Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1972 tour VS 1973 tour
Posted by: marko ()
Date: September 28, 2010 20:59

Ok Mick taylorians,,including US 1972,Australia 1973 and europe 1973.Which is your
"tour"?

I have to go for Australia-1973,,,best Taylor era for me.Grooviest,nastiest,and band was firing all sylinders!

Re: 1972 tour VS 1973 tour
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 28, 2010 21:03

i think the band's playing is consistently great throughout 72-73. 72 USA tour gets the nod for me for a superior setlist - they dropped BBJ for the winter 73 tour and they replaced better tunes with inferior ghs tunes on the '73 fall tour...

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 28, 2010 21:30

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-15 18:36 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:31

UrbanSteel
The big difference between the 1972 early 1973 and the late 1973 tour is Nicky Hopkins 1972 early 1973 and Billy Preston late 1973 .

I go for the Nicky part .

Very good point. Nicky was a very important part of the band´s live sound and one of the many reasons why I prefer the 1972 tour over Europe 1973 by a country mile. Personally, I can´t stand Billy Preston.

His playing never fit the band´s sound and I have always found his clownesque and obnoxius on stage behaviour as a side musician (annoying backing vocals bordering parody, the "cock" dance and not to mention terrible solo songs he played on the 75/76 tours) very irritating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-29 01:33 by Tornandfrayed.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:43

marko
Ok Mick taylorians,,including US 1972,Australia 1973 and europe 1973.Which is your
"tour"?

I have to go for Australia-1973,,,best Taylor era for me.Grooviest,nastiest,and band was firing all sylinders!

Yes, those shows are fantastic. I don't know if it was the recording equipment, being outside or what, but the boots sound so gritty, tight and furious. They had ironed out all the kinks from the 72 tour, while not as slick as the European 73 tour later that year.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:55

Tornandfrayed
I can´t stand Billy Preston.

His playing never fit the band´s sound .

Um, that WAS the band's sound. He was 'in' the band as much as Nicky ever was - probably even more so seeing that he was involved in recording/touring from 1970-1977: "Sticky Fingers" - "Love You Live," 6 albums, and 73, 75, 76 tours - and El Mocambo.

I'm not slaggin Nicky at all, and I'm not saying you have to like Billy's playing, but his playing IS part of their sound for a significant period of time, and he was as much a part of that period as Nicky was of his -- again, more so because of his consistent involvement.

J

Date: September 29, 2010 03:40

JMARKO
Tornandfrayed

Um, that WAS the band's sound. He was 'in' the band as much as Nicky ever was - probably even more so seeing that he was involved in recording/touring from 1970-1977: "Sticky Fingers" - "Love You Live," 6 albums, and 73, 75, 76 tours - and El Mocambo.

I'm not slaggin Nicky at all, and I'm not saying you have to like Billy's playing, but his playing IS part of their sound for a significant period of time, and he was as much a part of that period as Nicky was of his -- again, more so because of his consistent involvement.

J

I agree. Billy's is an underrated component to the Stones in the 70s. From that funky organ on I Got the Blues, the gospel fervor of Shine a Light, the clavinet on GHS, the soulfull riffs on B$B and so on. Billy as much a part of that era as Nicky.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:01

'73 Pacific Tour, all day long.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:02

JMARKO
Tornandfrayed

J

Maybe Preston were more time in the band, but we all know what means when we talk about Exile on main Street or Black and blue. You got another difference. A classic, and a single album. Nicky was part of the Stones in their best age, and Preston try to make somehting good with a band that was struggling to find themselves.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:08

Preston was used very tastefully until '75. At that point he starts to overwhelm the band, even having a set within the Stones' set on the '75 tour. His camp act with Mick J. grew tiresome rather quickly. He does give GHS a distinctive sound they did not have on any other record, and of course his playing on "I Got The Blues" and Exile is lovely and powerful.

Date: September 29, 2010 06:16

71Tele
Preston was used very tastefully until '75. At that point he starts to overwhelm the band, even having a set within the Stones' set on the '75 tour. His camp act with Mick J. grew tiresome rather quickly. He does give GHS a distinctive sound they did not have on any other record, and of course his playing on "I Got The Blues" and Exile is lovely and powerful.

