Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: New Station To Station has arrived
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 12, 2010 09:26

Now, this may just be a rumour/wishful thinking, but a while ago, Tony Visconti confirmed that he'd mixed Low for 5.1.

EMI may issue a deluxe Low (2 CDs and a DVD) next year. This will probably be the very last Bowie expanded release before he regains control of his back catalogue and moves it to another company. The original plan was to release an expansive box set containing both Low and Heroes, as well as two discs of outtakes and alternate mixes. There were even tentative plans to put out some of the music Bowie had worked up for The Man Who Fell to Earth as part of the package. This bit the dust a long time ago, unfortunately.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:07

I'm gutted that you have to pay the full £79 or so to get the 5.1 mix. I'm desperate to hear this. Can anyone copy this for me?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:27

Nikolai
Now, this may just be a rumour/wishful thinking, but a while ago, Tony Visconti confirmed that he'd mixed Low for 5.1.

EMI may issue a deluxe Low (2 CDs and a DVD) next year. This will probably be the very last Bowie expanded release before he regains control of his back catalogue and moves it to another company. The original plan was to release an expansive box set containing both Low and Heroes, as well as two discs of outtakes and alternate mixes. There were even tentative plans to put out some of the music Bowie had worked up for The Man Who Fell to Earth as part of the package. This bit the dust a long time ago, unfortunately.

Great stuff Nikolai! I really am excited about an expanded LOW. I love it! One of my favs! I would also love if he released the performace he did with Heathens where he played all of Low in order then all of Heathen in order. That is a cool show, and I have the boot, but the quality is not great.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 12, 2010 12:09

You guys must be made of money buying this box...I still have this great concert in fresh mind and my LP still sounds extremily well...

smoking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2010 12:37

Does anyone know if there are plans to bringout a deluxe Hunky Dory? Next year is it's 40th anniversary and there is a lot of material written around this time that could go be unearthed.

There are two notable omission in these re-releases - Hunky Dory and The Man Who Sold The World, which in my opinion are two of his greatest albums. The re-release campaign started with Ziggy about 15 years ago, then went quiet for a while and started again with Aladdin Sane. The best so far, in my opinion is Young Americans which has a fantastic 5.1 mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-12 14:16 by Silver Dagger.

Date: October 12, 2010 13:17

Silver Dagger
I'm gutted that you have to pay the full £79 or so to get the 5.1 mix. I'm desperate to hear this. Can anyone copy this for me?

You don't want it, believe me. Stick to the CDs and vinyl.

Date: October 12, 2010 13:27

whitem8
Nikolai

Great stuff Nikolai! I really am excited about an expanded LOW. I love it! One of my favs! I would also love if he released the performance he did with Heathens where he played all of Low in order then all of Heathen in order. That is a cool show, and I have the boot, but the quality is not great.

I heard some interesting stuff from my mate who used to work at EMI. When Bowie signed over the rights to his back catalogue in 1997/98, it included all the bonus tracks he'd given Ryko in 1989. Ryko only released 75% of what he gave them when they reissued the back catalogue on CD in the early 90s.

EMI promptly sat on the bonus material, intending to release it in dribs and drabs when the deluxe reissues came out. You'll remember, I told you that the plans were to release one or two anniversary deluxe editions a year. This all went to hell when EMI hit the skids.

There are tentative plans to release an Outside tour live album (the US leg with NIN) and DVD next year.

Date: October 12, 2010 13:34

Ohhh my Nikolai! That would be fantastic! And long overdue. Amazing they sat on so much stuff. Idiots.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: October 12, 2010 13:48

My 3cd version of Station to Station arrived yesterday. I'm not really one for deluxe packages and re-issues, but I do like this album and reckoned it worth a punt.

JESUS it sounds good. I don't have the fanciest stereo system in the world, but even listening to it in the car, the studio album, there were certainly things there that I'd not heard in the 1999 EMI version.

I think that re-issues like this prove that if the package, both from an audio and 'value' perpspective is good enough, people will go and re-buy the album. I still don't think the 2 disc exile is worth the re-buy, and the deluxe package is far too expensive.

Well done Mr Bowie

Date: October 12, 2010 14:30

Nikolai, you know my love for all things 1.Outside...I have some wonderful boots from both the US leg and British leg. An invigorating for Bowie. There is so much that can be done with these re-releases...I wish Bowie would hire me to be his librarian. What a job that would be.

