Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones...Unplugged
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: September 26, 2010 16:26

This is what I'd really like to see next from the boys...and I think it would cause quite a buzz. A nice laid back studio atmosphere....bring in Mick taylor and Bill for a few numbers. Forget the big hits and rockers...just do the acoustic numbers, the ballads, the blues....and sitting down! Something like the Angie video.
They could just relax and concentrating on playing instead of performing. Somehow they have to break down that barrier that they have to be all show and flash and movement. The set-list would be unbelievable! The audience and anticipation for an unplugged session, I think, would be huge. No?

Cheers

Re: Rolling Stones...Unplugged
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 26, 2010 16:34

Agree, still waiting for a big Unplugged live session...with us IORRians as audience

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 26, 2010 16:36

"Stripped" ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2010 16:38

i think they were too gutless to do this - back several years ago, when many bands started doing it, that's when they did the Stripped, which to me seemed like a lame attempt to not do this live, i.e. they don't have the confidence that they could pull this off in a subdued environment. just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Date: September 26, 2010 16:50

This what I want to see ...........Stones unplugged..............and I don't mind if they use an electric acoustic guitars

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 26, 2010 17:37

LeonidP
i think they were too gutless to do this

Isn't it so that the Stones already played a couple of unplugged songs way back during the 69 tour ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 26, 2010 17:40

Rolling Hansie
LeonidP

Isn't it so that the Stones already played a couple of unplugged songs way back during the 69 tour ?

Yes you are right but that was 41 years ago,,,,,,,so time time to pick it up again

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 26, 2010 17:40

Stripped !!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 26, 2010 18:40

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 26, 2010 18:40

Absolutely! This is the future for them although they may not see it at the moment.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 26, 2010 19:08

LeonidP
i think they were too gutless to do this - back several years ago, when many bands started doing it, that's when they did the Stripped, which to me seemed like a lame attempt to not do this live, i.e. they don't have the confidence that they could pull this off in a subdued environment. just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

True, to a point - although the MTV "Unplugged" (and I hate the word - at the time, it was as if MTV invented acoustic music) hype had peaked before the Stones did 'Stripped'.

I think 'Stripped' was a case of the Stones bowing to the trend - but at the same time wanting to do it their own way and excluding MTV (MTV had a pretty annoying habit of inviting artists to perform on the show - and then trying to dictate to them what songs they should play). The Stones TV special kind of fell between two stools of being an acoustic performance AND a Stones electric set held in a small venue. However, the album remained much closer to the 'Stripped' concept.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-26 19:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 26, 2010 19:27

The best thing about Stripped was it was not another watered down tour souvenir that they seem obligated to do after every tour at least it was different! I too wish that they would do a few unplugged shows and I wouldn't care if they did some of the Warhorses that way either!

Date: September 26, 2010 19:43

It was also the best selling Stones live album in the last few decades. Think it sold around 3.5 million. Sales of the three 'tour souvenir' cash-ins since then have been pants.

Date: September 26, 2010 23:17

Brilliant album. A wise decision by the Stones to do it their way, imo.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 00:47

It would be awesome - Everyone hear the outtake from stripped of "No Expectations"? One of my most favorite tracks.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:15

Rolling Hansie
LeonidP

yeah, a couple ... they also had what a somewhat acoustic type set on the b-stage of tours in the 90s. I am talking about a completely different atmosphere - on MTV Unplugged sets, the audience is sitting quietly waiting to really hear the music & vocals - not screaming out of there mind & jumping up & down on their chairs.

Most bands that I read about for their MTV performance (Nirvana comes to mind) were very nervous about such a venue - truly stripped & naked in front of the stoic crowd. To me, the Stones did the safe pussy method of doing it on their own, able to edit any screw-ups, making sure to only release what they deem to be acceptable. I much would have rather seen them on MTV Unplugged like so many other bands and let us just have what they could give. I stand by my statement ... I don't think they had/have the guts.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:18

'MTV Unplugged' broadcasts were always 'edited' for TV - and would have allowed re-takes if necessary.

