Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: JOHN LENNON - Gone 30 Years Ago - 12/8. Video Tribute (+ Walking on Thin Ice), Page 3
Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: December 5, 2010 03:12

WALKING ON THIN ICE (the last song) - The Tape he was carrying when he was shot

TOPIC TITLE CHANGE FROM THE CNN SPECIAL - same post/new title

THIS FIRST PARAGRAPH ADDED LAST SUNDAY MORNING AFTER THE CNN SPECIAL
The CNN Special had some new disturbing information - You do find out that the FREAK who shot Lennon - I never use his name - part of the reason he shot Lennon was for instant fame so screw him and his very sick, twisted need for major attention. He had voices in his head - the "little people vs the big people" the little people won on 12/8. People like this should be in mental hospitals before they can do any major harm to others. His wife knew he was greatly troubled, she should have done more - others knew something was really "not right" in his head but everyone pretends it's not that bad then something horrible like this happens.

Losing Lennon was such a major shock in my (and almost everybody else's) life that I still miss him and his brilliant art/music. I could barely function for at least 3 days when it happened - depressed and crying. His music was so important to me, The Beatles were so important to so many of us as we grew up with them. Like Kennedy, some people's unexpected (violent) death changes EVERYTHING. In my life, MLK and RFK are also on that short list with Lennon and JFK. Even though Harrison died years later from Lung Cancer he was also attacked in his home by a freak with a knife. What is with these people and the world of evil and dark illusion they live in - I will never understand it fully but it's just SO pathetic.... what a dark world we live in (at least some of the time)....

December 8th is the 30th anniversary of Lennon's Murder. A horrible day and the sick effing creep with the gun is still alive while the BRILLIANT artist is gone forever...

THE FAMOUS "FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT" IN THE USA DURING A LIVE, NIGHT TIME FOOTBALL GAME

CBS NIGHTLY NEWS THE NEXT DAY

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 15:07 by CrissCrossMind.

Re: OT: "LOSING LENNON - Countdown To Murder" Special on CNN now !!
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 5, 2010 03:39

There's gotta be a better way of remembering Lennon. sad smiley

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: December 5, 2010 03:47

CrissCrossMind
It's 12/4/10 - 5:10 PM (Saturday) in LA, 8:10 PM in NYC. The CNN special just started. A lot of interviews and rare music. Really good so far....... (Will repeat many times I'm sure)

December 8th (4 days away) is the 30th anniversary of Lennon's Murder. A horrible day and the sick effing creep with the gun is still alive while the BRILLIANT artist is gone forever...

Where were you when Lennon died?

I was in a dorm room at Virginia Tech. Somebody had the Johnny Carson Show on, and he announced it.

He would have been 70angry smiley

Posted by: Damon ()
Date: December 5, 2010 03:55

I can understand why some people can get excited about these kinds of shows and it's a anniversary so to speak...but I will pass on it...it's over and done, the music remains, I don't want to relive that night when I was 17 years old and a happy kid.. his death SUCKED BIG TIME.

When he was killed I didn't cry I wanted to smash things...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-05 03:57 by Damon.

Date: December 5, 2010 04:37

I wouldn't use the word "excited". Actually this special - CNN - was very depressing, VERY depressing.... it's bringing back all the major shock and horrible feelings I had from 30 years ago (but then I want to know what makes a person do such a horrible, senseless thing, I can't imagine how a person can do this.... the special did answer a few questions. Pretty scary what some humans are capable of, it's all very disturbing......

ABC NEWS Report (same night, 1 hour after shooting) December 8th, 1980, "NIGHTLINE"

Re: OT: "LOSING LENNON - Countdown To Murder" Special on CNN
Date: December 5, 2010 05:07

No problems, only solutions

Date: December 5, 2010 05:18

So E.G., what's the solution now?

Date: December 5, 2010 05:19

CrissCrossMind

ask Bono

Date: December 5, 2010 05:20

CrissCrossMind

Around this time of year, I'd rather just remember Lennon.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: December 5, 2010 05:23

I didn't find out until I woke up for school the next day. My mom was crying her eyes out. I never seen my mom cry like that, I thought my grandmother died, I asked her what happened. She said they shot and killed John Lennon last night.

Here are two of my favourite JL solo tunes.

Date: December 5, 2010 05:28

.... E.G. Here's one of 2 correct answers
(a 100% Lennon song and it's mostly live)
I'm sure Lennon would want us to carry on
with his work from the early 70's - he's
missed more than ever, he's NEEDED more
than ever now.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-05 05:37 by CrissCrossMind.

