Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 3, 2010 13:46

SwayStones
kait
Life by Keith Richards -
autobiography signing at Waterstone's Piccadilly

Thanks for posting this !

Isn't that paulywaul at 2:16? Anyone else spot themselves or someone they know?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2010 21:39

Isn't that paulywaul at 2:16?

Yeah that's the lad .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: December 4, 2010 11:57

And The Worst at 1:59!
So many nice people in that queue!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 4, 2010 17:14

Yes, that's right Addicted. It's me from 0.19 to 0.39 as well.
And don't forget Monkeytonkman from 0.40!
From 0.50 is the guy who was number one in the cue - he was also number one in the cue at 100 club on Wednesday if I remember correcetly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-04 17:15 by The Worst..

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 4, 2010 18:10

Thank you Kait. Great video. Always good to see Stonesfriends

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 6, 2010 02:13

The Worst, now I remember meeting you or at least briefly
greeting you in Norway. Good to see you on the video.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 6, 2010 07:47

the recent issue of Uncut with The Kinks on the cover has a very good and balanced review of Life.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: December 6, 2010 16:20

whitem8
the recent issue of Uncut with The Kinks on the cover has a very good and balanced review of Life.

Which month is it? The most recent issue I have seen has Paul Weller on the cover.

As for the book....a great read so far. I jusmped right to the Chuck Berry section before going back to page one. I can't say Keef's observations surprise me. As discussed elsewhere, Chuck WAS being a bully. He was finally playing with true musicians and had to play catch-up. Bullies are at their worst when they realize their flaws have been exposed.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: December 6, 2010 18:49

liddas
The winos is Keith's idea of how things should work. The 1988 Japan Australian solo tour is Jagger's version. Now tell me which is Vegas?

Best post since 2002

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 7, 2010 10:21

Well if you are so happy with Keith and winos,go for them.
I,ll stick to a Jagger concert anytime.
Winos is boring

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 7, 2010 17:15

After finishing the book, reading the threads here, comparing Ronnie's book to Keith's, and thinking for a few weeks, I have come to one simple conclusion...

Based strictly on their own words, Ronnie seems to have had much more fun in life than Keith. Maybe the level of drugs, maybe the circumstances, maybe the basic difference in their personalities.

When I read about Ronnie's life, I am envious and his stories make me smile.
When I read about Keith's life, I am mostly sad.

In my humble opinion...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 7, 2010 17:23

Kurt
After finishing the book, reading the threads here, comparing Ronnie's book to Keith's, and thinking for a few weeks, I have come to one simple conclusion...

Based strictly on their own words, Ronnie seems to have had much more fun in life than Keith. Maybe the level of drugs, maybe the circumstances, maybe the basic difference in their personalities.

When I read about Ronnie's life, I am envious and his stories make me smile.
When I read about Keith's life, I am mostly sad.

In my humble opinion...

Okay, but then the question remains why Ronnie had (or still has, I don't know) so many problems with alcohol addiction during his life. I don't think he was (still is?) drinking so much because he felt (is feeling) so good and enjoyed (is enjoying) life so much. But unlike many others here I have the impression that being Keith wasn't and isn't something to envy. So on that one I go with you.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 7, 2010 17:38

I have thought about the differences between the addictions. Can't say to be sure, but they all seem to be a bitch.

Maybe it comes down to their personalities, in general.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 8, 2010 11:29

Vocalion
liddas
The winos is Keith's idea of how things should work. The 1988 Japan Australian solo tour is Jagger's version. Now tell me which is Vegas?

Best post since 2002

uh,yeah..but in reality that so called "vegas show" works really well at entertaining large amounts of people in stadiums and brings in big dollars so that a certain guitarist can live a very nice lifestyle.

face it kid's,keith plays the hits,acts the act and cash's the checks just like jagger.when you grow up you'll understand two things-1.mick and keith are in business together and 2.they do it for the money.

do you really think that keith has some high minded idea of what music should be at this stage of the game? when chet flippo asked him what he wanted the stones legacy to be he said"ABOUT FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS" and that was in 1995.

seriously,grow up.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: December 8, 2010 14:03

lem motlow
Vocalion
liddas

Best post since 2002

uh,yeah..but in reality that so called "vegas show" works really well at entertaining large amounts of people in stadiums and brings in big dollars so that a certain guitarist can live a very nice lifestyle.

face it kid's,keith plays the hits,acts the act and cash's the checks just like jagger.when you grow up you'll understand two things-1.mick and keith are in business together and 2.they do it for the money.

do you really think that keith has some high minded idea of what music should be at this stage of the game? when chet flippo asked him what he wanted the stones legacy to be he said"ABOUT FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS" and that was in 1995.

seriously,grow up.