The Dylan one, for example, comes from two shows, each 70-90 minutes in length.

Neil Young's was a 20-song set, edited down to 14.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 03:22 by Gazza.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:25

Gazza
'MTV Unplugged' broadcasts were always 'edited' for TV - and would have allowed re-takes if necessary.

Nirvana was all one take, no editing (well except for 2 songs, removed to fit into the 1 hour timeslot, but Nirvana put them back in on the official dvd).

Anyway, the editing factor is for release on tv ... I'm referring mainly to the fact that they are in the front of the audience which is quiet, and any mistake gets magnified.

can't change the facts ... no other band did it like the Stones did - don't get me wrong, I love Stripped, but I still see it as a gutless move by the Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 03:26 by LeonidP.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:31

And to top it off, they ruined the most beautiful track of all! Although it was not on the album (it was a b-side), the version of Tumbling Dice starts off so unbelievably amazing, almost gospel-like. I would have loved to hear that in its entirety -- but they instead decided that Stones fans couldn't handle something too differently and edit in a normal live version after a small bit of time. That makes me soooo angry!! I'd pay a lot to hear that version all the way thru.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 03:31 by LeonidP.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:35

LeonidP
Gazza

Nirvana was all one take, no editing (well except for 2 songs, removed to fit into the 1 hour timeslot, but Nirvana put them back in on the official dvd).

Anyway, the editing factor is for release on tv ... I'm referring mainly to the fact that they are in the front of the audience which is quiet, and any mistake gets magnified.

can't change the facts ... no other band did it like the Stones did - don't get me wrong, I love Stripped, but I still see it as a gutless move by the Stones

Personally, I think Springsteen's decision to do the show as a 'Plugged' special to showcase his new touring band ranks as the biggest missed opportunity of the lot. Only the opening song was acoustic. The rest was a 3-hour gig edited down to 100 minutes. Worst album of his career.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 27, 2010 03:53

Gazza
LeonidP
Gazza

Personally, I think Springsteen's decision to do the show as a 'Plugged' special to showcase his new touring band ranks as the biggest missed opportunity of the lot. Only the opening song was acoustic. The rest was a 3-hour gig edited down to 100 minutes. Worst album of his career.

Agreed. First he feels the need to jettison the E Street Band after all those years. With this new "freedom", he hires a bunch of wannabees to take their place. Then they were never heard from again. A most puzzling phase of his career (wasn't the abortive marriage to Julianne Phillips around the same time?). As for the Stones, I think they wanted to cash in on the MTV Unplugged craze but keep all the money and control. As it was, it was a good record, but not a great one. A missed opportunity, in my book.

Date: September 27, 2010 04:52

No.He was married to Julianne Phillips from 1985-88. This was 1992-93. He'd already remarried and become a father by then.

Wouldnt dismiss seasoned musicians such as Bobby King and Carolyn Dennis as 'wannabees' but I take your point.

Playing with other musicians was all well and good (he's done it successfully since) but its less successful when you're attempting to do a similar sort of show.

Anyway, sorry to get off track. Agree with the 'money/control' and 'good record but missed opportunity' synopsis of 'Stripped', though.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 27, 2010 07:33

Gazza
No.He was married to Julianne Phillips from 1985-88. This was 1992-93. He'd already remarried and become a father by then.

Wouldnt dismiss seasoned musicians such as Bobby King and Carolyn Dennis as 'wannabees' but I take your point.

Playing with other musicians was all well and good (he's done it successfully since) but its less successful when you're attempting to do a similar sort of show.

Anyway, sorry to get off track. Agree with the 'money/control' and 'good record but missed opportunity' synopsis of 'Stripped', though.