Date: December 5, 2010 05:37

#2 ?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 5, 2010 06:00

Much better to remember him on his birthday than the date on which he was murdered.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 5, 2010 06:17

I know, Schillid, but there is something sacred about the anniversary of his death. I was just a kid, 8 years old, but it was the first meaningful memory of rock and roll I have, the day he died. I was big into the Beatles and by the end of that day, I was as sad as anything, and the more I learned about John Lennon, the more I mourned like his longtime fans did. Now I am a longtime fan, 38, and I still find myself wondering what would have happened had he not passed. Probably some cheesy 80's music interspersed with some gems, and probably a Beatles reunion somewhere along the way. His birthday in Oct. is always commemorated too, but it is 12/8/80 that I remember as such a powerful event.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 5, 2010 06:27

Edith Grove

As much as I love the original version of this song. That one is very good as well. And in the End. Might be the definitive Lennon song.

Date: December 5, 2010 06:32

True Schillid but the same thing happens on November 22nd. E.G. - GIVE PEACE A CHANCE - written about the Vietnam/Laos/Cambodian War.... Great song, great message (but what happens when the true enemy is within? Something to think about)

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 5, 2010 07:32

was interesting to me that this show (nor another i watched last night) mentioned the todd rundgren connection - that chapman worshipped todd as well and even left a shrine to him at the sheraton hotel where he last stayed (unless i missed it)

todd and lennon had some history together - not all of it good - but they made a little peace in the mid 70s (john called todd one night when jagger had stopped by with bebe buell - todd's then girlfriend in 74-75 ish)

i interned at todd's studio around this time - when the fbi told todd all this stuff it seemed to affect him a great deal

a bit more background from spinner.com

[www.spinner.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-05 07:33 by hbwriter.

Date: December 5, 2010 07:36

Paul's Great Tribute "HERE TODAY" to his friend and partner

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 5, 2010 07:42

CrissCrossMind

Yeah Paul still includes that in his live show these days. Very nice indeed.

Date: December 5, 2010 07:54

CrissCrossMind

that's awesome -was that the show at Amoeba Records?

Date: December 5, 2010 08:05

I remember in Seaman's book that he said John was very interest in what Rundgren was always up to...hmmm.

Date: December 5, 2010 08:44

hbwriter
that's awesome -was that the show at Amoeba Records?

Yes hb, from the audience clips I've seen on YouTube it's a shame Amoeba wasn't professionally shot. Would make an interesting and excellent live DVD. There is that short CD with a few songs but a DVD with the whole show would have been great...

Date: December 5, 2010 08:48

someone I know was at this - found herself standing next to ringo - and yeah, agree, plus a lot of these amoeba in-stores would make great produced dvds

Date: December 5, 2010 10:16

I am surprised he hasn't had more meltdowns singing all those songs when the words take on new meanings as time goes by.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: December 5, 2010 14:00

We tried to watch that thing on CNN last night, but it was far too depressing. We turned it off.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: December 5, 2010 16:20

Dr. Stephan Lynn, the doctor who tried to save John Lennon remembers the icon's dying day

Dr. Stephan Lynn stands in the shampoo aisle of CVS, which used to be the emergency room of Roosevelt Hospital, and the spot where John Lennon was declared dead.

Thirty years ago this week, a young New York doctor held the heart of a generation in his hands.

It was about 11 p.m. on Dec. 8, 1980, and Dr. Stephan Lynn had just walked into his West Side apartment after a 13-hour shift at Roosevelt Hospital's ER.

Suddenly, the phone rang.

"Please come back," a nurse blurted out to the 33-year-old director of emergency medicine. "The police are bringing in a gunshot wound with no vital signs."

Neither Lynn nor the nurse had any idea who the victim was - nor did they know that minutes earlier, a deranged stalker fired four bullets into John Lennon as the former Beatle and his wife, Yoko Ono, stepped out of a limo in front of The Dakota on W. 72nd St.

As New Yorkers are poised to mark the 30th anniversary of Lennon's death with vigils and tributes, the doctor who played a central role that night recalled the heroic - but futile - efforts to save a musical genius whose death broke the world's heart.

Sitting in Roosevelt's emergency room, where he is still on the job, the soft-spoken doctor, now 63, recounted every detail as if it were yesterday:

"I raced back to the hospital in a cab and got there just two minutes before two police officers arrived" with a fading Lennon in the back seat, Lynn recounted.

"I had no idea who the patient was. It wasn't until a nurse looked inside his wallet for identification that we realized who it was.

"In death he looked almost nothing like he looked in life. He was gray, he was gaunt, he had no signs of life. He had no pulse, no blood pressure...He was not breathing. We could have at that moment declared him dead."