Date: October 12, 2010 15:11

whitem8
Nikolai, you know my love for all things 1.Outside...I have some wonderful boots from both the US leg and British leg. An invigorating for Bowie. There is so much that can be done with these re-releases...I wish Bowie would hire me to be his librarian. What a job that would be.

A love I share, senor. Some clips from the pro-shot video surfaced on the internet. Very very good. Can't remember the show. The CD should be a straight audio version of the DVD, as per Glass Spider.

Date: October 12, 2010 15:14

textmonkey
My 3cd version of Station to Station arrived yesterday. I'm not really one for deluxe packages and re-issues, but I do like this album and reckoned it worth a punt.

JESUS it sounds good. I don't have the fanciest stereo system in the world, but even listening to it in the car, the studio album, there were certainly things there that I'd not heard in the 1999 EMI version.

I think that re-issues like this prove that if the package, both from an audio and 'value' perpspective is good enough, people will go and re-buy the album. I still don't think the 2 disc exile is worth the re-buy, and the deluxe package is far too expensive.

Well done Mr Bowie

The 2010 remaster comes straight from the analogue tapes, so you're getting the very best digital version of Station to Station to date. I'd originally suspected that the CD was going to be little more than a re-EQ'd version of the EMI or RCA CDs, but it was a whole new version. I promise you the vinyl is even better.

Date: October 12, 2010 15:21

Yeah! Love that they really put out a great vinyl! They did it right man! THANKS DAVEY!

So Nikolai, the 5.1 mix isn't great? I read a few reviews so far that didn't think it was near as good as Young Americans 5.1... too bad they didn't get that right, but that being said, the good mix of the vinyl is worth it. And I still have all his RCA CDs... except Space Odity... And all his 70's stuff on Japanese import vinyl, and Pin Ups is one that would be another great deluxe. Have all the songs from those sessions, some I have never seen on boot. Like his spaced out version of Strawberry Fields Forever, combine with a DVD of The 1984 Floor Show, the videos, and the top of the pops live clips, and the BBC stuff. Have a big poster of the cover and outtakes from the photo shoot, and all the news clips.
And come on! Release Cracked Actor! Amped up with rare live footage from that tour.
I am a huge Exile fan and reveled in the deluxe treatment, but after a few months its sheen has somewhat worn off. The way the original stuff was tampered with...and the total lack of bonus stuff, from live footage to additional outtakes that are more chronologically accurate. That I will also give the edge to Bowie, for the most part, apart from a few glaring errors, has been of very high quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-12 15:23 by whitem8.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2010 15:24

Nikolai
A love I share, senor. Some clips from the pro-shot video surfaced on the internet.

That's gotta be Loreley in Germany June 1996 - the whole show is available on (boot)DVD. I must admit that I'm not such a fan of the 1995/1996 shows of Bowie; compared to how high those 2 years are cherished among other 'bowie-fans'. I think the early 2002 shows featured Bowie's finest performances of the last 30 years. But if we're speaking of his entire career....1976 and 1978 are my favourites, by far. If there ever will be deluxe edition of "Stage", I'm hoping for a DVD to go along with it.

Date: October 12, 2010 15:32

Ahh Erik, I remember on the favorite live album thread I said how much I loved David Live and Stage and I took some flack from folks. But I am with you bro, 76 and 78 are just incredible years for the Bowie lovers. His voice on Stage and the live footage I have seen (especially the nice stuff from Germany, Moon Over Alabama et al.) is just stunning. The ending note of Heros live is enough to incase him among the legendary vocalists. I love the stage show from 78 as well. What a great show I wish I would have been hip to back then, but I was just discovering the Stones, let alone a freak like Bowie...so I too hope for a bigger better bang on Stage, and hell, why not make it a box set with Lodger and all the great videos from that album and the live stuff.... a very busy time in his career with an exciting band that really pushed him.
Erik did you like the re-release? The revamped order and additional songs, and the production amp up from Visconti?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-12 16:11 by whitem8.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2010 17:50

Yes I did like the re-release of Stage, indeed, whitem8, but quite frankly - I much more often put on the vinyl release, instead of the re-released CD. And I was also hoping for something more....maybe a DVD or an additional CD/2CD to go along with it....since the 1972-1976 CDs came as "deluxe versions"....those deluxe versions got me spoiled

When it comes to David Live....well; it IS good, but not *that* good, IMO - but that's just subjective of course

By coincident, I listened to the Los Angeles SBD recording of 1974 today. And I was somewhat glad when disc number 2 came to an end. Bowie was clearly struggling with himself and what he was trying create onstage during that year.
But the Cracked Actor DVD is a good watch though..... (the live footage from that video comes from the same show)

Yes - Bremen 1978 is a great document. So is Tokyo!
And also; Dallas, Texas 1978! Great energy in Dallas. Too bad that it's just the first 35 minutes that's available on DVD. It's the exact same way with Fort Worth, Texas, 1978 (Rolling Stones). Makes me wonder if both the footage of Bowie Dallas 78 and Rolling Stones Fort Worth 78 originates from the same source....? Like if an employee in a Texan vault only had the time/opportunity to copy the first 35 minutes of the reels....!

