Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

She's A Rainbow
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:31

Always thought this was a psychedelic classic. Does Keith do the "ooh la la" vocals on it?

Re: She's A Rainbow
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:09

71Tele
Always thought this was a psychedelic classic. Does Keith do the "ooh la la" vocals on it?

Yep, that's Keith.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:39

Mathijs
71Tele

Yep, that's Keith.

Mathijs

It's Keith but speeded up.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:55

Wonderful song, with one of my favourite Nick Hopkins contributions.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:57

Silver Dagger
Mathijs
71Tele

Yep, that's Keith.

Mathijs

It doesn't sound sped up. It sounds like his normal falsetto voice.

Mathijs

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:24

Squiggle
Wonderful song, with one of my favourite Nick Hopkins contributions.

The whole album is a Nicky contribution! In this album, he is not a session musician... but a 6th Rolling Stone! What you hear in the beggining (Sing this all togheter) is his piano, and what you listen in the end (the crazy solo after "Pajaro Campana") is his piano... Nicky at his most creative pop-venue. Just listen to Satanic Sessions' 8 CD box and you will notice he is side by side with Keith... the lantern is a very good one!

Going back to "Rainbow", the sting arragnement, the mellotron, the piano, the vocal, are as beauty as can be. J&R can make really good pop songs at that time!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: November 10, 2010 23:44

Mathijs
Silver Dagger
Mathijs
71Tele

Yep, that's Keith.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Actually it (sounds to me like it) is recorded at a slower speed, and then you get these wonderful ooh lala's at normal speed. Killer track and arrangements!!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 11, 2010 00:42

Sacke
Mathijs
Silver Dagger
Mathijs
71Tele

Yep, that's Keith.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Actually it (sounds to me like it) is recorded at a slower speed, and then you get these wonderful ooh lala's at normal speed. Killer track and arrangements!!!

This is an interesting discussion. If a track is sped up, it raises the pitch (prior to the digital age, anyway). So, Keith would have had to know how much slower and off pitch (lower) to sing to compensate and sing it lower and slower while listening to it at the correct speed and pitch. Hmm....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 11, 2010 01:04

One of of the best "ooh la la" the Stones did the Beatles and Kinks "ooh la la's" are overall better in my opinion, but on the other hand the Stones aren't an "ooh la la" band.............
Great song b.t.w.

Date: November 11, 2010 02:51

The slowing down or speeding up of the tape to get different vocal effects is something the Beatles did very heavily starting around Rubber Soul/Revolver. Listen to McCartney's vocal on "Lady Madonna". He got that depth from recording at a faster speed, so when it was slowed down to "normal" it sounded lower. Alas, this little trick has been lost with digital recording.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:08

The outtakes of this songs are a true gem, both Nicky on piano & Brian on the mellotron shine on this one.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:35

71Tele
The slowing down or speeding up of the tape to get different vocal effects is something the Beatles did very heavily starting around Rubber Soul/Revolver. Listen to McCartney's vocal on "Lady Madonna". He got that depth from recording at a faster speed, so when it was slowed down to "normal" it sounded lower. Alas, this little trick has been lost with digital recording.

Apparently SHE LOVES YOU was sped up. Compare and contrast below:

Unreleased original "natural" speed version:

Official release, sped up version:

Date: November 11, 2010 03:39

Title5Take1
71Tele

Apparently SHE LOVES YOU was sped up. Compare and contrast below:

Unreleased original "natural" speed version:

Official release, sped up version:

Wow, you're right. To add to that, DJ's on Top 40 radio stations would also speed up the records to give them a little extra urgencey (and also save time for more records), so She Loves You would have really been sped up on the radio!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:46

I'd like them to try a live version of this again. I have a boot from 2002 or so but the quality is a bit poor. Definitely one of my favorites of all time.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 11, 2010 09:26

The RS did a very nice psychedelic-pop-rock work with NO EXTERNAL PRODUCER; i mean that they made very complex arrangmentes with no george Martin helping them.
There are tru gems in this album: She's a rainbow, 2000 lyfh, 2000 man, citadel.......................
They just had the supporting of people like nicKy hopkins and JPJ (future LZ BASSIST)

What would have happened with a producer like George Martin????

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: November 11, 2010 12:08

I'm not a big fan of this song but it is cool in that it takes risks. I would love to see the video or tv shot which seems to have been lost.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: November 11, 2010 23:22

texas fan
Sacke
Mathijs
Silver Dagger
Mathijs
71Tele

Yep, that's Keith.

Mathijs

Mathijs

This is an interesting discussion. If a track is sped up, it raises the pitch (prior to the digital age, anyway). So, Keith would have had to know how much slower and off pitch (lower) to sing to compensate and sing it lower and slower while listening to it at the correct speed and pitch. Hmm....

Huh? When slowing down the track, the only thing Keith had to do is to sing in tune! By speeding up the track to the original speed the band played in, Keith (ofcourse) stayed in tune! Only thing he had to do is to listen back to it, and wondering if he liked the effect. This is a very simple method.

And i was shocked when i found out that Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen" original 50s release was sped up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home