No thanks

Date: December 8, 2010 17:41

Here's a message to Keith and his sycofans - "wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 8, 2010 18:11

wanderingspirit66
Here's a message to Keith and his sycofans - "wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?"
Perhaps Keith and his sycofans would appreciate your message better,if you put in some type of human language.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:31

harlem shuffle
Well if you are so happy with Keith and winos,go for them.
I,ll stick to a Jagger concert anytime.
Winos is boring

That's right. those obligitary Keith songs are also such an annoyance, the man can't sing, it's a joke, that people don't start laughing is because basically we have good manners and know Mick will come back on stage anytime. And another thing, what is wrong with those stadium tours, what's wrong with a good show? They are great, the Stones have even been pronounced as the best live act ever. What more do you want? a pillar of fire?

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: December 10, 2010 07:01

So far, I read to page 25 and then skipped to chapter 3.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 10, 2010 18:11

Just finished reading, have to agree with some of the comments here, first part about his childhood was nice, the part about the 70's is embarrasing, showing "the blade" and all that crap...

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 10, 2010 20:55

Life is still selling very well in France. At the well known store in France : Fnac, Keith is # 5 ( he has been in this chart for seven weeks )

[livre.fnac.com]

I heard also good crticism this week on different radios, notably France Inter and Europe #1 highly recommending this book as a Christmas present.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 11, 2010 15:38

.....Life..is already available in garage sales for $1.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 11, 2010 18:57

Rip This
.....Life..is already available in garage sales for $1.

Cool. I'd like to buy a few copies. Can you give some addresses ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: December 12, 2010 14:34

sweetcharmedlife
wanderingspirit66
Perhaps Keith and his sycofans would appreciate your message better,if you put in some type of human language.

Lol!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 12, 2010 14:46

The Worst.
Yes, that's right Addicted. It's me from 0.19 to 0.39 as well.
And don't forget Monkeytonkman from 0.40!
From 0.50 is the guy who was number one in the cue - he was also number one in the cue at 100 club on Wednesday if I remember correcetly.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 21:52

I'm glad he mentioned the Myers brothers when he talks about listening to blues records in the early years. Brilliant guitar players who practically invented the whole "weaving" thing playing with Little Walter.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: December 13, 2010 14:54

Review in EFEEME, Spain´s music magazine, [www.efeeme.com]

Translation,

"It avoids telling, and that seems to have been quite sincere, though without putting your hands in the garbage, that the business continues to rise-blind, how their relationship has deteriorated to the lead singer which draws a portrait rather fierce "

The announcement that Keith Richards walked loosely constructed his memoirs, after dollar contract, up a media frenzy at the thought of the stories I could tell the Rolling Stone with a reputation for Wilder, the great pirate, scoundrel, that of endless orgies The unrepentant junkie, who, according to urban legend told, quite frequently traveled to Switzerland for him to change his blood and so continue to keep up his skinny bones ... Fifty percent of the brain two heads of the Rolling Stones. "Life" (Global Rhythm), once translated into Castilian, the global launch has been almost simultaneous, like a new "Harry Potter" is involved, "Richards introduces us to a closer and less of what the Gulf Legend has left us, taking away some of the iron darkest episodes, denying others, the good man seems to be aware of everything that is said about him and have read the literature stone-and telling some unpublished.
Logical, is not Richards who has been to work and has fueled the computer keyboard: It has made interviews by journalist James Fox, who had ordered and put in black and white information, but then the guitarist Say this much, this is not. " We thank the text keep the tone conversational and colegueo of Rolling Stone, and have not fallen into the temptation of trying to sign great literature or to pass the protagonist for what is not. But like any autobiography that price, it looks very much to paint a sad portrait of himself and tries to get the best possible (of course, who would bother to write a memoir to go through a complete win?) aimed at the autocondescendencia: In its long junkie let the weight of the group rests with Jagger, and when he returns to lift his head and strange feelings are hurt that has been driving the car (and holding his professional carelessness) it happens and want to continue holding the reins. The episode of the output of the sixth stone, Ian Stewart is solved as if we were naive willing to communicate with anything. After the first few pages explain how the money will move decisively to be what they are, then we must believe that, almost fifty years later when he and Jagger relations three decades ago that are confined almost exclusively to the business are mola this because they play together every night. Come on give me a break!!!
On the contrary, it avoids telling, and that seems to have been quite sincere, though without putting your hands in the garbage, that the business continues to rise-blind, how their relationship has deteriorated with vocalist group, which draws a portrait rather fierce (not too distant, on the other hand, the one we knew or intuited), obsessed by the jet set and recognition, wanting to join the musical fashion, a sponge that absorbs foreign tunes and thinks they are his, the man who was willing to end the band ... At the same time, alas, Richards is all heart, sincerity and honesty, a brutote without evil has been for music and good cheer! But Jagger is not the only one that comes out badly in this story, Brian Jones was not that much to his liking, and he was a gentleman when he lifted his girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg, the clumsy, rude and abusive ambitious Jones . Of course, eventually, Anita does not end very well and are far from those days who escaped together to Morocco between Barcelona and Valencia and she did the first feed, for, as in the city of Valencia, between smell orange (you have to @#$%& with topics), paste the first powder. Because, ladies and gentlemen, Keith Richards is a Kafir but it is a romantic (and a shy with the ladies!), One-woman man and sex sex never interested too. Of course, who has done everything in his battered body, nor deny or avoid going into details of their addictions, declaring junkie without a problem and realizing how it happened other than monkeys.