Date: October 12, 2010 17:54

Erik_Snow
Nikolai
A love I share, senor. Some clips from the pro-shot video surfaced on the internet.

That's gotta be Loreley in Germany June 1996 - the whole show is available on (boot)DVD. I must admit that I'm not such a fan of the 1995/1996 shows of Bowie; compared to how high those 2 years are cherished among other 'bowie-fans'. I think the early 2002 shows featured Bowie's finest performances of the last 30 years. But if we're speaking of his entire career....1976 and 1978 are my favourites, by far. If there ever will be deluxe edition of "Stage", I'm hoping for a DVD to go along with it.

No, it's not from there. The clips are from the US leg in 1995. Features the NIN duets.

Date: October 12, 2010 18:03

whitem8
Yeah! Love that they really put out a great vinyl! They did it right man! THANKS DAVEY!

So Nikolai, the 5.1 mix isn't great? I read a few reviews so far that didn't think it was near as good as Young Americans 5.1... too bad they didn't get that right, but that being said, the good mix of the vinyl is worth it. And I still have all his RCA CDs... except Space Odity... And all his 70's stuff on Japanese import vinyl, and Pin Ups is one that would be another great deluxe. Have all the songs from those sessions, some I have never seen on boot. Like his spaced out version of Strawberry Fields Forever, combine with a DVD of The 1984 Floor Show, the videos, and the top of the pops live clips, and the BBC stuff. Have a big poster of the cover and outtakes from the photo shoot, and all the news clips.
And come on! Release Cracked Actor! Amped up with rare live footage from that tour.
I am a huge Exile fan and reveled in the deluxe treatment, but after a few months its sheen has somewhat worn off. The way the original stuff was tampered with...and the total lack of bonus stuff, from live footage to additional outtakes that are more chronologically accurate. That I will also give the edge to Bowie, for the most part, apart from a few glaring errors, has been of very high quality.

I thought the Exile reissue sucked too. The album was fine and sounded good, but those 'extra tracks' - basically new Stones songs in all but name. They weren't bad, but don't insult us - call them what they are: new Stones songs as opposed to 'unearthed outtakes'. The alternative versions were ok. The DVD is redundant if you have Ladies & Gentlemen and The Stones in Exile doc.

Where the hell did you got those Pin-Ups outtakes? (Actually, don't tell me. But DO tell me what else was cut from the album. Did he really cover Ladytron?)

Cracked Actor should have seen an official release years ago, but it's tied up in red tape. The BBC own part of the copyright, then there's the music, then there's Bowie, who is and isn't a big fan of the doc, and may not want it released because it captures him mid-way own the coke slope.

Bremen 78 almost came out on the Mainman label (those nice folks who brought you RarestOneBowie in the mid-90s), as a video cassette and CD. Bowie took out an injunction and got it stopped. A few promo CDs got out and were bootlegged to death. Sound quality was good, but not great.

Date: October 12, 2010 18:12

Erik_Snow
Yes I did like the re-release of Stage, indeed, whitem8, but quite frankly - I much more often put on the vinyl release, instead of the re-released CD. And I was also hoping for something more....maybe a DVD or an additional CD/2CD to go along with it....since the 1972-1976 CDs came as "deluxe versions"....those deluxe versions got me spoiled

When it comes to David Live....well; it IS good, but not *that* good, IMO - but that's just subjective of course

By coincident, I listened to the Los Angeles SBD recording of 1974 today. And I was somewhat glad when disc number 2 came to an end. Bowie was clearly struggling with himself and what he was trying create onstage during that year.
But the Cracked Actor DVD is a good watch though..... (the live footage from that video comes from the same show)

Yes - Bremen 1978 is a great document. So is Tokyo!
And also; Dallas, Texas 1978! Great energy in Dallas. Too bad that it's just the first 35 minutes that's available on DVD. It's the exact same way with Fort Worth, Texas, 1978 (Rolling Stones). Makes me wonder if both the footage of Bowie Dallas 78 and Rolling Stones Fort Worth 78 originates from the same source....? Like if an employee in a Texan vault only had the time/opportunity to copy the first 35 minutes of the reels....!

