Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Rolling Stone Replaced for One Concert?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 30, 2010 23:27

If for some reason either Keith..Ronnie or Charlie decided on not playing for one concert while on tour and they arranged for another musician to do that one concert for them.I think it would be quite interesting to see something like that happen just to see how The Stones and the crowd enjoy that one off concert without the original line up for the first time.Someone going to a Stones concert for the first time might feel a bit disappoined not to see all The Stones performing.
But if your been to a few Stones concerts.. how would you feel if ya' went to a one knowing that one of the members is replaced for that the show?

Re: A Rolling Stone Replaced for One Concert?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 30, 2010 23:38

Ronnie ain't part of the original lineup and I could possibly see them without Ronnie.

The other two? No way.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: November 30, 2010 23:51

Almost happened with George Thorogood replacing Ronnie

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:07

The Rolling Stones don't travel with understudies. They're wouldn't replace someone for ONE show. If someone couldn't make the gig, they would just POSTPONE that particular performance and reschedule it for a later date, or, if rescheduling proved too difficult, cancel it altogether and never play that date at all.

Date: December 1, 2010 01:10

Didn't they replace one of the group for a show back in the '60s, maybe Brian? Gazza would know.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:13

Richard from Canada
Didn't they replace one of the group for a show back in the '60s, maybe Brian? Gazza would know.

Brian missed quite a few shows. I think they just went on without him, and performed as a four-piece.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:37

If Ronnie sat out for a few shows I would not cry, especially if they replaced him with a guitar player with a more bluesy feel...or a Jimmy Page....or a Lindsay Buckingham.. or a Jeff Beck...or John Mayer....don't laugh, he's a very under-rated player. Clapton would be interesting.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 1, 2010 02:09

colonial
If for some reason either Keith..Ronnie or Charlie decided on not playing for one concert while on tour and they arranged for another musician to do that one concert for them.I think it would be quite interesting to see something like that happen just to see how The Stones and the crowd enjoy that one off concert without the original line up for the first time.Someone going to a Stones concert for the first time might feel a bit disappoined not to see all The Stones performing.
But if your been to a few Stones concerts.. how would you feel if ya' went to a one knowing that one of the members is replaced for that the show?

Given the alternative which would be flying all that way and booking a hotel room only to have it cancelled, I'd live with it.

Depends who it is, though. It would be quite nonsensical to have a Stones gig without Keith or Charlie. Wouldnt happen anyway - they'd cancel the gig.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 1, 2010 09:56

alhavu1

Everyone once in a while a little tidbit like this about Ronnie and the 81-82 tour pops on here, but I've never heard the whole story. Does anyone here know just what did happen with Ronnie on that tour, did he really almost get the sack?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 1, 2010 10:25

Gazza
Apart from Simon Kirke sitting in on drums for a few songs at the Stu Tribute gig
because Charlie was stuck in the London traffic, theyve never replaced a band member for a show.

Gazza's just checking to see if anyone's paying attention :E
Mick was replaced by Paul Jones at a 1962 show, and Charlie was replaced by Mick Waller at a gig in 64.

Date: December 1, 2010 11:09

Stu sat in for Bill on bass at a TV gig. They didn't play live, right?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 1, 2010 11:26

Gazza
colonial

Given the alternative which would be flying all that way and booking a hotel room only to have it cancelled, I'd live with it.

Depends who it is, though. It would be quite nonsensical to have a Stones gig without Keith or Charlie. Wouldnt happen anyway - they'd cancel the gig.

<<< It would be quite nonsensical to have a Stones gig without Keith or Charlie. Wouldnt happen anyway - they'd cancel the gig. >>>

Quite.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 1, 2010 11:44

DandelionPowderman
Stu sat in for Bill on bass at a TV gig. They didn't play live, right?

are you thinking of the 1969 Ed Sullivan show? Bill was there for the show itself -
Stu stood in for him at the rehearsal. and right: it was playback except for the vocals

Date: December 1, 2010 11:57

Wasn't it black and white footage? You may be right, though. I seem to recall it wasn't the gig, but the rehearsal.

Date: December 1, 2010 11:59

the photos from that Sullivan rehearsal with Stu on bass are black & white
so maybe that's the image you're thinking of?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 1, 2010 12:10

MJ could be replaced by Susan Doyle.............................

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 1, 2010 13:16

MILKYWAY's post was deleted? Jeez, it wasn't even offensive.

Guess the censors strike again. confused smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 1, 2010 14:37

bustedtrousers
alhavu1

Everyone once in a while a little tidbit like this about Ronnie and the 81-82 tour pops on here, but I've never heard the whole story. Does anyone here know just what did happen with Ronnie on that tour, did he really almost get the sack?

thought he should replace keith

Date: December 1, 2010 14:42

KeithNacho
MJ could be replaced by Susan Doyle.............................

Maybe even Susan Boyle...

Date: December 1, 2010 14:44

with sssoul
Gazza
Apart from Simon Kirke sitting in on drums for a few songs at the Stu Tribute gig
because Charlie was stuck in the London traffic, theyve never replaced a band member for a show.

Gazza's just checking to see if anyone's paying attention :E
Mick was replaced by Paul Jones at a 1962 show, and Charlie was replaced by Mick Waller at a gig in 64.

drinking smiley

I forgot about the Waller one. The Paul Jones gig must have escaped my radar!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: December 1, 2010 15:57

misterfrias

I know. Time for me to do some flagging of my own.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: December 1, 2010 17:16

MILKYWAY
misterfrias

I know. Time for me to do some flagging of my own.

I would suggest starting with G. He likes to report/flag.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 1, 2010 18:50

Gazza

What makes you think they wouldn't cancel the gig if Ronnie couldn't play?

Or for that matter, what if Chuck couldn't play?

Date: December 1, 2010 19:13

I think its probable in both cases, but they'd consider both as 'expendable' given adequate notice. Just a personal opinion.

I didnt mention Chuck, because the question specifically mentioned a 'Rolling Stone'.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 1, 2010 19:16

Yeh. I think that's right. It's true that it's only really the 'big three' without whom the Stones wouldn't be the Stones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 1, 2010 19:18

Gazza
I think its probable in both cases, but they'd consider both as 'expendable' given adequate notice. Just a personal opinion.

I didnt mention Chuck, because the question specifically mentioned a 'Rolling Stone'.
Gazza,this is the reason why i respect you so much .i am not kidding .you tell it like it is .so today i HONOR YOU !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 1, 2010 19:27

Roll73
Yeh. I think that's right. It's true that it's only really the 'big three' without whom the Stones wouldn't be the Stones.
Keith said it like that not so long ago - "If me, Mick or Charlie drop out then that's it, over"....presumably that means by default that everyone else is replacable...I don't know about replacing Ron, Chuck Leavell , Lisa or Bobby Keys for one show though..they've all got big parts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 19:42 by EddieByword.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 1, 2010 21:17

misterfrias

misterfrias..If I had my way all Posts and Threads that criticized "The Rolling Stones " would be deleted..yea'smoking smiley

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 1, 2010 22:08

colonial
misterfrias

misterfrias..If I had my way all Posts and Threads that criticized "The Rolling Stones " would be deleted..yea'smoking smiley

A noble philosophy, sir.

Back to the topic, if I had Stones tickets, I would expect to see all four of the "official" Stones perform.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: December 1, 2010 22:09

Hypothetically speaking I wouldn't mind someone to fill Keith's shoes for one night, just to hear what the sound would be like and how the songs would be. I think it would give you a bigger understanding of the dynamics of Keith's playing within the Stones.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 22:12 by Marhsall.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1220
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home