Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: New Station To Station has arrived
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: September 25, 2010 11:53

I'd preordered the Collector's Edition from Amazon. Now the live show is playing on my stereo. What can I say? The sound is fantastic! Needless to say the show is too.

All in all a really satisfying package: A nicely remastered studio album (I'd compare the sound quality to the great sounding Young Americans reissue). A well compiled and nicely designed booklet, containing an informative chronology which tells me there are still three unreleased tracks from the STS sessions in the can. The booklet could've been a bit thicker. But then again, at 17,99 € the package is an absolute bargain buy. So nothing to complain about. And such a sight to look at the fantastic panorama shot from the live show. I'd call it an examplary release.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-25 22:36 by Greenblues.

Re: OT: New Station To Station has arrived
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 25, 2010 13:40

Greenblues
I'd preordered the Collector's Edition from Amazon. Now the live show is playing on my stereo. What can I say? The sound is fantastic! Needless to say the show is too.

All in all a really satisfying package: A nicely remastered studio album (I'd compare the sound quality to the great sounding Young Americans reissue). A well compiled and nicely designed booklet, containing an informative chronology which tells me there are still three unreleased tracks from the Young Americans sessions in the can. The booklet could've been a bit thicker. But then again, at 17,99 € the package is an absolute bargain buy. So nothing to complain about. And such a sight to look at the fantastic panorama shot from the live show. I'd call it an examplary release.

Waiting for my super deluxe version.

But I've had the promo for a while:

Main album: The 2010 CD remaster sounds very good indeed - a big improvement on the Ryko and EMI remasters. (The former sounded a tad muddy, the latter too loud) Also included is a straight copy of the original, long-deleted RCA CD master. The Bowie RCA CDs were a mixed bag, but the first Station to Station CD was generally regarded as the one to have. Bowie obviously agreed, hence its reissue. There are a few differences between them, mostly in detail. You can hear a bit more percussion in the 2010 version, and the backing vocals are clearer.

The 'singles mixes' CD: strictly a one-play affair, unless you really want to hear a heavily truncated version of the title track over and over again.

Live album: a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. It was rumoured that the 'Thin White Duke' bootleg (and its variations) almost sold as many copies as Station to Station.

Quibbles - none. Every Bowie fan should get this.

This is the way reissues should be done, I think. Stones take note.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 25, 2010 18:54

thanks for the reminder. Is this not being released in the US? and with that in mind, any tips on where to find the best deal?

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: September 25, 2010 20:45

Got mine yesterday!!!!

F***ing gorgeous delux box set! Much better than the Exile deluxe set. Really!

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 25, 2010 21:02

Agh, I still have a couple of days before Amazon.co.uk sends mine and then it has to make it all the way down to the tip of Africa. I'm having to content myself with the Nassau '76 bootleg.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 25, 2010 21:20

I've been told that David Bowie planned a couple of shows.
Sorry if I missed the point/ if I am on the wrong track .
Any news about it ?

Date: September 25, 2010 21:59

SwayStones
Any news about it ?

Nope. He's not touring/playing live (outside infrequent surprise guest spots) or releasing new music in the forseeable future. Or ever.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 25, 2010 22:12

Nikolai
SwayStones
Any news about it ?

Nope. He's not touring/playing live (outside infrequent surprise guest spots) or releasing new music in the forseeable future. Or ever.

Thanks .
What I heard on a French radio station was another "misunformation"

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: September 25, 2010 22:16

SwayStones
Nikolai
SwayStones
Any news about it ?

Thanks .

Or wishful thinking. We had a whole discussion on here a few months ago about whether Bowie would come back. General consensus is that he won't. The only way he cane make money these days is by touring, which he can't do because of his health problems - and, also, quite possibly, because he's decided enough is enough. Go out pretty much on a high. The Reality tour was great.

Date: September 25, 2010 22:52

Nikolai
SwayStones
Nikolai
SwayStones
Any news about it ?

Thanks .

Or wishful thinking. We had a whole discussion on here a few months ago about whether Bowie would come back. General consensus is that he won't. The only way he cane make money these days is by touring, which he can't do because of his health problems - and, also, quite possibly, because he's decided enough is enough. Go out pretty much on a high. The Reality tour was great.

i agree he went out on a high note. i still think 1 day a new album of bowie music will be released

Date: September 25, 2010 23:48

keefriffhard4life
Nikolai
SwayStones
Nikolai
SwayStones
Any news about it ?