I hear you, Erik. Sort of. While I prefer the revamped David Live - fascinating as the original was, the remixed, expanded version not only sounds better, but it hangs together beautifully too. You get the full dramatic hit of the shows. Plus I highly recommend the DVD Audio of that one too. Close your eyes and you are almost there.

I loved Stage on vinyl. Not just for the sound, but for the way the album was structured. And I loved the way they faded out the audience too. There was a certain perversity to it. A kind of anti-live album. Almost every song on there is glorious and memorable.

I never thought the album worked on CD. It was very much something made for the vinyl era. (Ok, it was on cassette too, but you know what I mean) Try listening to the Ryko or RCA releases. It's just not the same. The reconfigured, expanded version was, in my opinion, a great idea. The new Visconti mix does make the album sound different though. Stage was glacial, fragmented and remote - snapshots from the gig rather than the full thing. Running everything together strips it of the extraordinary. As Erik says, Bowie played far better shows than the ones captured on Stage. Dallas, Gotheburg, Bremen, Vienna, Tokyo.

Date: October 13, 2010 03:32

Nikolai, just to be clear I don't have those outtakes for pinups, those haven't been seen on boot at all, but rumored that he did them during pinups...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 13, 2010 04:36

Erik_Snow
I think the early 2002 shows featured Bowie's finest performances of the last 30 years.

Erik, if by early you mean October 2002, that would include the small club show I saw at St. Ann's Warehouse in NYC ... a magical evening, just weeks after I saw the Stones at Roseland. And it was a better show!

haven't been able to order my copy of the Station to Station reissue yet, but will shortly ... I may prioritize the Iggy/Williamson Kill City disc, if my finances dictate a choice.

Date: October 13, 2010 05:39

whitem8
Nikolai, just to be clear I don't have those outtakes for pinups, those haven't been seen on boot at all, but rumored that he did them during pinups...

I misread, mate. Sorry.

I know Bowie negotiates his new back catalogue contracts by dangling unreleased material in front of record companies like the proverbial donkey's carrot. The bonus live material aside - extra tracks on Stage/David Live/Ziggy The Motion Picture, plus Glass Spider/Storytellers/Reality Tour and Nassau 76 - he's kept the studio material to a few droplets. Not much is known about his vault either - unlike Prince, Springsteen, Neil Young, Dylan, The Stones etc who've all had stuff leaked and bootlegged.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: October 13, 2010 05:46

Can I get this Deluxe Set @ Best Buy??????

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 13, 2010 05:56

>The CD should be a straight audio version of the DVD, as per Glass Spider.

I don't have it in front of me but I am almost dead certain that the GLASS SPIDER dvd and it's attendant CDs are from completely different shows.

A lot going on in this thread!

Date: October 13, 2010 05:57

Nikolai
For some reason he decided not to play Golden Years on that tour. Didn't get played live until 1983. Sister Midnight would have been a nice inclusion as an Easter egg on the DVD.

What DVD??

Date: October 13, 2010 06:13

Glam Descendant
>The CD should be a straight audio version of the DVD, as per Glass Spider.

I don't have it in front of me but I am almost dead certain that the GLASS SPIDER dvd and it's attendant CDs are from completely different shows.

A lot going on in this thread!

You're absolutely right. Glass Spider CD is from Montreal, the DVD from Sydney.

Date: October 13, 2010 06:14

Glam Descendant
Nikolai
For some reason he decided not to play Golden Years on that tour. Didn't get played live until 1983. Sister Midnight would have been a nice inclusion as an Easter egg on the DVD.

What DVD??

The Station to Station 5.1 mix DVD, released with the box set.

Date: October 13, 2010 06:18

So Nikolai, tell me about the 5.1 mix. Is that all that's on the DVD?

Date: October 13, 2010 06:38

>The Station to Station 5.1 mix DVD, released with the box set.

Gotcha, I still see "DVD" and immediately think video, not audio. Whew, thought I had missed out on some video doc. of ISOLAR. I wish!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 13, 2010 07:10

The 5.1 surround mix of Station to Station can be summed up as follows: the trains at the beginning of the title track swirl around the room, then the album is primarily front, center and subwoofer speakers with the rear speakers being echo off the back wall of the soundstage. If you're expecting to be bombarded from all angles all the time, you may be disappointed. Try the stereo surround mix instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-14 07:31 by ab.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home