Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any RS sights to visit in London?
Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: September 26, 2010 22:58

'll stay in London for about a week in early November. This is my first visit to UK. I was wondering if you could recommend any stones related sights worthy of visiting. I'll stay in a hotel next to Hyde Park.

Re: Any RS sights to visit in London?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2010 23:08

here are a couple of sites that should help - have fun!
[home.comcast.net]
[www.communitywalk.com]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 26, 2010 23:20

Despite the name, this tour company offers several programs regarding all kinds of RnR sites in London and beyond:

[www.beatles-beatles-beatles.com]

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: September 26, 2010 23:46

There is a shop called Its only Rock and Roll in Baker Street that sells memorabilia not just Stones stuff but worth a look if you are in the area.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 27, 2010 02:30

Many. Here are some locations for the movie "Performance"-

[www.movie-locations.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 27, 2010 09:51

100 club........................100 oxford street
Denmark street.................
Hyde Park............................

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 27, 2010 13:07

likarollinstone
'll stay in London for about a week in early November. This is my first visit to UK. I was wondering if you could recommend any stones related sights worthy of visiting. I'll stay in a hotel next to Hyde Park.

For an RS fan, no trip to London can be complete without visiting Dartford, the childhood hometown of Messrs Jagger and Richards. It's a town you won't forget quickly.

You could also visit Edith Grove in Chelsea and maybe get the train from London Bridge to Penge, where Bill Wyman lived.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 14:30

You can visit Bill Wyman's Restaurant Sticky Fingers. They've got some nice Stones stuff on the walls. The food is not that bad either.
Sticky Fingers

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: September 27, 2010 20:47

John1982
You can visit Bill Wyman's Restaurant Sticky Fingers. They've got some nice Stones stuff on the walls. The food is not that bad either.
Sticky Fingers

I'll eat my first meal in London at this place. Even I can afford a few things on their menu. For some reason I thought it would be much more expensive.

Father Ted
For an RS fan, no trip to London can be complete without visiting Dartford, the childhood hometown of Messrs Jagger and Richards. It's a town you won't forget quickly

I hope I'll have enough time. The truth is I'll be able to spend only a day or two sightseeing and the rest of the time I'll need to be looking for jobs and making appointments. I'll need to leave in less than a week if I won't find any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 20:48 by likarollinstone.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2010 22:02

I was told that the Sticky Fingers merchandise on the walls had changed. Is it still there? I checked their web site now, and almost went mad. Wherever I go there they play Like A Rolling Stone - not by the Stones - by the way that one was covered way after Bill left - but the original I suppose. Still, I hate it when they fore music into my ears without me asking about it. Annoying web site design...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 27, 2010 22:18

bv
I was told that the Sticky Fingers merchandise on the walls had changed. Is it still there? I checked their web site now, and almost went mad. Wherever I go there they play Like A Rolling Stone - not by the Stones - by the way that one was covered way after Bill left - but the original I suppose. Still, I hate it when they fore music into my ears without me asking about it. Annoying web site design...

I was there almost 2 months ago but it looks cheaper...eg. posters of a Sebastian Krüger event... not a painting or print itself...
But, still fun to be there

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 27, 2010 22:48

Cheyne Walk...I believe Anita still sometimes stays there and the place is a central part of Stones history - if the walls could talk.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: September 28, 2010 06:57

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit 'Sticky Fingers'..fans on this board have better collections..waste of time...that store 'It's Only Rock & Roll' and it's sister store about the 'Beatles' across the street are also pathtic unless you must have a beer glass or t-shirt for twice the $$ you would pay elsewhere..and those shops are owned & run by an asian family who only seem to be in it for the tourists & money...the kids working there were about 18yo & knew nothing about about what they were selling..a waste of time....for nightlife, head up to Camden Town...that's where the action is these days...great concerts happening at the HMV Forum in Kentish Town which is just up the road from Camden Town...Harrods Department store is well worth a visit & the Royal Albert Hall is also well worth your time if you want to see a truly historic concert Hall...I sure saw a lot of young people wearing RS t-shirts while I was there...no other bands, just the Stones !...Covent Garden is also a nice area to hang out/drink/eat....peter

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 5, 2021 20:34

Sticky fingers closed sadly
Quite fun to look at the site of the station Hotel opposite Richmond Tube station

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: September 5, 2021 20:59

cooheid
There is a shop called Its only Rock and Roll in Baker Street that sells memorabilia not just Stones stuff but worth a look if you are in the area.

Sadly they are only doing business online now. I was able to get into the shop while there in July but only cos my friend knows the owner.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 5, 2021 21:15

EJM

Wait until Matt Lee opens his Stones-Museum in London - [iorr.org] . smiling smiley

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 6, 2021 06:58

Irix
EJM

Wait until Matt Lee opens his Stones-Museum in London - [iorr.org] . smiling smiley

You are very kind Irix but true enough there will be some mind blowing stuff on display, I focus my collection on genuine tour and promotional items.

