuming that he was present in New Jersey in May 2012, we have to ask ourselves why this occasion didn't go so well, whereas things went smoothly and happily in London 2011. I would contend that it was because the invitation for London 2011 came from Keith and that Mick was largely absent, whereas Mick was more involved in the New Jersey 2012 sessions--and relations between Mick and Bill have chilled considerably over the last 10 years, since Bill has had sharply critical things to say both about Mick's personality and his knighthood....

Wyman left the band after their 1989-90 world tour amid rumours that he had fallen out with Sir Mick and Keith Richards. There was further evidence of a chill in relations when Wyman criticised the decision to airbrush his image from archive photographs on the sleeve of the Stones’ 2005 album, Rarities.

He also expressed his anger that he wasn’t given sufficient credit as a songwriter and described Sir Mick as an “egomaniac”. Wyman later withdrew from supporting an exhibition celebrating the Stones as “cultural icons” that was going to be staged at the Victoria & Albert Museum.

Of Jagger’s knighthood, Wyman had, in 2003, told me tartly: “I know they would never give me a knighthood, even though, unlike Mick, I do live in this country, and, like [the drummer] Charlie Watts, do a lot more charity work than him. I also think to give it to Mick and not to Keith Richards, the co-founder of the band, is a bit unfair. Maybe John Lennon did the right thing when he sent his MBE back.”

Mick does not forget such things, and this is why Bill was given little to do with with the 2012 rehearsals/shows, in contrast to Mick Taylor--Mick simply doesn't want him around.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 7, 2013 22:50

I like how when Mick says 'Bill' it sounds like 'Biww'.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 7, 2013 23:22

What I heard, Bill's attitude was demanding enough that it wasn't only Mick who found him a pain. Remember, the band hadn't been all together save the one day that Mick was able to come by in London. It was important that they fell into a groove together. They were meaning to film, as they did, though choosing not to use it so far. Presumably this is one reason Bill was invited. Don did go in after the start, though I dont know if he was planning to be there anyway. He isn't who told me about what was going on in this case. It's understandable that Bill held his ground, as an original member. Mick Taylor obviously played his hand differently, but he's also a third guitarist, not a replacement for the one bassist. But yeah, I don't think you're going to find official corroboration for any of this in the press. It's the Rolling Stones.

Date: April 7, 2013 23:27

Thanks, Teddy. Very interesting indeed!

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 7, 2013 23:34

TeddyB1018
What I heard, Bill's attitude was demanding enough that it wasn't only Mick who found him a pain. Remember, the band hadn't been all together save the one day that Mick was able to come by in London. It was important that they fell into a groove together. They were meaning to film, as they did, though choosing not to use it so far. Presumably this is one reason Bill was invited. Don did go in after the start, though I dont know if he was planning to be there anyway. He isn't who told me about what was going on in this case. It's understandable that Bill held his ground, as an original member. Mick Taylor obviously played his hand differently, but he's also a third guitarist, not a replacement for the one bassist. But yeah, I don't think you're going to find official corroboration for any of this in the press. It's the Rolling Stones.

Isn't this all hearsay? And presumption?

confused smiley

I wasn't there either, so I cannot give hearsay nor presumption. I would like to hear it all from Bill himself.

Meanwhile, rehearsals begin this week. People in LA......keep your eyes peeled!

hot smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 7, 2013 23:39

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes
Date: April 2, 2013 10:14

They are in LA rehearsing.

[www.iorr.org]

Hearsay or presumption?

Date: April 7, 2013 23:43

Cocaine Eyes
TeddyB1018

Isn't this all hearsay? And presumption?

confused smiley

I wasn't there either, so I cannot give hearsay nor presumption. I would like to hear it all from Bill himself.

Hopefully Bill will include the events of 2012 in his upcoming autobiography. Originally the Stone Alone sequel was supposed to only cover the 70s and 80s, but at this point in his life it would make sense to write something that his all-encompassing.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home