25 frantic minutes

Lynn hoped against hope the bullets had not done irreversible damage, something that would let them refill Lennon's body with blood and rush him to the operating room and save him.

It was not to be. For the next 25 minutes a team of three surgeons and six nurses worked frantically.

Lynn said they cut open his chest and found massive blood loss; his heart was empty and still. The major vessels that carried blood from Lennon's heart to the rest of his body were destroyed.

Mark Chapman's bullets had been fired into Lennon's chest at close range just hours after Chapman got Lennon's autograph.

"I took his heart in my hand and massaged it to see if we could restore some cardiac function, to see if we could get it beating again, to see if perhaps with giving him some blood we could get something started," the somber-faced doctor said. "Nothing worked."

The damage was so great he could not have survived even with today's medical advances, Lynn said.

As the reality of Lennon's death set in, some ER staffers began to cry. Lynn remained stoic; his role in the night's unfolding tragedy had only just begun.

'Tell me it's not true!'

Now he had to give a distraught Ono the terrible news. She was waiting in a small, drab room at the end of the hall with record producer David Geffen.

"She didn't take it well," Lynn recalled. "She screamed for what felt like five minutes: 'You're a liar! Tell me it's not true! I can't believe it! He can't be dead!'"

Finally, Ono accepted Lynn's words. She asked him to hold off on a public announcement until she could get home and tell their 5-year-old son, Sean.

As she left to tell her son, Lynn, with just two years as ER chief under his belt, steeled himself for the moment when he would have to tell the world the dreadful news.

Shortly after 11:30 p.m., Lynn walked into the hospital lobby in his white coat and faced hundreds of shouting reporters and more than 300 cameras.

"I said what I needed to say," he remembered. "I wasn't going to take any questions. I made my statement and that was it."

An exhausted Lynn then turned to Saundra Shohen, the veteran ER administrator who was keeping the crowd at bay and made sure Lennon's belongings, the bloodied sheets, and his medical record were kept under wraps.

John Doe & John Lennon

There was a last hurdle to clear: Lynn and Shohen wheeled Lennon's sheet-wrapped body through a special passage to a loading dock where the medical examiner's van waited.

An unwelcome surprise awaited. As Lennon's stretcher was rolled onto the van, the driver whipped out a clipboard and said: "Wait. We have an order to pick up another body. The morgue is getting two bodies."

As it turned out, a "John Doe" who had died earlier that day at Roosevelt was also awaiting transport to the morgue.

It was an irony Lennon would have loved: The man who sang about working class heroes shared his last ride with a poor man who was never identified.

Shohen, now 76, choked back tears as she recalled waiting next to Lennon's body: "I put my hand on his head, and said, 'We tried, John.'"

This Thursday, Lynn and his wife will walk to Strawberry Fields to remember a man and the magic he gave his adopted city.

In the 30 years since, the emergency room where Lennon was declared dead has been relocated to 59th St. The original site - at 58th St. and Ninth Ave. - is a CVS drug store; the spot where doctors tried to save Lennon is aisle 5, where hair shampoo is sold.

"I am sad I was only able to play a role in his death," Lynn said. "I can't help but think the world would have been a better place had he lived."

[www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: December 5, 2010 16:28

Tate
I know, Schillid, but there is something sacred about the anniversary of his death. I was just a kid, 8 years old, but it was the first meaningful memory of rock and roll I have, the day he died. I was big into the Beatles and by the end of that day, I was as sad as anything, and the more I learned about John Lennon, the more I mourned like his longtime fans did. Now I am a longtime fan, 38, and I still find myself wondering what would have happened had he not passed. Probably some cheesy 80's music interspersed with some gems, and probably a Beatles reunion somewhere along the way. His birthday in Oct. is always commemorated too, but it is 12/8/80 that I remember as such a powerful event.

Hey Tate, I was 8 years old as well.

I went out and bought my first vinyl album shortly after which was the Beatles greatest hits - 20 tracks. Played it over and over......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-05 16:29 by nanker phelge.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 5, 2010 17:14

sweetcharmedlife
Edith Grove

As much as I love the original version of this song. That one is very good as well. And in the End. Might be the definitive Lennon song.

Yes, EdithG, thank you so much, my favorite tune of his as well.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 5, 2010 18:50

Brue
Where were you when Lennon died?

I was in a dorm room at Virginia Tech. Somebody had the Johnny Carson Show on, and he announced it.

He would have been 70angry smiley[/quote

I was in my kitchen working on my Statistics homework getting ready for the final exam. I think Lennon's murder is one of those things where everyone remembers where they were when it happened. Just like when Kennedy was shot, the first Space Shuttle exploding and 9/11.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2010 19:12

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2028
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home