Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

not entirely OT: The Hells Angels
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:27

For the record, I have no love for the Hells Angels.
I would not give you a nickel for a truckload of these guys, but they do have a bit of history with the Stones, so here you go:

Never-before-seen photos of an outlaw biker gang published by LIFE
By David Banks, CNN
September 28, 2010 7:36 p.m. EDT

STORY HIGHLIGHTS:

LIFE photographer Bill Ray rode along with the Hells Angels in 1965
The story and photos were rejected by a LIFE managing editor
Now they're being published

(CNN) -- America loves its outlaws, but few of us actually dare to live the lifestyle. Veteran LIFE photographer Bill Ray got about as close as anyone, riding along with a notorious biker gang.

In 1965, the Hells Angels were little known outside the American West. Ray spent several weeks in Southern California, photographing and traveling with the San Bernardino chapter of a gang that would soon become notorious for its hedonistic, lawless swagger.

The Hells Angels are now a worldwide phenomenon -- incorporated, licensed and branded. But the gang Ray traveled with, two years before the Summer of Love and four years before the deadly violence at a Rolling Stones concert at Altamont speedway made them infamous, truly lived on the fringes of society.

In a culture where the Beach Boys and the Beatles fought a squeaky-clean battle for the hearts and minds of America, the Hells Angels were, in the words of Hunter S. Thompson, a "burst of dirty thunder" that shocked folks wherever they went.

It was a time when the roar of stripped-down Harleys and the sight of long-haired bikers on the freeway -- or riding into a sleepy town -- was still new, alien, and for the average law-abiding citizen, more than a little frightening.

Forty-five years after the story and photos were rejected by a LIFE managing editor, they still have some of that shock value, a reminder that outlaws still have a secret sweet spot in the American psyche.

Video here: [cnn.com]

Photo gallery here: [www.life.com]

[www.cnn.com]

Re: not entirely OT: The Hells Angels
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 29, 2010 03:45

The Angels are a bunch of hypocrites who can't be adult and take things as equally as they give. They want to be able to live by their "code", and take care of things themselves when they feel they are wronged, whether it be by way of fellow 1 percenters, or "civilian(s)". That's fine in principle, I guess, but in return, when one of "them" breaks one of "our" laws, they don't think they should be held equally accountable, and answer for their wrongdoings in a court of law.

They only want it one way, theirs, which is bullshit. They are a part of society, and should be held accountable for their actions like everyone else, whether they like it or not.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: September 29, 2010 05:27

Looks like most of the Angels were sporting longish hair in 1965. Were they copying the trend started by the Stones and Beatles? Or was that their own look, independent of mainstream trends? (I'm too young to remember the mid '60s. smiling smiley )

Date: September 29, 2010 05:34

I think the Angels were much more ahead of the Stones as far as the long hair / rough look goes.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 29, 2010 17:25

Life magazine always shows awesome pics !!!

I receive a newsletter /e-mail every week from Life ,but I didn't want to have a look at these photos because of the links between Hells Angels and Neo-Nazis.

btw,it leads me to a question that concerns motorbikes.smoking smiley
How "hippy" people -like the one who are showned in "Easy Rider " movie got along with the Hells Angels .They both shared a love for choppers.

Last summer,I saw the movie one more time with my daughter.
After this,I made some researches and found this site:
[www.chopperssite.com]

but I wasn't able to find an answer to my question .
I am more on cars but if someone could answer my question,I 'd be very greatful .smiling smiley
Thanks .
Sway .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: September 29, 2010 19:20

>>btw,it leads me to a question that concerns motorbikes.
How "hippy" people -like the one who are showned in "Easy Rider " movie got along with the Hells Angels .<<

I've never really associated "hippies" with motorcycles although, obviously, many did ride bikes.

In contrast, the few bikers I've known over the years wouldn't have appreciated being associated with "hippies."

When it comes to "hippy" transportation, I usually think of this:

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: September 29, 2010 20:04

I have a question:

The Hells Angels who were at the Hyde Park show were wearing Swastikas. Were they Nazis? Or were they just wearing those symbols for another reason?