Yes, those are complete rolls of five hundred 1972 backstage passes! You may have also seen the shoes and the map before...

Spot the Goat sweater and the even rarer Japan 1973 Crew sweater!

Some great 1975 stuff but one epic pass...

Full set of Love You Live signed promo photos and some more great passes

Ronnie's 1978 diary and maybe I went a little mad on the Emotional Rescue launch party stuff!

Posted by: winos ()
Date: September 6, 2021 07:31

Don't miss the Gore Hotel at 100 Queens Gate Kensington which was the hotel where the Stones launched beggars banquet. When I visited in 2019 the waitress from the bar showed us the basement where the famous food throwing party was even though I wasn't staying there.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 6, 2021 08:30

Wow Matt, those photos are pretty spectacular!

That second one, is there an "official" Mobile Recording Studio jacket or something there? Have any back story on that or a better photo?

Sure is some kool stuff there, thanks for sharing!

As for London sites, you might still be able to go out on Eel Pie Island and see something still standing from those days, I believe Olympic Studio might still be there although under a different name, of course Wymans ex restaurant, no idea if anything has changed there from it being shut down. Its been quite a while since I been there last so my info might be too old.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-06 08:36 by jbwelda.

Date: September 6, 2021 15:02

jbwelda

That second one, is there an "official" Mobile Recording Studio jacket or something there? Have any back story on that or a better photo?

jb

Thank you, set up is far from complete and there is still more to do on these displays but they are getting there. It's finding all the stuff in my 100's and 100's of Really Useful Boxes.

That is a mobile Studio staff shirt (only a handful made), I have serval items of Mobile Studio staff clothing and you might notice a staff pass too. I also have the passes that were stuck to the back of the studio door and this is in my book it was displayed at The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame's 50th exhibition. Lots and lots of mobile Studio things... I have all the original drawings for the truck layout etc...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 6, 2021 15:54

jbwelda

As for London sites, you might still be able to go out on Eel Pie Island and see something still standing from those days, I believe Olympic Studio might still be there although under a different name, of course Wymans ex restaurant, no idea if anything has changed there from it being shut down. Its been quite a while since I been there last so my info might be too old.

jb

There's nothing left on Eel Pie Island but memories, but you can stroll along the riverside and imagine the young Stones carrying all their gear across the footbridge. A few minutes' walk away is the Eel Pie Island museum: well worth a visit.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 6, 2021 18:25

Also the BBC studio near Teddington Locks, The Beatles filmed part of Hard Days Night there on the river and I think the Stones recorded there at one time though I am not sure of that part, maybe for a BBC broadcast. When I went there the man watching the parking lot got me in for a tour and told me he had been there since the early days of the Brit Invasion. Everyone I spoke to held the guy in reverence and he talked to me for a good hour before arranging the tour. Might be worth a look just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the info on the mobile studio, Matt, I have thought about building a scale model of it at some point, but would need to have some photos of the interior. Of course, then I would have to donate it to you for your museum. Have done similar before. Donated this one to Roger Steffens Reggae Archive:

jb

Date: September 6, 2021 18:57

jbwelda
Thanks for the info on the mobile studio, Matt, I have thought about building a scale model of it at some point, but would need to have some photos of the interior. Of course, then I would have to donate it to you for your museum. Have done similar before. Donated this one to Roger Steffens Reggae Archive:
jb

That's totally awesome... I thought of asking someone to make one. I have all the original scale drawings :-) I would love the truck but given the cab was replaced and it's all been ripped out the soul has gone. I love my mobile studio stuff, there is a double page spread on it with some of the highlights in my book.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 6, 2021 19:51

Unfortunately the TV Studios in Teddington are long gone now.

I worked there in the 70's and 80's and last time I was there, was for a show being recorded with Ronnie Wood and the Faces and front row seats just a few years ago.
They were due to play the following day at the polo ground that Kenny owns if my memory is correct.

All that is there on the site now are luxury flats as far as I know. sad smiley

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 6, 2021 20:44

I went to visit Edith Grove right before one of the "recent" Stones shows in London. I was honestly disappointed and felt like I'd wasted my time (I regretted not going to the Sticky Fingers restaurant instead!). It was just another house on the street. As it was a show day, I guess I expected other fans to be there, maybe share a beer in the sun with them. Silly me lol...!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 6, 2021 22:47

It's a bit like The Wick at Richmond and Mick and Jerry's place just down the road more or less.

Not very likely you're gonna see Pete, or Jerry unless they are walking the dogs in Richmond Park.

Date: September 6, 2021 23:15

crawdaddy
It's a bit like The Wick at Richmond and Mick and Jerry's place just down the road more or less.

Not very likely you're gonna see Pete, or Jerry unless they are walking the dogs in Richmond Park.

At least it's a beautiful view from the top of Richmond Hill. Edith Grove is a busy main road (Red Route). They couldn't repeat that first photo shoot sitting in the middle of the road these days!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home