Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: New Station To Station has arrived
Posted by: peter ()
Date: October 20, 2010 07:37

Child of Clay says he saw 'un chien andalou' in school...wow ! some school unless we're talking college...but none the less, just the mention of this short fanatsy film written by Salvador Dali & directed by Luis Bunuel jogged my memory...Bowie did show this before he arrived on stage that night...can't remember if the entire 16 minute short was shown or just clips..but one never forgets that 'slitting of the eyeball' scene..Peter Gabriel wanted to work with film maker Alejandro Jodorowsky who was breaking through with even weirder films like "The Holy Mountain"..a film that Re Styles from "The Tubes" had a bit part in 1973...it was strange stuff from some strange film makers that grabbed the attention of artists like Bowie who were fascinated with at the time....peter

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: October 20, 2010 07:53

peter
Child of Clay says he saw 'un chien andalou' in school...wow ! some school unless we're talking college...

Not college, peter, 6th form, or the Finnish equivalent which lasts three years. I have no idea why we were shown it, but it was in a regular classroom. I think all anyone remembers from that class is the razor and the eye!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 07:55 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: October 28, 2010 15:27

[www.independent.co.uk]

An exclusive photographic exhibition of David Bowie's formative years in London charts the rise of one of the most influential artists of our time.

Some photos from 1969 and 1970:

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 30, 2010 00:38

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!! LOOK WHAT THE CUSTOMS DID !!!
have to buy a f^^king another one now!!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 30, 2010 01:08

oooh Damn Erik! That is Fvcked!

Date: October 30, 2010 01:22

The idiot of a custom-officer must have thought the box was just the "packaging".....! I probably won't even get a refund....it's tearing me apart, and such an expensive item.....ARGH!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 30, 2010 01:30

Well you can't really blame customs Erik. You are a well known international terrorist after all.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 30, 2010 01:46

oh, that's terrible, Erik. I can't believe they did that. Your best bet might be to try to contact Bowie himself, or his management. They won't want to let a true fan down.

Date: October 30, 2010 02:19

sweetcharmedlife
You are a well known international terrorist after all.eye popping smiley

But....but....it's for a good cause!

Date: October 30, 2010 02:22

cc
oh, that's terrible, Erik. I can't believe they did that. Your best bet might be to try to contact Bowie himself, or his management. They won't want to let a true fan down.

Never thought of that. It might be a shot in the dark, but it IS worth a try - thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you all know how it turns out, allthough it will probably take weeks or months before anybody will reply to me. All businesses hate people who asks for refunds or replacements.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: October 30, 2010 10:56

Oh my god... Thought this was possible only in late Soviet Union.
Goog luck to you with replacment, Erik!

Date: October 30, 2010 18:51

why would you think you can't get a refund or an exchange?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 31, 2010 08:47

Erik that is just sickening. My heart sank when I saw your pic. You should follow up because I am sure Amazon will replace, they DHL stuff and it is probably insured, or they will just replace in a good faith effort.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 31, 2010 09:07

i was at the nassau show - it was fantastic (everybody wondered why he skipped playing the garden)

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 31, 2010 10:05

Erik_Snow
cc

Never thought of that. It might be a shot in the dark, but it IS worth a try - thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you all know how it turns out, allthough it will probably take weeks or months before anybody will reply to me. All businesses hate people who asks for refunds or replacements.

Sorry to read that Erik. I know how much you were looking forward to this.

Date: October 31, 2010 11:15

Hi everyones,

the reason I wrote that I probably wouldn't even get a refund, is because I spoke to somebody in the customs - who said that they have the right to "do what is necessary to search packages for illegal substances, etc." and that they only gave a (partial) refund if very special cases. In *this* case....I find it hard to believe that those strickt custom-organisation understand the "value of the complete box"....I mean, the vinyl records aren't damaged. So a refund of 10% or so would be what I suspected

Didn't think the web-store I purchased it from would cover damages made by anything else than the post-service themselves....and in this case, it's so obvious that it's not any "poor packaging" which ruined the box

Anyways.....the main thing is that:
I got a reply from PLAY.COM today - and THEY'LL REPLACE IT !
HOORAY! I thought this would be a case between me and the norwegian customs, but PLAY.COM will send me a NEW BOX!

Damn, what good news to wake up to on a Sunday! Almost feel like I should....I don't know; go to church or something!

Thanks for your concern, everybody!

Now....if the same thing happens to the replacement that will be sent my way.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-31 11:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 31, 2010 11:47

Great news Eric. What a relief!

Date: October 31, 2010 12:33

i hope the same thing doesn't happen again. why don't they just x-ray it?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 31, 2010 18:55

Erik_Snow
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!! LOOK WHAT THE CUSTOMS DID !!!
have to buy a f^^king another one now!!

Brrrrrrrrr - that beautiful Box set, looking like a dumped Pizza packaging. A true collector's nightmare! Glad to hear that you'll receive a replacement, Erik. Man, I can imagine what I'd have felt like, shelling out such vast amount of money and getting this in return.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-31 18:56 by Greenblues.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 1, 2010 01:58

I was in the front row for the second show of the STS tour in Seattle. Bloody brilliant he was, esp. the lighting at the end of Five Years.

Date: December 3, 2010 16:38

Update:
Recieved a new Station Deluxe box today - NO DAMAGE!
What a relief!

Thanks everyones for your concern....and thanks to Nikolai for the heads-up about the best sounding CD versions of various Bowie releases.....just got the best sounding "David Live" - and it's much better sounding than my previous CD

Date: December 3, 2010 16:50

So in other words.....I recommend play.com when purchasing music/books/dvds - great service, and no charges for postage (within Europe)

Posted by: Chas44 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 16:55

I was at that show in 76. Was a senior in high school, wasn't really a bowie fan at the time but a few of my friends were. I was the only one who had a senior driving lincense so i drove a nd got a free ticket row 20 on the floor. Only knew a few songs from station, tvc15, stay, and an awesome opening of Station. The best song for me was Fame. At the end of fame, when it's get streched out Bowie pointed right at me!!.

Posted by: Chas44 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 17:00

It was the Nassau Colisuem show. My bad.
That dump of a bulding is still standing.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: December 5, 2010 09:22

Erik what is the best sounding cd version of David Live and where can I get it?

Date: December 5, 2010 12:35

Koschi
Erik what is the best sounding cd version of David Live and where can I get it?

Nikolai
Now, if you're talking CDs, that's easy.

Get the RCA ones from Pin-Ups onwards. They are INFINITELY superior to the Ryko and EMI remasters. The only exceptions are the EMI reissues of Stage, David Live and Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, where I'd advise on getting the Tony Visconti remasters. Although, it's worth having an original mix of Stage, because there are some significant changes to the mixing, not to mention the completely altered running order. I quite liked the Ryko version, but, again, the RCA version is the one to get. It is probably the rarest Bowie RCA disc of all though. It took me seven years to find one.

There's a debate about whether the Japanese RCA discs are better than their European counterparts. Either is fine

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: December 5, 2010 13:06

Thank you - must have missed this post ;-)

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home