Admirable is in any case, his passion for music, for disks that are formed by the myths that are raised and then have known and with whom he has had the opportunity to share experiences. It also seems real when he tells that, in recent years has focused more on family life, safe from his library, because, other revelation is that it is a devourer of books and when he fell from the stairs in search of a treaty anatomy of Da Vinci, was not kidding ... The episode of the coconut (which was not such) and its consequences, is also reflected in the pages of the book. Interesting are the encounters with McCarteny, but damn, does not elaborate on them.

At times much more lucid than you would imagine who for years seemed to live in their bubble-toxic, yet it is able to tell that Jagger is a loner who has lost connection with reality, and do not seem to realize that he has their best friends among his bodyguards and people at your service ...

In any case, the essential question is whether it's worth diving into the more than five hundred pages of "Life." And the answer is yes, a resounding yes. If you are interested in the history of the Rolling Stones, the reading is required, it is also fun and has some priceless moments: Charlie Watts Jagger poking a Smite, a John Lennon with little ability to hold toxic, the initiatory journey between him and Jagger London's blues collectors in the early 60's, the composition of some songs and the insides of some disks (how much space it devotes to the glorious "Some girls"!), the reunion with his father after twenty years ... Many details tasty leaves reading, of course, but, yes, it should be noted that these are the scriptures stonianas is just the sight of Keith Richards. Richards facing a last stretch of his life. Let's see if now Sir Mick Jagger is encouraged and offers his ... Although it would be really valuable to know the point of view of Charlie Watts, who could headline the story "of how endured for fifty years these two guys."

"Sneering lout who did even more damage than Blair: Keith Richards"--Peter Hitchens
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 14, 2010 10:04

Sneering lout who did even more damage than Blair
Keith Richards

The memoirs of Keith Richards are as self-serving as those of Anthony Blair. And in the end, it may well be Mr Richards who is more important.

Mr Blair, like so many people of my generation, really wanted to be Mick Jagger and probably saw being Prime Minister as a poor second best – at least until he found out how rich modern politics can make a man.

And when the history of our times comes to be written by cold, dispassionate minds, they may well recognise that the utter destruction of a way of life by the sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll cult was far more significant than anything Mr Blair did. After all, he was only the junior partner in his biggest single deed, the half-witted war on Iraq with its seas of blood, its mountains of skulls and its irreparable damage to the power and influence of the West.

But the Rolling Stones, or some of them anyway, were the spearhead of a colossal global cultural revolution, the results of which continue to echo down the years. I have long believed that one of the most important moments in our history was the exoneration of Mr Richards from drugs charges in 1967.

It may not have killed as many people as the Iraq War. But it helped to ruin many lives, and still does so. And Mr Richards was vaguely aware of it. He told the judge in the case, David Block: ‘We are not old men. We are not concerned with petty morals.’

What did the judge make of this? Old he might have been, but he was not petty and he knew more about morals than Mr Richards ever will. He had survived the sinking by the Japanese of the aircraft carrier Hermes in the Indian Ocean in 1942 and (like my father) was present at the Battle of North Cape in 1943, perhaps the last great fleet action of the Royal Navy.

But in the contest between the two worlds represented by the sneering lout in the dock and the distinguished man on the bench, the entire British establishment has long taken the side of the lout. Mr Richards’s drug conviction, like that of ‘Sir Michael’ Jagger, was overturned on appeal by the Lord Chief Justice in person. My liberal conservative colleague, Lord Rees-Mogg – then editor of The Times – rallied to the defence of Mr Jagger, allegedly a ‘butterfly’ broken on the wheel. Some butterfly. Some wheel.

Mr Richards is an old man now, a debauched, capering streak of living gristle who ought to be exhibited as a warning to the young of what drugs can do to you even if you’re lucky enough not to choke on your own vomit. Yet, far from being embarrassed, he goes on about it as if it was all a good thing. If he can even remember 1967, does he ever, in the long dark nights, wonder if he chose the right life or did any damage? I do hope so.

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Re: "Sneering lout who did even more damage than Blair: Keith Richards"--Peter Hitchens
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 14, 2010 10:07

For our non UK members it should be pointed out that Peter Hitchens is a firebrand reactionary who the right wing Daily Mail wheel out to fire up their right wing middle class readers. He's a tosser of the highest order.

Re: "Sneering lout who did even more damage than Blair: Keith Richards"--Peter Hitchens
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 14, 2010 10:17

Well said Silver Dagger. Mr Hitchens has some of the most ridiculous opinions in print.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home