Billy might have started to think he was a Stone and hence, hs relationship with the band became tenuous. It is strange. Mick and Keith never mention him or give him props, not even when he died. But I have a fond affection for his time with the band.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:36

stupidguy2
71Tele

Billy might have started to think he was a Stone and hence, hs relationship with the band became tenuous. It is strange. Mick and Keith never mention him or give him props, not even when he died. But I have a fond affection for his time with the band.

Mick and Keith never mention Nicky as well! Keep in mind than in the Angie' video, the one who "plays" the piano solo is... Mick Taylor... too mucho isn't?

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:48

stupidguy2
71Tele

MJ and KR don't exactly have a great record of sharing the credit (or the glory), do they?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:50

I've never seen any evidence that Preston started to think he was a Stone. I doubt he thought so highly of them that he would want to. And he doesn't seem to have done more than he was asked to do, even on the '75 tour. Surely they agreed to back him for a solo set. Not that I enjoy his antics any more than the next guy. I do like his sound, but on some '73 tapes he's mixed too high.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 29, 2010 07:15

I doubt he ever thought he was a Stone. While he made some tasteful contributions (e.g., I Got the Blues and Shine a Light), his role with them became too prominent for my liking by the 1975 tour. Between the campiness and the miniset, I was tired of him. I much prefer Nicky Hopkins in the 1972-early 1973 band and Mac and Stu in 1978 and '81. They understood that they were accompanying musicians and knew when to hold back.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 29, 2010 07:16

stupidguy2
marko
"tour"?

Yes, those shows are fantastic. I don't know if it was the recording equipment, being outside or what, but the boots sound so gritty, tight and furious. They had ironed out all the kinks from the 72 tour, while not as slick as the European 73 tour later that year.

couldn't agree more!
maybe it was the hot weather? but their performances in Aussie '73 were the best IMO.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 29, 2010 08:52

Oz 73 - just wish I had been old enough to have seen them.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 29, 2010 09:16

When Preston passed away, Keith did mention his passing and how great a musician he was. He was not forgotten.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 29, 2010 09:41

Australia 73 for me too.

I love the 73 european tour, of course, but there is more of an excessive theatrical mood very much creeping into the Stones sound, sort of very decadent, and perhaps a little cold. Europe 73 may in one sense be Mick Taylor's finest hour, and i love to hear his playing, but cohesively as a unit the Stones were better in 72 and on the early 73 Australian tours. I'm not really sure the Stones Australia 73 tour truly beats the 72 tour in terms of the Stones performances, but as far as the bootlegs are concerned, Australia 73 is when the Stones sound at their most raw and rocking. Also, songs like 'Love In Vain', 'Dead Flowers', 'Little Queenie' and 'Sweet Virginia' are much more grounded in the Stones musical roots. 'Dancing With Mr D' and 'Doo Doo Doo Doo' (Heartbreaker), are to a degree more theatrical, and a touch more indulgent, when the excesses of being famous, linked with the wasteful decadence of their lifestyles, seem to be catching up with them in musical terms too. Not that that does not create great music to a degree, but by late 73 with the increased theatrical influences of glam, coupled with a sort of more exaggerated approach to their musical/visual performance, seems the first indications of the Stones investing in parody. Even Jagger's vocals become much more pronounced and excessive in places, almost in a detached sense, as if he's now playing the role of being a rock star, instead of being one on a more fundamental level. Maybe also Billy Preston's recruitment to replace Nicky Hopkins may have also contributed to this change, which he certainly did in a visual sense with his afro, if not musical, in his more funky influences, too. I am very much being meticulous in my observations here - i still very much love what the 73 european tour had on offer. Taylor, especially, again very much proved himself as being a technically outstanding musician. However, in a sense the seeds were being sown with what the Stones would become by the 75 tour.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-29 09:56 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 29, 2010 09:46

100 YEARS AGO............................That BP's intro...............

Date: September 29, 2010 10:24

Maybe i happen to be only one who likes prestons playing,but not allways,,,some of the things he did were VERY annoying,but when he actually played like a backing musician shod and must,he we brilliant.Just listen how he played wild horses on 75 tour.