Thanks .

i agree he went out on a high note. i still think 1 day a new album of bowie music will be released

That's a possibility. But it's been seven years since Reality. And there's no indication that he's going to release anything. If you read the notes to his iSelect compilation, there's more than a hint of finality to them, as if he really is done.

I think the best and most we can hope for is an anthology of unreleased studio material.

I actually hope he's called it a day and never releases anything new again. I'm a huge fan, but that would be an absolutely perfect way to end, and it would make Bring Me The Disco King his 'final' song. Which is a beautiful and elegant full stop.

But, hey that's just me.

Date: September 26, 2010 05:08

its just hard for me to believe he's not at home messing with some ideas. i think someone on here said while bowie is under his current contract he would never release another new studio album because of some dispute with the label

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 26, 2010 06:30

cc
thanks for the reminder. Is this not being released in the US? and with that in mind, any tips on where to find the best deal?

It's out on Tuesday in the States. Check www.amazon.com, www.cduniverse.com, etc.
I'm looking forward to the Nassau Coliseum discs after hearing various bootlegs of that performance for 30+ years.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 26, 2010 10:24

WOW

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: September 26, 2010 12:32

Rolling Hansie

WOW

As I said before... MUCH better than the EXile deluxe boxset. Just lovely.

By the way, the sound of the Nassau concert is really good! I'm in totally awe.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: September 26, 2010 14:52

The live album sounds fantastic, especially the title track. Blows away the studio version. But there's a little drop in sound quality at the beginning of the second disc (Live On Mars/Five Years). Did anyone else notice? Then it's back to perfect sound again. What a fantastic show!

I'm still marvelling at the price of the Collector's Edition. It's 17,99 € on Amazon Germany, I even only paid 16,99 € due to preorder. That's much cheaper than the previous Bowie deluxe sets, isn't it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-26 14:58 by Greenblues.

Date: September 26, 2010 16:15

Greenblues
The live album sounds fantastic, especially the title track. Blows away the studio version. But there's a little drop in sound quality at the beginning of the second disc (Live On Mars/Five Years). Did anyone else notice? Then it's back to perfect sound again. What a fantastic show!

I'm still marvelling at the price of the Collector's Edition. It's 17,99 € on Amazon Germany, I even only paid 16,99 € due to preorder. That's much cheaper than the previous Bowie deluxe sets, isn't it?

Yes, I noticed that. Life on Mars and Five Years were taken from a different source - a cleaned up bootleg recording. The original RCA tapes had deteriorated.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 11, 2010 19:44

I've purchased a lot of these megaversions of classic albums from the 30th Anniversary Born to Run to the 50th Anniversary Kind of Blue to the recent Exile, Raw Power and Station to Station packages. The mega Station to Station sets the standard: A variety of different masterings/mixes of the album proper, a killer contemporary live set (David Liver?), and lots of stuff. Sure, it's pricey (about $135 US), but it is arguably Bowie's best album.

My opinion, however, may change next month when the Springsteen Darkness set comes out. The album proper, 2 discs of outtakes, a making of DVD, and a complete contemporary live show.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 11, 2010 19:56

how's the live show? is it any good? will it please a great Mick Ronson fan?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 11, 2010 20:01

ab
I've purchased a lot of these megaversions of classic albums from the 30th Anniversary Born to Run to the 50th Anniversary Kind of Blue to the recent Exile, Raw Power and Station to Station packages. The mega Station to Station sets the standard: A variety of different masterings/mixes of the album proper, a killer contemporary live set (David Liver?), and lots of stuff. Sure, it's pricey (about $135 US), but it is arguably Bowie's best album.

My opinion, however, may change next month when the Springsteen Darkness set comes out. The album proper, 2 discs of outtakes, a making of DVD, and a complete contemporary live show.

