Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I'm new here, treat me gently!
Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 4, 2010 18:12

keefyboy
I can remember going to the one in Paris, i bought the ticket as a package with a hotel and meet Mick Jagger, the coach picked us up and drove to the venue and waited outside for mick to turn up, guess what, he didn't show, my girlfriend and i got of the coach and met some friends who also had tickets to go to the show. Our seats were in the posh section so i felt as if i couldn't stand up, we were at the fron so I could see everything.

The show started with some indian drummers dancing around the areana building up the energy then the intro to honky tonk women, the lotas stage slowly opened like a huge flower and Mick Jagger was hanging on the unside, what an opening. Billy Preston on keyboard, it was a fantastic gig, just couldn't help but stand up and dance.

Knebworth was tottally different, we waited for hours for the Stones to come on, i can just remember being really cold at night after a very hot day, when the Stones eventually came on the whole place errupted, they plays for about 2 and a half hours i think, such a great stage, it was a giant Mouth with the tounge as a catwalk, Mick was prancing up and down as he does. i can remeber dancing around someones campfire to Around and Around. All that is said about Knebworth is complete rubbish to me, knowbody blew The Stones off the stage, they were superd, loved every minute (well being a Stones fan what else). i look back at youtube now and re-live it. Glad i was there and it coloured my life to the better.

Welcome Keefyboy...I'm also a long-time Stones freak and I remember seeing the Stones in New York in 1975 with the Lotus-Flower stage, but I don't remember that stage being in Paris aux Abattoirs...so are you sure you saw the Stones in Paris or is my memory failing me?

Posted by: keefyboy ()
Date: November 4, 2010 18:18

Turd On The Run
keefyboy
I can remember going to the one in Paris, i bought the ticket as a package with a hotel and meet Mick Jagger, the coach picked us up and drove to the venue and waited outside for mick to turn up, guess what, he didn't show, my girlfriend and i got of the coach and met some friends who also had tickets to go to the show. Our seats were in the posh section so i felt as if i couldn't stand up, we were at the fron so I could see everything.

The show started with some indian drummers dancing around the areana building up the energy then the intro to honky tonk women, the lotas stage slowly opened like a huge flower and Mick Jagger was hanging on the unside, what an opening. Billy Preston on keyboard, it was a fantastic gig, just couldn't help but stand up and dance.

Knebworth was tottally different, we waited for hours for the Stones to come on, i can just remember being really cold at night after a very hot day, when the Stones eventually came on the whole place errupted, they plays for about 2 and a half hours i think, such a great stage, it was a giant Mouth with the tounge as a catwalk, Mick was prancing up and down as he does. i can remeber dancing around someones campfire to Around and Around. All that is said about Knebworth is complete rubbish to me, knowbody blew The Stones off the stage, they were superd, loved every minute (well being a Stones fan what else). i look back at youtube now and re-live it. Glad i was there and it coloured my life to the better.

Welcome Keefyboy...I'm also a long-time Stones freak and I remember seeing the Stones in New York in 1975 with the Lotus-Flower stage, but I don't remember that stage being in Paris aux Abattoirs...so are you sure you saw the Stones in Paris or is my memory failing me?

Definatly in Paris, I can still see Mick hanging onto that stage as it opened, I think it must be your memory.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 4, 2010 18:22

Welcome, and I envy for being able to see the great lineup with Taylor. My first show was 1975, and though I have seen dozens, I would have loved to see them from '69-'73.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 4, 2010 19:46

Ha ha, as they say, 'if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen'...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 4, 2010 20:12

Come on in - we don't bite...

By the way, I don't recommend Googling for "bite" images unless you have a strong stomach!

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: November 4, 2010 20:18

keefyboy
Eleanor Rigby
NICOS
Welcome keefyboy.

We will be gentle......we give you a week to settle winking smiley

correct, 1 weeks grace, then it's full on ! smiling smiley

Make sure you have an opinion on Mick Taylor vs Ron Wood, and if any of the band members wear wigs....

I'd better get in quick then, Loved Mick Taylor and love Ronnie so I'll sit on the fence on that one and yes all the band wear wigs apart from Charlie.

And another thing to keep in mind, Gazza loves Bon Jovi so if in dialogue with him, mention them. And if you see a thread saying that there will definitely bema tour next year, don't believe it!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 4, 2010 20:19

Green Lady
Come on in - we don't bite...

By the way, I don't recommend Googling for "bite" images unless you have a strong stomach!