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 29, 2010 20:14

Edith Grove
I've never really associated "hippies" with motorcycles although, obviously, many did ride bikes.

OK,I try again .smiling smiley

>>How "hippy" people -like the one who are showned in "Easy Rider " movie got along with the Hells Angels .They both shared a love for choppers.
<<

See, in one hand you get "hippies" = cool and peaceful men like Fonda & Hopper's characters in the movie -btw,have you seen it smoking smiley?
-in another hand, you get hard and wild people -Hells - but they enjoy the same kind of bikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-29 20:54 by SwayStones.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 29, 2010 20:39

SwayStones

I receive a newsletter /e-mail every week from Life ,but I didn't want to have a look at these photos because of the links between Hells Angels and Neo-Nazis.

How "hippy" people -like the one who are showned in "Easy Rider " movie got along with the Hells Angels .They both shared a love for choppers.

[www.chopperssite.com]

I am more on cars but if someone could answer my question,I 'd be very greatful .smiling smiley
Thanks .
Sway .

Hey,SwayStones
I have not an exact answer to your question - I guess, they shared anti-establishment views, but expressed them opposites ways.
Funny, I saw "Easy Rider " recently with my daughter too

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: September 29, 2010 21:01

Check out the "Gypsy Jokers"

Date: September 29, 2010 21:16

SwayStones
Edith Grove

OK,I try again .smiling smiley

>>How "hippy" people -like the one who are showned in "Easy Rider " movie got along with the Hells Angels .They both shared a love for choppers.
<<

See, in one hand you get "hippies" = cool and peaceful men like Fonda & Hopper's characters in the movie -btw,have you seen it smoking smiley?
-in another hand, you get hard and wild people -Hells - but they enjoy the same kind of bikes.

Just my opinion, but back in the sixties I don't think they had as much choice as they have today when it comes to "cool" bikes.
Harley-Davidson was about the only thing going.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 29, 2010 21:16

Hi Edith

Thanks for the links , amazing pictures of their Moto Club, quite rare at this time
and even now , I was told that to go in if you're not a member it ain't easy,
so congrats to the photographer.

@Swaystones
Peter FONDA in Easy Rider is IMO , a biker for the movie, I'm agreed with Edith, bikers and not only HA never like Hippies.
Imagine if we have seen Peter FONDA in a van rather than a bike >grinning smiley<

HMN

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: September 29, 2010 21:30

stateofshock
I have a question:

The Hells Angels who were at the Hyde Park show were wearing Swastikas. Were they Nazis? Or were they just wearing those symbols for another reason?

In his biography, Sonny Barger said he started the Hells Angels/Nazi memorabilia association by accident. Sonny needed a belt and a buddy loaned him an old belt with a Nazi swastika buckle that the buddy's father picked up in WWII.

So says the biography. I would look up the exact quote but my copy of the biography is in storage.

*** As for this thread, great photos. Are these photos published in this week's paper edition? I couldn't tell confused smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-29 21:30 by misterfrias.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 29, 2010 21:50

Sonny Barger claims he stuck a gun to Keith on stage at Altamont. I doubt that ever happened, tho he is a thug, he ain't exactly known for his honesty. Maybe the HA will torch the RNR HOF.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 29, 2010 21:55

Sonny Barger claims he stuck a gun to Keith on stage at Altamont. I doubt that ever happened, tho he is a mindless thug.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: September 29, 2010 22:19

SwayStones

[www.chopperssite.com]

Thanks .
Sway .

The characters in 'Easy Rider' were not outlaw bikers, they were just guys riding motorcycles.

If you read Hunter Thompson's great bio 'Hell's Angels', you'll find the Angels tolerated the hippies so they could take advantage of there women and drugs.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: September 29, 2010 22:43

H-A and Hippies WERE connected in 60s via the Frisco H-A chapter.

All explained in the excellent book "Sleeping Where I Fall" by Peter Coyote.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home