Gazza, I should have been fairer to the musicians Springsteen picked, but what I meant to say is he put together a band reminiscent of the E Street Band, but without the legacy or connection they had. It was not like he needed to lose the E Streeters because he suddenly wanted to do Tibetan music or something. He apparently felt he needed to free himself of those particular personalities. This has never really been explained. (I personally like to blame Jon Landau, just because...) It was whitewashed in Dave Marsh's book, which was more hagiography than journalism, but that's for another discussion.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 10:55

Gazza

Actually, I don't know if it is true, but I have heard that Bruce tried to do an unplugged show for MTV befeore, but after a while he walked off angry and saying he would not play it accoustic.

I have no idea whether it is true or not, I have heard it sometime at the beginning of the ninetees, when I knew maybe Born In The USA and that was it and didn't care for Bruce at all. But this somehow stayed in my head. Can anyone confirm it? Gazza?

It all sonunds strange, since he did several pretty much accoustic tours, so why would it bother him at that time so much? But it is true that the final result is not unplugged at all.

As fot the MTV forcing the artists to play certain songs - I think that Nirvana was a perfect example there was a way around it. I think they played nothing that the MTV would demand. The result was probably the best concert of the series. They actually rehearsed many more songs, but Kurt ened the show probably rather unexpectedly too early. I personally love that concert.

And as for The Stones - they did it their way and the result is great, so I don't see it as a waisted opportunity. It would be great if they did a regulat unplugged show, but I love it the way it is anyway. A way for them for the future? It would be great of course, but I don't see it happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 10:57 by Happy24.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 27, 2010 12:00

Did the Stripped show as broadcast - this was a mixture of slightly contrived rehearsal footage and live clips - get an official release?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 27, 2010 12:20

I believe the deal with MTV was that they took half the profits from an Unplugged album. With the Stones doing their own version they got to keep it all.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 27, 2010 13:24

LeonidP
And to top it off, they ruined the most beautiful track of all! Although it was not on the album (it was a b-side), the version of Tumbling Dice starts off so unbelievably amazing, almost gospel-like. I would have loved to hear that in its entirety -- but they instead decided that Stones fans couldn't handle something too differently and edit in a normal live version after a small bit of time. That makes me soooo angry!! I'd pay a lot to hear that version all the way thru.

Are you kidding? The moment they kick in the live/band part, they roll out one of the tightest and best versions ever recorded of that song.
Also the intro seems to to be a quick one-mike recording of a vocal warm up before a gig or something. They may not have gone through the whole song either, for all we know. Still charming, though.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 27, 2010 14:50

Father Ted
Did the Stripped show as broadcast - this was a mixture of slightly contrived rehearsal footage and live clips - get an official release?

No.

The Tokyo footage wasnt from a rehearsal. It was an actual recording session which the band did at EMi-Toshiba Studios just before their Japanese tour which was specifically done to record acoustic studio versions of some of their old songs. They also recorded for a day or two in Lisbon in July, but whilst those sessions were used for the album, they weren't filmed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 14:53 by Gazza.

Date: September 27, 2010 14:58

Happy24
Actually, I don't know if it is true, but I have heard that Bruce tried to do an unplugged show for MTV befeore, but after a while he walked off angry and saying he would not play it accoustic.

I have no idea whether it is true or not, I have heard it sometime at the beginning of the ninetees, when I knew maybe Born In The USA and that was it and didn't care for Bruce at all. But this somehow stayed in my head. Can anyone confirm it? Gazza?

It all sonunds strange, since he did several pretty much accoustic tours, so why would it bother him at that time so much? But it is true that the final result is not unplugged at all.

Not true. In actual fact, Springsteen had never done (or filmed) any TV specials (or even guest appearances on TV shows a la SNL, Letterman and the like) prior to 1992.

he opened the show with an acoustic 'Red Headed Woman', quipped 'well thats the unplugged part of the show over" and then did a full set with the band (which included a couple of retakes).

He didnt do a solo tour until late 1995. He did do a couple of 90-minute all acoustic shows for the Christic Institute in LA in November 1990 though, but they werent filmed for television. Two absolutely fantastic gigs, too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:08

the stones and unplugged do not go together like a horse and carriage.to me it's like neutering the stones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home