Thanks for the warning confused smiley .........................don't know why I had to look confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 00:11 by NICOS.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 4, 2010 20:21

Assume the position, keefyboy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 4, 2010 20:46

Hopefully you will not be irrationally accused of having dozens of aliases...unless of course you are an alias.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 4, 2010 21:21

Always good to have new blood in here...don't worry about the comments, most of them are grumpy old @#$%& with too much time on their hands! Only joking, before you all leap to attack. It's somewhere to voice an opinion, so say what you like, there will always be someone who doesnt like it!

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: November 4, 2010 23:52

Welcome to this forum! ......

......Welcome to HELL!
(run away while you got the chance!!!!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 23:53 by Pelle.

Date: November 5, 2010 00:03

Grat comments, thanks for the warm welcome everyone, look forward to some juicy discussions.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: November 5, 2010 01:18

Hi Keefyboy. I'm new on this forum too so your not alone as a newbie on here mate.

I've been following the Stones since 1974 and my first gig was Knebworth in 1976. Similar experience as you funnily enough a few of my mates had been to the Earls Court shows and said they were going to Knebworth if I was interested.

I remember going into one of the old Harlequins record stores in Ludgate Hill in London and buying a ticket at the counter for the princely sum of £4.50. This was weeks after the gig was announced and tickets were still easily available mind you I had no idea there was going to be 250k people at the gig! That was the crowd numbers according to the British papers anyway.

We caught a special train the night before from London Kings Cross (The Stones Train) to Stevenage and I think there were buses taking us to the park. It was my 16th birthday and we had no tents or anything just turned up as we were and spent the night drinking beer and wine and sitting around bonfires with older Stones fans and hippies. It was my first ever rock gig and I did not know what to expect I think our parents were worried we would get beaten up by the Hells Angels but it was a really chilled out evening.

Massive queues to get in to the arena in the morning and some great music from bands like Todd Rundgren, Lynryd Skynrd and 10CC. I agree with you though the Stones were not blown off stage they came on much later than all the other acts so the dust had settled by then. Lynryd Skynrd were new to British audiences and they went down a storm and were hugely popular in the UK but the crowd was mainly there for the Stones.

I remember the Stones came on at 11.30 p.m. (4 hours late) and there was some booing initially which can be heard on the bootlegs but by the end of the opening number which was Satisfaction Jagger had the crowd eating out of his hand. They played until 2.00 a.m. in the morning and it was a fantastic show apart from some dodgy feedback from the amps at one point.

We all trudged home afterwards very tired, sweaty but very very happy. It was the start of a brilliant journey following the greatest Rock N'Roll Band in the world.

Date: November 5, 2010 01:31

Welcome too DartfordRenegade, always great to read reviews.

My first concert was in '73, although I wanted to go the gig in Amsterdam '70 but as a youngster of 16 I was to scared to travel on my own..... and it was only 60KM away from home!!!!

Date: November 5, 2010 01:53

Hi Nicos and thanks for the welcome.

My first and so far only overseas gig with the Stones was in Rotterdam on the 1982 European tour.

It was a package trip including a coach from London, Ferry for the Sea Crossing and Hotel and ticket. The gig was at the Feyenoord football stadium and it was a great weekend.

The J Geils band was supporting and it was great to see the Stones again after 6 years. I also remember the hospitality of the Dutch people who made us feel at home in their country and we had some good nights out in the bars over that weekend.

All these memories are making me hope the Stones do tour again so I can meet up with some of you guys on here and share the good times again.

Posted by: Olive ()
Date: November 5, 2010 02:32

Welcome Keefiboy and welcome DartfordRenegade smileys with beer

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 5, 2010 02:42

keefyboy

I wanted to go and see them at Hyde park but my dad said i was too young i was 15

71 Roundhouse London
73 Empire pool london
76 Earls court London
Les Abattoirs Paris
Knebworth fair

Ha,
I wanted to see them in 81, but my dad said I was too young, 15!
I thought I was the biggest nerd in the world, so its nice to know I wasn't the only one too young at one point.
I had to wait until 89 and I was in heaven all night. You never forget that first time and I've seen them on every tour multiple times since then, but damn - to have seen them when you guys saw them....that's epic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 02:44 by stupidguy2.

Date: November 5, 2010 02:56

Hi stupidguy,

I guess we were lucky to have seen them in the 70's, although I wish I had seen them with Mick Taylor like Keefyboy.

Not long after I saw them at Knebworth I was talking to a customer in the Hardware Store where I was working at the time and he had seen them at Croydon Fairfield Halls in the mid 60's.