Bruce documentary on HBO last Thursday was magnificent on Darkness.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 11, 2010 20:28

Recieved my copy a few days ago. Station To Station is one of my favourite albums of all time.....and this reissue is a treasure - soundwise and when it comes to the packaging. Hope I'll get the "deluxe vinyl" edition for christmas or something....from someone.....if not; I'll have to buy it myself.
The Nassau gig certainly deserved an official release.....it's like the "Brussels Affair" of David Bowie. If somebody have only the slightest liking for Bowie's music; the expanded Station To Station is a *must-have*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-11 20:29 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 11, 2010 21:07

Erik_Snow
Recieved my copy a few days ago. Station To Station is one of my favourite albums of all time.....and this reissue is a treasure - soundwise and when it comes to the packaging. Hope I'll get the "deluxe vinyl" edition for christmas or something....from someone.....if not; I'll have to buy it myself.
The Nassau gig certainly deserved an official release.....it's like the "Brussels Affair" of David Bowie. If somebody have only the slightest liking for Bowie's music; the expanded Station To Station is a *must-have*

Totally agree Erik. And comparing it to Brussels Affair is spot on.

I'd recommend the new vinyl versions of both albums. It beats the CD, especially the live album.

Date: October 11, 2010 21:19

Nikolai

I'd recommend the new vinyl versions of both albums. It beats the CD, especially the live album.

Hi Nikolai - yes, it's the Nassau concert on vinyl that I'm interested in. I got the "regular" Station To Station vinyl well covered with the Japanese release.

I bet the live 2LP looks terrific, with it's cover and all......allthough - when it comes to the booklet and packaging.....there's a limit on how many times one sit down and take a peek at it. It's the vinyls themselves that might make it worth £90....at least for me.

Would you know, by any chance, if the LP/CD deluxe version is a limited thing? Maybe it's too late to wait untill January with ordering it.....?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-11 21:21 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 11, 2010 22:23

Erik_Snow
Nikolai

Hi Nikolai - yes, it's the Nassau concert on vinyl that I'm interested in. I got the "regular" Station To Station vinyl well covered with the Japanese release.

I bet the live 2LP looks terrific, with it's cover and all......allthough - when it comes to the booklet and packaging.....there's a limit on how many times one sit down and take a peek at it. It's the vinyls themselves that might make it worth £90....at least for me.

Would you know, by any chance, if the LP/CD deluxe version is a limited thing? Maybe it's too late to wait untill January with ordering it.....?

I think it is limited, but not prohibitively (i.e: 5000 copies or less). I bet you'll be able to pick it up cheap(er) in January. Really really worth it. I'm no audiophile, but general consensus is that the Nassau CDs are brickwalled. Two different sources were used (the vault masters and a good sounding boot, would you believe). Stay and Word On A Wing live definitely sound better on the Ryko CD than they do on the latest issue.

The vinyl of Nassau is incredible - warm, deep sound, and exceptionally powerful.

Date: October 11, 2010 23:34

Thanks for the info, Nikolai - yes, I made up my mind for sure now.....gotta get them vinyls, cheers

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2010 23:52

Rip This
ab

Bruce documentary on HBO last Thursday was magnificent on Darkness.

Just watched it via the magic of megaupload. Stunning.

Station to Station gets a big thumbs up from me as well. Triple CD for £12 a great bargain, too.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 12, 2010 00:17

..yes the Bruce documentary stays with you. Very intimate. I really felt transported.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 12, 2010 02:40

I'm loving the Nassau disk (particularly "Waiting For The Man" with his original spoken insertion, had never heard that before). Unfortunately he didn't play "Sister Midnight" at this show (or, oddly enough, "Golden Years").

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 12, 2010 04:22

Nikolai
Erik_Snow

I agree with both of you about the anology with Brussels. The Deluxe box is simply stunning! So much for a single album with only six songs on it! Yes, The Stones should take note on how a re-release should be done, this puts the Exile box to shame.
Yup Nikolai, as usual I think you are spot on about his current career...but you never know with The Thin White Duke...well not so thin anymore, but he could pull something out that surprises us all. I don't know if anyone has seen the book written by Geof MacCormack, From Station to Station? It is a Genesis book, and it is STUNNING! Only 2000 copies and signed by Mac and Bowie... A treasure trove of pictures and interesting stories. I love it!

Date: October 12, 2010 09:19

Glam Descendant
I'm loving the Nassau disk (particularly "Waiting For The Man" with his original spoken insertion, had never heard that before). Unfortunately he didn't play "Sister Midnight" at this show (or, oddly enough, "Golden Years").

For some reason he decided not to play Golden Years on that tour. Didn't get played live until 1983. Sister Midnight would have been a nice inclusion as an Easter egg on the DVD. It was performed infrequently on the tour.

Bowie was fairly talkative on that tour. Reason - he was weaning himself off cocaine with brandy.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home