1973 euro tour was a bit boring to me,they should have kept 100 years ago and silver train in their sets.And play a bit longer sets,instead of 2 sets/per day with indentical set list.Many other bands did much longer shows.
However first shows of euro tour was @#$%& brilliant,specially LONDON shows.But then again,,,,those doens´t match to my favorites shows from-72,like charlotte,akron and Indianapolis.Australia just happened right time everyone was ready and on.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 29, 2010 10:46

If I had to pick one leg it would be North America '72 but there were stand-out versions of tracks across all legs on the '72/'73 tour.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 29, 2010 15:08

The real difference in these tours was subtle on stage. Billy was there in Europe and not in the US. The audience side of it though was much different. Europe was pleasantly laid back while many of the US gigs were kind of wild. Chicago crowds were crazy, Denver kind of relaxed in comparison from what I remember of the experience. I saw them in Essen in 1973 and I loved how matter of fact the whole thing was in comparison, whereas in the US everybody was really amped up. Essen gig was very refreshing with a general admission ticket, lines to get in were orderly. The Stones were great at all the 72 and 73 gigs I saw from a musical standpoint. The inclusion of the Goats Head Soup numbers changed the setlist in Europe while Exile carried the weight of the US shows. Those were days. I still cringe that I didn't follow them much of the way through the 1973 European tour. I had nothing but time on my hands. I simply thought getting tickets would be too difficult based on massive demand the US shows garnered. One of those things in life I regret to this day.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 29, 2010 15:18

Interesting to hear from folks who were lucky enough to attend gigs on both tours. I suspect most of us are only comparing recordings...which isn't the same thing as the experience.

I only saw the European '73 tour. [at Manchester...my first ever live Stones experience at the age of 13.

Date: September 29, 2010 16:40

You "only" saw Manchester,,,and i have settle with bootlegs,and Manchester happens to be my favorite show from 73 eurotour.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 29, 2010 17:05

"Ok Mick taylorians,,including US 1972,Australia 1973 and europe 1973.Which is your
"tour"?" quote Marko.

Well, not many 'Mick taylorians' have answered this question yet, so I'm one of the first. I have to admit that I'm certainly a bit biased, because I attended one of the great 1973 concerts in Rotterdam. Still, judging by the soundboard recordings from the 1972 and 73 tours, the European 73 tour is my favourite. The Brussels, British and German soundboard recorded songs prove that the Stones still had the energy they showed during the 1972 tour, but they also prove that they had musically matured on stage. Besides, Taylor reached his absolute live Stones period peak during this tour, bringing the music to new grounds. Just like the 1970 tour is musically better than the 69 tour (alas we don't have any (good) soundboard recording from that tour that is in the same league as the best 1972 and 1973 soundboard recordings, let alone an official recording like YaYa's), the 1973 tour surpasses the 72 tour. Listen for instance to a very well audience recorded song from the 1970 tour:

Date: September 29, 2010 17:23

I have to agree with you,70 tour was better than 69,1970 had an how can i say it,,,atmosphere that i happen to like,and we´ve finally have gotten listenable recordings from this tour.Berlin&Hamburg are my favorites.

Date: September 29, 2010 17:30

marko
I have to agree with you,70 tour was better than 69,1970 had an how can i say it,,,atmosphere that i happen to like,and we´ve finally have gotten listenable recordings from this tour.Berlin&Hamburg are my favorites.

Don't forget Essen, Marko. The YT-clip up here (Dead Flowers) is from Essen. Sounds good to me.

Date: September 29, 2010 17:36

what boot is that from,i only have an old cd which sounds like singing inside empty tin caneye rolling smiley

Date: September 29, 2010 17:40

marko
what boot is that from,i only have an old cd which sounds like singing inside empty tin caneye rolling smiley

It's VGP 348 if I'm correct. If you want it I'll upload it for you (forgotten where I got it from).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home