I also once knew a lady from Brixton in London who saw them at the Eel Pie Island blues club in the early 60's. I was in awe of this and asked her what they were like and she said "they were okay, nothing special, just basic rock n'roll"

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 5, 2010 02:59

Keefyboy, welcome to this joint.

You too, DartfordRenegade.

Seems like you'll both fit right in!

Date: November 5, 2010 03:01

just basic rock n'roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: November 5, 2010 06:59

Welcome on board the crazy train. Actually we're a nice lot even when we are mad.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 5, 2010 10:57

Welcome too,DartfordRenegade.Nice username btw !smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 5, 2010 11:34

DartfordRenegade
Hi Keefyboy. I'm new on this forum too so your not alone as a newbie on here mate.

I've been following the Stones since 1974 and my first gig was Knebworth in 1976. Similar experience as you funnily enough a few of my mates had been to the Earls Court shows and said they were going to Knebworth if I was interested.

I remember going into one of the old Harlequins record stores in Ludgate Hill in London and buying a ticket at the counter for the princely sum of £4.50. This was weeks after the gig was announced and tickets were still easily available mind you I had no idea there was going to be 250k people at the gig! That was the crowd numbers according to the British papers anyway.

We caught a special train the night before from London Kings Cross (The Stones Train) to Stevenage and I think there were buses taking us to the park. It was my 16th birthday and we had no tents or anything just turned up as we were and spent the night drinking beer and wine and sitting around bonfires with older Stones fans and hippies. It was my first ever rock gig and I did not know what to expect I think our parents were worried we would get beaten up by the Hells Angels but it was a really chilled out evening.

Massive queues to get in to the arena in the morning and some great music from bands like Todd Rundgren, Lynryd Skynrd and 10CC. I agree with you though the Stones were not blown off stage they came on much later than all the other acts so the dust had settled by then. Lynryd Skynrd were new to British audiences and they went down a storm and were hugely popular in the UK but the crowd was mainly there for the Stones.

I remember the Stones came on at 11.30 p.m. (4 hours late) and there was some booing initially which can be heard on the bootlegs but by the end of the opening number which was Satisfaction Jagger had the crowd eating out of his hand. They played until 2.00 a.m. in the morning and it was a fantastic show apart from some dodgy feedback from the amps at one point.

We all trudged home afterwards very tired, sweaty but very very happy. It was the start of a brilliant journey following the greatest Rock N'Roll Band in the world.

I was there with two hats on really, in the 70's i ran a jeans business (Tommy Jeans) and we used to have stalls at all the festivals (and back stage passes) but at this one we had a pitch outside so we had to wait until everyone had gone in before we packed up then went inside to watch the bands.

i had a pitch inside the Arena at all the Reading festivals in the 70's, it was great running a business and watching all my favorite bands at the same time. i have many memories from Reading festival, great times!

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: November 5, 2010 11:44

pgarof
In Newcastle the set was:

1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2. "Live With Me"
3. "Dead Flowers"
4. "Stray Cat Blues"
5. "Love In Vain"
6. "Prodigal Son"
7. "Midnight Rambler"
8. "Bitch"
9. "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'"
10. "Wild Horses"
11. "Honky Tonk Women"
12. "Satisfaction"
13. "Little Queenie"
14. "Brown Sugar"
15. "Street Fighting Man"

Encore:

1. "Sympathy For The Devil"
2. "Let It Rock"

For the rest of the tour some songs were dropped, at certain shows.
[edit] Tour dates

* 04/03/1971 England City Hall - Newcastle upon Tyne, England (2 shows)
* 05/03/1971 England Free Trade Hall - Manchester, England (2 shows)
* 06/03/1971 England Coventry Theatre - Coventry, England, (2 shows)
* 08/03/1971 Scotland Green’s Playhouse - Glasgow, Scotland (2 shows)
* 09/03/1971 England Colston Hall - Bristol, England (2 shows)
* 10/03/1971 England Big Apple - Brighton, England (2 shows)
* 12/03/1971 England Empire Theatre - Liverpool, England (2 shows)
* 13/03/1971 England University of Leeds - Leeds, England
* 14/03/1971 England Roundhouse - London, England (2 shows)

I've different information regarding setlist and dates. The was only one show in Manchester, one in Liverpool and one in Brighton.

Prodigal son, Wild horses and CYHMK were not included in the setlist.

Anybody can help to clarify?

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 5, 2010 19:38

My Dad walked all the way from Leighton Buzzard to Bletchley to see them on their first tour of the UK.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home